Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:45 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:44 am Kind of an interesting read for those who may be interested. Seems like it's really a :notbad: vehicle for what it is. And I infer that the gearbox issues have been at least somewhat fixed as there was nary a mention other than that it can be slow to shift.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2019- ... D82D34F3C2
Paging Johnny...
That's who I thought of, too! :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:53 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Paging Johnny...
The 9AT gets a huge hell no from me. But this is basically what the new RAV4 will be.
Seems like the issues have pretty much been resolved. You should at least drive one.
wap

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:58 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:53 pm

The 9AT gets a huge hell no from me. But this is basically what the new RAV4 will be.
I know you're super 100% set against it, but I just can't imagine it being bad at this point now that the growing pains are done.

FCA makes very decent cars.
:dat:
Should be just as comfortable and nice on road as the RAV4, and virtually infinitely more capable off road. Deserves at least a test drive once you're ready to :plac:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:impressive:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Wow it has the rubicunt bumpers and soft top ... such strange
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Been looking at the 2" Mopar lift kit and reading a bunch on it.. probably gonna pull the trigger on that at some point late this year or early next year.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:47 pm Been looking at the 2" Mopar lift kit and reading a bunch on it.. probably gonna pull the trigger on that at some point late this year or early next year.
:butwhy: I really enjoyed the fucktory suspension setup on the Willy. Chick's won't be able to get in and out of it etc.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:55 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:47 pm Been looking at the 2" Mopar lift kit and reading a bunch on it.. probably gonna pull the trigger on that at some point late this year or early next year.
:butwhy: I really enjoyed the fucktory suspension setup on the Willy. Chick's won't be able to get in and out of it etc.
Because meathead bodybuilders drive lifted vehicles.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

I like how it looks with the extra lift :iono:

I'd do it now, but I plan on actually getting into wheeling next year (two busy this year with bodybuilding, blah blah) and while I know the stock suspension is more than capable for what I'll do, this kit has great reviews for DDing and wheeling.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The Mopar lift kit is legit 5/7. Also take a look at the AEV Dualsport lift. Both are great improvements over stock.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:02 pm The Mopar lift kit is legit 5/7. Also take a look at the AEV Dualsport lift. Both are great improvements over stock.
Will do. Thanks man.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:59 pm

I'd do it now, but I plan on actually getting into wheeling next year (two busy this year with bodybuilding, blah blah) and while I know the stock suspension is more than capable for what I'll do, this kit has great reviews for DDing and wheeling.
But you're no wheelin... I'd try it out first with your stock setup, things that require a "lift" over stock may not be your cup of tea. Shit starts to get fked up at that point. You also have a :manuel: so rock crawling is gonna suck
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:08 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:59 pm

But you're no wheelin... I'd try it out first with your stock setup, things that require a "lift" over stock may not be your cup of tea. Shit starts to get fked up at that point. You also have a :manuel: so rock crawling is gonna suck
A 2" lift isn't going to get him any further than just stock ride height. Will reduce scraping skid plates on some trails, but it's really only going to benefit him. Sauce is smart, doing trails below the truck's capability is key.

Manuals do suck for crawling, :doe: My :manuel: Rubi was a pain sometimes on tricky stuff.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Yeah, even when I get into wheeling, I don't plan on doing anything too crazy. Lift is going to be 99% cosmetic if we're being completely honest. I could probably go with a cheaper kit or piece something together myself, but like I said, this actually gets really good reviews for DD comfort, espeically when paired with the AEV geometry brackets.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:18 pm Yeah, even when I get into wheeling, I don't plan on doing anything too crazy. Lift is going to be 99% cosmetic if we're being completely honest. I could probably go with a cheaper kit or piece something together myself, but like I said, this actually gets really good reviews for DD comfort, espeically when paired with the AEV geometry brackets.
Most of the AEV engineers are former Jeep engineers. Their parts are obscenely high quality for the aftermarket space.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:11 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:08 pm

A 2" lift isn't going to get him any further than just stock ride height. Will reduce scraping skid plates on some trails, but it's really only going to benefit him. Sauce is smart, doing trails below the truck's capability is key.

Manuals do suck for crawling, :doe: My :manuel: Rubi was a pain sometimes on tricky stuff.
And you had 4.10s... his is geared higher, which is clutch city burning. I am just sounding off on this since his Jeep has really nice off road pieces from the factory as is, why set money on fire, the thing is brand new. If it was 10 years old, I can totally see doing it to bring back some lost performance.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:11 pm

And you had 4.10s... his is geared higher, which is clutch city burning. I am just sounding off on this since his Jeep has really nice off road pieces from the factory as is, why set money on fire, the thing is brand new. If it was 10 years old, I can totally see doing it to bring back some lost performance.
You're not making bad points...

We'll see what I end up deciding.. Maybe I'll spend next year actually wheeling and then start modding after that. There's a small list of other things I'd like to do, like metal bumpers.. nothing is happening in the immediate future.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:sawce:

Grab some metal flares and run 37's. :pussy:
Keep the suspension stock but run larger :meat: for wheelin. LCoG FTW.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:30 pm

We'll see what I end up deciding.. Maybe I'll spend next year actually wheeling and then start modding after that. There's a small list of other things I'd like to do, like metal bumpers.. nothing is happening in the immediate future.
Stock Willys package is basically Rubicon Lite. It's pretty damn solid, dude. I'd try it out as is first.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:37 pm :sawce:

Grab some metal flares and run 37's. :pussy:
Keep the suspension stock but run larger :meat: for wheelin. LCoG FTW.
Yeah I like flat metal fenders too. The Deegan37 one's are sick, but :waxer:
max225

That is a good plan. It really helps to feel it out. I was all :fuckyeah: after watching wheelin vids, but that turned :flaccid: when faced with the reality of serious crawling, and what could happen to the vehicle that takes you to work.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:52 pm

That is a good plan. It really helps to feel it out. I was all :fuckyeah: after watching wheelin vids, but that turned :flaccid: when faced with the reality of serious crawling, and what could happen to the vehicle that takes you to work.
I'm still gonna want to lift it and do some cosmetic mods, because :wasteful: , but yeah I'll take this approach. And like you said, it makes more sense to refresh an older vehicle thats been beat on a bit rather than pull brand new parts off a brand new vehicle.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Nobody seriously crawls their DD. That's just :fullretard: can have plenty of fun with minimal risk.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:50 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:08 pm You also have a :manuel: so rock crawling is gonna suck
Not necessarily. It's just a little more work to crawl with a stick, but overall you have more control.
People say this "control" thing, but I've never experienced it myself. I really prefer wheeling an auto after wheeling both extensively.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:40 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:50 am

Not necessarily. It's just a little more work to crawl with a stick, but overall you have more control.
People say this "control" thing, but I've never experienced it myself. I really prefer wheeling an auto after wheeling both extensively.
I think it's more like crawling down a hill in 1st and letting the engine brake for you in 4lo or whatever, vs having the tranny shift to god knows what.. or trying to "power" up a hill and having the trans shift up a gear and lose momentum etc... but most modern autos are a) manually selectable and have specific modes for both.