Desert Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:01 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:34 pm So I've been a Michelin fanboi on here, but I changed the oil in the 440i on Sunday and did the usual once over whilst waiting for the oil to drain. The PS4S' on the rear on pretty much down to the wear bars after 18K miles..........with very little aggressive driving in that time period. My wife drives it like its a Buick. That's pretty shitty plus TR now wants almost $300/tire for PS4S. Going to try something else this time....
maybe https://www.tirerack.com/tires/continen ... tact-sport. Dunno. Going to try and eke 20K out of these f!@%$ckers, then the Brosteins and new tires go on. Staggered tires are an expensive indulgence in style. Just figure out how to put big ass tires on the front as well so you can rotate those things.

Yes, I should buy new sweet square ramz. I'll look into it but probably not gonna happen.
ECS is indistinguishable in performance from PS4S but does wear a little more quickly. Nowhere near quickly enough to make up for the price difference :doe:

You might want to look at alignment, the rears shouldn't be wearing out more quickly than the fronts if you aren't spinning them under power.
Noted, car will get realigned with new dampers. The fronts are typicallly a bit more worn on the outside since the car is an understeering machine....but the center of the front tires has more tread than the rears.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:34 pm So I've been a Michelin fanboi on here, but I changed the oil in the 440i on Sunday and did the usual once over whilst waiting for the oil to drain. The PS4S' on the rear on pretty much down to the wear bars after 18K miles..........with very little aggressive driving in that time period. My wife drives it like its a Buick. That's pretty shitty plus TR now wants almost $300/tire for PS4S. Going to try something else this time....
maybe https://www.tirerack.com/tires/continen ... tact-sport. Dunno. Going to try and eke 20K out of these f!@%$ckers, then the Brosteins and new tires go on. Staggered tires are an expensive indulgence in style. Just figure out how to put big ass tires on the front as well so you can rotate those things.

Yes, I should buy new sweet square ramz. I'll look into it but probably not gonna happen.
ECS is indistinguishable in performance from PS4S but does wear a little more quickly. Nowhere near quickly enough to make up for the price difference :doe:

You might want to look at alignment, the rears shouldn't be wearing out more quickly than the fronts if you aren't spinning them under power.
Not sure if his are different from mine, but usually you can't "rotate" the tires on bmws... but on ramp stunts kill my rear before the fronts.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:08 pm

Noted, car will get realigned with new dampers. The fronts are typicallly a bit more worn on the outside since the car is an understeering machine....but the center of the front tires has more tread than the rears.
Yea.. that's how my 335 and M3 wore also. All front corners and middle center rear.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Michelin treadwear warranty should subsidize the cost of new tires to where they are about 50% off. PS4S's usually wear around that 20k mark, probably about less for you since you live in scorching tumble weed temp land.

I would say AS4's are really good, way more treadwear and they were fantastic for my driving style on the GTI
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

AS4s would be more than enough IMO
max225

razr390 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:58 pm

Michelin treadwear warranty should subsidize the cost of new tires to where they are about 50% off. PS4S's usually wear around that 20k mark, probably about less for you since you live in scorching tumble weed temp land.

I would say AS4's are really good, way more treadwear and they were fantastic for my driving style on the GTI
The warranty is like 30k miles … which happens to be how long they last when they get down to the bars
max225

Treadwear: 6 Years / 30,000 Miles Half mileage for rear if different size than front

:lolgasm:

15k mile official warranty … yea that’s a big fat :dedong: from the warranty
razr390

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:13 pm Treadwear: 6 Years / 30,000 Miles Half mileage for rear if different size than front

I mean is it? Non-squared set ups mean that there's no rotating to keep the tires going for longer. No disrespect to Breh but I don't understand why there's a need for PS4S if the car is driven normally and isn't a performance oriented vehicle out of the box?

I understand that summer tires make sense in Palm Springs, but summer tires have little to no treadwear warranty and low treadwear rating. They probably wear due to a mix of mileage + heat cycles, and true spirited driving is what pushes them over the edge. As I mentioned with my experience of having AS3+ and AS4 on my GTI, they are great from all standpoints especially if you're not auto crossing or track day brah'ing the car.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Not to mention a set of AS4's last me 35-40k miles on a FWD GTI. It is the best value for performance, wear, and longevity
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I'm at 34,000mi on my BEATR Contis. I think I can hit 40k
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:13 pm Treadwear: 6 Years / 30,000 Miles Half mileage for rear if different size than front

Yep. No subsidy there.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:58 pm

Per Max's comment warranty is halved for staggered. I look cool :doe:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:17 pm

I mean is it? Non-squared set ups mean that there's no rotating to keep the tires going for longer. No disrespect to Breh but I don't understand why there's a need for PS4S if the car is driven normally and isn't a performance oriented vehicle out of the box?

I understand that summer tires make sense in Palm Springs, but summer tires have little to no treadwear warranty and low treadwear rating. They probably wear due to a mix of mileage + heat cycles, and true spirited driving is what pushes them over the edge. As I mentioned with my experience of having AS3+ and AS4 on my GTI, they are great from all standpoints especially if you're not auto crossing or track day brah'ing the car.
I could run AS for sure, I may consider it. I bought the summer because I LIVE IN FUCKING SUMMER.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:07 pm I'm at 34,000mi on my BEATR Contis. I think I can hit 40k
I was on the verge of 40k on the DWS's on my Mk6 when it was totaled. I was going to buy :225: 's that summer but obviously didn't.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:19 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:07 pm I'm at 34,000mi on my BEATR Contis. I think I can hit 40k
I was on the verge of 40k on the DWS's on my Mk6 when it was totaled. I was going to buy :225: 's that summer but obviously didn't.
Saved you hundreds
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:30 pm

Saved you hundreds
:fax:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

DWS warranty is 50k miles. So clearly they last longer.

Honestly I’d throw anything with a 400+ rating on the bmw and call it a day.

Good rule of thumb is treadwear rating x100 is how long they last …

Cries in 800 tw rating on the taco
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Why not just get an all season if you want long life and aren’t going to drive hard?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Oh I see I was beat to the punch.

:iono: get some sticky summers on the front and hard AS on the back and the car will drive a lot better and be cheaper to operate.

Michelin is so overrated.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:38 pm

Wrangler tires also seem to last forever, we’re at 40k miles and the tread is still deep. Wranglers and Tacos have got to be some of the lowest overall ownershit costs out there.
max225

Potenza RE980
Primacy Tour AS
DWS
GMAX As
Yokohama Advan sport As

Pick one ..
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:51 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:38 pm

Wrangler tires also seem to last forever, we’re at 40k miles and the tread is still deep. Wranglers and Tacos have got to be some of the lowest overall ownershit costs out there.
Yea the main issue is fuel. Everything else is a fraction of another vehicle
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Got some stuff going. The 2003 Tahoe is back from MX for an oil change. It also needs a fuel filter and I'm considering coilpacks since the current versions are 20 years old and have 170K miles on them. Plugs and wires are super recent. Taking my wife to the airport today as we continue our big summer of wedding attendance like we are 28 yoa AF. Run through a dip reasonably quickly but NBD for the new Brosteins and boom, a CEL goes on and it goes into "REDUCED ENGINE POWER MODE".......which flashes in the MFD. So it limps to the airport. No lie about the reduced power though, 50hp or so on tap. I limp it home, switch off the ignition, fire it up, full power. Check the code......https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/p2 ... le%20plate. I clear it. No repeats. I'll have mechanic look at it.

BMW ramz and tires came. Because I can actually rotate these with the square setup and because YOLO and because multiple forum verifications that I can run this particular tire square @ 255 40 18 without rubbing, I got another set of Michelin PS4S. I'll put them on this weekend. New Brostein B8s and strut mounts and an alignment on Monday. Should be a nice refresh. I'll put the old Ramz and tires on Craigslist. Tune in for encounters with lowballing vapers. Pics this weekend.
max225

Approaching 200k miles on a truck to traverse cartel territories is not an adventure that I'd embark on willingly... Hitting the mean streets of Sinaloa in limp mode while loaded on some wine is likely not going to end well. I think it is time to retire the ol beast to Domestic Desert Duty DDD. Where it can be serviced on a whim without life endangerment
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:34 pm Approaching 200k miles on a truck to traverse cartel territories is not an adventure that I'd embark on willingly... Hitting the mean streets of Sinaloa in limp mode while loaded on some wine is likely not going to end well. I think it is time to retire the ol beast to Domestic Desert Duty DDD. Where it can be serviced on a whim without life endangerment
None of this happens. Unless you consider every square inch of MX to be cartel territory, which you do, and indeed is not an unreasonable position I'm not going to get into my general safety precautions but I am aware that I am operating a 20 yoa vehicle is not without its perils.