Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:07 pm
My Gladiator would have been that color if it was an option. So epic.
Any reason it's not available?
Just differentiation. The Gladiator offers Hydro Blue, Gobi, and Gator Green colors that JL doesn't get.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:48 am I mean the 2 door to 4 door price difference is like 2k. So not like a 2 door will be 40k and 4 door rubi will be 60k.

If you want the toys get ready to pay.

Imo a stripper at 25k is the way to go. (HT and ac only)
GENERALLY 2 doors on the lot have less equipment than 4 doors, so in addition to the $2k savings, they can be substantially cheaper, just not comparably equipped.

I also agree though that a stripper A/C only (I'd stick with the soft top, on a toy) optioned JL is the way to go for a fun vehicle. Can do anything you want to it like a Lego vehicle, but even with nothing more than cheap Rubicon take-off wheels and tires, it would be incredibly capable.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:17 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Any reason it's not available?
Just differentiation. The Gladiator offers Hydro Blue, Gobi, and Gator Green colors that JL doesn't get.
Are these new for this year? I'll have to look them up
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:27 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:17 am
Are these new for this year? I'll have to look them up
Well, new on Gladiator...which is new for 2020.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:07 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:00 pm

Yeah, I'm really in love with it.
:butwhy:
It's a :jeep: thing, you wouldnt understand.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:48 am I mean the 2 door to 4 door price difference is like 2k. So not like a 2 door will be 40k and 4 door rubi will be 60k.

So no power windows?? I think power windows is where I draw a line in a new car. Also, what trans you going with? That auto is a $2k feature.

https://www.autonation.com/cars/1C4GJXAG1KW533345

:dat: is $34k after discount on a $38k msrp.
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowst ... G1KW533345

no Dana 44 LSD :doe: :sad:

Im not seeing a $25k new :jeep: in any flavor :doe: Im not opposed to a stripper with LSD, softtop, :manuel: a/c and p windoes (ie :unicorn: spec). Im also stuck to having to search for a good :dill: vs just ordering a thing. The 19s will get cheap before they are gone.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

These guys in FL have the cheapest 2019 BASE BASE. AC only option at $28k. :iono: MSRP at $31k

I couldnt live with something so poverty spec.

https://www.fitzgeraldcountrysidechrysl ... fbdfed.htm

Meanwhile a slightly better equipped 2020 is discounted $3k already and at $30k with an auto

https://www.fitzgeraldcountrysidechrysl ... 80deda.htm
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

dubshow wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:37 am These guys in FL have the cheapest 2019 BASE BASE. AC only option at $28k. :iono: MSRP at $31k

Meanwhile a slightly better equipped 2020 is discounted $3k already and at $30k with an auto

So this base sport feels a little cheaper than the Sahara I rented. Mostly the radio is straight poverty spec but that also changes the gauges to poverty. Manageable but I’d crutchfield the fuck outta that shitty radio. Also there’s a lot of poor people plastic on the dash vs middle class fancy vinyl.

Manuel ac works just as well as the auto so whatever.

I’d get power windows.

Halogen lights are pretty good I see no reason to pay more unless you want the cool look.

Otherwise minivan tires and wheels and led lights and bumpers blah blah blah are all LEGO pieces so they’re easy to change if wanted.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

dubshow wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:30 am

So no power windows?? I think power windows is where I draw a line in a new car. Also, what trans you going with? That auto is a $2k feature.

Im not seeing a $25k new :jeep: in any flavor :doe: Im not opposed to a stripper with LSD, softtop, :manuel: a/c and p windoes (ie :unicorn: spec). Im also stuck to having to search for a good :dill: vs just ordering a thing. The 19s will get cheap before they are gone.
Do you need auto? The manual in the JL is actually fun. If this is going to be a fun vehicle I don’t see why not. I get the power windows thing though.... you’d have to get a sport s or whatnot that adds 3200. So you’ll be at 30k post discount ...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:54 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:30 am

Do you need auto? The manual in the JL is actually fun. If this is going to be a fun vehicle I don’t see why not. I get the power windows thing though.... you’d have to get a sport s or whatnot that adds 3200. So you’ll be at 30k post discount ...
I've only driven the manual in a JK, not a JL. The auto is really for enabling the wife unit to drive it. The auto is also way better on actual trails, which i'd be going on again. Hence the needs for the LSD upgrade. Thats a no brainer for $595 option, just rare to find.
max225

dubshow wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:03 am
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:54 am

I've only driven the manual in a JK, not a JL. The auto is really for enabling the wife unit to drive it. The auto is also way better on actual trails, which i'd be going on again. Hence the needs for the LSD upgrade. Thats a no brainer for $595 option, just rare to find.
Have you wheeled before ? Like extreme enough to need lockers ? The lsd is pointless since the Jeep has a decent electronic system as is. The full on lockers are another story, but don’t make this a deal breaker. A 3500lb 2 door, on Dana 35s is the same as a 4500 jlur on 44s. Once again not necessary.
Don’t get caught up in the marketing of these features. A base JL is incredibly capable.

Throw on a set of rubi take off wheels and rock rails and you’re done
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:52 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:37 am These guys in FL have the cheapest 2019 BASE BASE. AC only option at $28k. :iono: MSRP at $31k

So this base sport feels a little cheaper than the Sahara I rented. Mostly the radio is straight poverty spec but that also changes the gauges to poverty. Manageable but I’d crutchfield the fuck outta that shitty radio. Also there’s a lot of poor people plastic on the dash vs middle class fancy vinyl. Poverty cluster does really suck

Manuel ac works just as well as the auto so whatever. agreed for sure

I’d get power windows. me too

Halogen lights are pretty good I see no reason to pay more unless you want the cool look. agreed and that never made the needs list

Otherwise minivan tires and wheels and led lights and bumpers blah blah blah are all LEGO pieces so they’re easy to change if wanted. tires are first thing to go 35" for sure.
:dat:

Its also about a $1200 ordeal to aftermarket upgrade to a factory 8.4" but youd still not have all the features, intergration, cluster. such is life. Im terrible at upselling myself
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:06 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:03 am

Have you wheeled before ? Like extreme enough to need lockers ? The lsd is pointless since the Jeep has a decent electronic system as is. The full on lockers are another story, but don’t make this a deal breaker. A 3500lb 2 door, on Dana 35s is the same as a 4500 jlur on 44s. Once again not necessary.
Don’t get caught up in the marketing of these features. A base JL is incredibly capable.

Throw on a set of rubi take off wheels and rock rails and you’re done
I wheeled my JKU sahara and found its limits, yes. A few times. We dont have rocks here, just hills and elevation changes. Its such a small price for a really better thing is my point.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:44 pm Image

Got free 17s and free BFG stock KAs.

Went and did some wheelin. Was interesting and I am amazed at what a stock basic bitch pleb Sahara was able to do. The 1’ deep ruts was nearly effortless.

I’ll be buying metal flares and skid plates soon. Right after I polish out these scratches from a mud wall and vines.

The world is a lot bigger outside the mall lot.
Re: doing jeep things
max225

$2000 auto
$1595 8.4”
$7000 rubi
$1500 HT
12k right there ...

So the question becomes what you really want/willing to pay for.

We have all struggled with Jeep options. Imo you either go :fullretard: or stripper. In between shit will be impossible to find. A base JL on rubi tires will be better on that trail than your jk was. Especially with the steps
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:23 am $2000 auto
$1595 8.4”
$7000 rubi
$1500 HT
12k right there ...

We have all struggled with Jeep options. Imo you either go :fullretard: or stripper. In between shit will be impossible to find. A base JL on rubi tires will be better on that trail than your jk was. Especially with the steps
same conclusion i was at. So a good deal on a 2 dr basic Rubi has everything I need to ever go back offroad. Thats around $41-41k with odd discounts and :dillerman: games.

local diller loaded this 2018 base Rubi up with factory mopar lift, 37s and a winch.

https://www.allstarautomotive.com/vehic ... N8JW195716

Discounted the $8k of boltons.... its stitting and Chulapabatman test drove it. Im just not wild about that color. If it was mojito or bikini I'd prolly do something stupid.
max225

dubshow wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:26 am
$1595 8.4”
$7000 rubi
$1500 HT
12k right there ...

same conclusion i was at. So a good deal on a 2 dr basic Rubi has everything I need to ever go back offroad. Thats around $41-41k with odd discounts and :dillerman: games.

local diller loaded this 2018 base Rubi up with factory mopar lift, 37s and a winch.

Discounted the $8k of boltons.... its stitting and Chulapabatman test drove it. Im just not wild about that color. If it was mojito or bikini I'd prolly do something stupid.
That seems odd to me... I’d rather special order. 8 k for a lift and tires :fullretard:
ChrisoftheNorth

$1595 8.4”
$7000 rubi
$1500 HT
12k right there ...

:howdareu: Punkn is the best color of all.

That thing would be invincible off-road.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:29 am

That seems odd to me... I’d rather special order. 8 k for a lift and tires :fullretard:
Yea, that's high.

The lift MSRP is $1,500, install should be another $1k at most so $2,500 for the lift. The tires are at most $2k, so $4,500....where's the extra 3,500 coming from?

Other than the painted fender flares (why would you want those when you're wheeling? Black plastic hides scratches easier and is easier to replace) the factory spec is pretty great IMO. Nobody wants the 2.0 BSG Rubicons, but it's really a great powertrain. Would be a riot in a 2 door.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:26 am
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:29 am

Yea, that's high.

The lift MSRP is $1,500, install should be another $1k at most so $2,500 for the lift. The tires are at most $2k, so $4,500....where's the extra 3,500 coming from?

Other than the painted fender flares (why would you want those when you're wheeling? Black plastic hides scratches easier and is easier to replace) the factory spec is pretty great IMO. Nobody wants the 2.0 BSG Rubicons, but it's really a great powertrain. Would be a riot in a 2 door.
It's got control arms upper lower too
So its actually lifted correctly.
Sway bar end links
But it has like 7k worth of shit. So it cancelled the discount pretty much
from the chalupabatman :dillerman: himself
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:22 am

I just prefer the bikini and mojito by a lot more. :iono:
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:22 am

We have to all be the same doe.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Here is the punkn 2018 currentlyImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:26 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:23 pm

We have to all be the same doe.
:notwrong:

such group think. :gaydance:
max225

But to me... come on.. does it NEED a LIFT? Are you really going to go do extreme enough shit with it that it REQUIRES IT?

I get it .. if you constantly wheel and all the sudden are trying to go more extreme.. but just to start with that...

I don't understand off roading a 50k vehicle, period. I think I would rather have a dedicated cheaper off roader that is ok to be flipped etc to not deal with having 1000s of body damage on a brand new vehicle.