Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:07 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:55 pm

Did you pass on an inspection? Surely they would've found some of this stuff.
The only way our offer could be considered was to waive everything.
Dang. :(
Sorry you're going through this. Can you DIY any of this?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:58 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:07 pm

The only way our offer could be considered was to waive everything.
Gonna have to. Basement quote was over $5k.

Actually this contractor was super helpful. He pretty much explained how to do the job and pep talked me into diy.

He also pointed out that my deck, which is only 2yo and nice looking, is a piece of shit and will rot itself away to nothing in another 2 years or so. Because it doesn’t drain water. It’s tongue and groove which I knew but we determined today that it’s pitched incorrectly and is actually draining the entirety of the deck surface area right into the foundation wall of the house. Which is stone. So it’s going to rot itself and rot my floor joists with it. I’m actually looking into ways to cut drainage slots in it and install gutters. For a fucking deck.

So that will need to have the whole deck surface ripped up and redone in about two years.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:15 pm
wap wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:58 pm

Actually this contractor was super helpful. He pretty much explained how to do the job and pep talked me into diy.

He also pointed out that my deck, which is only 2yo and nice looking, is a piece of shit and will rot itself away to nothing in another 2 years or so. Because it doesn’t drain water. It’s tongue and groove which I knew but we determined today that it’s pitched incorrectly and is actually draining the entirety of the deck surface area right into the foundation wall of the house. Which is stone. So it’s going to rot itself and rot my floor joists with it. I’m actually looking into ways to cut drainage slots in it and install gutters. For a fucking deck.

So that will need to have the whole deck surface ripped up and redone in about two years.
Fuck :rage:
What kind of :derp: s were the previous owners anyway?
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:59 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:15 pm

Fuck :rage:
What kind of :derp: s were the previous owners anyway?
I think just normal people that don’t know any better and hired a contractor that wasn’t the best. I think it’s a trap a lot of people fall victim of in general. Plenty of contractors will build whatever a customer wants even if it’s not the right way to do it.
wap

:word:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:29 pm So. New house is not great and needs a bunch of crap.

We spent $2k on the hvac system. Then the dude as he was leaving was like oh yeah it needs another $700 for a blower motor replacement but you should probably just replace the entire system because it’s old af.

Basement has silica dust literally everywhere. I can’t clean it up it’s clogging my shop vac and creating concrete in my floor washer. Need a pro for that. Basement walls are crumbling in spots so that would get repaired at the same time. We can’t put anything down there and have separate shoes for the basement. Contractor coming to look tomorrow.

Lights in the entire house dim and flicker when the washing machine runs. Have an electrician coming to look at that in a few days.

Found wood eating insect damage on the front porch which seems active, in basement which seems inactive, and holes throughout the entire house hardwood floors that seem old. The floors are disgusting here which we knew. But didn’t know bugs were the culprit. That was not disclosed.

Patio door frame is rotting and needs to be replaced.

The vertical supports installed in the basement are causing a floor joist to twist. The blocking installed to prevent twisting is digging into the joist and splintering it. Because none of that was installed right.

I dunno guys I want to nope out of this hell hole. How financially suicidal is that? Given I have about $25-30k of repairs that need to happen.
You're going to spend that on closing costs and realtor fees regardless, and will likely be back in the exact same situation in another house. In my experience, no matter how nice it looks on the walk through and inspection, every house is going to need a fair amount of work. $25k-$30k sounds about right.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

2023:

New HVAC, $16K
New Pool Equipment: $14K
New Roof Paper and Flashing: $17K
New Pool Tile: $6500

Not gonna count the $50K+ solar because that saves SRS $$.

Shit ain't free no matter where you live. I am hoping for a 2024 without capital improvement costs.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:30 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:29 pm So. New house is not great and needs a bunch of crap.

We spent $2k on the hvac system. Then the dude as he was leaving was like oh yeah it needs another $700 for a blower motor replacement but you should probably just replace the entire system because it’s old af.

Basement has silica dust literally everywhere. I can’t clean it up it’s clogging my shop vac and creating concrete in my floor washer. Need a pro for that. Basement walls are crumbling in spots so that would get repaired at the same time. We can’t put anything down there and have separate shoes for the basement. Contractor coming to look tomorrow.

Lights in the entire house dim and flicker when the washing machine runs. Have an electrician coming to look at that in a few days.

Found wood eating insect damage on the front porch which seems active, in basement which seems inactive, and holes throughout the entire house hardwood floors that seem old. The floors are disgusting here which we knew. But didn’t know bugs were the culprit. That was not disclosed.

Patio door frame is rotting and needs to be replaced.

The vertical supports installed in the basement are causing a floor joist to twist. The blocking installed to prevent twisting is digging into the joist and splintering it. Because none of that was installed right.

I dunno guys I want to nope out of this hell hole. How financially suicidal is that? Given I have about $25-30k of repairs that need to happen.
You're going to spend that on closing costs and realtor fees regardless, and will likely be back in the exact same situation in another house. In my experience, no matter how nice it looks on the walk through and inspection, every house is going to need a fair amount of work. $25k-$30k sounds about right.
Yep.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:17 am 2023:

New HVAC, $16K

Shit ain't free no matter where you live. I am hoping for a 2024 without capital improvement costs.
We just did HVAC too. Fun stuff.

The prior system was original to the house (1999), so we knew we were on borrowed time when we bought the place in late 2019. Made it about 4 years, but during our fall maintenance they found a crack in the heat exchanger and that was the end of that. Our savings account is $15k lighter, but at least it's done.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:21 pm

New HVAC, $16K

The prior system was original to the house (1999), so we knew we were on borrowed time when we bought the place in late 2019. Made it about 4 years, but during our fall maintenance they found a crack in the heat exchanger and that was the end of that. Our savings account is $15k lighter, but at least it's done.
I'll be happy to pay for another one in 15 years because that means I'm still alive.
Johnny_P

So our dryer has now caused about $400 in clothing and fabrics damage. It only has two heat settings: very hot and surface of the sun. So it’s shrinking everything including bed sheets.

So new dryer incoming. Just add it to the tab.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:27 am So our dryer has now caused about $400 in clothing and fabrics damage. It only has two heat settings: very hot and surface of the sun. So it’s shrinking everything including bed sheets.

Photo of this beast?
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:07 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:27 am So our dryer has now caused about $400 in clothing and fabrics damage. It only has two heat settings: very hot and surface of the sun. So it’s shrinking everything including bed sheets.

Photo of this beast?
Just a generic white dryer. It’s pretty new it just doesn’t have a low heat setting which is very wtf.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Did you get your dryer vent cleaned? Our dryer was only about a year old and it started overheating and shutting down. Got the dryer vent cleaned and it's all good now.

Vent guy said it looked like it had never been cleaned and the house was built in 97.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:40 pm

Did you get your dryer vent cleaned? Our dryer was only about a year old and it started overheating and shutting down. Got the dryer vent cleaned and it's all good now.

Vent guy said it looked like it had never been cleaned and the house was built in 97.
When the dryer vent is plugged it usually results in your laundry taking forever to get dried/because it is too inefficient to remove the moisture. It sounds like his problem is that his clothes get torched immediately.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:33 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:40 pm

When the dryer vent is plugged it usually results in your laundry taking forever to get dried/because it is too inefficient to remove the moisture. It sounds like his problem is that his clothes get torched immediately.
Yeah. Low heat setting is not an option on the selector knob. It’s absolutely ridiculous.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:07 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:33 pm

Yeah. Low heat setting is not an option on the selector knob. It’s absolutely ridiculous.
Maybe set the timer on your phone to take the clothes out before the cycle is done?
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:59 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:07 pm

Maybe set the timer on your phone to take the clothes out before the cycle is done?
Better solution is throw it in the trash heap. New dryer arrives today.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:24 am

Certain inanimate objects have wreaked such destruction upon your life that they need to be destroyed with fire...........no coexistence can be had.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:26 am

Certain inanimate objects have wreaked such destruction upon your life that they need to be destroyed with fire...........no coexistence can be had.
Take a baseball bat to the old one before hauling to the landfill. Fuck that bitch.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:30 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:26 am

Take a baseball bat to the old one before hauling to the landfill. Fuck that bitch.
Approved.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:21 pm

New HVAC, $16K

Thats cute.

My ac compressor/ condenser are from..... 1989.

Probability of failure this year?

The DIY splits seem to be working great in the rental. the heating bill is fully half or more of what it was last year. I may attempt to do DIY splits for the main house as well. Maybe do that and retain the central as well but with a smaller tonnage ?
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:38 pm Thats cute.

My ac compressor/ condenser are from..... 1989.
:impressive:

They don't make'em like they used to.
wap

Or that, though mine was cheaper. :lol:
Johnny_P

Spent the weekend scrubbing and etching the basement concrete floor. Half of it is done and very clean, ready to paint. So I’ll work on that this week and hopefully get it complete. Then move everything over and work on the back half.

It’s a lot of work. But at least I don’t need dedicated shoes for the basement anymore. It seemed to work pretty well on the front half.