Truk Talk: Invest in Trukcoin!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:00 am Hybrid Ridgeline? :notbad:
Actually, smaller than a Ridgeline! Ridgeline is like a Pilot, which is like an Explorer. Maverick is like an Escape, or a CR-V for Honda. Pretty incredible that Ford is taking this gamble. It's literally the smallest pickup in the US, there's zero competition for it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:06 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:50 am I can't believe I'm saying this, but Ford is just knocking it out of the park lately. The Maverick is a bold move, but could pay off big time. Ford has essentially made it's cheapest entry level model a hybrid pickup. That could pay off big, this thing is :neat:

Also it is pretty good looking unlike the retread Australian terrorist spec Ranger.
I think the headlights look too big, but the rest of the thing looks great. Especially compared to the Ranger. I'm REALLY curious to see the new Ranger, which should be a thing within a few years.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:08 am
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:00 am Hybrid Ridgeline? :notbad:
Actually, smaller than a Ridgeline! Ridgeline is like a Pilot, which is like an Explorer. Maverick is like an Escape, or a CR-V for Honda. Pretty incredible that Ford is taking this gamble. It's literally the smallest pickup in the US, there's zero competition for it.
Oh interesting… :popcorn: to see how this plays out! I’ve seen a lot of internet rumblings of people wanting small trucks, like S10s/Rangers of the 90s back.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:10 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:08 am
Oh interesting… :popcorn: to see how this plays out! I’ve seen a lot of internet rumblings of people wanting small trucks, like S10s/Rangers of the 90s back.
Exactly. Here it is fuckers, put your money where your mouth is.

I'm sure people will be :sass: about it being unibody and not :manuel: ...there's always an excuse to not buy what's always asked for.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:11 am

I'm sure people will be :sass: about it being unibody and not :manuel: ...there's always an excuse to not buy what's always asked for.
Yup. I’m sure people will clamor on about unibody or lack of :manuel:
But it also starts at a gnats-hair under $20k which is :impressive: in its own right these days.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:13 am

Yup. I’m sure people will clamor on about unibody or lack of :manuel:
But it also starts at a gnats-hair under $20k which is :impressive: in its own right these days.
It's Ford's entry level model. I love that, and under $20k is just :mindblown: these days.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Is there anyone that actually wants a :manuel: ?

The size will be interesting gamble for sure. Also gas is getting more expensive but it seems like people still :aintcare: so perhaps once it hits the obligatory $10 a gallon it’ll be :popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:17 am

The size will be interesting gamble for sure. Also gas is getting more expensive but it seems like people still :aintcare: so perhaps once it hits the obligatory $10 a gallon it’ll be :popcorn:
Everyone claims to want a :manuel: then nobody buys them. In this current market, who knows.

I think this well sell more on price than efficiency. Even just a decently equipped midsize pickup is a high $30k thing, and very few people really need a body on frame truck. The Ridgeline struggles because it's just as pricey as a Taco/Colorado/Ranger/MSPU, but the Maverick should be significantly cheaper just based on its starting MSRP.

I'm just amazed that Ford is taking the risks it is. I know for a fact that neither GM nor Stellantis are taking these sorts of product risks, which is leading to a somewhat stale industry. Hats off to Ford for trying something different. From the Bronco Sport to the Lightning now to the Maverick, these are all new vehicles that have zero competition.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:24 am

Everyone claims to want a :manuel: then nobody buys them. In this current market, who knows.

I think this well sell more on price than efficiency. Even just a decently equipped midsize pickup is a high $30k thing, and very few people really need a body on frame truck. The Ridgeline struggles because it's just as pricey as a Taco/Colorado/Ranger/MSPU, but the Maverick should be significantly cheaper just based on its starting MSRP.

I'm just amazed that Ford is taking the risks it is. I know for a fact that neither GM nor Stellantis are taking these sorts of product risks, which is leading to a somewhat stale industry. Hats off to Ford for trying something different. From the Bronco Sport to the Lightning now to the Maverick, these are all new vehicles that have zero competition.
You got to remember though that a tacoma is really not that expensive MSRP wise. Starts at 26, Granted that's quite a bit more than 19995 but most transact between 30-38. I am not sure where the maverick lies with "some" options. Would be interesting to see.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:30 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:24 am

You got to remember though that a tacoma is really not that expensive MSRP wise. Starts at 26, Granted that's quite a bit more than 19995 but most transact between 30-38. I am not sure where the maverick lies with "some" options. Would be interesting to see.
They have the build and price up, a Maverick with every option tops out in the low $30k range, which is below what most midsizers transact at, like you said. This thing is legit cheap compared to current truck offerings.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:35 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:30 am

They have the build and price up, a Maverick with every option tops out in the low $30k range, which is below what most midsizers transact at, like you said. This thing is legit cheap compared to current truck offerings.
Their site is down ... :wtf: such excite much wow.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

You wanted one, no?

I want a manual but I would never buy this thing, so :whocares:

It is a great looking vehicle, super efficient, affordable, does what :truk: people need in a more practical vehicle (like a Ridgeline) but actually looks like a :truk: and fits where people live. The American badge on the front won't hurt either. Rural America just would never go buy a new Japanese or Euro car... I bet the sell a fuckload of these.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:49 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:35 am
Their site is down ... :wtf: such excite much wow.
:impressive:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:01 pm

You wanted one, no?

It is a great looking vehicle, super efficient, affordable, does what :truk: people need in a more practical vehicle (like a Ridgeline) but actually looks like a :truk: and fits where people live. The American badge on the front won't hurt either. Rural America just would never go buy a new Japanese or Euro car... I bet the sell a fuckload of these.
I am certainly not a "core" :truk: customer. And the only reason I wanted one is because the auto is kind of :gay:
ChrisoftheNorth

You wanted one, no?

:manuel: enhances a car. A truck is a bit more :butwhy: though I've had a number of :manuel: trucks and they were always kinda fun for what they were.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:33 pm

You wanted one, no?

:manuel: enhances a car. A truck is a bit more :butwhy: though I've had a number of :manuel: trucks and they were always kinda fun for what they were.
:iono: I just prefer :manuel:

I've driven :manuel: :truk: plenty, and I like it, "shitty" or not.

I don't think I'll ever own a pickup though, so my opinions here are utterly useless.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:50 am I can't believe I'm saying this, but Ford is just knocking it out of the park lately. The Maverick is a bold move, but could pay off big time. Ford has essentially made it's cheapest entry level model a hybrid pickup. That could pay off big, this thing is :neat:

It looks like something you’d see driving around underneath airplanes at the airport.

It will sell. Sounds rather decent spec wise aside from the badge. I’m really not sure about Ford build quality and reliability, especially when it comes to hybrids.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:08 am Actually, smaller than a Ridgeline! Ridgeline is like a Pilot, which is like an Explorer. Maverick is like an Escape, or a CR-V for Honda. Pretty incredible that Ford is taking this gamble. It's literally the smallest pickup in the US, there's zero competition for it.
Is the new Santa Cruz a similar size?
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:33 pm :manuel: enhances a car. A truck is a bit more :butwhy: though I've had a number of :manuel: trucks and they were always kinda fun for what they were.
Being a unibody with a transverse drivetrain, I would think that this would drive more like a car than a truck.

I've already seen comments calling for a Maverick ST/RS that comes with the Focus drivetrain, including the :manuel:.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:08 am Actually, smaller than a Ridgeline! Ridgeline is like a Pilot, which is like an Explorer. Maverick is like an Escape, or a CR-V for Honda. Pretty incredible that Ford is taking this gamble. It's literally the smallest pickup in the US, there's zero competition for it.
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:33 pm :manuel: enhances a car. A truck is a bit more :butwhy: though I've had a number of :manuel: trucks and they were always kinda fun for what they were.
Being a unibody with a transverse drivetrain, I would think that this would drive more like a car than a truck.

I've already seen comments calling for a Maverick ST/RS that comes with the Focus drivetrain, including the :manuel:.
Santa Cruz is based off the Santa Fe, and thus more Ridgeline sized. The Maverick is truly by itself.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:54 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:31 pm

Santa Cruz is based off the Santa Fe, and thus more Ridgeline sized. The Maverick is truly by itself.
Santa Cruz is a few inches shorter in length and height, a few inches wider than the Maverick. They’re about the same size really.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:48 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:54 pm
Santa Cruz is a few inches shorter in length and height, a few inches wider than the Maverick. They’re about the same size really.
:ohdang:
Huckleberry

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:34 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:33 pm

I don't think I'll ever own a pickup though, so my opinions here are utterly useless.
I liked the 6 speed Frontier that I took out for an extended test drive back in 2018. The trans definitely didn't shift like a typical truck trans.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:53 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:34 pm

I liked the 6 speed Frontier that I took out for an extended test drive back in 2018. The trans definitely didn't shift like a typical truck trans.
The only modern :manuel: :truk: I've driven is a Gladiator, and I really didn't care for it at all. The transmission gearing is all wrong, the clutch doesn't feel like it's connected to anything, the gear shift feels like a videogame joystick, gimme the 8 speed auto instead any day.

My 92 GMT400 was epic. NV4500 trans with granny first, it was basically a 4 speed with a yard stick connected directly to the transmission so you FELT The mechanics of every shift. The clutch was heavy, but had TONS of communication which made it easy to slip if needed. Shift the transfer case in 4Lo with the transmission in granny gear, that thing would pull a house off its foundation. I loved that truck.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:57 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:53 am

The only modern :manuel: :truk: I've driven is a Gladiator, and I really didn't care for it at all. The transmission gearing is all wrong, the clutch doesn't feel like it's connected to anything, the gear shift feels like a videogame joystick, gimme the 8 speed auto instead any day.

My 92 GMT400 was epic. NV4500 trans with granny first, it was basically a 4 speed with a yard stick connected directly to the transmission so you FELT The mechanics of every shift. The clutch was heavy, but had TONS of communication which made it easy to slip if needed. Shift the transfer case in 4Lo with the transmission in granny gear, that thing would pull a house off its foundation. I loved that truck.
It seems like everyone has complained about the Gladiator :manuel:. I think they just took the Wrangler trans without changing any gearing whatsoever. One thing the JL trans has is a remote shifter that connects via cables, so that's why the shifter feels numb. The Frontier didn't feel that way. The shifter is bolted to the casing like most longitudinal setups. The trans itself is essentially a 370Z trans with different gearing,
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:57 am

It seems like everyone has complained about the Gladiator :manuel:. I think they just took the Wrangler trans without changing any gearing whatsoever. One thing the JL trans has is a remote shifter that connects via cables, so that's why the shifter feels numb. The Frontier didn't feel that way. The shifter is bolted to the casing like most longitudinal setups. The trans itself is essentially a 370Z trans with different gearing,
Yep, that's exactly right on the JT. It's pretty bad. Which is a shame, because I'd love a :manuel: JT.