Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:09 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:56 pm

I'm not mad :bruh: the garage is badass. And you had the C5 for five years, I'd say you did your time, had your fun, :plac: came on, and it will come again. :stig: won't be gone forever.

Our realtor (and car guy friend - the one who bought the bloo C3) wants me to consider buying a house sans garage and building... but I just can't ever see getting :tits: approval to :troywax: on such a thing. You've done well.
The real challenge is finding a house with enough setback from the property lines that you can build a modern garage.

And then adhering to code for said garage.

Not easy in a high density area.
Yep, exactly. I've wanted a bigger garage at every house we've been at and it proved impossible. We picked our house and neighborhood in part because of the ability to build a garage.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:23 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:13 pm The $50k+ cost with zero resale value is a slight issue. :troywax:
:dat:

I do think it may add a bit, houses with garages seem more expensive anecdotally. Trouble is no houses were built with garages here until the 1980s, and most of those are far away.
Our old garage was sunk in the ground and ready to fall down...most would consider it not usable. So to go from essentially a hazard/liability to a nice, new usable garage certainly adds value especially in my neighborhood where all houses have a 2 car garage at minimum (many have 3 cars). I won't get out what I put in, but I'll get much use out of it so it's worth it to me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:23 pm :dat:

I do think it may add a bit, houses with garages seem more expensive anecdotally. Trouble is no houses were built with garages here until the 1980s, and most of those are far away.
Our old garage was sunk in the ground and ready to fall down...most would consider it not usable. So to go from essentially a hazard/liability to a nice, new usable garage certainly adds value especially in my neighborhood where all houses have a 2 car garage at minimum (many have 3 cars). I won't get out what I put in, but I'll get much use out of it so it's worth it to me.
Not trying to play "gotcha" or anything but at some point can you share some real OTD costs?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Our old garage was sunk in the ground and ready to fall down...most would consider it not usable. So to go from essentially a hazard/liability to a nice, new usable garage certainly adds value especially in my neighborhood where all houses have a 2 car garage at minimum (many have 3 cars). I won't get out what I put in, but I'll get much use out of it so it's worth it to me.
Not trying to play "gotcha" or anything but at some point can you share some real OTD costs?

I definitely understand if you don't want to share due to the :wrong: epidemic here, I promise i would never ridicule and think it's worth it. But I'd love to know as this could be something that I do one day (and also given our current house search could be an interesting data point).
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:40 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:49 pm Not trying to play "gotcha" or anything but at some point can you share some real OTD costs?

I definitely understand if you don't want to share due to the :wrong: epidemic here, I promise i would never ridicule and think it's worth it. But I'd love to know as this could be something that I do one day (and also given our current house search could be an interesting data point).
:wrong:

he must share the :math:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:47 am75k
Max wins with surprising accuracy.

However, the city requires us to use fancy siding material, the stucco to match our house is a full $5k more than vinyl would be. We also did fancier windows and doors, increasing the price by another $5k. It could be done for $60k with other savings opportunities.
ChrisoftheNorth

Went up North for the weekend, and on the way found some state Forrest roads to explore. Nothing requiring more than 2wd :doe:

Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:42 am Went up North for the weekend, and on the way found some state Forrest roads to explore. Nothing requiring more than 2wd :doe:

:fap:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:42 am Went up North for the weekend, and on the way found some state Forrest roads to explore. Nothing requiring more than 2wd :doe:

:neat: Punk'n with blackcents looks so awesome.
max225

This is exactly where it belongs ! Great pics, keep em coming
max225

Also curious about mpg
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Whoreange for the win. That's a nice rig!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

That's a badass truck sir. Love it!
ChrisoftheNorth

Spent 500 miles in it on a trip up north. A few impressions:

It was super windy both on the way up and down. Very little impact on tracking and drive. Not actually sure it's any worse than the ZR2 was...that thing blew around in strong wind pretty easily. Aero was to blame there, same with the Gladiator, but I think the longer wheelbase helps. LIGHTYEARS better than my JK was...that thing was just constant correcting all the time that drove significant fatigue after just an hour or so.

Wind noise was very apparent, especially in wind gusts, but wife and I had no issue holding conversations at normal levels. Could hear the radio just fine too. Indeed loud, but it just didn't bother us, even after hours behind the wheel. Again, my JK was so much worse, this thing felt like a tomb by comparison. I can see how it would annoy people used to other vehicles, but for us it's a non-issue.

I love the driving position. I see people on forums complaining about lack of headroom, but I just don't see that. It's super comfortable, and I like that both of my legs can sit straight out like I'm in a chair. In the Colorado, my right leg had to sit at an angle around the steering column, resting on the console. My knee would get sore from that, and worse my ankle would get really tired when it stop and go traffic. Drove 4.5 hours straight yesterday and felt perfectly fine when I got home. Was surprised by that, actually.

Halogen headlights really are fine...drove plenty in the dark, really surprised by how much they don't suck.

Small screen and base audio is still perfectly fine too. The biggest thing I miss about the bigger screen is when using Android Auto (which I do 99% of the time), the 8.4" screen keeps shortcuts to various things along the bottom making it simple to change a radio station or climate setting. The 7" requires you to tap the home button for android auto then hit exit to get back to the main screen for something as simple as changing the radio station. Fortunately, the left steering wheel control can let you seek AND rotate through favorites, so it's not a major deal IMO.

I didn't calc MPG, but at the end of all of it, it's indicating 18.5 mpg. That's driving 75-80...anything more than that and the efficiency absolutely tanks. I don't really speed much above 80 anyway, so it's fine by me.

The engine and transmission are an absolute perfect match. The engine actually sounds pretty good when revved where it wants to be, and the trans is just as eager to shift as a JL, which is so much more fun to drive. Rolling 10 mph in traffic in a slow lane and see an opening in the next lane, there's confidence the trans will downshift with minimal effort and get you up to speed with ease. With the Colorado, I had to floor it, wait a few seconds for it to downshift, then take off into the other lane as traffic is barreling down, then let off suddenly because it was going too fast. The 3.6 and ZF 8-speed is a godsend by comparison. Not once did I really wish for more power or speed. Not fast, but perfectly adequate for what the vehicle is.

Overall, my complaints are minimal. I'm absolutely smitten with the thing. We'll see how that continues the more I drive it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh, and the attention it gets is insane. Every time we stopped...rest stop, gas station, hotel, winery, etc...always got a comment, question, and at minimum stares. It garners more attention than any vehicle I've been in. Not sure it's all positive, but it certainly gets attention.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:fuckyeah:

lookin great dude!
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:41 am Spent 500 miles in it on a trip up north. A few impressions:
Nice!
Your thoughts pretty much mirror mine on the JL I had recently.
Does the JT get a dead pedal? The JL we had did not have one, I'd probably look to add one for some more long haul comfort.
V6 and 8AT is a perfect combo for sure, those two have been expertly tuned. I think I'd probably go with the V6, really. Sounds better and should be more consistent since it's a natty. Fuel bennies were minimal to non-existent.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:53 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:41 am Spent 500 miles in it on a trip up north. A few impressions:
Nice!
Does the JT get a dead pedal? The JL we had did not have one, I'd probably look to add one for some more long haul comfort.
V6 and 8AT is a perfect combo for sure, those two have been expertly tuned. I think I'd probably go with the V6, really. Sounds better and should be more consistent since it's a natty. Fuel bennies were minimal to non-existent.
No dead pedal...I've heard a lot of people asking for one, and I frankly don't get it.

When I'm on the highway, I set cruise and remove my foot from the accelerator. Without a dead pedal in the way for me, I feel like I'm just sitting in a rather comfy chair with both feet flat on the ground. I like it.

I have big feet...size 13 many times 14...and to me dead pedals in anything other than a sports car get in the way. I find the foot and knee space to be far more comfortable in the JL/T than the Colorado was.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:09 pm I'd love a dead pedal in the JK.

And some heat shielding. My right foot gets real hot.
I do recall the heat from my JK being strong too. IIRC, there was extra shielding added to the JL. I never noticed any heat on my right foot after 4 hours of driving.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:48 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:53 am

Nice!
No dead pedal...I've heard a lot of people asking for one, and I frankly don't get it.

When I'm on the highway, I set cruise and remove my foot from the accelerator. Without a dead pedal in the way for me, I feel like I'm just sitting in a rather comfy chair with both feet flat on the ground. I like it.

I have big feet...size 13 many times 14...and to me dead pedals in anything other than a sports car get in the way. I find the foot and knee space to be far more comfortable in the JL/T than the Colorado was.
:dedong:
max225

It was super windy both on the way up and down. Very little impact on tracking and drive. Not actually sure it's any worse than the ZR2 was...that thing blew around in strong wind pretty easily. Aero was to blame there, same with the Gladiator, but I think the longer wheelbase helps. LIGHTYEARS better than my JK was...that thing was just constant correcting all the time that drove significant fatigue after just an hour or so.

Wind noise was very apparent, especially in wind gusts, but wife and I had no issue holding conversations at normal levels. Could hear the radio just fine too. Indeed loud, but it just didn't bother us, even after hours behind the wheel. Again, my JK was so much worse, this thing felt like a tomb by comparison. I can see how it would annoy people used to other vehicles, but for us it's a non-issue.

I love the driving position. I see people on forums complaining about lack of headroom, but I just don't see that. It's super comfortable, and I like that both of my legs can sit straight out like I'm in a chair. In the Colorado, my right leg had to sit at an angle around the steering column, resting on the console. My knee would get sore from that, and worse my ankle would get really tired when it stop and go traffic. Drove 4.5 hours straight yesterday and felt perfectly fine when I got home. Was surprised by that, actually.

Halogen headlights really are fine...drove plenty in the dark, really surprised by how much they don't suck.

Small screen and base audio is still perfectly fine too. The biggest thing I miss about the bigger screen is when using Android Auto (which I do 99% of the time), the 8.4" screen keeps shortcuts to various things along the bottom making it simple to change a radio station or climate setting. The 7" requires you to tap the home button for android auto then hit exit to get back to the main screen for something as simple as changing the radio station. Fortunately, the left steering wheel control can let you seek AND rotate through favorites, so it's not a major deal IMO.

I didn't calc MPG, but at the end of all of it, it's indicating 18.5 mpg. That's driving 75-80...anything more than that and the efficiency absolutely tanks. I don't really speed much above 80 anyway, so it's fine by me.

The engine and transmission are an absolute perfect match. The engine actually sounds pretty good when revved where it wants to be, and the trans is just as eager to shift as a JL, which is so much more fun to drive. Rolling 10 mph in traffic in a slow lane and see an opening in the next lane, there's confidence the trans will downshift with minimal effort and get you up to speed with ease. With the Colorado, I had to floor it, wait a few seconds for it to downshift, then take off into the other lane as traffic is barreling down, then let off suddenly because it was going too fast. The 3.6 and ZF 8-speed is a godsend by comparison. Not once did I really wish for more power or speed. Not fast, but perfectly adequate for what the vehicle is.

Overall, my complaints are minimal. I'm absolutely smitten with the thing. We'll see how that continues the more I drive it.
Glad to hear you like it ! :like: The 3.6/8AT is that excellent which is why I was bitching the 3.slow and 2.slow... seems like some of that money could have gotten saved and moved towards other projects.

The 3.6 is also super easy to maintain... 18.5 sounds :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Glad to hear you like it ! :like: The 3.6/8AT is that excellent which is why I was bitching the 3.slow and 2.slow... seems like some of that money could have gotten saved and moved towards other projects.

The 3.6 is also super easy to maintain... 18.5 sounds :notbad:
I agree, the turbo powerplants feel very :butwhy: to me.
ChrisoftheNorth

Turbo powerplants include direction injection and whatnot that's much better for greenhouse gas requirements from .gov's around the world.