The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:27 pm I am tired of reading Car and Driver articles about CTR vs. Golf R vs. GRolla and then having dealers have them ALL at MSRP +20K. I'll just throw on some new ramz and dampers to quell the :plac:
Yea the Type R/Craprolla +$20k is just absolutely :disgust: the bigger issue with toyota is ... it is not even available. :dislike: Like there are MANY MANY Hype R's around and ready to go... with 5-15k markups... yet there are NO corollas anywhere... Toyota is doing what Honda used to do 6 months ago.. Restricting supply artificially. Absolutely :disgust:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:33 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:04 pm is this a :baby: thread?
Dood has 3 CF. He has to make car decisions accordingly.
:dat:

Who's in for more :minivan: content? :lol:
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:18 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:33 pm

Dood has 3 CF. He has to make car decisions accordingly.

Who's in for more :minivan: content? :lol:
:jimp:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

max225 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:47 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:27 pm I am tired of reading Car and Driver articles about CTR vs. Golf R vs. GRolla and then having dealers have them ALL at MSRP +20K. I'll just throw on some new ramz and dampers to quell the :plac:
Yea the Type R/Craprolla +$20k is just absolutely :disgust: the bigger issue with toyota is ... it is not even available. :dislike: Like there are MANY MANY Hype R's around and ready to go... with 5-15k markups... yet there are NO corollas anywhere... Toyota is doing what Honda used to do 6 months ago.. Restricting supply artificially. Absolutely :disgust:
Why do you think the supply constraint is artificial? That doesn't make any sense. Why would they do that?
max225

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:14 am
max225 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:47 pm

Why do you think the supply constraint is artificial? That doesn't make any sense. Why would they do that?
To drive prices up. They are also focused on making only the highest trim levels. Their ceo openly talked about how they expect ATPs to go way up.

Why sell 100’cars at $100 profit when you can sell 50 at $250 type situation.

This is exactly why they lost global market share to tesla in Q1. Now the worlds best selling car is a model Y and not a Corolla.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

They sell to dealers. Toyota OEM isn't making more money by "artificially" restricting supply. They're making less money! There are tons of fixed costs associated with launching a vehicle. They want to spread that out over as much volume as possible.

They probably grossly under forecasted the demand, or there are other constraints stopping more production. But I can guarantee you it's not some artificial conspiracy theory.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:31 am They sell to dealers. Toyota OEM isn't making more money by "artificially" restricting supply. They're making less money! There are tons of fixed costs associated with launching a vehicle. They want to spread that out over as much volume as possible.

They probably grossly under forecasted the demand, or there are other constraints stopping more production. But I can guarantee you it's not some artificial conspiracy theory.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I think the only counter point is that :dillerman: markup allows pretty large hikes in MSRP to go unnoticed. As hype dies down a bit if the average price of a GRolla was $55K, it can more or less stay there or meet in the middle.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

On the same subject of "is this a baby thread"

Do we have a dog / pet thread?
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:42 pm I think the only counter point is that :dillerman: markup allows pretty large hikes in MSRP to go unnoticed. As hype dies down a bit if the average price of a GRolla was $55K, it can more or less stay there or meet in the middle.
That's a fair point. The new CTR is like $5k more than the prior gen, I'm sure in part due to how much dealers were marking up the FK8. Actual cost increases I'm sure played some part as well, but I doubt that was all of it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:13 am On the same subject of "is this a baby thread"

I thought we did, way back when. :notsure:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:13 am On the same subject of "is this a baby thread"

Start one! Below are pics of my :doge: enjoying sports car life (relevant since this is one of our 86 threads).
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Nevermind... photos aren't uploading on mobile :rage:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The alternator in the Odyssey :poop: the bed today. :ayfkm:

Had a return at REI, fired up the van, and immediately a "check charge system" message popped up. Radio wouldn't work, battery and ABS lights on. Car wouldn't go into gear either, strangely. I tried raising the revs a bit, but that didn't do anything. Shut the car off, got a jump from my wife who came to rescue me. Fired right up, so the battery took a charge - that's good. By the time I got the cables off and the hoods shut, got inside the van and about 3 seconds later the message came back. Clearly the alternator isn't doing its job. So now it's parked in the REI lot and I have to decide if I want to do an alternator swap in their parking lot and then jump it again, slap a new battery in it and risk limping it home to do said alternator swap in the driveway, or have the bitch towed. Stupid hooptie.
Desertbreh

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:09 pm The alternator in the Odyssey :poop: the bed today. :ayfkm:

Had a return at REI, fired up the van, and immediately a "check charge system" message popped up. Radio wouldn't work, battery and ABS lights on. Car wouldn't go into gear either, strangely. I tried raising the revs a bit, but that didn't do anything. Shut the car off, got a jump from my wife who came to rescue me. Fired right up, so the battery took a charge - that's good. By the time I got the cables off and the hoods shut, got inside the van and about 3 seconds later the message came back. Clearly the alternator isn't doing its job. So now it's parked in the REI lot and I have to decide if I want to do an alternator swap in their parking lot and then jump it again, slap a new battery in it and risk limping it home to do said alternator swap in the driveway, or have the bitch towed. Stupid hooptie.
I would tow it. I'm not too cool to have a hooptie (obvi) but I am too cool to wrench on one in a public parking lot. You don't have AAA?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:09 pm The alternator in the Odyssey :poop: the bed today. :ayfkm:

Damn getting stranded in public is a major :triggered: event for me. Sorry to hear that happened.

How bad is the alternator job ? On rwd engines with longitudinal engines it usually ok but some of these transverse motors can have major knuckle busters.

I’d probably do it in the lot if it takes less than 30 min otherwise I’d take the L and get it towed.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

tow is ~100 bucks. get it pulled to the domicile for the job.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thanks fellas. There was quite a bit of corrosion on the battery terminals and it looked pretty old - there's no history of a battery replacement in the CarFax - so I decided to throw a battery in it after taking a wire brush to those terminals, cleaning them up, and putting new dialectric grease on them. Thankfully the Costco is across the street and just down the road about a quarter mile, so it's got a brand new Interstate battery. I managed to limp it home with the radio, HVAC and all turned off, made it just fine, if rather sweaty.

Sometime today or tomorrow I'll run out and grab a new alternator, it doesn't look like too bad of a job, but sheesh I had no idea a reman alternator is now more than $300. Fack. The only tricky bits look to be removing the power steering reservoir and washer fluid tank and not making a huge mess. It's down low, but it looks like there's decent access once those two things are out of the way, it shouldn't be too bad of a job (I hope).
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:00 pm Thanks fellas. There was quite a bit of corrosion on the battery terminals and it looked pretty old - there's no history of a battery replacement in the CarFax - so I decided to throw a battery in it after taking a wire brush to those terminals, cleaning them up, and putting new dialectric grease on them. Thankfully the Costco is across the street and just down the road about a quarter mile, so it's got a brand new Interstate battery. I managed to limp it home with the radio, HVAC and all turned off, made it just fine, if rather sweaty.

Sometime today or tomorrow I'll run out and grab a new alternator, it doesn't look like too bad of a job, but sheesh I had no idea a reman alternator is now more than $300. Fack. The only tricky bits look to be removing the power steering reservoir and washer fluid tank and not making a huge mess. It's down low, but it looks like there's decent access once those two things are out of the way, it shouldn't be too bad of a job (I hope).
I did the timing belt on the MDX and they have the same basic layout and similar first steps.

The PS reservoir is a PITA. And make sure you get PS fluid for HONDAs, learned the hard way on the previous RDX that regular ATF/ps fluid is not compatible....
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:50 am I did the timing belt on the MDX and they have the same basic layout and similar first steps.

The PS reservoir is a PITA. And make sure you get PS fluid for HONDAs, learned the hard way on the previous RDX that regular ATF/ps fluid is not compatible....
Yeah, gotta stop at the :dillerman: to pick up some Honda PS fluid today hopefully, then I'll be good to go. We were busy all weekend and I had no chance to work on the van. New alternator is in the garage, hopefully I'll have time to tackle the job tomorrow.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:35 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:50 am I did the timing belt on the MDX and they have the same basic layout and similar first steps.

Yeah, gotta stop at the :dillerman: to pick up some Honda PS fluid today hopefully, then I'll be good to go. We were busy all weekend and I had no chance to work on the van. New alternator is in the garage, hopefully I'll have time to tackle the job tomorrow.
I fell that, i was busy all weekend on the rental. We got the shitter repaired, tub epoxy removed, new sink in, toilet set, and all the waterworks connected. Indoor plumbing restored. just gotta paint the rest of the joint now...
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:56 am I fell that, i was busy all weekend on the rental. We got the shitter repaired, tub epoxy removed, new sink in, toilet set, and all the waterworks connected. Indoor plumbing restored. just gotta paint the rest of the joint now...
We just had kid shit. It was nice, but I had no time to myself. We spent all day Saturday at some friends' house with a pool and let the kids go nuts from about 9am until almost 7pm. Yesterday it was raining all day, so we took the kids with some other friends and their kids to the Childrens' Museum. Didn't get home until about 5, made dinner, and then had a movie night until bed. Had fun with the little brood, but I'm exhausted. :lol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Yeah that's tempting.

golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:40 pm Yeah that's tempting.

Do they also haul away your balls for that kind of money?

:trollface: :trollface: :trollface:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:45 am Do they also haul away your balls for that kind of money?

:trollface: :trollface: :trollface:
Eh. What do I need'em for at this point?