Man Movies

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

Someone posted about Shawshank Redemption and it got me thinking, what's my top 10 favorite movies. Ones that I'll watch if there on and over and over again.

Curious if you guys have similar feelings. And if you have recs I might have not seen.

In no particular order:

Goodfellas - this is without question a man movie, one that I'll watch twice in one day if I was up to it. I love this movie.

Pulp Fiction - I mean, who doesn't love classic Tarantino, Samuel L, Bruce, and Travolta.

Shawshank Redemption - I fuckin love this movie. It makes me feel almost every emotion, which is rare for a movie.

Django Unchained - maybe I'm just a Tarantino fanboy, but I also love westerns!!

My Cousin Vinny - Maybe I'm just a Pesci Fanboy? Naw, Marissa Tomei was one of my first crushes and I just love this movie. Made me pretend to be a lawyer growing up.

A Bronx Tale - Again, this one makes me feel almost every emotion and I love movies set in the 50s and 60s. Chazz Palminteri is one of my favorite underrated actors.

I'm going to combine them, because they're essentially the same movie to me, just different generations: Dazed and Confused and American Graffiti. I love those movies that really feel like you're in that setting.

The Godfather (all four) - I love Al Pacino and will listen to his cadence all day.

Full Metal Jacket - best monologue in a movie....maybe ever!!

I also fucking love Tommy Boy. Classic Spade and Farley driving around in a Satellite masquerading as a GTX? What's not to love...RIP Plymouth
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:51 pm Someone posted about Shawshank Redemption and it got me thinking, what's my top 10 favorite movies. Ones that I'll watch if there on and over and over again.

Curious if you guys have similar feelings. And if you have recs I might have not seen.

In no particular order:

Goodfellas - this is without question a man movie, one that I'll watch twice in one day if I was up to it. I love this movie.

Pulp Fiction - I mean, who doesn't love classic Tarantino, Samuel L, Bruce, and Travolta.

Shawshank Redemption - I fuckin love this movie. It makes me feel almost every emotion, which is rare for a movie.

Django Unchained - maybe I'm just a Tarantino fanboy, but I also love westerns!!

My Cousin Vinny - Maybe I'm just a Pesci Fanboy? Naw, Marissa Tomei was one of my first crushes and I just love this movie. Made me pretend to be a lawyer growing up.

A Bronx Tale - Again, this one makes me feel almost every emotion and I love movies set in the 50s and 60s. Chazz Palminteri is one of my favorite underrated actors.

I'm going to combine them, because they're essentially the same movie to me, just different generations: Dazed and Confused and American Graffiti. I love those movies that really feel like you're in that setting.

The Godfather (all four) - I love Al Pacino and will listen to his cadence all day.

I also fucking love Tommy Boy. Classic Spade and Farley driving around in a Satellite masquerading as a GTX? What's not to love...RIP Plymouth
I have lighlighted my agreement on things that I will watch no matter how many times I have seen it. Critical element of Tommy Boy is Ackroyd as Zalinksy.
Throwing in the Western Genre: Silverado, Appaloosa, Tombstone.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:51 pm Someone posted about Shawshank Redemption and it got me thinking, what's my top 10 favorite movies. Ones that I'll watch if there on and over and over again.

In no particular order:

Where the fuck is Gladiator on this list?
Also Godfather after the 2nd one is just :trash:

More "man" movies are:
RAMBO,
Predator,
Terminator,
Demolition Man,
Die Hard series,
5th Element,
True Lies
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:neat: thread.

Terminator 2
AlienS
LOTR Two Towers

Gonna go full :wap: now.
Westerns? True Grit and The Cowboys, both with John Wayne. Though I do like the Coen Brothers version too.
Sink the Bismarck
The Enemy Below
Great Escape
Any Monty Python Movie
Any Laurel and Hardy short
Animal House
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Thought of a few more.
Patton
Ben Hur
Sparticus
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:31 pm Thought of a few more.
Patton
Ben Hur
Sparticus
Patton is epic
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Sheltered Mormon boy has only seen like 3 of the movies in this thread :lolol:

And now I don’t care to spend time watching movies so the list will forever go mostly unwatched.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:54 pm Sheltered Mormon boy has only seen like 3 of the movies in this thread :lolol:

And now I don’t care to spend time watching movies so the list will forever go mostly unwatched.
:(
SAWCE

wap wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:38 am
SAWCE wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:54 pm Sheltered Mormon boy has only seen like 3 of the movies in this thread :lolol:

I’ll let you pick one and I’ll watch it.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

SAWCE wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:54 am

You’ve only seen three movies mentioned? This is blasphemy! Also, didn’t you say you’d only watched like three super bowls? My southern male brain cannot comprehend.

The first movie you watch should be Apocalypse Now (the redux). You need three to four shroom caps and two beers. Enjoy the trip! The redux is over 3 hours long. I made my wife watch it and she was on her phone the whole time. But it is truly a gem!
wap

Well, what genre(s) do you like? For OG sword and sandal epics, Sparticus is 5/7 but Ben Hur has a bit of a :jesus: -y aspect which you might like.

If you like war movies, Patton is indeed great, as Dirk said, but I'm also partial to Great Escape. Fantastic Steve McQueen movie that was also a true story.

Westerns? Should've also mentioned Outlaw Josie Wales, but The Cowboys I really liked when I was a kid. Bruce Dern plays a great bad guy. But True Grit is pretty fantastic.

For comedies, please see Animal House. It was almost a rite of passage to see it when it came out, especially if you were under age and had to sneak into the theater.

I'll let others make their own recommendations of their movies.

Let me know which one(s) you decide to watch! :like:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I've seen 1.5 or 2 of the movies in this thread. We weren't really a movie house I guess.
wap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:32 pm I've seen 1.5 or 2 of the movies in this thread. We weren't really a movie house I guess.
Which ones have you seen?

Same question for you, :sawce:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

wap wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:32 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:32 pm I've seen 1.5 or 2 of the movies in this thread. We weren't really a movie house I guess.
Which ones have you seen?

Same question for you, :sawce:
Django because it's somewhat recent, and bits of Tommy Boy
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Ohhhhhh. I forget that Sawce and Cale wouldn't have Direct TV or cable because why would you have that expensive shit when you can just watch....whatever it is that you watche. Because those have like 80% of the movies mentioned on ALL THE TIME. Right now the Patriot is on. Which is like Braveheart in another century. Have you guys seen these? Any Mel Gibson movies? Mad Max?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Like all this sort of thing was verboten on the tube at home? But you've been on your own for like, 15 years?
SAWCE

wap wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:48 am

Well, what genre(s) do you like? For OG sword and sandal epics, Sparticus is 5/7 but Ben Hur has a bit of a :jesus: -y aspect which you might like.

If you like war movies, Patton is indeed great, as Dirk said, but I'm also partial to Great Escape. Fantastic Steve McQueen movie that was also a true story.

Westerns? Should've also mentioned Outlaw Josie Wales, but The Cowboys I really liked when I was a kid. Bruce Dern plays a great bad guy. But True Grit is pretty fantastic.

For comedies, please see Animal House. It was almost a rite of passage to see it when it came out, especially if you were under age and had to sneak into the theater.

Tell you what, I’ll do you one better and let you pick one from each genre.

I’ve seen Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, and Terminator.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:53 pm

Like all this sort of thing was verboten on the tube at home? But you've been on your own for like, 15 years?
Yes’th. Nothing rated R, and very few PG-13 movies were watched at home. Most of what was watched was Disney movies, stuff like The Sound of Music, my mom really liked all the Tom Hanks with Meg Ryan’s movies.. mostly the TV just wasn’t really on at our place. We were pushed to play outside, read, or play with toys.

And then after I moved out I just have never really had the attention span to enjoy sitting and watching movies. There are a handful that I like and will watch if I don’t feel like doing anything else, like the LOTR trilogy, but generally unless I’m stoned and just feel like zoning out I’d rather be doing other stuff.. stoned movies I usually rotate through Super Bad, Pineapple Express, Step Brothers, 21 Jump Street.. just dumb comedies.
SAWCE

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:33 am

You’ve only seen three movies mentioned? This is blasphemy! Also, didn’t you say you’d only watched like three super bowls? My southern male brain cannot comprehend.

The first movie you watch should be Apocalypse Now (the redux). You need three to four shroom caps and two beers. Enjoy the trip! The redux is over 3 hours long. I made my wife watch it and she was on her phone the whole time. But it is truly a gem!
Now you’re talking my language with those shroomies.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:27 pm
wap wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:48 am

:neat:
Sparticus (based on a true story)
Great Escape (based on a true story)
True Grit (either version, frankly is great, as is the book, if you're interested)

Go!
wap

SAWCE wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:53 pm

Yes’th. Nothing rated R, and very few PG-13 movies were watched at home. Most of what was watched was Disney movies, stuff like The Sound of Music, my mom really liked all the Tom Hanks with Meg Ryan’s movies.. mostly the TV just wasn’t really on at our place. We were pushed to play outside, read, or play with toys.

And then after I moved out I just have never really had the attention span to enjoy sitting and watching movies. There are a handful that I like and will watch if I don’t feel like doing anything else, like the LOTR trilogy, but generally unless I’m stoned and just feel like zoning out I’d rather be doing other stuff.. stoned movies I usually rotate through Super Bad, Pineapple Express, Step Brothers, 21 Jump Street.. just dumb comedies.
This is not a bad thing, IMO.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:05 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Agreed. Especially growing up in our small town, there was so much open desert for me and my friends to explore. We’d ride our bikes all over, build forts, catch lizards/snakes.. it was great.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:04 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:27 pm

True Grit (either version, frankly is great, as is the book, if you're interested)

Go!
On it. Will report back after each one. I’ll see if I can stream any of them on my flight to DC tomorrow.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:31 pm
wap wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:05 pm

Agreed. Especially growing up in our small town, there was so much open desert for me and my friends to explore. We’d ride our bikes all over, build forts, catch lizards/snakes.. it was great.
:megusta:
wap

SAWCE wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:31 pm
wap wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:04 pm

Go!
On it. Will report back after each one. I’ll see if I can stream any of them on my flight to DC tomorrow.
:fuckyeah:
:popcorn: