Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
68%
Rent it
21%
:crang: in mom's basement
6%
:dong: grabbing frat house
3%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
3%

Total votes: 34
Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: 16 Heep / 09 Meata

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:12 pm

That kart track tho. :stig: :jelly:
Zildor the Magnificent
Mazderp Dillerman Extraordinaire
Garage: 2016 JKU Backcountry | 2009 MX-Cheez

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Mk6Veyron

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:29 pm

Aaaaad done!
ImageImage

Sent from my toaster using Crapatalk

:wap: Where are these mangos?

Detroit
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:00 am

wap wrote:
Aaaaad done!
ImageImage

:notbad: looks 5/7.

Where do your gutters drain to?
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

wap

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:08 pm

Detroit wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:00 am
wap wrote:
Aaaaad done!
ImageImage

:notbad: looks 5/7.

Where do your gutters drain to?
Thanks.

There are 4 downspouts (3 visible in the pics) that run and converge under the driveway and discharge into the lawn to the right of the driveway through a "bubbler" thing that sits flush with the grass but the top lifts up a bit when rain water comes up through it.

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:35 am

fucking hate HOA's, never again

cliffs from email im about to blast to neighborhood:
We next had a very lengthy discussion about the dues increase. I and a couple other residents expressed concern that there were not enough attendees at the meeting to approve such an increase.
Section 5.1 of the bylaws (attached) States "Assessments may only be increased by written agreement of 75% of the residents." Mr. x, the HOA attorney, stated that in the past the board has interpreted this to mean people in attendance at the meeting in question, provided they were given advance notice. While I disagree with this interpretation a vote proceed anyway. It is worthy to note Mr. x had to leave at this point. There were 11 homeowners including board members out of a potential 78 in attendance, and the vote was 7 FOR to 4 AGAINST the increase. This is only a 64%, however the board again determined that a simple majority and not 75% was all that is required to pass the increase. This is simply not what the bylaws state. I find it troubling that such a small number of people were allowed to make a decision for a much larger number not in attendance, a protection the bylaws are set up to specifically prevent.
Weekly :fax:
Ernest Hemingway wrote: There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:17 am

golftdibrad wrote:

We next had a very lengthy discussion about the dues increase. I and a couple other residents expressed concern that there were not enough attendees at the meeting to approve such an increase.
Section 5.1 of the bylaws (attached) States "Assessments may only be increased by written agreement of 75% of the residents." Mr. x, the HOA attorney, stated that in the past the board has interpreted this to mean people in attendance at the meeting in question, provided they were given advance notice. While I disagree with this interpretation a vote proceed anyway. It is worthy to note Mr. x had to leave at this point. There were 11 homeowners including board members out of a potential 78 in attendance, and the vote was 7 FOR to 4 AGAINST the increase. This is only a 64%, however the board again determined that a simple majority and not 75% was all that is required to pass the increase. This is simply not what the bylaws state. I find it troubling that such a small number of people were allowed to make a decision for a much larger number not in attendance, a protection the bylaws are set up to specifically prevent.
Stick it to those fuckers. And fuck HOAs.

Whose doors do we need to paint purple?
Zildor the Magnificent

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:35 am

Zillon wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:17 am
golftdibrad wrote:

Stick it to those fuckers. And fuck HOAs.

Whose doors do we need to paint purple?
lol, word to that. Just emailed the neighborhood. Fucking bullshit. If no one cares i'm going to start paying my dues in pennies.
Dear Neighbors,

Last night the Home Owners Association conducted a very informative meeting addressing various business since the previous meeting. We also had the pleasure to hear from representatives from both Audubon Square and the Shenandoah HOA's. I would like to take a minute of your time to go over the discussion. For reference, I have attached the bylaws, newsletter, agenda, and budget.

Mr. y went over the recent improvements such as the trees in the front of the entrance and the new street signage, both of which came out nice in my opinion. A fall social is in the planning stages, the budget was discussed briefly, and future improvements outlined in the newsletter were discussed. We had a somewhat lengthy discussion about how Mr. Falgout will be working with the board as the compliance officer. We were assured there would be adequate oversight on this issue.

We next had a very lengthy discussion about the dues increase. I and a few other residents expressed concern that there were not enough attendees at the meeting to approve such an increase.
Section 5.1 of the bylaws (attached) States "Assessments may only be increased by written agreement of 75% of the residents." Mr. x, the HOA attorney, stated that in the past the board has interpreted this to mean people in attendance at the meeting in question, provided they were given advance notice. While I disagree with this interpretation a vote proceed anyway. It is worthy to note Mr. x had to leave at this point. There were 11 homeowners including board members out of a potential 78 in attendance, and the vote was 7 FOR to 4 AGAINST the $100.00 increase. This is only a 64% majority; however, the board determined that a simple majority and not 75% was all that is required to pass the increase. This is simply not what the bylaws state even with the flawed interpretation. I find it very troubling that such a small number of people were allowed to make a decision for a much larger number not in attendance, a protection the bylaws are set up to specifically prevent.

This email is already longer than I anticipated, so I will conclude briefly. Neighbors, if you feel that this is unfairly biased as I do, I strongly encourage you to email the HOA president Mr.y individually to re-evaluate this series of decisions. I would like to propose we encourage the board to delay implementing this increase, and hold a binding vote as the bylaws outline in Q4. Elections for the board of directors are to be held at this meeting as well. I will also suggest that weekday evenings are generally not a good meeting time for most working folks, and that a Friday evening or weekend day will better fit most people’s schedule to encourage attendance. Finally, please discuss this with you neighbors and forward this email on to those who may not have received it.

Thanks for your time,
-golftdibrad
Ernest Hemingway wrote: There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:32 pm

sometimes, you do fight and win

:fuckyeah: :fuckyeah: :fuckyeah:
:fuckyeah: :fax: :fuckyeah:
:fuckyeah: :fuckyeah: :fuckyeah:
Greetings residents of Cross Gates,
As a follow up to last evening’s General Meeting, legal counsel has advised that the 7 votes in favor to 4
votes opposed for the dues increase only achieves 64%. 75% written agreement of the residents is
required to pass the motion. With this in mind, the proposed dues increase is frozen and will remain so,
until another vote is conducted. The results of the second vote will then go on record. The Board will
be distributing Voting Ballots to each residence, just as we do with the Newsletters. All 78 homes will be
issued a ballot to cast a vote “For” or “Against” the proposed Dues increase of $100.00 a year on
Wednesday August 29 th , 2018. From the issuance date, all residence will have 30 days to cast a vote and
submit to the Board. A drop box will be placed at 6461 Cross Gate Dr. at the front door. The submittal
deadline will be September 28, 2018. If a residence fails after 30 days to submit a ballot, they will forgo
their right to vote. Please encourage your neighbors to fill out the ballots once they are received and
submit them within the 30 days to allow their voice to be heard.

President/Cross Gates HOA
shit got fucking DONE. Guess people can be glad I was there to hold them accountable.

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:02 pm

in the meantime, 3 more emails rolled in from people disagreeing with the fee increase and /or not happy how it went down.

Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:44 pm

golftdibrad wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:02 pm
in the meantime, 3 more emails rolled in from people disagreeing with the fee increase and /or not happy how it went down.
Get on the board, dissolve the HOA. :trollface:
Zildor the Magnificent

D Griff
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: AARPurple Brub Tub

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:42 pm

So my plan of getting Allison to sell her townhouse next summer is going well. We're thinking we will go full :millennial: and rent a place in the shity for a year or two. Hopefully :doom: doesn't happen prior to summer. Interestingly, apartments in downtown proper are actually cheaper than the close to town areas I used to live, looking like it'll be around $1,300-1,500/month for a fairly nice two bedroom.

troyguitar
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: Screaming Dorito

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:44 pm

D Griff wrote:So my plan of getting Allison to sell her townhouse next summer is going well. We're thinking we will go full :millennial: and rent a place in the shity for a year or two. Hopefully :doom: doesn't happen prior to summer. Interestingly, apartments in downtown proper are actually cheaper than the close to town areas I used to live, looking like it'll be around $1,300-1,500/month for a fairly nice two bedroom.
Where do you park 3 cars? It's nuts that Corning, NY rent is nearly the same as that for a not particularly nice place.

D Griff
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:59 pm

troyguitar wrote:
D Griff wrote:So my plan of getting Allison to sell her townhouse next summer is going well. We're thinking we will go full :millennial: and rent a place in the shity for a year or two. Hopefully :doom: doesn't happen prior to summer. Interestingly, apartments in downtown proper are actually cheaper than the close to town areas I used to live, looking like it'll be around $1,300-1,500/month for a fairly nice two bedroom.
Where do you park 3 cars? It's nuts that Corning, NY rent is nearly the same as that for a not particularly nice place.
Unless it's fake news... time will tell I guess, but I found one I like that's like 1250 square feet for $1450.

The parking will depend on the place, that'll be the tricky part. Likely can get a place with two spots and will pay to keep the :poorvette: nearby, looks to be $150ish/month.

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:49 am

D Griff wrote:
So my plan of getting Allison to sell her townhouse next summer is going well. We're thinking we will go full :millennial: and rent a place in the shity for a year or two. Hopefully :doom: doesn't happen prior to summer. Interestingly, apartments in downtown proper are actually cheaper than the close to town areas I used to live, looking like it'll be around $1,300-1,500/month for a fairly nice two bedroom.
this was also my experience. Downtown can be cheap.

Johnny_P
Drives: Burble

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:03 pm

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote:

Unless it's fake news... time will tell I guess, but I found one I like that's like 1250 square feet for $1450.

The parking will depend on the place, that'll be the tricky part. Likely can get a place with two spots and will pay to keep the :poorvette: nearby, looks to be $150ish/month.
:notbad: living in the city will probably be fine. Really the biggest headache is where to park, so if that's figured out then go for it.

Johnny_P

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:05 pm

golftdibrad wrote:
D Griff wrote:
My "rent" is only $700/mo :hubba:

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:10 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
golftdibrad wrote:

and you complain endlessly about it. :disgust:

Apex
Drives: TrukYeah!

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:11 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
golftdibrad wrote:

Sink size is correlated to rent payments apparently.

Johnny_P

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:12 pm

golftdibrad wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:10 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

and you complain endlessly about it. :disgust:
Yep :dat: it's the one thing that doesn't suck about where I live.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny_P

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:14 pm

Apex wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:

Not anymore it isn't :megusta:

But anyway the place I had before this was $1k/mo for gated community, parking, package service, 2 pools, gym, 800 sf apartment, balcony, central air, etc. Quiet community next to the parks. Damn I miss that.

Oh well. Saving the bux now. I'd be cool with spending way more than I am but it's NGH in the city limits I think.

D Griff
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
D Griff wrote:

:notbad: living in the city will probably be fine. Really the biggest headache is where to park, so if that's figured out then go for it.
:word:

I'm not going to do the whole street parking thing, we'll have to figure out something that works with that, but many of the places have underground parking and such, the perks of a newer city. I'll probably end up spending 50-60% more per month, but my "rent" has been stupid cheap for years, I think it'll be worth it now that I'll be home more and be making more. Plus the long commute will be cut in half and most of the traffic eliminated.

It's not something we're into permanently (unless we change our minds once there) but neither one of us has ever lived in a proper urban environment, so we just thought it would be fun to try out if we can afford, plus she can score a lot of equity in the town house and we'll hopefully buy when things calm down a bit with the market.

In the past I lived about two miles from downtown proper and could walk to some things and stuff, but this will likely be among the high rises and stuff, could be fun to experience before fully committed to 'burbs life.

Johnny_P

Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:00 pm

D Griff wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:50 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

:word:

I'm not going to do the whole street parking thing, we'll have to figure out something that works with that, but many of the places have underground parking and such, the perks of a newer city. I'll probably end up spending 50-60% more per month, but my "rent" has been stupid cheap for years, I think it'll be worth it now that I'll be home more and be making more. Plus the long commute will be cut in half and most of the traffic eliminated.

It's not something we're into permanently (unless we change our minds once there) but neither one of us has ever lived in a proper urban environment, so we just thought it would be fun to try out if we can afford, plus she can score a lot of equity in the town house and we'll hopefully buy when things calm down a bit with the market.

In the past I lived about two miles from downtown proper and could walk to some things and stuff, but this will likely be among the high rises and stuff, could be fun to experience before fully committed to 'burbs life.
According to this forum you'll want to kill yourself for living in a city as well.

First the Hyundai then this. Why you hate life, mang?

wap

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:04 pm

Apex wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:

:lolol:

Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Apex wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:

:lolgasm:

:roasted:
Zildor the Magnificent

Johnny_P

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:58 am

Welp guise. I'm officially a moran. I skipped on this house because I didn't like the exterior and cabinets and such. I should have :stfu: and bought it apparently.

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Philadelphia/ ... /109202779

Original list $500k (it was $480k pre-build price), 1 year later it's $625k.

Ideal location, 2 blocks from grocery store, 3 blocks from subway stop, 3 blocks from a booming business district that's the hip neighborhood in the city, and last year it was on the edge of the development line but that's since been pushed out like 10 more blocks so now it's in the meat of the gentrified area.

So ugly from the street though.

• Information