Chevy Suburban an interesting experience.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So I spent 1500 miles in this thing so far.... and I have it for another 2-3 days.
This truck/suv is a very interesting vehicle in many ways. Here is my quick take

The good.
1. Supreme comfort, this thing is incredibly comfortable, as per my experiences in all full size vehicles, they tend to be quietest and best riding vehicles currently on the market. There is no road noise and this thing handles bumps with ease and little fuss. They are not shitty riding vehicles by any means (as per the past), matter of fact they ride better than most luxury sedans.
2. Insane amount of headroom (up front with no sunroof) this thing had more headroom than any vehicle I have ever been in.
3. Incredibly comfortable seats. 1500 miles in 4 days and no pain/discomfort to speak of.
4. A lot of space... (as expected) this thing can comfortably move 4 full size adults and 2 kids (in the back 3rd row) or smallish females.
5. Interesting tech. The lane keep assist is a peculiar tech, it works about 50% of the time, and it helps with a vehicle this size. The auto high beam is amazing, it works 99% correctly. Car play was kind of gay... the maps worked well, however pandora app worked like ass, not displaying the art etc. You had to connect through jewtooth and then it would work properly.
6. I love the LS motors. The way they progressed is simply amazing, if you drive like a bitch, you can in fact get the advertised 22 mpg freeway which is insane for a house. The cylinder deactivation is seamless as well...
It also sounds great and has power throughout the entire range. Great motor. The 6 speed trans was pretty good as well, oddly the first gear is too short and 2nd is too long, those were my only complaints. Other than that it was performing as expected. This engine is just a frigging gem, it powered this thing effortlessly through anything I threw at it. And it sounded pretty good as well.
7. Turning circle isn't horrific especially considering the size.
8. 31 gallon gas tank is a blessing and a curse. The range is epic, this car would outlast any driver with a 600+ mile range... however I noticed that a lot of gas stations have a 25 gallon limit... so you have to fill up twice. :lol:

So... that was that...
Here is the bad.. perhaps due to "rental" spec but maybe not.
1. This car had a lot of missing features especially at the pricepoint... NO HIDS, No keyless, no front parking sensors. Yet it had car play, nav, auto wipers, high beams, lane assist and collision warning.
2. The cars size is odd... it could easily be a few feet shorter without sacrificing the space. The engine probably has 1-2 feet in front of it... and a lot of wasted space in the engine compartment.
3. I can't think of anyone who would purchase this vehicle and why... The idea is a rugged 7 seater that has 4x4 and luxury.
However if you break it down, it doesn't really make sense.
If you in fact have a large family a minivan makes so much more sense than this, it is easier to drive, cheaper, and has more space. A tahoe would also make more sense since it eliminates the un-necessary size increase in the burban. The 3rd row isn't exactly comfortable either.
Going off roads in this thing is kind of impossible due to the huge wheel base, and lack of ground clearance.
MPG isn't going to match a minivan either, it isn't BAD considering the size, but a lot of the size is unnecessary.
4. The amount of turns lock to lock is just insane... the most of any car i have ever driven... :butwhy: It doesn't have to be that way.
5. The suspension is very odd, yes it is a big car, but going over some larger bumps etc, unsettles it and it does 1-2 extra bounces as if the shocks were out (my car had 6k miles at the time) so I am pretty sure that is how it was designed. This creates dangerous situations at points.
6. The brakes are horrible. Seriously... horrible, I get it, it is a large car but the pedal is mushy and the brake distance seems 50% longer than a comparable sedan, and there is a ton of nosedive. That seems unacceptable in todays safety oriented world.

So yes, I did in fact enjoy this vehicle it is probably the best vehicle to take through america end to end. But it is certainly a dinosaur walking among the current car world.
max225

On my favorite Jetta road here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

The "wasted space" in the engine compartment is so that service can be done without taking the car apart. Murican vs German engineering.
max225

troyguitar wrote:The "wasted space" in the engine compartment is so that service can be done without taking the car apart. Murican vs German engineering.
The engine sits between/slightly behind the front shock towers... there is also a spot for a 2nd Battery... :butwhy;

Desertbreh

maxtdi wrote:So I spent 1500 miles in this thing so far.... and I have it for another 2-3 days.
This truck/suv is a very interesting vehicle in many ways. Here is my quick take

The good.
1. Supreme comfort, this thing is incredibly comfortable, as per my experiences in all full size vehicles, they tend to be quietest and best riding vehicles currently on the market. There is no road noise and this thing handles bumps with ease and little fuss. They are not shitty riding vehicles by any means (as per the past), matter of fact they ride better than most luxury sedans.
2. Insane amount of headroom (up front with no sunroof) this thing had more headroom than any vehicle I have ever been in.
3. Incredibly comfortable seats. 1500 miles in 4 days and no pain/discomfort to speak of.
4. A lot of space... (as expected) this thing can comfortably move 4 full size adults and 2 kids (in the back 3rd row) or smallish females.
5. Interesting tech. The lane keep assist is a peculiar tech, it works about 50% of the time, and it helps with a vehicle this size. The auto high beam is amazing, it works 99% correctly. Car play was kind of gay... the maps worked well, however pandora app worked like ass, not displaying the art etc. You had to connect through jewtooth and then it would work properly.
6. I love the LS motors. The way they progressed is simply amazing, if you drive like a bitch, you can in fact get the advertised 22 mpg freeway which is insane for a house. The cylinder deactivation is seamless as well...
It also sounds great and has power throughout the entire range. Great motor. The 6 speed trans was pretty good as well, oddly the first gear is too short and 2nd is too long, those were my only complaints. Other than that it was performing as expected. This engine is just a frigging gem, it powered this thing effortlessly through anything I threw at it. And it sounded pretty good as well.
7. Turning circle isn't horrific especially considering the size.
8. 31 gallon gas tank is a blessing and a curse. The range is epic, this car would outlast any driver with a 600+ mile range... however I noticed that a lot of gas stations have a 25 gallon limit... so you have to fill up twice. :lol:

So... that was that...
Here is the bad.. perhaps due to "rental" spec but maybe not.
1. This car had a lot of missing features especially at the pricepoint... NO HIDS, No keyless, no front parking sensors. Yet it had car play, nav, auto wipers, high beams, lane assist and collision warning.
2. The cars size is odd... it could easily be a few feet shorter without sacrificing the space. The engine probably has 1-2 feet in front of it... and a lot of wasted space in the engine compartment.
3. I can't think of anyone who would purchase this vehicle and why... The idea is a rugged 7 seater that has 4x4 and luxury.
However if you break it down, it doesn't really make sense.
If you in fact have a large family a minivan makes so much more sense than this, it is easier to drive, cheaper, and has more space. A tahoe would also make more sense since it eliminates the un-necessary size increase in the burban. The 3rd row isn't exactly comfortable either.
Going off roads in this thing is kind of impossible due to the huge wheel base, and lack of ground clearance.
MPG isn't going to match a minivan either, it isn't BAD considering the size, but a lot of the size is unnecessary.
4. The amount of turns lock to lock is just insane... the most of any car i have ever driven... :butwhy: It doesn't have to be that way.
5. The suspension is very odd, yes it is a big car, but going over some larger bumps etc, unsettles it and it does 1-2 extra bounces as if the shocks were out (my car had 6k miles at the time) so I am pretty sure that is how it was designed. This creates dangerous situations at points.
6. The brakes are horrible. Seriously... horrible, I get it, it is a large car but the pedal is mushy and the brake distance seems 50% longer than a comparable sedan, and there is a ton of nosedive. That seems unacceptable in todays safety oriented world.

So yes, I did in fact enjoy this vehicle it is probably the best vehicle to take through america end to end. But it is certainly a dinosaur walking among the current car world.
A lot of people go Burb over Brahoe because the extra wheelbase makes for a better tow vehicle. Most women hate parking the Burb.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Unless the brakes are different than my truck, something must have been up with the rental. I'd classify the brakes on my truck as too strong...or overassisted or something. Tap the pedal and it's stopping instantly. Nosedive is bad, but the suspension is soft and it still stops so...?

And is definitely sounds like you got some odd rental spec when it came to the equipment.

The point of this vehicle is for a family that tows a bunch of stuff (campers, boats, etc). A Traverse is just as good if not better in every way, especially the new one.

But still, sounds like you enjoyed it. The things are certainly nice, and I agree they're probably the best way to cross the country. I do wish they had more Off-Road ability. Even the Z71 option is mostly lame.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

maxtdi wrote:On my favorite Jetta road here

Came for AZN. Left with Russian. :disappoint:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
troyguitar wrote:The "wasted space" in the engine compartment is so that service can be done without taking the car apart. Murican vs German engineering.
The engine sits between/slightly behind the front shock towers... there is also a spot for a 2nd Battery... :butwhy;

It really is serviceability and upgradability for fleets, etc.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

maxtdi wrote:

Part of it is probably similar to the Vettes where they shove the engine back past the suspension so that they can move the weight more towards the center. I love the space in the front of my Silverado. It makes it easy to get to everything except with the fenders being so tall I have to use a step stool and bend a lot to get to certain parts of the motor. But I love how I at least have access to everything.
max225

Desertbreh wrote:
A lot of people go Burb over Brahoe because the extra wheelbase makes for a better tow vehicle. Most women hate parking the Burb.
:lol: AZN mk1 driving the burb was something else... Parking? lulz... no wai. She was too scared. This thing also doesn't fit into a normal parking spot end to end. It is surprisingly easy to drive doe.
max225

Detroit wrote:Unless the brakes are different than my truck, something must have been up with the rental. I'd classify the brakes on my truck as too strong...or overassisted or something. Tap the pedal and it's stopping instantly. Nosedive is bad, but the suspension is soft and it still stops so...?

And is definitely sounds like you got some odd rental spec when it came to the equipment.

The point of this vehicle is for a family that tows a bunch of stuff (campers, boats, etc). A Traverse is just as good if not better in every way, especially the new one.

But still, sounds like you enjoyed it. The things are certainly nice, and I agree they're probably the best way to cross the country. I do wish they had more Off-Road ability. Even the Z71 option is mostly lame.
Weird... totally not the case here... Not overly assisted. Kind of feel like the crown vic... old school american brakes with a lot of travel. They work it is just that they don't work that great.
I can't imagine towing with this thing... it is already insanely long... You should not be legally allowed to operate a vehicle this size+boat with a regular licence :lol:
Plus with these brakes it would literally be suicidal.
Last edited by max225 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

Desertbreh wrote:
maxtdi wrote:On my favorite Jetta road here

Bang bang

ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote:Unless the brakes are different than my truck, something must have been up with the rental. I'd classify the brakes on my truck as too strong...or overassisted or something. Tap the pedal and it's stopping instantly. Nosedive is bad, but the suspension is soft and it still stops so...?

Weird... totally not the case here... Not overly assisted. Kind of feel like the crown vic... old school american brakes with a lot of travel. They work it is just that they don't work that great.
I can't imagine towing with this thing... it is already insanely long... You should not be legally allowed to operate a vehicle this size+boat with a regular licence :lol:
Hm, that's strange on the brakes. Everyone who drives my truck comments how "touchy" or "grabby" the brakes are. They're nuts. Maybe the Burb is different, but I don't get why.
Extra wheelbase helps a lot with trailer sway when towing something heavy. Massive, no doubt. :lolol:
Desertbreh

maxtdi wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
Bang bang

:bravo:
max225

Detroit wrote:

Yea it is a great vehicle. I really like the LS in it... such brub. And economy isn't horrible. I expected 15 mpg... got 18.1 which is better than what my 1000lb lighter jeep grand cherokee returned.
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote:

Yea it is a great vehicle. I really like the LS in it... such brub. And economy isn't horrible. I expected 15 mpg... got 18.1 which is better than what my 1000lb lighter jeep grand cherokee returned.
Dat cylinder deactivation is 5/7 :impressive:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Detroit wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
Hm, that's strange on the brakes. Everyone who drives my truck comments how "touchy" or "grabby" the brakes are. They're nuts. Maybe the Burb is different, but I don't get why.
Extra wheelbase helps a lot with trailer sway when towing something heavy. Massive, no doubt. :lolol:
Brakes in my Doe are solid, too. Probably just beat up rental truck brakes.
max225

fledonfoot wrote:
Detroit wrote: Hm, that's strange on the brakes. Everyone who drives my truck comments how "touchy" or "grabby" the brakes are. They're nuts. Maybe the Burb is different, but I don't get why.
Solid compared to what doe? Also isn't a burban about 300-400lbs heavier than a comparatively sized truck?
max225

Feature Highlights Of The Suburban Trim:
The 2017 LT Model Includes All LS Features As Well As:
Leather-appointed first- and second-row seats
Bose® premium sound system
Heated front bucket seats with memory
Power liftgate with programmable height
Lane Keep Assist
Forward Collision Alert

This looks like the package I had... pretty much standard run of the mill LT trim. Which is the most popular I'd think?!

Also chevy says seating for up to 9... :wtf: ? HOW?
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
fledonfoot wrote:
Solid compared to what doe? Also isn't a burban about 300-400lbs heavier than a comparatively sized truck?
My truck has better brakes than our Saab did. Hell, it rivals the Volt in how quickly they respond to pedal input and force. I also have a bitch-spec V6, so that might help braking too.

The SUV is likely heavier, and that may have something to do with it...but I'm inclined to blame rental fleet lyfe over engineering. I haven't driven a modern GM product with bad brakes.
Desertbreh

maxtdi wrote:
fledonfoot wrote:
In anything that weighs 6000 lbs and is used towing, they ought to make multi-piston fixed calipers an option, but there would only be like 10 takers so nahgonnahappen.
max225

Looks like the $3000 luxury package adds, the front park assist and keyless, and heated steering wheel, :gay: On top of a 57k MSRP JAYYSUS
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:Feature Highlights Of The Suburban Trim:
The 2017 LT Model Includes All LS Features As Well As:
Leather-appointed first- and second-row seats
Bose® premium sound system
Heated front bucket seats with memory
Power liftgate with programmable height
Lane Keep Assist
Forward Collision Alert

This looks like the package I had... pretty much standard run of the mill LT trim. Which is the most popular I'd think?!

Also chevy says seating for up to 9... :wtf: ? HOW?
Benches for 3 rows gets you 9 seats, breh. I can (and have) fit 6 in my truck.

Also, LT is probably the most popular because they're cheaper than LTZ. Weird LT doesn't have HIDz...
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
In anything that weighs 6000 lbs and is used towing, they ought to make multi-piston fixed calipers an option, but there would only be like 10 takers so nahgonnahappen.
It's going to be a performance accessory, actually. Nobody will buy them, but still...an option. 6-pot Brembros.
max225

Desertbreh wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
Yea... this thing needs bigger brakes for sure... but apparently I am crazy or they got ruined in 6k miles. No way to know for sure. :gaydance: