Tar's Adventures with a GoRf Failomatic

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:28 am My dealer finally got back to me right before I went on a tear to find an indy shop to do my DSG fluid replacement.

They are likely going to take care of me when it comes to putting a claim in to VW of C so it is logical to get the service done there.

$400 DSG
$175 Haldex

I'm not sure how simple the DSG service is, but the kit is $85 and the fluid/o-ring and what looks to be a filter is $208, and shipping and conversion rate and I'm at $400.

The claim will either be handled by head office, or my dealer will slip it into my extended warranty. Either way I shouldn't have a problem with it.
$400 Canadian is worth it. It’s like $160 us in parts alone. And it takes about 2 hrs to do it... and technically you have to fill it at temp etc
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Yeah thanks dudes, I appreciate the reminder; good deal is good. Plus I have less then zero motivation to get under my wet and dirty cars. Maybe a Christmas thanks is in order, especially with the extra body work these guys sorted out for me on both cars.

Thoughts on a gift card/bottle of booze?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:21 pm Yeah thanks dudes, I appreciate the reminder; good deal is good. Plus I have less then zero motivation to get under my wet and dirty cars. Maybe a Christmas thanks is in order, especially with the extra body work these guys sorted out for me on both cars.

A hummer aughta do it.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:36 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:21 pm Yeah thanks dudes, I appreciate the reminder; good deal is good. Plus I have less then zero motivation to get under my wet and dirty cars. Maybe a Christmas thanks is in order, especially with the extra body work these guys sorted out for me on both cars.

A hummer aughta do it.
One out of two I deal with doesn't have a :dong: , so it wouldn't be fair.

Maybe I can find a card that says, "I was going to buy you a vacation to Tahiti, but they are all sold out so I settled on the card instead".
wap

Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:25 pm
wap wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:36 pm

A hummer aughta do it.

Maybe I can find a card that says, "I was going to buy you a vacation to Tahiti, but they are all sold out so I settled on the card instead".
:notbad:
Or you could do 1 hummer and one :lickit: :iono:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:19 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:25 pm

I would consider :lickit: but I have a fairly sensitive gag reflex and can't handle a tongue depresser let alone a meat popsicle.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:20 pm
wap wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:19 pm
I would consider :lickit: but I have a fairly sensitive gag reflex and can't handle a tongue depresser let alone a meat popsicle.
:lolol:
I meant the :lickit: for the one without the :dong: :lol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:25 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:20 pm

I meant the :lickit: for the one without the :dong: :lol:
You are correct, don't let my poor grammar and failure to insert a comma confuse the matter. It is indeed the :dongless: variety I prefer to :lickit:

:lolol: funny shit :bruh:
wap

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:42 am
razr390 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:32 am

The dealer in VA was being a bit dumb with me about it. Now I’m in Texas so no more threat of rust. They were saying the panel might’ve been replaced at port. I told them to fuck off unless they can prove that happened.
See this pisses me off, there are widespread cases of this exactly same condition happening to our cars world wide, and litter the internet. How can they even play dumb at this point in the game? I'm going to see what my dealership says about it, hopefully when I go in for service. I've had good luck with them repainting a rusty spot on my wife's Touareg tailgate, so I know that they are capable of doing the paperwork properly. :popcorn: on how it plays out.
My :poorvette: started doing this on the passenger side recently. I am pretty much :aintcare: as it’s plastic and the paint is already ruined from track days and 18 years of driving... on a new car though? :gtfo:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:07 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:42 am

See this pisses me off, there are widespread cases of this exactly same condition happening to our cars world wide, and litter the internet. How can they even play dumb at this point in the game? I'm going to see what my dealership says about it, hopefully when I go in for service. I've had good luck with them repainting a rusty spot on my wife's Touareg tailgate, so I know that they are capable of doing the paperwork properly. :popcorn: on how it plays out.
My :poorvette: started doing this on the passenger side recently. I am pretty much :aintcare: as it’s plastic and the paint is already ruined from track days and 18 years of driving... on a new car though? :gtfo:
I'd geeve if my body panels were made of plastic. Sadly the groove kind of looks slightly brownish so that means that it is bare metal and already oxidizing.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fun side thought:
One day last year I asked a SA if the extended warranty is even worth it, and he dead-faced looked me in the eyes and said that "it is the best thing you ever did". I just :lolol: at the way the m'fer said it and was like, :yeahok: with a slightly nervous shoulder nudge.

Most of this kind of "small stuff" I would tackle on my own if it weren't for the extended warranty, but with going dealership for EVERYTHING bumper to bumper is :nice: . I feel like you gotta keep up with VWs around the 120k mark or they start to amass more then one issue and probably get traded in by the faint of heart/wallet.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

VW isn't covering me for the body panel adjustment or door paint. I don't get it :really: ?
max225

Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:31 pm VW isn't covering me for the body panel adjustment or door paint. I don't get it :really: ?
So does the extended warranty cover it?
wap

:wat: :|
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:49 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:31 pm VW isn't covering me for the body panel adjustment or door paint. I don't get it :really: ?
Extended warranty covers everything mechanical, but seems to exclude regular wear and tear items, trim/paint issues. Corrosion warranty covers rust from inside out, but not trim pieces falling and wearing the paint down, and the basic warranty expires at 80,000 km so that doesn't qualify me for coverage either. 🤨
max225

Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:33 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:49 pm

Extended warranty covers everything mechanical, but seems to exclude regular wear and tear items, trim/paint issues. Corrosion warranty covers rust from inside out, but not trim pieces falling and wearing the paint down, and the basic warranty expires at 80,000 km so that doesn't qualify me for coverage either. 🤨
Is there a proper fix that has been identified ? What needs to be done ?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:50 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:33 pm

Is there a proper fix that has been identified ? What needs to be done ?
I'm not clear on it. I'd like to take the door off and pull the trim piece to see what holds it in place. If I don't need it I may consider chucking it and throwing touch up paint on the door. Maybe I'll get a quote for a body shop that works with my local dealership to quote the work, and search the internet a bit more.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I am doing a little reading while waiting in line at the butcher shop, and I think that I have an okay plan. I'll attach pictures. In a nutshell, the plastic guard is there for aesthetics from what I can tell, and some GTIs don't even use it (I suppose older MK7s?)

There are two plastic covers that expose male torques bolts, one on each hinge. By removing the bolt covers and bolts I can split the hinge, essentially just lifting the whole door out of its lower half. The wiring is a connector that I'll need to research, but also separates at the body of the car.

I'm going to remove the door and prep/paint the edge to the best of my ability using my touch up paint. As for the plastic piece in the fender, it will need to come out because I can feel 5 mm of inward play where the clip sits, but I really can't get it to reseat. It needs a new clip if I decide to keep it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:30 pm This is the dumbest issue I've heard of in a while. Does that piece move over time? Or is the door rubbing from the get go and it just takes time for it to be noticeable in paint wear?
Thank you.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

A couple of vag(een)-com tweaks lately:

-lock teh doors with key fob even when the engine is running (this helps me quite a bit, especially when I need to run back in the house after I start my car and want it to warm up for a few min or simply just forget something)

[09] Central Electrics
Adaptation Channels -> function 10
Select Access control-Funk bei Klemme 15 ein
Changed to "active" (default not active)

-seat belt chime is disabled for when I'm derping around car plants and I've already taken my seat belt off to get my temp checked or to grab my vehicle pass

[17] Instruments
Select disable seatbelt warning (Gurtwarner deaktivieren)
change to "yes" (default: none)

-time frame for next inspection (needs vcds reset or dealer), changed this from 365 to 1095 so I don't need to bother with it for the next three years.

[17] Instruments
Select min value of time between inspections
Changed to "1095" (def 365)

Did the inspection kms as well, set to 60,000 kms (was 15,000)
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

145k kilometers and I'm finally peeling the brake pads and rotors out of the old girl. I'm attaching a few pics, probably could have done the fronts in the spring, but it's all good 👍🏼

I'm going to do the backs tomorrow if my day allows for it. Had all the tools short of a 21mm socket which i picked up for $10 at Canadian Tire. Everything with Torx sockets was also a six sided hex bolt, so that is what I went with (used my T25 for the screw that holds the disk in place, but :dat: is it. A friend lent me a dece piston depression tool, which saved me from silly C-clamp fanagling. 😜

Pics of the new...

wap

Looks good!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:22 pmLooks good!
Thank you! I feel like I pulled them out too soon, probably would have made it until spring or summer next year. :iono: , see what the back pads look like tomorrow. :scrooge: :math: always computing in the background.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:52 pm
wap wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:22 pmLooks good!
Thank you! I feel like I pulled them out too soon, probably would have made it until spring or summer next year. :iono: , see what the back pads look like tomorrow. :scrooge: :math: always computing in the background.
Maybe, but brakes are something that it isn't necessarily bad to not be totally :scrooge: with, IMO.