Sawce's Toy Car

Strut your greasy stuff!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Was able to snag an appointment at the DMV today to get this thing titled and registered out here. Need to swing by our emissions testing site first, but should all be a smooth process.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So... get ready for a check list.
1. When were the brakes last done and what shape are they in?
2. When was the oil last changed?
3. When was the coolant changed?
4. How is the brake fluid looking?
5. How old is that clutch?
6. How old are these tires ?
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

:nice:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Congrats. I feel like this thread is just a happier version of this:

SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:54 am So... get ready for a check list.
1. When were the brakes last done and what shape are they in? No info on brake pad/rotor changes. I do need to go do a visual inspection on them. They grab well and don't have any noises, grinding, or shimmying while braking.
2. When was the oil last changed? Oil was last changed 9/21/2023 at 74,619 miles (currently 74,883) 6 months old and only 250 miles.. I could change it myself now for some peace of mind, but I'm sure it's fine to run to 80k miles then I'll change it. Open to being told to change it now lol.
3. When was the coolant changed? Coolant was changed with oil on 9/21/2023.
4. How is the brake fluid looking? Brake fluid looks fine. it was flushed 8/4/2023 at 73,246 miles. Master cylinder was replaced at the same time.
5. How old is that clutch? No info on the clutch. It grabs good, no weird chattering or other noises. Something to be aware of for a possible replacement at some time, but it feels great for now. I've probably driven this car harder in the last three days than it ever had been before.
6. How old are these tires? Tires were put on 3/24/2022 at 72,767 miles, so just over two years old and a hair over 2k miles on them :notbad: They look great.
SAWCE

MrH42 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:20 pm Congrats. I feel like this thread is just a happier version of this:

Hahahha 100%. I already started getting looks getting out of the car when I went to go grab groceries last night :lol:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:40 pm
MrH42 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:20 pm Congrats. I feel like this thread is just a happier version of this:

Hahahha 100%. I already started getting looks getting out of the car when I went to go grab groceries last night :lol:
i always seem to get those comments when i get out the miata.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:52 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:40 pm

i always seem to get those comments when i get out the miata.
Ha I didn’t even think about that when you picked the Miata up.
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Many Things

I fit in a Suzuki Cappuccino, it's doable.
Desertbreh

Those left side helper springs.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:32 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:54 am So... get ready for a check list.
1. When were the brakes last done and what shape are they in? No info on brake pad/rotor changes. I do need to go do a visual inspection on them. They grab well and don't have any noises, grinding, or shimmying while braking.
2. When was the oil last changed? Oil was last changed 9/21/2023 at 74,619 miles (currently 74,883) 6 months old and only 250 miles.. I could change it myself now for some peace of mind, but I'm sure it's fine to run to 80k miles then I'll change it. Open to being told to change it now lol.
4. How is the brake fluid looking? Brake fluid looks fine. it was flushed 8/4/2023 at 73,246 miles. Master cylinder was replaced at the same time.
5. How old is that clutch? No info on the clutch. It grabs good, no weird chattering or other noises. Something to be aware of for a possible replacement at some time, but it feels great for now. I've probably driven this car harder in the last three days than it ever had been before.
6. How old are these tires? Tires were put on 3/24/2022 at 72,767 miles, so just over two years old and a hair over 2k miles on them :notbad: They look great.
So the car got a major service come late last year and then sort of sat?

Also check the cabin air filter... but it seems like with that sort of history (good) it was changed as well as engine air filter.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:03 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:32 pm

So the car got a major service come late last year and then sort of sat?

Also check the cabin air filter... but it seems like with that sort of history (good) it was changed as well as engine air filter.
Yep.. I got to talk to his mom a bit while we did the transaction and she’s just too old to drive a :manuel: anymore (70+) but is a car enthusiast like my coworker and always wanted it taken care of. She would drive it the mile or two from her apartment to his apartment once or twice a week so that it wasn’t just sitting, but that was about it.

Good call on cabin air filter. Will scope that out and probably replace it unless it looks fresh.
Desertbreh

You could die if the cabin filter is not changed.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Many Things

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:34 pm You could die if the cabin filter is not changed.
:lolol: :slowclap:
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:34 pm You could die if the cabin filter is not changed.
My little baby lungs can’t handle anything except for the 75° humidified air coming out of my CPAP.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I thought about that :lolol:

I’m all about it though. I mean, I daily drove an NA back when I used to be jacked and 6’1”.

Sounds like the maintenance is super up to date! Clutch will be fine, I’ve never had to replace a clutch on any vehicle. My C5 was still rocking the OG when I sold it with like 130k Miles and 30-40 track days.
SAWCE

Quoting is giving server errors. In response to Dan:

Yeah even with the stage 1 APR tune my GTI clutch was good for 167k miles or whatever it had when I traded it in. May be an issue one day, but for now it’s not something I need to worry about.

Cabin air filter does look like to was missed in the recent services. I’m a Napa Gold filter fan, so I’ll have one of those shipped to my local store and pick that up in the next day or two. Might order one of their intake air filters and an oil filter as well just to have them on hand for when they’re needed.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:06 pm Quoting is giving server errors. In response to Dan:

Yeah even with the stage 1 APR tune my GTI clutch was good for 167k miles or whatever it had when I traded it in. May be an issue one day, but for now it’s not something I need to worry about.

Cabin air filter does look like to was missed in the recent services. I’m a Napa Gold filter fan, so I’ll have one of those shipped to my local store and pick that up in the next day or two. Might order one of their intake air filters and an oil filter as well just to have them on hand for when they’re needed.
:mahman:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Quotes are broken for me. In response to D Griff:

I'm 6'2", and have had an NC miata, 2 BRZs, and an S2000. I know the feeling.

SAWCE is like The Hulk though. I do love that gen Mini though. I had 2 friends in high school with them. I was always blown away how well packaged they are. I could sit in the back of the standard mini. My best friend had (and still has it to this day!) a clubman S from that era with a manual. We took road trips in it and it was always fine space wise.
SAWCE

MrH42 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:40 am Quotes are broken for me. In response to D Griff:

SAWCE is like The Hulk though. I do love that gen Mini though. I had 2 friends in high school with them. I was always blown away how well packaged they are. I could sit in the back of the standard mini. My best friend had (and still has it to this day!) a clubman S from that era with a manual. We took road trips in it and it was always fine space wise.
6’2” bros! :sissyfight:

There isn’t much room behind my seat at all. Rear facing car seat will have to go behind the passenger seat. Luckily Michelle isn’t super tall, a bit over average for a woman at like 5’6”-5’7”, but her seat can scoot up far enough to accommodate a rear facing seat. Luckily we have her CX-5, and the three of us shouldn’t ever need to be in the Mini at the same time. A front facing seat could probably fit behind mine, but I wouldn’t do that since I won’t want little footprints and scuffs all over the back of the seat.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:25 am
MrH42 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:40 am Quotes are broken for me. In response to D Griff:

There isn’t much room behind my seat at all. Rear facing car seat will have to go behind the passenger seat. Luckily Michelle isn’t super tall, a bit over average for a woman at like 5’6”-5’7”, but her seat can scoot up far enough to accommodate a rear facing seat. Luckily we have her CX-5, and the three of us shouldn’t ever need to be in the Mini at the same time. A front facing seat could probably fit behind mine, but I wouldn’t do that since I won’t want little footprints and scuffs all over the back of the seat.
According to this forum. Mini cooper 2 doors fit 4 people in relative comfort :lol:

Did you try out the car seat already? I don't see a way for the seat to fit... those things fit like shit.. if its under 35" of rear legroom. Mini is like low 30s at best...
Last edited by max225 on Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:10 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:25 am

According to this forum. Mini cooper 2 doors fit 4 people in relative comfort :lol:

Did you try out the car seat already? I don't see a way for the seat to fit... those things fit like shit.. if its under 35" of rear legroom. Mini is like mid 20s...
I have not. We still need to acquire one. Do you like the one you two went with? I’ll take a link to scope it out if so.. been looking at some Graco ones.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:12 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:10 pm

Did you try out the car seat already? I don't see a way for the seat to fit... those things fit like shit.. if its under 35" of rear legroom. Mini is like mid 20s...
I have not. We still need to acquire one. Do you like the one you two went with? I’ll take a link to scope it out if so.. been looking at some Graco ones.
Using Nuna's I picked up used for $100. Ya... as you can see my kid only gets the "best". :lol:
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:14 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:12 pm

Using Nuna's I picked up used for $100. Ya... as you can see my kid only gets the "best". :lol:
Oh we’ve been trolling FB market place for stuff like that for sure. Saw a new in box one that would have been awesome for like $80.. dude got shipped the wrong color and amazing told him to keep it when they sent the replacement :impressive: but it had already sold when we reached out to the seller.
SAWCE

$490 later and she’s got plates, two years registration paid, and an Oregon title en route to me in the next 2-3 weeks. Peeled the Netherlands Football sticker off the back window as well.