Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:51 pm
wap wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:26 pm Fucking hell. :|
So what are you gonna do, tear it down and rebuild it or just replace the deck itself? Are the joists and posts ok?
I mean I don’t care if it rots away. It’s currently pooling water which drains against the foundation of the house. Foundation is stone and mortar so it’s just destroying that.

I’ll try and devise some sort of drain system I think. Like shower drains, or maybe slots, with PVC underneath to at least give the water somewhere else to go. Path of least resistance. And tar over the ledger board.
why not just jack up the edge and cut an inch or whatever you need to get the correct slope out of the supports?
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Drain line not cracked as far back as initially thought, so thats good news. hopefully inside is not corroding and they dont have to cut back as far.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Work complete on the sewer, just have to fix celling / walls. Came in less than expected too.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:10 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:51 pm

I mean I don’t care if it rots away. It’s currently pooling water which drains against the foundation of the house. Foundation is stone and mortar so it’s just destroying that.

I’ll try and devise some sort of drain system I think. Like shower drains, or maybe slots, with PVC underneath to at least give the water somewhere else to go. Path of least resistance. And tar over the ledger board.
why not just jack up the edge and cut an inch or whatever you need to get the correct slope out of the supports?
Because it’s bolted to the foundation on one side. Water is already coming in from the bolt holes so that would make it worse.

I’ll probably redo the surface decking and go back to a gapped board construction. And put a poly barrier underneath the deck on the ground with a slope to pull water away from the house. All the deck surface boards are warping anyway.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:18 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:10 am

Because it’s bolted to the foundation on one side. Water is already coming in from the bolt holes so that would make it worse.

I’ll probably redo the surface decking and go back to a gapped board construction. And put a poly barrier underneath the deck on the ground with a slope to pull water away from the house. All the deck surface boards are warping anyway.
i mean on the front or opposite side, so it drains away. You are overthinking this unless its a very unusual shape and in that case some pics might help us help you.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Home warranty service request just submitted. Had 17 items, from windows/door that don’t quite latch right and squeaky floors, to cracked drywall and deteriorated/missing grout and caulk. Hope these bitches don’t put up a fight and try to deny anything.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:37 pm Home warranty service request just submitted. Had 17 items, from windows/door that don’t quite latch right and squeaky floors, to cracked drywall and deteriorated/missing grout and caulk. Hope these bitches don’t put up a fight and try to deny anything.
Good luck. Every single claim we have made has been denied.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Drywall in rental restored this weekend for about 150 in materials. Had some light bulbs and a fixture that needed replacing in that figure too.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Jonny's pluming woes are traveling through the series of tubes. Different plumbing problem in the rental now. Sigh.
SAWCE

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:51 am Jonny's pluming woes are traveling through the series of tubes. Different plumbing problem in the rental now. Sigh.
“Accidentally” leave a tub of Metamucil behind next time you’re there.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:30 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:51 am Jonny's pluming woes are traveling through the series of tubes. Different plumbing problem in the rental now. Sigh.
Another sewer pump failure. due to shit being in the sump that dont belong. toothpaste tube. wipes. soap bottle. I'm calmly livid.
SAWCE

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:35 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:30 am

Another sewer pump failure. due to shit being in the sump that dont belong. toothpaste tube. wipes. soap bottle. I'm calmly livid.
Put a clause in the next rental agreement that any repairs that are necessary due to the tenants actions will be added to their next month’s rent.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

SAWCE wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:21 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:35 am

Put a clause in the next rental agreement that any repairs that are necessary due to the tenants actions will be added to their next month’s rent.
I did. the issue is I have no way to prove it was the current tenants, a situation I have to rectify in the future.
SAWCE

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:00 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:21 am

I did. the issue is I have no way to prove it was the current tenants, a situation I have to rectify in the future.
Yeah I’d be :rage: in your shoes.
SAWCE

Drywall guy is coming out on Monday to get those issues taken care of. Haven’t heard from anyone else yet.

Warranty company did reach out to me with the offer to extend our home warranty.. can lock in a rate of $50/month for the next three years. Anyone do this with theirs, or do you just move on to fixing things yourself/hitting up your insurance company for bigger things?
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

3rd pluming issue in three weeks...sigh. At least this one was easy, kitchen sink strainer basket. Had to go to HD twice because the fucking one on the sink turned out to be stripped....prob why it started leaking to begin with.

anyway...houses. hopefully the pipes stop being assholes for a minute.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Our washer and dryer live in the kitchen. :tits: isn’t the biggest fan and wanted to get a butcher block counter built over them for more work space/aesthetics but it was quoted at like $2500 when we got the other work done. I DIYed it for her for Christmas, sub $500.

golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:49 am Our washer and dryer live in the kitchen. :tits: isn’t the biggest fan and wanted to get a butcher block counter built over them for more work space/aesthetics but it was quoted at like $2500 when we got the other work done. I DIYed it for her for Christmas, sub $500.

very well done holmes
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:49 am Our washer and dryer live in the kitchen. :tits: isn’t the biggest fan and wanted to get a butcher block counter built over them for more work space/aesthetics but it was quoted at like $2500 when we got the other work done. I DIYed it for her for Christmas, sub $500.

Very :nice: and useful project!

Don't take this :wrong: but how TF is :dat: a $2500 job? :wtf: Can't be $2k in labor...
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:06 am

Don't take this :wrong: but how TF is :dat: a $2500 job? :wtf: Can't be $2k in labor...
Right? It took me a few hours including treating the wood, driving to a friend's to use a table saw, etc. I think that people just didn't want the job (too small) and priced it as such. One of the people who quoted me was even my brother-in-law (what the hell dude). My wife's sister's hubby; her sister is a bitch though and probably told him to fleece us because we're 'rich'. Funny thing was, all I asked him was if I bought/prepped the pieces, could I drive them out to his shop and pay him to cut them for me, which I would've happily thrown down like $100-200 and it would've been a 15 minute job.
wap

D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:53 am

Right? It took me a few hours including treating the wood, driving to a friend's to use a table saw, etc. I think that people just didn't want the job (too small) and priced it as such. One of the people who quoted me was even my brother-in-law (what the hell dude). My wife's sister's hubby; her sister is a bitch though and probably told him to fleece us because we're 'rich'. Funny thing was, all I asked him was if I bought/prepped the pieces, could I drive them out to his shop and pay him to cut them for me, which I would've happily thrown down like $100-200 and it would've been a 15 minute job.
:|
He's "family". He should've let you use his table saw for nothing. :disgust:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Nice work! Our jumbo gas dryer is slightly too deep for our small laundry room. The gas and vent make it stick off the wall 4". I'd like a nice solution like this but it would block the small guest bath.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

i've found everything is crazy expensive. lawn care, flowerbeds, misc work. Basically, no one is showing up to your house for under $1k. There is so much work out there for good qualified people, it leaves a lot of room for shitty crackhead work to move in. I just end up DIY'ing most.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:43 am

i've found everything is crazy expensive. lawn care, flowerbeds, misc work. Basically, no one is showing up to your house for under $1k. There is so much work out there for good qualified people, it leaves a lot of room for shitty crackhead work to move in. I just end up DIY'ing most.
I think this is very true for small projects. For bigger stuff, I've gotten some decent :dill: recently - got new countertops, backspash, big vent fan/bulk head thing removed, popcorn ceiling removed throughout house, recessed lighting installed for like $14K by finding individual contractors. A GC that is a 'friend' wanted $30K and 3X the time. Also got a full ~250' of pricacy fence for $5500, several yuge fallen trees removed and other trees trimmed for $2K. All super fair. But yeah, $100 to mow my yard I can DIY in 35 minutes? Nah.
wap

dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:43 am

:notwrong: , unfortunately. I had some luck a couple years ago bunching a few smaller projects into one "job" for a contractor I've used previously for big jobs, ex:

Rebuild front porch stairs
Replace some rotted exterior window trim on several 2nd floor windows
Some exterior painting up high

Each job by itself probably wouldn't have been too compelling but combining them gave the guy a few G's of work.