rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

thinking about selling the van and volvo and consolidating to a GX460
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

rockchops wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:03 pm thinking about selling the van and volvo and consolidating to a GX460
Great powertrain, I hear that they are pretty bulletproof. I want the car version because all I do is drive in a straight line on open highways. What years are you looking at? How is the van holding up?
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Tarspin wrote:
rockchops wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:03 pm thinking about selling the van and volvo and consolidating to a GX460
Great powertrain, I hear that they are pretty bulletproof. I want the car version because all I do is drive in a straight line on open highways. What years are you looking at? How is the van holding up?
not even sure yet, prob 16ish? van is fine but me and my wife both work from home so we dont need a sedan anymore. We are making plans for a long road trip next year...the van would work at 60mph cruising...slow, safe, no prob. I need to change the timing belt before then, fix the AC, no biggies. We actually have a good delica garage in the city just by chance. I am going to take it there, they have a good rep and sell all over the east coast.

Van hits 1100-1200 EGT steady going 70-75 and the heads are pretty fragile. I am looking at a2w intercooler systems, bigger tires and a lift to kinda make it better.

Awesome points:
- its unique and I love it.
- pretty solid offroad. Goes on the beach and has towed other dumbasses out of the sand
- fits 4x8s plywood drywall etc with hatch closed. full mattresses, you name it.
- fun to drive. Its basically a box truck but around town, awesome.
- have fairly well thought plans to make it a super functional camper
- its comfy, Ive done 10-12 hours easy in those seats, and over the front axle its a fuckin cloud
- simple, mechanically. Easy to fix, accessability is not always step 1 but you can easily take the seats and cockpit off
-

Shit:
- really, really, really unsafe in any remotely forward collision
- drives like a box truck, see above
- pretttttty slow. 20sec to 60ish, if we are generous. Not a terribly big deal but this was the only vehicle with a truly terrifying "oh shit" situation I had related to merging with no lane to 80mph traffic. Welcome to Trenton, nj.
- It cruises at 60
- brakes hit hard but maybe a bit much, they lock really easily in back and it swings since its light back there. Its 2 tons with no ABS
- i want a boat. I wont tow anything with the delica in our area, nfw.
- hard to find parts. Van was sold in US as a crap tier commercial van, never as diesel, and no 4x4. JDM shit, no surprise but its no chevy small block or whatever. Knew that going in, hasnt changed.
- its a novelty. I love it but its so dumb. I love it because it is dumb. It makes no sense outside of that.

requirements:
- deep loose sand capability. I like to go fishing. Need 8+" of clearance, 4wd, locking hubs, LSD minimum. Could go for an x90 there...
- towing, safely. likes fishing, 5k max, 3500lbs realistic towing. Could not go fo x90 there
- general safety is now a plus, child seat compatibility...got a few years
- weird.
Last edited by rockchops on Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Aww man I would be sad to see the Delica go, it is such a cool car.

Your points are all very valid though, the Lexus would get shit done and work well. To be honest I am so much happier having two cars in our household versus three, it's just less :bs: to :dealwithit:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Aww man I would be sad to see the Delica go, it is such a cool car.

Your points are all very valid though, the Lexus would get shit done and work well. To be honest I am so much happier having two cars in our household versus three, it's just less :bs: to :dealwithit:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Started considering a v8 GC Trailhawk and its a friggin winner it seems...wife absolutely loves it and wants to move quicker than I was planning. So I guess I am about to plac...the van will take some time to sell, but optimistically the prices have been rising due to covid campers so I might make out okay on it. Sad to see it go, but its logical and will allow me to focus more on the shats.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

rockchops wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:54 am Started considering a v8 GC Trailhawk and its a friggin winner it seems...wife absolutely loves it and wants to move quicker than I was planning. So I guess I am about to plac...the van will take some time to sell, but optimistically the prices have been rising due to covid campers so I might make out okay on it. Sad to see it go, but its logical and will allow me to focus more on the shats.
Wife wants a V8 ? :impressive:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote:
rockchops wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:54 am Started considering a v8 GC Trailhawk and its a friggin winner it seems...wife absolutely loves it and wants to move quicker than I was planning. So I guess I am about to plac...the van will take some time to sell, but optimistically the prices have been rising due to covid campers so I might make out okay on it. Sad to see it go, but its logical and will allow me to focus more on the shats.
Wife wants a V8 ? :impressive:
She doesnylt really care either way, but itll be nice to have
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

miss my ol wankel. Wish my bro drove it more and took care of it better.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

[user not found] wrote:
rockchops wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:57 am miss my ol wankel. Wish my bro drove it more and took care of it better.
Can always buy it back later and swap out the :wankel:
At this rate, I will probably be able to move into a new place with a garage before he sells it. Aint complaining.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Had some good news come through work today, our company was bought by a new group, so the plac will probably come even sooner. Right now trying to quarantine and not travel much but unfortunately not too many v8 THs around.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Anyone have experience with the 3.0L "ecodiesel" in the new ramz and jeeps? I have heard almost no good things about the old VM Motori diesels, but its been 15-20 years since the liberty crd. I am a bit of a sucker for weirdo diesels.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:37 pm
rockchops wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:18 pm Anyone have experience with the 3.0L "ecodiesel" in the new ramz and jeeps? I have heard almost no good things about the old VM Motori diesels, but its been 15-20 years since the liberty crd. I am a bit of a sucker for weirdo diesels.
Great until they had to be retuned post-dieselgate.

Seem to read a lot of complaints on them regarding EGR cooler failures (also, there was an issue with the cam sprockets spinning on earlier builds). Also, if the drives will be short commutes, I'd avoid it. Modern diesels don't like short commutes at all (DPF issues).

:225: has a friend with an Ecodiesel Ram, wonder if he'll chip in with some 3rd party experience.
Modern diesels from any OEM are too complex these days to make sense IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:16 am

Seem to read a lot of complaints on them regarding EGR cooler failures (also, there was an issue with the cam sprockets spinning on earlier builds). Also, if the drives will be short commutes, I'd avoid it. Modern diesels don't like short commutes at all (DPF issues).

:225: has a friend with an Ecodiesel Ram, wonder if he'll chip in with some 3rd party experience.
Modern diesels from any OEM are too complex these days to make sense IMO.
Granted it was a commercial :truk: but I found this to be true when piling on 100k miles on the Bang Bus. You have to deal with cow piss every month or two, it was the least reliable vehicle of any driven by me/my family at length in at least the past 20 years, diesel is just gross and annoying to fill up. When you consider it's dirtier and 50% more expensive than gas, it is really :butwhy: IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

One kind of cool thing with the :jeep: though, is the epic range, :neat: for adventures.
max225

rockchops wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:18 pm Anyone have experience with the 3.0L "ecodiesel" in the new ramz and jeeps? I have heard almost no good things about the old VM Motori diesels, but its been 15-20 years since the liberty crd. I am a bit of a sucker for weirdo diesels.

62k miles on his... it has been an “ok” experience. FCA had a dieselgate of their own and he is getting a $3750 settlement...
his went through 4+ recalls and one required them to lift the bed off and cut a wiring harness because they fucked up somehow ... FCA :dillerman: are notoriously shitty here.

Service costs are insanely high... 10.5 quart oil changes. $40 oil filters... dealers want $299 for oil changes. Or “800-1000” every 20k to change out a fuel filter and do an oil change. but at least you only have to do it every 10k for oci.

It goes through DEF @ 6500 miles vs the advertised 10k...

However mpg is excellent, which is important in Cali, he is averaging about 20-21, can go as high as 25/26 freeway. Diesel is about $4 a gallon here so every bit helps.

Overall other than the recall nightmare, the engine has been flawless. Not 1 CE, or issue to speak of in 5 years and 62k miles. But it is a complicated beast... so owning it outside of the 100k warranty (yes they came with a really high one from the get/go) would be I’ll advised imo.

I helped him buy the truck and I will advise him to get rid of it before warranty is done.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Eh, I would consider the diesel Wrangler because unique and I would enjoy putting highway miles on a loaded Cummins RAM 2500.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Well then...yeah. Aside from preference (I have had many diesels and like the torque), no real reason to consider it then.
max225

rockchops wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:14 pm Well then...yeah. Aside from preference (I have had many diesels and like the torque), no real reason to consider it then.
If fuel prices are cheaper than $4 in your area I would recommend a 5.7 over the 3.slow. It is a fine motor for what it is... but it will be a long term nightmare from an ownership perspective. Italian :unicorn: engine + insane emissions bs is not a good long term comBRO
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote:
rockchops wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:14 pm Well then...yeah. Aside from preference (I have had many diesels and like the torque), no real reason to consider it then.
If fuel prices are cheaper than $4 in your area I would recommend a 5.7 over the 3.slow. It is a fine motor for what it is... but it will be a long term nightmare from an ownership perspective. Italian :unicorn: engine + insane emissions bs is not a good long term comBRO
Yeah the v8 is definitely preferable...I mean even the 3.6 would probably be fine, but need dat powah and brubz (I also have no real reason, just better for towing and in deep sand)
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Finally pulled the trigger on a GC trailhawk. V8, premium, pretty much as optioned up as you can get. Its a 2021 with 2100 miles, so basically brand new with a chunk of money lopped off the top. Should be picking it up tomorrow - ill post some pics when I get it!

In other news, no more s60, and the van is either going to be traded or it's going up for sale. Ill miss it, but consolidating to a TH makes a ton of sense in a ton of ways.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

rockchops wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:58 pm Finally pulled the trigger on a GC trailhawk. V8, premium, pretty much as optioned up as you can get. Its a 2021 with 2100 miles, so basically brand new with a chunk of money lopped off the top. Should be picking it up tomorrow - ill post some pics when I get it!

In other news, no more s60, and the van is either going to be traded or it's going up for sale. Ill miss it, but consolidating to a TH makes a ton of sense in a ton of ways.
:amazing:

In4 impressions.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:36 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:05 pm

:amazing:

In4 impressions.
He pulled a Breh before Breh could Breh.
:dat: Truthfully I'm just Sofa King Tired of spending money for like zero point. I don't need to :plac: the woman will likely be driving our next SUV so she should.......take a few test drives, but ain't nobody hanging out with :tubeman: and :dillerman: during the VID. Still, that is a right sized, proven platform with a proven powertrain that is sufficiently bad ass without costing stupid money like the SRT/Trackhawk, which also screw up all the offroad point of the GC. And I want to hear about it. You certainly liked yours.
max225

rockchops wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:58 pm Finally pulled the trigger on a GC trailhawk. V8, premium, pretty much as optioned up as you can get. Its a 2021 with 2100 miles, so basically brand new with a chunk of money lopped off the top. Should be picking it up tomorrow - ill post some pics when I get it!

What are the deets ? Why does the 21 being sold
With 2100 miles ? Demo? Repo? How good was the final :dill: ? 15-20k off sticker ?