Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:14 pm
I know. Just need to find the time. Lots of photos to take, uploading, etc.
I hear that. I'm in the same position with starting my landscaping thread. Just can't seem to find the time necessary to :doit: :|
I wish posting photos was easier or at least google photos would play nice, but NOOOOO. That's the time consuming part.

And I have A LOT

Main floor exposed aggregate patio (which is also the roof of the lower level
Main floor glass railing w/ lighting
New asphalt driveway
Retaining walls around front
New landscape lighting
Rebuilt solarium
Landscaping all around

Still a lot of work to go, but it's really been transformed with what we've done so far. People in the neighborhood are :mindblown: by just the driveway, retaining wall, and landscape lights in the front.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:47 pm I added fake stained glass :tints: to the yuge window in my "office" to keep it light without staring straight at the neighbor's house. This stuff is pretty :neat:

I think I've used some version of this film everywhere I've lived now since 2012. Artscape is the company.

This looks really nice.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:29 pm Wife unit always needs a project....

She scheduled a kitchen remodeler to come give us estimate today and another on Thursday.... :rolleyes:

I am :disgust: because we will never get our money back and I don't want to stay in this house....

I know the common wisdom is that the kitchen sells the house and I don't disagree that an upgrade would help sell it when the time comes I just don't think we would get the $30-$50K back. We live in a very conservative housing market. At this stage of our lives I would rather invest that money in index funds than polish a turd.
What would be your plan?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:02 pm
Irish wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:29 pm Wife unit always needs a project....

She scheduled a kitchen remodeler to come give us estimate today and another on Thursday.... :rolleyes:

I am :disgust: because we will never get our money back and I don't want to stay in this house....

I know the common wisdom is that the kitchen sells the house and I don't disagree that an upgrade would help sell it when the time comes I just don't think we would get the $30-$50K back. We live in a very conservative housing market. At this stage of our lives I would rather invest that money in index funds than polish a turd.
What would be your plan?
I don't know for sure. I would like to downsize once my youngest graduates college. (~3 years) We wont be quite ready to retire by then so we would be tied to central PA but I'd like to find a smaller house with more tasteful, higher quality appointments rather than sinking $$$ into this place trying to get it where we want it. Probably just moving $$$ from one pocket to another but I'd prefer to have 5-10 years of "pride of ownership" in a higher quality home on nicer property.

That being said, its seems silly to move twice in 10 years so we will likely be here until we buy a retirement home elsewhere (Likely Carolinas but maybe the midwest). I think throwing $10-$15K at the kitchen here would be fine but any more than that and we are pissing our Money away. If it were up to me, we would just upgrade countertops, the sink and appliances call it a day.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:37 pm
wap wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:32 pm

I hear that. I'm in the same position with starting my landscaping thread. Just can't seem to find the time necessary to :doit: :|
I wish posting photos was easier or at least google photos would play nice, but NOOOOO. That's the time consuming part.

And I have A LOT

Main floor exposed aggregate patio (which is also the roof of the lower level
Main floor glass railing w/ lighting
New asphalt driveway
Retaining walls around front
New landscape lighting
Rebuilt solarium
Landscaping all around

Still a lot of work to go, but it's really been transformed with what we've done so far. People in the neighborhood are :mindblown: by just the driveway, retaining wall, and landscape lights in the front.
:ohdang:
Can't wait for your updates and pics!
:excited: :popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Irish wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:59 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:02 pm

What would be your plan?
I don't know for sure. I would like to downsize once my youngest graduates college. (~3 years) We wont be quite ready to retire by then so we would be tied to central PA but I'd like to find a smaller house with more tasteful, higher quality appointments rather than sinking $$$ into this place trying to get it where we want it. Probably just moving $$$ from one pocket to another but I'd prefer to have 5-10 years of "pride of ownership" in a higher quality home on nicer property.

That being said, its seems silly to move twice in 10 years so we will likely be here until we buy a retirement home elsewhere (Likely Carolinas but maybe the midwest). I think throwing $10-$15K at the kitchen here would be fine but any more than that and we are pissing our Money away. If it were up to me, we would just upgrade countertops, the sink and appliances call it a day.
"Just" those things would have a massive effect on any kitchen.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:41 pm
Irish wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:59 pm

:dat: Assuming the layout isn't objectionable and the cabinets are in decent shape, this is about all you'd need to do.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Irish

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:17 am
wap wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:41 pm
:dat: Assuming the layout isn't objectionable and the cabinets are in decent shape, this is about all you'd need to do.
We'd like to change the layout a bit but that would necessitate the added expense of new flooring as well. :nope: I think once we get the quote for cabinets, moving and replacing the sink, and granite or quartz countertops, the price will allow me to talk her down to counter tops and a new stove and dishwasher (we are due for both anyway). I may even build a simple spreadsheet showing her what 8% compounded interest does to $30k or whatever-the-quote-is in 8 years.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:22 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:17 am
We'd like to change the layout a bit but that would necessitate the added expense of new flooring as well. :nope: I think once we get the quote for cabinets, moving and replacing the sink, and granite or quartz countertops, the price will allow me to talk her down to counter tops and a new stove and dishwasher (we are due for both anyway). I may even build a simple spreadsheet showing her what 8% compounded interest does to $30k or whatever-the-quote-is in 8 years.
Why would you replace the cabinets if you aren't changing the layout? Are they in bad shape?
Irish

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:31 pm
Irish wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:22 pm

Why would you replace the cabinets if you aren't changing the layout? Are they in bad shape?
What we have is nothing special but they're fine,

She wants built out cabinets to be flush with the Fridge and the fridge moved over so we can get a deep pantry cabinet on one side

She wants the sink replaced and moved to a corner so it doesn't splash the breakfast bar...

She wants more efficient cabinets with drawers and pull outs...

These are all legitimately useful improvements but the cost, man, the cost!
wap

Irish wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:31 pm

She wants built out cabinets to be flush with the Fridge and the fridge moved over so we can get a deep pantry cabinet on one side

She wants the sink replaced and moved to a corner so it doesn't splash the breakfast bar...

Replace existing fridge with a counter-depth model. Boom, instant hella-flush :lol:

Moving sinks = plumbing changes = :waxer: . Try to talk her out of it, or offer to get a new sink/faucet but leave it in the same place. High impact change that you can do yourself.

These days you can get shit-tons of options to make existing cabinets more modern and functional, from soft-close hinges to pull-out drawers, dividers, etc.

My :scrooge: $.02...
Irish

wap wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:51 pm
Irish wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:59 pm

Replace existing fridge with a counter-depth model. Boom, instant hella-flush :lol:

Moving sinks = plumbing changes = :waxer: . Try to talk her out of it, or offer to get a new sink/faucet but leave it in the same place. High impact change that you can do yourself.

These days you can get shit-tons of options to make existing cabinets more modern and functional, from soft-close hinges to pull-out drawers, dividers, etc.

Concur, in spades...

I will offer to replace sink with a deeper one to minimize splash, install pull outs and acquiesce on some nice ass countertops....

Olde minds thinking alike since 69BC
wap

Irish wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:13 pm
wap wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:51 pm

Concur, in spades...

I will offer to replace sink with a deeper one to minimize splash, install pull outs and acquiesce on some nice ass countertops....

:fuckyeah:

All good ideas, IMO. Deep sink is your answer. :like:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:19 pm
Irish wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:13 pm

Concur, in spades...

:dat:

I'll also say that I really like our counter depth fridge. Sure you lose some space, but you also don't lose things burried way back there. Also looks :nice: and the fridge itself appears to be less massive in the kitchen.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:20 pm
wap wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:19 pm

I'll also say that I really like our counter depth fridge. Sure you lose some space, but you also don't lose things burried way back there. Also looks :nice: and the fridge itself appears to be less massive in the kitchen.
Love our counter fridge, too. And yes, while shallower they tend to be taller. At least ours is, so it still has full size fridge 25 cubic feet of space.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:02 pm

Love our counter fridge, too. And yes, while shallower they tend to be taller. At least ours is, so it still has full size fridge 25 cubic feet of space.
I don't think ours is any taller, but zero complaints about capacity.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:21 am
Love our counter depth fridge, too. And yes, while shallower they tend to be taller. At least ours is, so it still has full size fridge 25 cubic feet of space.
I don't think ours is any taller, but zero complaints about capacity.
Hmm. Ours is like 78" tall.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I was originally thinking that we'd want to do a full kitchen remodel including moving everything, but recently I'm questioning the utility of spending what would likely be nearly 6 figures. A smaller fridge that actually kind of fits in our stupid space with french doors plus an automatic icemaker would actually go a long way toward making our lives easier for like $2000. Of course we'd eventually have to replace our other appliances and sink because the whole world has gone to stainless and our shit is all white... :wasteful:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Haier-16-4- ... /317192203
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Counter depth keeps shit up front so you stay on top of freshness/spoliation issues. If you need more "space" what you need is a garage fridge. The life essential nobody talks about.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:08 pm I was originally thinking that we'd want to do a full kitchen remodel including moving everything, but recently I'm questioning the utility of spending what would likely be nearly 6 figures. A smaller fridge that actually kind of fits in our stupid space with french doors plus an automatic icemaker would actually go a long way toward making our lives easier for like $2000. Of course we'd eventually have to replace our other appliances and sink because the whole world has gone to stainless and our shit is all white... :wasteful:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Haier-16-4- ... /317192203
4 doors. hawt.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:15 pm
Counter depth keeps shit up front so you stay on top of freshness/spoliation issues. If you need more "space" what you need is a garage fridge. The life essential nobody talks about.
Yep, or a small freezer in the basement, which is what we have.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:15 pm Counter depth keeps shit up front so you stay on top of freshness/spoliation issues. If you need more "space" what you need is a garage fridge. The life essential nobody talks about.
We have space for neither of those extras, but realistically I don't think we exceed 50% of our fridge/freezer capacity except for Thanksgiving prep/leftovers... I can :dealwithit: for one week a year.
Irish

wap wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:17 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:15 pm

I have a garage fridge and I am getting a stand up freezer from my father-in-law's estate soon. I am excited about the freezer as it will allow me to order a side of beef from a local Mennonite farm.

She wants the look of flush front surfaces. Our current cabinet configuration on the fridge wall is 12 inch deep uppers and much deeper lowers. So a shallower fridge is not the answer.

I am thinking of perhaps trying to match our current cabinets with new in that section and if I cant, then perhaps spring for "refinishing" the other sections to match whatever I can find that closely approximates the style of the existing units.
wap

Thought I'd post this in the :haus: thread to kinda resurrect it.

:tits: had a bridal shower to go to this afternoon so it was a good opportunity to crank up the garage heater and do work, son.
I mentioned the other day that the auger on my 2 stage snowblower stopped working. Whelp, I took the thing apart today and, as expected, the belt was the culprit. When I took the belt cover off I found this.

You can see the belt jumped off the auger pully below.

Upon closer inspection, I saw obvious damage to the belt and also found chewed up belt bits inside.

At this point I should say that I was using the excellent owners :manuel: that came with this Craftsman machine when I bought it 17 years ago. It's got clear, illustrated, detailed maintenance instructions on how to change oil and plug, adjust or change belts, chains, drive disk, etc, It really is a manual written for a DIY'er. Good old Sears at it's best. :pouroneout:

Anyway, since the auger belt was fucked, I thought about the drive belt. Per the manual, the auger belt needs to be removed to change the drive belt and since they're the same age, and while I was in there, I figured it was best to just change both belts. So I took the manual and the old belts to my local Ace Hardware but they only had the auger belt. :mad: I had them check my next closest Ace and was told they had a drive belt in my size there so off I went to buy the other belt. Finally made my way home with both belts and went back to work.

To get the drive belt off the drive pulley, the whole snow blower has to be cracked in half. You can see more belt debris on the ground.

Old drive belt, with the auger pulley at lower left.

And both new belts installed.

A quick tensioner adjustment to the auger belt( the drive belt doesn't have a tensioner to adjust as it's always under tension), and donezo. Just had to put the 2 halves of the machine back together and fire it up to test everything before reinstalling the bottom cover plate and top belt cover. Minus the trips to both hardware stores, it took me about 3 hours. I could probably do it again in 2 or 2.5 hours, per usual.

Gotta say, I rarely get a chance to wrench like this any more, it was fun. Especially since it had a successful outcome.

Bring on the next snow fall.
Irish

Wow, I can't believe that this thread petered out two years ago when I was contemplating a kitchen remodel. For those of you that remember I was trying to do a refresh on the cheap rather than paying the freight for a complete gut. However, we found a guy who would do it for approx 2/3 of the going rates. He is a the son-in-law of wife units best friend at work and he does precise, perfectionist type work. We were thrilled with the results.

BEFORE

AFTER (but backsplash not completely done)

PANTRY AREA