Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:26 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:59 am I like the extra space in the 4-door. It's amazing how often you use the back seats for putting random things. I think it's the ideal size for a vehicle.

2-door would work, but might get a tad old over time...especially towing. That short wheelbase would be a pain...they're only rated to tow 1k lbs as a result.

The best of them all is the JT. The long wheelbase makes it look weird, but holy hell is it comfy to put miles on. Tracks straighter, minimal body motion, tons of space in the back seat, it's really my favorite. I'll have a report this weekend on towing performance.
JT is ideal. Would be a great vehicle; JLU too. 2 door JL is too small for me, and would not tow the tinycamper well.

But man, neither are cheap. I commented not long ago that I've been priced out of new vehicles, and it's true. Could I blow that much on a vehicle? I guess. Do I want to? Nah man.

I think what I truly appreciate about the JKU, particularly mine - is that I don't have to give too many fucks about it. I wash it once a month, street park it at work and don't care, drive it into Philly and don't care. If I have muddy feet or I'm fresh off a bike ride, it's NBD.

There's something really to be said about the :aintcare: ability of something.

I've also been driving older, more basic vehicles for a while now, so fancy things feel foreign. The JGC felt waaaaaaay above my pay grade.
I agree with everything here and that's why I love the JL/T so much. Feels refined while still feeling classic.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:12 am So a guy at work has a JK Sport with the plastic bumpers and recently discovered that squirrels have been eating it. :wtf:

I was looking at it last night and they've already taken a nice chunk out of one of his fenders and they're starting on the other side. Lots of bites on the bumper as well. They've already sampled pretty much all of the exterior plastic aside from the door handles. Squirrels really eat :jeep: s?
:amazing:

Imagine that’s the reason to :plac:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:59 am I like the extra space in the 4-door. It's amazing how often you use the back seats for putting random things. I think it's the ideal size for a vehicle.

2-door would work, but might get a tad old over time...especially towing. That short wheelbase would be a pain...they're only rated to tow 1k lbs as a result.

The best of them all is the JT. The long wheelbase makes it look weird, but holy hell is it comfy to put miles on. Tracks straighter, minimal body motion, tons of space in the back seat, it's really my favorite. I'll have a report this weekend on towing performance.
JT is ideal. Would be a great vehicle; JLU too. 2 door JL is too small for me, and would not tow the tinycamper well.

But man, neither are cheap. I commented not long ago that I've been priced out of new vehicles, and it's true. Could I blow that much on a vehicle? I guess. Do I want to? Nah man.

I think what I truly appreciate about the JKU, particularly mine - is that I don't have to give too many fucks about it. I wash it once a month, street park it at work and don't care, drive it into Philly and don't care. If I have muddy feet or I'm fresh off a bike ride, it's NBD.

I've also been driving older, more basic vehicles for a while now, so fancy things feel foreign. The JGC felt waaaaaaay above my pay grade.
Cue up the used $10k 4th gen 4Runner
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Man, so much this. It is just insane how expensive most good new vehicles are. I guess I could afford one... between the BMW and :poorvette: I could likely spend a similar amount to own something new in the $35-40K range, but that barely gets you into a poverty :jeep: . I also found the tech in that Civic Si to be annoying as hell, the only complaint about that car really. I do enjoy that my BMW is pretty much standard basic car with all of the controls/gauges inside, much like a Jeep.

I will always be a car guy/car lover, but I just don't think new vehicles are for me, sounds like you're in a similar boat. This is why your Frontier was :neat: . I think the JLU would still be cool for you, like Detroit said, it's a nice vehicle without too much :bs: , it will still drive like a car. You could also get :manuel: if you wanted. That price, :doe: ...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

JT is frankly insane :waxer: for normal folks with sub $200K household income unless you have a :unicorn: corp deal.
Last edited by D Griff on Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:05 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:12 am So a guy at work has a JK Sport with the plastic bumpers and recently discovered that squirrels have been eating it. :wtf:

I was looking at it last night and they've already taken a nice chunk out of one of his fenders and they're starting on the other side. Lots of bites on the bumper as well. They've already sampled pretty much all of the exterior plastic aside from the door handles. Squirrels really eat :jeep: s?
:amazing:

Imagine that’s the reason to :plac:
:mahman: needs a pit bull in his life
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:07 am JT is frankly insane :waxer: for normal folks with sub $200K household income unless you have a :unicorn: corp deal. $60k for a :fancy: :oxcart: is :wtf:
Why not just get 35k ranger?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:09 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:07 am JT is frankly insane :waxer: for normal folks with sub $200K household income unless you have a :unicorn: corp deal. $60k for a :fancy: :oxcart: is :wtf:
Not as cool, not a convertible, no manual, ugly... I agree that if you actually "just need a truck" for whatever reason, it makes a lot more sense, the Ranger looks horrible though. Also, with :jeep: depreciation curves, I wouldn't doubt the JT is actually cheaper to own if you have the $60K in capital to blow.
max225

Wk2 too fancy ?
Go wk1
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 16485.html

4 figures for a super clean V8 powered one that can tow, and no you don’t need the 5.7. This one is already on par with the new JL in terms of performance.
4 figures ....

Let’s hear the excuses ....
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:12 am

Not as cool, not a convertible, no manual, ugly... I agree that if you actually "just need a truck" for whatever reason, it makes a lot more sense, the Ranger looks horrible though. Also, with :jeep: depreciation curves, I wouldn't doubt the JT is actually cheaper to own if you have the $60K in capital to blow.
No way in hell .... is it cheaper to own... maybe if we’re talking 50 to 60k price points .... but we’re talking a lot less than that
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:13 am Wk2 too fancy ?
Go wk1

4 figures for a super clean V8 powered one that can tow, and no you don’t need the 5.7. This one is already on par with the new JL in terms of performance.
4 figures ....

Hell of a lot of car for the money, IMO.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Stop right there. Money is money. The only thing that should advise you if something is above your pay grade is the price.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:50 am

Stop right there. Money is money. The only thing that should advise you if something is above your pay grade is the price.
No, bro that’s not how :plac: works.

It has to flex with fellow bro’s be more capable or equally capable as current ride, have no shortcomings over it like none, and be same Price or less...

Oh that’s right if that vehicle existed during the purchase of the last one it would have been bought. This is just typical :plac: “reasoning”
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Go wk1

4 figures ....

:wub:

I doubt [user not found] would be comfortable in the drivers seat of one doe.
max225

Apex wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:16 pm
Go wk1

4 figures ....

It’s under 7k.... put down 4 layers of 100s on the seat and call it a day ?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:21 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:16 pm

That one you posted is crazy clean and being sold by an owner with a $1.5 mill house or whatever, I'd imagine it's quite a safe bet. Pretty 5/7, you should :doit:
Johnny_P

Go wk1

4 figures ....

Apex has one. I don't hate these. Low range didn't come standard but you can def get them with it. Tupperware quality interior but who cares. Not like the JK is the epitome of interior materials. That big dick 5.7 motor would struggle to get 19 MPG highway. The 3.7 motor is pretty down on power, it would be a pretty slow vehicle.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:58 pm
Go wk1

4 figures ....

Apex has one. I don't hate these. Low range didn't come standard but you can def get them with it. Tupperware quality interior but who cares. Not like the JK is the epitome of interior materials. That big dick 5.7 motor would struggle to get 19 MPG highway. The 3.7 motor is pretty down on power, it would be a pretty slow vehicle.
The one posted has the 4.7 V8, so perfectly fine power wise and probably my preferred motor in these. Also had the low-range t-case (probably the QTII system) so can get off the beaten path really well.
max225

Go wk1

4 figures ....

:bruh: this has a 4.7 260 hp 340tq. I had a lower hp version of that motor in my wj and it was great. Also not like the wrangler gets over 20highway either.

It was probably the quickest 0-30 vehicle I have ever owned. Thing would snap your neck
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:07 pm

:bruh: this has a 4.7 260 hp 340tq. I had a lower hp version of that motor in my wj and it was great. Also not like the wrangler gets over 20highway either.

It was probably the quickest 0-30 vehicle I have ever owned. Thing would snap your neck
:impressive: and yeah the 4.7 is the motor to get on them.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:03 pm

The one posted has the 4.7 V8, so perfectly fine power wise and probably my preferred motor in these. Also had the low-range t-case (probably the QTII system) so can get off the beaten path really well.
:impressive: it would obliterate those river rocks at Z's house
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:dat:

FWIW, a Sport S with 7" screen, hard top, and auto is $43k MSRP. Should have no issue getting one for well under $40k. Has everything you could want, nothing you don't. Goofy looks are instantly solved with a set of take-off Rubicon Wheels/tires for under $1k.

Yes, still a ton of money, but everyone throws out the $50k+ numbers that just aren't the entire story. It is for a Rubicon, but few need a Rubicon.

I absolutely love my JT. It's almost been a month with it, and I still get giddy when I walk up to it. Working it's way up the favorites list...easily top 5 ATM.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:22 pm

FWIW, a Sport S with 7" screen, hard top, and auto is $43k MSRP. Should have no issue getting one for well under $40k. Has everything you could want, nothing you don't. Goofy looks are instantly solved with a set of take-off Rubicon Wheels/tires for under $1k.

Yes, still a ton of money, but everyone throws out the $50k+ numbers that just aren't the entire story. It is for a Rubicon, but few need a Rubicon.

I absolutely love my JT. It's almost been a month with it, and I still get giddy when I walk up to it. Working it's way up the favorites list...easily top 5 ATM.
I always end up reading this as ass-to-mouth and think :wtf: are these guys talking about
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:22 pm

It’s a bad-ass orange truck that has lockers, 33s from the factory, and the doors and roof come off! What’s not to love?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:50 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:21 pm

That one you posted is crazy clean and being sold by an owner with a $1.5 mill house or whatever, I'd imagine it's quite a safe bet. Pretty 5/7, you should :doit:
Agreed. That is an insanely clean 14 year old truck.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.