Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Davestr wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:41 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:44 am

This is my belief.

Remember in the mid-2000's when everyone bought a full size truck/Tahoe/Surburban/Hummer and gas hit $5/gallon in California? Next thing you know, Prius' are on the rise and tons of used trucks on the market.

It will happen again, sooner than later and I think Ferd is going to pay for this decision.
:like: :like: :like: + a billion barrels at about 80$ and the reality will change for some ...........again. We never learn.
All of this.

I was one of those people. Brodozer, diesel was $5/gal, and I had an ~80 mile round trip commute.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Apparently the gearing in the base 987.1 cars is also among the most useful for Porsche cars, dunno how I missed that. While most of their shit does 70+ in 2nd (the GT4 does 84!), the base 987.1 only does 66.x with 255/40/17 or similar... :notbad: for street and about perfect for national autox courses.

Long term idea of saving for an 07-08 Cayman for STR is sounding good. Same weight as my car with around 50% more average power and better handling+looking+sounding. Go go gadget depreciation.

:whocares:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:24 pm
Davestr wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:23 am https://wolfstreet.com/2018/04/25/carma ... ed-to-die/

Interesting analysis. Some interesting comments as well in the comment section. OPEC appears to be gaining strength again, and will the US consumer regret the big truck obsession sooner rather than later?
If you don't have a long commute and $5/gal gas makes you sell your truk, you're just broke AF and living month to month anyway. :doomed:
THE AMERICAN DREAM.

broke af
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:30 pm
Desertbreh wrote:Premium is high $3s/$4 here in Commiefornia anyway. If gas really does go through the roof, we've loaded so much tax into a gallon of gas that $7/gallon is easily reachable. Guadalupe will not be pleased.
Gas will keep going up. I have guaranteed that by purchasing a gas guzzling sports car, just like I've guaranteed that the stock market is going nowhere since I'm back in it. Whatever I do always turns out to be :wrong:
:eeyore:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote:Apparently the gearing in the base 987.1 cars is also among the most useful for Porsche cars, dunno how I missed that. While most of their shit does 70+ in 2nd (the GT4 does 84!), the base 987.1 only does 66.x with 255/40/17 or similar... :notbad: for street and about perfect for national autox courses.

Long term idea of saving for an 07-08 Cayman for STR is sounding good. Same weight as my car with around 50% more average power and better handling+looking+sounding. Go go gadget depreciation.

:whocares:
Good luck with that depreciation :doe:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

:plac: :plac: :plac:
:plac: :wasteful: :plac:
:plac: :plac: :plac:

Nicholas Cage "You don't say?".gif
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: There are a lot more people than you would think that are just :plac: for any number of reasons. Same people who are on their 12th relationship in 5 years, 12th job in 5 years, etc. Especially wimmenz. They buy a car and are :triggered: by some aspect of it and just can't stand it. No lecture from Maximillian Zhukov about the transactional costs, taxes, depreciation etc. utterly flushed down the toilet will sway them. Gotta :plac:
I found this late last night.

The truth is out. Plac profit never existed.

:notbad: , must've been on his last bag of peas when he wrote that. Raising kids is no joke financially, i can attest.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:48 am :notbad: , must've been on his last bag of peas when he wrote that. Raising kids is no joke financially, i can attest.
Especially these days.

One of many reasons the wife and I have chosen the DINK lyfe.
Nice! I'm up booked to see Dr. Deballster in two months. Get this, i am sorting out or taxes for 2017 and I got our childcare receipts for both kids, one of which is in kindergarden but has a before/after school program that costs us $. All in, $19.5K! Image
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Back to car talk, my .:R has recently been modded to keep the exhaust flaps opened permanently and there are some notable characteristics that improve the sound of the exhaust pitch now, mainly in mid range rpm on/off throttle and below. It just sounds real/pure and there are numerous joys that a flap happy R just can't offer. I recommend this update to spirited drivers. The whole muting + spinulator combo really is a German circle jerk in my opinion. I see why they do it but its bs. /rant.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Wait plac profit isn't real? Next you're going to tell me Santa isn't real
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I think :plac: is the only one who ever believed in :plac: profit.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Imagine being an adult and thinking that way.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

R doesn't give me a hard on visually so I'mma spend 5k instead of health care
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:32 am
Desertbreh wrote:
There are a lot more people than you would think that are just :plac: for any number of reasons. Same people who are on their 12th relationship in 5 years, 12th job in 5 years, etc. Especially wimmenz. They buy a car and are :triggered: by some aspect of it and just can't stand it. No lecture from Maximillian Zhukov about the transactional costs, taxes, depreciation etc. utterly flushed down the toilet will sway them. Gotta :plac:

I really think he's got mental issues. "I had 2 kids and now I'm on my last bag of peas" is fucking retarded. He had an expensive habit that he can no longer afford because life costs a ton of money. :dealwithit: :plac:

Also, of course he lost money on every car. He probably lost more than the $5k he's saying because you don't get a trade-in tax break on new vehicles in California. I bet it's $5k plus $$$$ wasted on tax. In that post alone, he's probably got $50k lit on fire.... which if he wanted to have kids he could have invested and not been in anywhere near the financial "crisis" he's in. He'd be rolling in peas rn.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:53 am
[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:32 am

I really think he's got mental issues. "I had 2 kids and now I'm on my last bag of peas" is fucking retarded. He had an expensive habit that he can no longer afford because life costs a ton of money. :dealwithit: :plac:

Also, of course he lost money on every car. He probably lost more than the $5k he's saying because you don't get a trade-in tax break on new vehicles in California. I bet it's $5k plus $$$$ wasted on tax. In that post alone, he's probably got $50k lit on fire.... which if he wanted to have kids he could have invested and not been in anywhere near the financial "crisis" he's in. He'd be rolling in peas rn.
The mental issues are real. The anguish he experienced (and continues to) over cars was :mindblown: Making terrible financial decisions over and over at the expense of your family's well being in the chase to drive cool cars is :mindblown: always has been, always will be.

Also, I thought the WRX was a lease?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

He definitely should keep the $30k car rather than get something like a Fit for half the money.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Its cool to be rich and a rebel and make an amazing car. Worth a look.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... us-ferrari
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Insurance costs are nuts, sure, but the dude also helped to make his own bed by throwing away $10k/year on cars, by his own admission, then buying/leasing/acquiring two 2015 Subarus that together cost nearly $80k with taxes.

It's just math. Don't get mad at math.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:50 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:48 am :notbad: , must've been on his last bag of peas when he wrote that. Raising kids is no joke financially, i can attest.
Especially these days.

:dat:

I knew long ago that I personally didn't want to spend money on kids.

The :plac: message reads like it's a setup for a plea for donations that is forthcoming.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:50 am Especially these days.

The :plac: message reads like it's a setup for a plea for donations that is forthcoming.
Yup. I was waiting to see "Don't forget to visit my patreon page!" at the end.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:53 am

Tax doesn't count, man. That's money that went to help the fine government of California. It's more of a donation than a loss.

:hue:

I'm sure he never counted the ~$600 in registration fees he paid each time he switched from superbee to his old gti to superbee to wrangler in the first year either.
Last edited by CorvetteWaxer on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:54 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:51 am

https://gofundme.com/lastbagofpeas.html
Got me, I clicked!
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:50 am

Especially these days.

Today when we got to work, we parked next to a Camaro with the sticker from your avatar in the back window. :tits: loved it and asked if we could put that in the back of the truck.

I'm against stickers, otherwise I would. People completely underestimate the cost of children and often forget that it's a choice you make. If you don't want to make the trade-off, don't. It's :lolol: how many people tell us how "lucky" we are that we don't have to pay for x,y,z kid shit. It's not luck, it's :math: and :science:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:57 am

Today when we got to work, we parked next to a Camaro with the sticker from your avatar in the back window. :tits: loved it and asked if we could put that in the back of the truck.

I'm against stickers, otherwise I would. People completely underestimate the cost of children and often forget that it's a choice you make. If you don't want to make the trade-off, don't. It's :lolol: how many people tell us how "lucky" we are that we don't have to pay for x,y,z kid shit. It's not luck, it's :math: and :science:
Exactly.

My sister and Brother-In-Law have 3 kids and they live a poverty life style. The kids are now 22, 16 and almost 15, so things are getting better... but they were paying $1500/month for insurance with a shittastic plan with massive copays and big deductibles since my BIL works at a smaller company that can't get the benefits of a larger group enrollment.

F that. $1500/month is a pretty nice car, or an awesome vacation every year.

BTW, I'm the same way with stickers, I won't have them.... Hell, I usually remove the obnoxious OEM badging like the Camaro had, and the "CORVETTE" script on the back.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:54 am

https://gofundme.com/lastbagofpeas.html
Campaign Not Found
We're sorry, but the campaign link you entered cannot be found.

I thought it would be real... :sad: