Man Movies

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:59 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:27 pm

At first I discarded the newer Midway as a :butwhy: desecration of Henry Fonda's grave but I saw it a second time and I'm coming around to some things about it that are ok.
Such as?
I haven't seen it. Forgot all about it actually, until I saw :melon: 's reco of Torax3.
It focuses a lot on the actions of Dick Best and the fact that he was the tip of the spear that sunk both the Akagi and Hiryu. Being the guy who blew up 1/2 the carriers lined up against you in the accepted turning point of the Pacific Theatre of Action is...........heroic. Anyway, second version is more action (because we can simulate these things realistically now) , less top down strategy, so it's not as compelling to a war buff. On the other hand, the original has all kinds of errors in the flight scenes, like F4U Corsairs landing on carriers when that model was not operational in 1942, T6 Texan trainers as Zeros, etc. The original also has Henry Fonda, Glenn Ford and Charlton Heston. Which speaks for itself. Woody Harrelson is a fine actor, but he's no replacement for Henry Fonda as Nimitz (or any other role.) On the other hand, the first version's side story about Heston's son having the love interest with the Japanese girl being interred in one of the camps was......unnecessary IMHO. None of that stuff in Version 2, it's all head to head combat, all the time. Rent V.2.....I would watch it anytime.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:06 pm
wap wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:59 pm

Such as?
I haven't seen it. Forgot all about it actually, until I saw :melon: 's reco of Torax3.
It focuses a lot on the actions of Dick Best and the fact that he was the tip of the spear that sunk both the Akagi and Hiryu. Being the guy who blew up 1/2 the carriers lined up against you in the accepted turning point of the Pacific Theatre of Action is...........heroic. Anyway, second version is more action (because we can simulate these things realistically now) , less top down strategy, so it's not as compelling to a war buff. On the other hand, the original has all kinds of errors in the flight scenes, like F4U Corsairs landing on carriers when that model was not operational in 1942, T6 Texan trainers as Zeros, etc. The original also has Henry Fonda, Glenn Ford and Charlton Heston. Which speaks for itself. Woody Harrelson is a fine actor, but he's no replacement for Henry Fonda as Nimitz (or any other role.) On the other hand, the first version's side story about Heston's son having the love interest with the Japanese girl being interred in one of the camps was......unnecessary IMHO. None of that stuff in Version 2, it's all head to head combat, all the time. Rent V.2.....I would watch it anytime.
:notbad:
Agreed on the Heston son side story being unnecessary. Sounds like it's worth e watch. Thanks the recommendation!

I'd really give Enemy Below a try. Be curious about your impression.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:00 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:06 pm

Agreed on the Heston son side story being unnecessary. Sounds like it's worth e watch. Thanks the recommendation!

I will check it out.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:05 pm
wap wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:00 pm

I will check it out.
It's not even that long so time commitment is relatively low.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:53 pm

Like all this sort of thing was verboten on the tube at home? But you've been on your own for like, 15 years?
Yes’th. Nothing rated R, and very few PG-13 movies were watched at home. Most of what was watched was Disney movies, stuff like The Sound of Music, my mom really liked all the Tom Hanks with Meg Ryan’s movies.. mostly the TV just wasn’t really on at our place. We were pushed to play outside, read, or play with toys.

And then after I moved out I just have never really had the attention span to enjoy sitting and watching movies. There are a handful that I like and will watch if I don’t feel like doing anything else, like the LOTR trilogy, but generally unless I’m stoned and just feel like zoning out I’d rather be doing other stuff.. stoned movies I usually rotate through Super Bad, Pineapple Express, Step Brothers, 21 Jump Street.. just dumb comedies.
Dude, very much same here on all of this. As a kid, no cable, obv no streaming or real internet back then, it was reading, going outside with neighborhood kids to ride bikes, doing school work, building legos... As I aged band/music took up most of my time, hanging with friends, working on cars.

Now I really don't watch TV/movies as I don't ever want to sign up for two hours on a movie or more on shows. I do enjoy watching car content on YouTube or educational stuff like how to fix X thing, perform vehicle/bike/house maintenance, some interesting geography/urban planning stuff but even that is rare now.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Maybe I should hop on board with watching the three recommended movies but probably won't end up doing it.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:55 am

Yes’th. Nothing rated R, and very few PG-13 movies were watched at home. Most of what was watched was Disney movies, stuff like The Sound of Music, my mom really liked all the Tom Hanks with Meg Ryan’s movies.. mostly the TV just wasn’t really on at our place. We were pushed to play outside, read, or play with toys.

And then after I moved out I just have never really had the attention span to enjoy sitting and watching movies. There are a handful that I like and will watch if I don’t feel like doing anything else, like the LOTR trilogy, but generally unless I’m stoned and just feel like zoning out I’d rather be doing other stuff.. stoned movies I usually rotate through Super Bad, Pineapple Express, Step Brothers, 21 Jump Street.. just dumb comedies.
Dude, very much same here on all of this. As a kid, no cable, obv no streaming or real internet back then, it was reading, going outside with neighborhood kids to ride bikes, doing school work, building legos... As I aged band/music took up most of my time, hanging with friends, working on cars.

Now I really don't watch TV/movies as I don't ever want to sign up for two hours on a movie or more on shows. I do enjoy watching car content on YouTube or educational stuff like how to fix X thing, perform vehicle/bike/house maintenance, some interesting geography/urban planning stuff but even that is rare now.
That’s what kills me now about new movies.. everything is a minimum of 2.5 hours long. Feel like 1.5-1.75 used to be the norm.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:41 am

That’s what kills me now about new movies.. everything is a minimum of 2.5 hours long. Feel like 1.5-1.75 used to be the norm.
Bro. You didn't watch movies when they were ANY length.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:56 am Maybe I should hop on board with watching the three recommended movies but probably won't end up doing it.
I consider myself NOT a movie guy AT ALL....i don't like spending time in actual theatres, and compared to many people I haven't seen anything........the fact that I am basically some cinemaphile compared to you and Brandon blows my mind........I mean you guys have literally not seen ANY movies in over 35 years on this planet....that is pretty wild.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:33 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:56 am Maybe I should hop on board with watching the three recommended movies but probably won't end up doing it.
I consider myself NOT a movie guy AT ALL....i don't like spending time in actual theatres, and compared to many people I haven't seen anything........the fact that I am basically some cinemaphile compared to you and Brandon blows my mind........I mean you guys have literally not seen ANY movies in over 35 years on this planet....that is pretty wild.
Yea it is pretty darn wild. COVID lock downs at least would have made anyone catch up... but the mormon faith runs strong through his veins.

I'd add Dune 1 and 2 to this list now... Epic movies.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

I spent time outside as a kid too, but not seeing 10 or 20 classics is inexcusable on your parents....
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

:dat: :dat:
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:40 pm

Yea it is pretty darn wild. COVID lock downs at least would have made anyone catch up... but the mormon faith runs strong through his veins.

I'd add Dune 1 and 2 to this list now... Epic movies.
I did watch the original Dune a few years back with a buddy who is a big fan. I’ve heard the new ones are fantastic and will likely watch at some point.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:26 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:41 am

Bro. You didn't watch movies when they were ANY length.
:notwrong:

I did wear out VHS tapes of the original Star Wars trilogy as a kid though.
wap

All this talk about spending your youth "outside" as a reason you never saw movies is :notsure: . When I was young, there was literally NOTHING ELSE to do as a kid (long before any sort of video games either on a TV or handheld) but spend the day outside riding bikes or playing in your or your friends' backyard or street or alley or some such. We'd be literally kicked out of the house in the morning and told not to come home until dinner, then kicked out again and told not to come home until the street lights came on. Yet we still managed to watch shit tons of great movies (witness my partial list of classics elsewhere in this thread), and this was in pre cable/streaming/VCR days. You watched movies when they showed on one of the 4 or 5 TV channels they would come on, or on the rare occasion that you'd be taken to the theater, but that would just be for kids movies. :wap:
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

wap wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:32 pm All this talk about spending your youth "outside" as a reason you never saw movies is :notsure: . When I was young, there was literally NOTHING ELSE to do as a kid (long before any sort of video games either on a TV or handheld) but spend the day outside riding bikes or playing in your or your friends' backyard or street or alley or some such. We'd be literally kicked out of the house in the morning and told not to come home until dinner, then kicked out again and told not to come home until the street lights came on. Yet we still managed to watch shit tons of great movies (witness my partial list of classics elsewhere in this thread), and this was in pre cable/streaming/VCR days. You watched movies when they showed on one of the 4 or 5 TV channels they would come on, or on the rare occasion that you'd be taken to the theater, but that would just be for kids movies. :wap:
Lay the wap, wap!
wap

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:36 pm
wap wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:32 pm All this talk about spending your youth "outside" as a reason you never saw movies is :notsure: . When I was young, there was literally NOTHING ELSE to do as a kid (long before any sort of video games either on a TV or handheld) but spend the day outside riding bikes or playing in your or your friends' backyard or street or alley or some such. We'd be literally kicked out of the house in the morning and told not to come home until dinner, then kicked out again and told not to come home until the street lights came on. Yet we still managed to watch shit tons of great movies (witness my partial list of classics elsewhere in this thread), and this was in pre cable/streaming/VCR days. You watched movies when they showed on one of the 4 or 5 TV channels they would come on, or on the rare occasion that you'd be taken to the theater, but that would just be for kids movies. :wap:
Lay the wap, wap!
:lolol: :zing:
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

wap wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:38 pm
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:36 pm

Lay the wap, wap!
These kids ain’t sponge worthy and they have no idea what that means…. :lolol:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I grew up without a color tv and indoor plumbing and I have still seen all the movies in the list. This isn’t an excuse.
wap

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:42 pm
wap wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:38 pm

These kids ain’t sponge worthy and they have no idea what that means…. :lolol:
:iswydt: :lol:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Yeah.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:09 pm
Yeah.
Dirk gets it.

Oh, and our only TV was B&W when I was young, too. And tiny.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Where is the fuckin sci-fi love?

Star Trek 2-10, and the newer reboots.

Star wars, all. even if the sequel trilogy is meh. And Rouge One (3.5) was epic.

Matrix trilogy / quad. I loved #4. Very meta

Stand alone:

Gattaca If you go watch one movie on this list make it this one

Starship troopers

Sunshine
The Martian
Contact
Space Cowboys
Apollo 13 even if it is more just sci and less fi
Moon

Interstellar
Inception
Ready Player One
The Fifth Element
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Minority Report (holds up)
Total Recall
Source code

the butterfly effect (directors cut plz)
StarGate
V for Vendetta (tho im not sure this is strictly speaking sci-fi)
Galaxy Quest
Gamer
Jupiter Ascending
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
wap

Feel dumb for forgetting to recommend this gem:

The Dirty Dozen

Just check out that cast!

Lee Marvin, Telly Savalas, Earnest Borgnine, Charles Bronson, Jim Brown, and freakin' Trini Lopez! :lol:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Aliens
Dune (recent series)
Red October
Interstellar
Top Gun

There’s probably more. Idk. Does Band of Brothers count?