Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:40 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:08 pm

:really:
Seriously. It's too soon to conclude "hating on it" IMO. A cross-town drive from the dealer to a shop tells you jack squat.
:dat:

I honestly appreciate the transparency. Very curious to see where things go.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:51 pm
Seriously. It's too soon to conclude "hating on it" IMO. A cross-town drive from the dealer to a shop tells you jack squat.
Just having a little fun boys. :zing: Everybody is supposed to jerk it to this thing like the second coming and our man in Indy has been having some real talk, that's all.
:dat: Reality doesn’t mean hate
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:07 pm

I honestly appreciate the transparency. Very curious to see where things go.
That's all I'm trying to be. I'm for sure going to give it a chance, we'll see how it goes. I pretty much hated the GTI right away due mostly to the bullshit the dealer pulled on me and now I think the MK7 is my favorite car I've owned. The arc of ownership can change a great deal over time.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Hey. At least you didn’t get a turdbox Honda family hauler to dri…. Nevermind
Johnny_P

Sucks you don’t have a mondo boner for it right away dude. Hopefully you like it more as you break it in. I guess if not you could probably make money selling it.

I remember the first time I drove one. Last gen. I came away wanting it bad. It’s why I bought the STI, it was the closest I could get drive wise but with 4 doors.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:57 pm Hey. At least you didn’t get a turdbox Honda family hauler to dri…. Nevermind
I think the new Odysseys are nice. :iono:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:07 pm Sucks you don’t have a mondo boner for it right away dude. Hopefully you like it more as you break it in. I guess if not you could probably make money selling it.

I remember the first time I drove one. Last gen. I came away wanting it bad. It’s why I bought the STI, it was the closest I could get drive wise but with 4 doors.
Yeah, it does. But right now I could for sure make money by selling it. We'll see how that changes over the next couple months. :notsure: that will last. Either way, when I stop to consider a $500/mo payment, $75/mo in insurance, reg, gas, maintenance, that easily adds up to $8k in a year for the thing. I could do a lot else with that $8k.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:45 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:07 pm Sucks you don’t have a mondo boner for it right away dude. Hopefully you like it more as you break it in. I guess if not you could probably make money selling it.

Yeah, it does. But right now I could for sure make money by selling it. We'll see how that changes over the next couple months. :notsure: that will last. Either way, when I stop to consider a $500/mo payment, $75/mo in insurance, reg, gas, maintenance, that easily adds up to $8k in a year for the thing. I could do a lot else with that $8k.
Yeah the cost is ultimately why we are single car.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:49 pm Yeah the cost is ultimately why we are single car.
No doubt. That a single car can work for some households is fantastic. When school starts back up in the fall, there will be no getting around needing two cars capable of carrying all three kids now that my wife is back in the office 2-3 days per week. That 3rd kid complicates everything.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

So weird walking out to the garage to this.

It's growing on me. I haven't driven it since Saturday, but I made a point to hit some side roads on the way back from Fort Wayne and am starting to get a better feel for it. I still really like the GTI, and given where I live a part of me thinks the GTI with a downpipe/tune and supporting mods would make more sense than the '86, but this car will be a lot of fun.

I caught two people taking pictures of it on the way back. I thought maybe it would get some attention until these cars are more common, but it's still odd in the moment. The first was in the Starbucks parking lot as I was walking out before the drive back, and another dude on a motorcycle pulled up next to me to snap a couple shots on the highway. That felt strange for sure.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I like this look.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Guise, you're making me want one of these, shortcomings and all it's a beautiful sports cars and possibly one of the last of it's kind. I've always wanted Miami Blue on a Cayman, so Fled's color is my personal choice, but this almost has a Golf R dark metallic paint that looks fantastic. Great choice, hope it keeps growing on ya and you get to enjoy it Coogs. Grats!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

That bloo looks great! I think you'll warm up to it once it's broken in.

There were a bunch of them at the autocross this weekend and they are quick as hell around the course.
max225

Great looking little car. I still dig it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tar wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:40 am Guise, you're making me want one of these, shortcomings and all it's a beautiful sports cars and possibly one of the last of it's kind. I've always wanted Miami Blue on a Cayman, so Fled's color is my personal choice, but this almost has a Golf R dark metallic paint that looks fantastic. Great choice, hope it keeps growing on ya and you get to enjoy it Coogs. Grats!

I want red :doe:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:56 am
  • The seatbelt isn't adjustable, and if I lower the seat all the way like I'd like, the seatbelt gets me across the neck and I'm adjusting it constantly.
This is seriously driving me nuts. Car drives great, doe.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:pouroneout:

August 2018 - June 2022

max225

Where did you end up selling it to?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:05 pm Where did you end up selling it to?
Carvana, of course. $23,917. :ludacris:
max225

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:07 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:05 pm Where did you end up selling it to?
:nice: :like:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:08 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:07 pm

Uh, yeah. $3,917 more than I paid for it almost 4 years ago. Just shy of 60k miles and I'm seeing sub-20k mile cars listed for <$30k all over the place. 0% chance they make any money on that car. The :dillerman: where I bought the GR86 said the best they could offer was $20k, it's no wonder Carvana is losing money hand over fist.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:13 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:08 pm

Uh, yeah. $3,917 more than I paid for it almost 4 years ago. Just shy of 60k miles and I'm seeing sub-20k mile cars listed for <$30k all over the place. 0% chance they make any money on that car. The :dillerman: where I bought the GR86 said the best they could offer was $20k, it's no wonder Carvana is losing money hand over fist.
Yea, my dealer didn't even bother "appraising" the Cucktrek when I told them we got a $35k offer from Carvana. He said their values "make no business sense" and they don't even try to compete. This was over 6 months ago, and I figured they would have changed things by now. Guess not. :impressive: :thisisfine:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:17 pm Yea, my dealer didn't even bother "appraising" the Cucktrek when I told them we got a $35k offer from Carvana. He said their values "make no business sense" and they don't even try to compete. This was over 6 months ago, and I figured they would have changed things by now. Guess not. :impressive: :thisisfine:
I've been playing Carvana roulette with the GTI for at least a year, and the highest it spiked was just over $24k back in November or December when I was contemplating buying that '21 STi. Over the next couple months it started to dip, and got down to just over $20k in probably April, but then it started to jump back up suddenly and I got the $23,917 offer in late May. I was shocked. But when it got back to that value I waited until a couple days prior to expiry, accepted, scheduled my pickup and done. :bye:

If I really want another GTI at some point, I'll go buy a different one. There was no passing up that offer.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:22 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:17 pm Yea, my dealer didn't even bother "appraising" the Cucktrek when I told them we got a $35k offer from Carvana. He said their values "make no business sense" and they don't even try to compete. This was over 6 months ago, and I figured they would have changed things by now. Guess not. :impressive: :thisisfine:
I've been playing Carvana roulette with the GTI for at least a year, and the highest it spiked was just over $24k back in November or December when I was contemplating buying that '21 STi. Over the next couple months it started to dip, and got down to just over $20k in probably April, but then it started to jump back up suddenly and I got the $23,917 offer in late May. I was shocked. But when it got back to that value I waited until a couple days prior to expiry, accepted, scheduled my pickup and done. :bye:

If I really want another GTI at some point, I'll go buy a different one. There was no passing up that offer.
Oh, interesting you've been tracking prices and that you somehow managed to sell at a near high. :impressive:

GTIs aren't particularly rare or unique, I think you made the right move.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.