Desert Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:55 pm Really curious how you like the BBK on the 'hoe. I remember when that kit came out and the internal :triggered: over the price point almost killed them a few times. Then execs drove trucks with those brakes and were :mindblown: by the performance. The price is high, but they're truly an OEM-engineered BBK.
That fact makes them too good to pass up. Plus I'm getting them for 2 grandish, not 3 grandish. I think 2K is a very fair price for what is being offered.
For what you're getting, $2k is indeed a very fair price.

The installed dealer price on a new truck was pushing $4k IIRC, that would be a tough pill to swallow.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:11 pm

That fact makes them too good to pass up. Plus I'm getting them for 2 grandish, not 3 grandish. I think 2K is a very fair price for what is being offered.

The installed dealer price on a new truck was pushing $4k IIRC, that would be a tough pill to swallow.
:iono: 10k markups are paid by consumers, as are 2k for "paint protection" 4k seems like a bargain.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:12 pm

:iono: 10k markups are paid by consumers, as are 2k for "paint protection" 4k seems like a bargain.
This was back in 2017ish when they came out. So like $10k today?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

BBK is a lot easier to sell with the ladies than power adders. One deerstrike avoided is all you need and you're a financial genius.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:14 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:12 pm

Right... money go boom. Curious about this BBK... Kind of a wild choice to upgrade a Truck with ferrari brakes but I am here for it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:17 pm
Right... money go boom. Curious about this BBK... Kind of a wild choice to upgrade a Truck with ferrari brakes but I am here for it.
The existence of both the Brola and the BBK as Chevy part numbers was in my mind when I bought it. The new T1 Tahoe has fixed caliper fronts I believe, but the K1 has sliders. That's really underbraked for a 5600 lb. vehicle. After this I will have a K1 with the BBK, Brola, 6.2 and 10 Speed. All while being 6 inches shorter than the T1 Tahoe and not having rear control arms 2 inches from the pavement, My work will be done.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:26 pm

The existence of both the Brola and the BBK as Chevy part numbers was in my mind when I bought it. The new T1 Tahoe has fixed caliper fronts I believe, but the K1 has sliders. That's really underbraked for a 5600 lb. vehicle. After this I will have a K1 with the BBK, Brola, 6.2 and 10 Speed. All while being 6 inches shorter than the T1 Tahoe and not having rear control arms 2 inches from the pavement, My work will be done.
Fatrarri ? We gotta come up some sort of Nickname for that. Chubvet?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:28 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:26 pm

Fatrarri ? We gotta come up some sort of Nickname for that. Chubvet?
Forgot about the Hotchkis sway bars. It is a porker for sure. Throttle to the firewall, 420 hp and 10 speed is just NBD trying to push 5600 lbs.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:16 pm

BBK is a lot easier to sell with the ladies than power adders. One deerstrike avoided is all you need and you're a financial genius.
Interesting. Mine would go full blown :howdareu: :triggered: if I blew thousands on a brake upgrade.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:25 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:16 pm

Interesting. Mine would go full blown :howdareu: :triggered: if I blew thousands on a brake upgrade.
Tossing the Vette at high tide has provided a fair amount of marital equity as well.
ChrisoftheNorth

If anyone cares...

In 2015 there was a change in GM accessories leadership. The guy came from the racing world and promised some phenomenal growth in the accessories business. Accessories have the highest margin of any business in the company (outside of financial) and he somehow sold his vision to mgmt and got a blank check in return. He told the accessories managers to make new parts, no idea is a bad one. GROW

The performance parts people were limited to non-engine parts (because if an OEM messes with the engine post-production, emissions come into play and blah blah blah no) so they went all-in on trucks in other ways...including this BBK. Brembro was actually pissed at GM for being under-capacity for brakes (someone at GM promised Brembro the moon, they built a new facility almost entirely for GM, then the orders never came through due to cost cutting in production), so the performance parts dudes dreamed up this truck BBK to help with some volume since they were trying to keep a good relationshit with Brembro for performance variants. There was half a million K2 trucks (pickups and SUVs) being produced per year at that time, so even just a 1% take rate meant serious volume for performance parts. There were grand plans to offer them on special editions and whatnot, but those didn't materialize much when the price point came through ($4k for a dealer installed accy was A LOT in 2017). I believe they were added to some police vehicles, but :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:27 pm
Tossing the Vette at high tide has provided a fair amount of marital equity as well.
That would help for sure.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:44 pm

If anyone cares...

In 2015 there was a change in GM accessories leadership. The guy came from the racing world and promised some phenomenal growth in the accessories business. Accessories have the highest margin of any business in the company (outside of financial) and he somehow sold his vision to mgmt and got a blank check in return. He told the accessories managers to make new parts, no idea is a bad one. GROW

The performance parts people were limited to non-engine parts (because if an OEM messes with the engine post-production, emissions come into play and blah blah blah no) so they went all-in on trucks in other ways...including this BBK. Brembro was actually pissed at GM for being under-capacity for brakes (someone at GM promised Brembro the moon, they built a new facility almost entirely for GM, then the orders never came through due to cost cutting in production), so the performance parts dudes dreamed up this truck BBK to help with some volume since they were trying to keep a good relationshit with Brembro for performance variants. There was half a million K2 trucks (pickups and SUVs) being produced per year at that time, so even just a 1% take rate meant serious volume for performance parts. There were grand plans to offer them on special editions and whatnot, but those didn't materialize much when the price point came through ($4k for a dealer installed accy was A LOT in 2017). I believe they were added to some police vehicles, but :iono:
always enjoy hearing these. Would be curious what the take rate was in the end too. Do these hold up to towing also?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

If anyone cares...

We always care about real car company stories.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:00 pm
If anyone cares...

always enjoy hearing these. Would be curious what the take rate was in the end too. Do these hold up to towing also?
These launched horribly. There was internal fighting over colors (Cadillac gets its own shade of red on brakes, if you didn't know that), and the internal fighting delayed launch quite a bit. The best time to sell an accessory is when the vehicle launches, and these missed the K2 launch by a few YEARS because of internal political :bs:

IIRC, when they did eventually launch, take rates were abysmal because nobody knew how to sell a $4k installed brake package for a truck. Which was weird since not only can they handle towing, they're actually better for towing and unofficially increase towing capacity a bit as they fade less (particularly helpful on steep grades). BUT towing certification is a legal thing and isn't something the company wants to recertify after vehicle production, so the brakes don't do anything on paper. Even stopping distance is tough to communicate because it depends a lot on tires.

These probably aren't a money loser, though...GM sells a BBK for the T1 trucks and IIRC the caliper and rotor is almost unchanged from the K2 version. These are also probably more popular as upgrade/replacement parts on older trucks, so they'll have a long lifecycle, like Eric picking them up for his truck. With half a million a year over multiple vehicle generations, you can make a business case out of just about anything.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:47 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:00 pm

These launched horribly. There was internal fighting over colors (Cadillac gets its own shade of red on brakes, if you didn't know that), and the internal fighting delayed launch quite a bit. The best time to sell an accessory is when the vehicle launches, and these missed the K2 launch by a few YEARS because of internal political :bs:

IIRC, when they did eventually launch, take rates were abysmal because nobody knew how to sell a $4k installed brake package for a truck. Which was weird since not only can they handle towing, they're actually better for towing and unofficially increase towing capacity a bit as they fade less (particularly helpful on steep grades). BUT towing certification is a legal thing and isn't something the company wants to recertify after vehicle production, so the brakes don't do anything on paper. Even stopping distance is tough to communicate because it depends a lot on tires.

These probably aren't a money loser, though...GM sells a BBK for the T1 trucks and IIRC the caliper and rotor is almost unchanged from the K2 version. These are also probably more popular as upgrade/replacement parts on older trucks, so they'll have a long lifecycle, like Eric picking them up for his truck. With half a million a year over multiple vehicle generations, you can make a business case out of just about anything.
Yeah the T1 you can order with a waxable red but pointless rear slider that is identical....it is like $595 or some such. "Cadillac Red?"
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:47 pm

Yeah the T1 you can order with a waxable red but pointless rear slider that is identical....it is like $595 or some such. "Cadillac Red?"
Cadillac performance red is darker than Chevrolet or GMC red. You can't make this shit up...

The accy team wanted a version of these waxables for the Escalade. They bolt on (obviously) and those buyers blow money like crazy, so it seemed like a logic fit. In an effort to keep development costs in check, the plan was to take the Chevrolet red calipers and simply put the Cadillac brand on them in place of Chevrolet.

For a part to be approved for sale, there's a number of layers of sign off required...engineering, brand, design, etc. When the Cadillac design breh saw the calipers on an Escalade, he lost it. It wasn't Cadillac red. :wat:

Cadillac was going through yet another rebirth that resulted in the CT4/5 and they were serious about performance. They wanted every element to be unique to the brand, including the paint color on the calipers. The plan was color coordination across the brand for all models. Red on the calipers would be identical to red in the badge, or red inside, or whatever. It just so happened that the caliper approval timeline coincided with this brand development timeline, and when the 'Sclade rolled in with Chevrolet red calipers, the design dude lost it. He rose up a stank so strong that it almost went to the president of NA for the entire corp, and resulted in all the red calipers being delayed to make sure there was enough distinction between the brands or some shit. Since they were still in the midst of approval of the brand colors, it all got dragged out forever.

They waited a while thinking it would all come together, then ended up killing the Cadillac versions just to get the Chevy ones in market since there were other Chevy products with the same red on the calipers.

The story doesn't end there...

The Cadillac team dreamed up an Escalade V, and in early talks with the engineering team, the calipers were deemed essential (as they should be for such a thing). Since this was a production model, the calipers were to be installed at the plant, where they were to be painted the correct shade of red. You'll notice that the T1 Escalade has a BBK accessory...we simply bumped forecast volume for the part from the plant, and put those calipers in a box with the other BBK parts to be a brand complaint accessory. Better late than never?

If you put them side by side, most people can't see a difference (I can't). Under certain lighting you can tell, and if you're a highly trained anal design breh you can apparently tell, but that's it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:13 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:52 pm

Cadillac performance red is darker than Chevrolet or GMC red. You can't make this shit up...

The accy team wanted a version of these waxables for the Escalade. They bolt on (obviously) and those buyers blow money like crazy, so it seemed like a logic fit. In an effort to keep development costs in check, the plan was to take the Chevrolet red calipers and simply put the Cadillac brand on them in place of Chevrolet.

For a part to be approved for sale, there's a number of layers of sign off required...engineering, brand, design, etc. When the Cadillac design breh saw the calipers on an Escalade, he lost it. It wasn't Cadillac red. :wat:

Cadillac was going through yet another rebirth that resulted in the CT4/5 and they were serious about performance. They wanted every element to be unique to the brand, including the paint color on the calipers. The plan was color coordination across the brand for all models. Red on the calipers would be identical to red in the badge, or red inside, or whatever. It just so happened that the caliper approval timeline coincided with this brand development timeline, and when the 'Sclade rolled in with Chevrolet red calipers, the design dude lost it. He rose up a stank so strong that it almost went to the president of NA for the entire corp, and resulted in all the red calipers being delayed to make sure there was enough distinction between the brands or some shit. Since they were still in the midst of approval of the brand colors, it all got dragged out forever.

They waited a while thinking it would all come together, then ended up killing the Cadillac versions just to get the Chevy ones in market since there were other Chevy products with the same red on the calipers.

The story doesn't end there...

The Cadillac team dreamed up an Escalade V, and in early talks with the engineering team, the calipers were deemed essential (as they should be for such a thing). Since this was a production model, the calipers were to be installed at the plant, where they were to be painted the correct shade of red. You'll notice that the T1 Escalade has a BBK accessory...we simply bumped forecast volume for the part from the plant, and put those calipers in a box with the other BBK parts to be a brand complaint accessory. Better late than never?

If you put them side by side, most people can't see a difference (I can't). Under certain lighting you can tell, and if you're a highly trained anal design breh you can apparently tell, but that's it.
Yeah I looked at the Caddy website. They looked..........red. I was expecting like some kind of Deep Maroon thing. Also, the waxables should be STANDARD on the Escalade, not just the (nonexistent) V.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Equity on the house and the wife. Man has it all
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:25 pm

You're the guy with the rowing machine in your dining room and the Pickle Vette. Your freedom meter is strong bro.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I haven't even driven the pickle in almost a month.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:55 pm Really curious how you like the BBK on the 'hoe. I remember when that kit came out and the internal :triggered: over the price point almost killed them a few times. Then execs drove trucks with those brakes and were :mindblown: by the performance. The price is high, but they're truly an OEM-engineered BBK.
Yeah.. that is kind of par for the course for a brake kit, the stuff I wanted for the C5 was like $4K IIRC.

I am :notsure: why you're changing the fluid right before having a shop do that :doe: ?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:27 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:25 pm

You're the guy with the rowing machine in your dining room and the Pickle Vette. Your freedom meter is strong bro.
:dat:

I'm totes moving into Cale's third bedroom if the marriage ever goes south. And probably buying another Corvette.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:09 pm

Yeah.. that is kind of par for the course for a brake kit, the stuff I wanted for the C5 was like $4K IIRC.

I am :notsure: why you're changing the fluid right before having a shop do that :doe: ?
For reasons related to anal retention. Scour the master, get the rear lines clean, get the front lines clean........they when he pulls the front brakes, I'll give him a can of ATE Dot4R, he and he's good to go. Max's trip to the shop was a lesson in shops not really doing a brake bleed like you would yourself.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:09 pm

For reasons related to anal retention. Scour the master, get the rear lines clean, get the front lines clean........they when he pulls the front brakes, I'll give him a can of ATE Dot4R, he and he's good to go. Max's trip to the shop was a lesson in shops not really doing a brake bleed like you would yourself.
In a weird way this thought makes me feel better about my brake bleed. I've got all new fluid in there but taking it Monday to have it bled as there's air in the ABS system. Between me and them, it should be optimal. :troywax: :doe: :lolol: