Great places to live in the US

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:39 pm I will say, after visiting some parts of the country.

I can say Frederick/Hagerstown Maryland is nice, Harpers Ferry WV (surrounding areas). It's not exactly far from the dmv when you don't count traffic in the equation, but it did remind me of how northern virginia used to be when I was in my early teenage years. Traffic was not as bad back then.

Also Orlando and St. Petersburg florida is pretty nice that I can see myself living there imo other than probably the hurricane season.

Savannah, GA is nice, but I feel like it gives me a smallish town vibe. Probably a good place to visit for me.

Portland Maine.
Harpers Ferry is something out of a novel! It’s fuckin beautiful. I was passing through on a trip and stopped there. I’ve always planned to go back!

I’m going to Providence RI for a wedding in October, and damn does it look cool as fuck. Will report back to the group
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

+1 on Harpers Ferry
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:46 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:42 pm

Lets not forget crime is more common in the blue areas. To some extent, some are very expensive to live too. Dc crime has certainly gotten out of control and the mayor doesn't do shit.
That’s a false narrative actually. Crime is up all over. The red states tend to have the highest murders per capita in the nation yet they sling the whole petty crime shit over the blue states.
Actually scratch what i said, murder, especially the school shootings. Rape, etc. ive been sucked into the dmv's rabbit hole recently based on how crime is increasing. Those does create a lower quality of life as it is mostly poverty crime
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:21 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:39 pm I will say, after visiting some parts of the country.

I can say Frederick/Hagerstown Maryland is nice, Harpers Ferry WV (surrounding areas). It's not exactly far from the dmv when you don't count traffic in the equation, but it did remind me of how northern virginia used to be when I was in my early teenage years. Traffic was not as bad back then.

Also Orlando and St. Petersburg florida is pretty nice that I can see myself living there imo other than probably the hurricane season.

Savannah, GA is nice, but I feel like it gives me a smallish town vibe. Probably a good place to visit for me.

Portland Maine.
Harpers Ferry is something out of a novel! It’s fuckin beautiful. I was passing through on a trip and stopped there. I’ve always planned to go back!

I’m going to Providence RI for a wedding in October, and damn does it look cool as fuck. Will report back to the group
Im a little curious too.

I live roughly an hour away from there and it is a great day trip, hiked in the mountain across the river. Summers can get really crowded. The surrounding areas are just as great too, bunch of wineries are within 10-15 minutes away. Also not far from Frederick, MD. It pretty much meets VA, WV and MD.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:12 am
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:21 pm

Im a little curious too.

I live roughly an hour away from there and it is a great day trip, hiked in the mountain across the river. Summers can get really crowded. The surrounding areas are just as great too, bunch of wineries are within 10-15 minutes away. Also not far from Frederick, MD. It pretty much meets VA, WV and MD.
Just showed the wife, she’s in for a trip. Kayaking, bike path along the Potomac, and hiking. Sign me the fuck up.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:29 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:12 am

Im a little curious too.

Just showed the wife, she’s in for a trip. Kayaking, bike path along the Potomac, and hiking. Sign me the fuck up.
In the summer, you get to tube on the river, which is awesome! If you want any recommendations for wineries, let me know, we can probably :dock: But I'm going to Turkey from July 20th to August 5th.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:48 pm
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:29 pm

In the summer, you get to tube on the river, which is awesome! If you want any recommendations for wineries, let me know, we can probably :dock: But I'm going to Turkey from July 20th to August 5th.
Dude, I’m down.

Cale and Dan, road trip? DFD takes on Harper’s Ferry?
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Minneapolis would fit the bill aside from the brutal winters and complete lack of daylight in winter. But great food scene, lots of fresh produce and farm to table stuff, great airport connections.

Savannah Georgia was very pretty. Good food and very clean / well kept town. Not sure on quality of schools or proximity to a large airport.

Another great place was Greenville SC. But again the schools would be in question. Super close to the mountains without the Asheville hippie stigma. Great downtown.

I haven’t visited Burlington VT but I have heard very good things.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:20 pm

Dude, I’m down.

I’d be open to it, never been, seems to get rave reviews around here.

On a related note, money no object, DC is a US city I’d love to live in.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:50 pm Minneapolis would fit the bill aside from the brutal winters and complete lack of daylight in winter. But great food scene, lots of fresh produce and farm to table stuff, great airport connections.

Savannah Georgia was very pretty. Good food and very clean / well kept town. Not sure on quality of schools or proximity to a large airport.

Another great place was Greenville SC. But again the schools would be in question. Super close to the mountains without the Asheville hippie stigma. Great downtown.

I haven’t visited Burlington VT but I have heard very good things.
Agreed on all, Greenville is high on the list, particularly when COL is factored in. They have their own airport plus 1.5 hours to c CLT, 2.5 to ATL.

Burlington is really nice but also small and also brutal winters. When going outside is off the agenda for half the year, that’s not to be taken lightly and is an enormous factor IMO. Now, if you’re a skiing enthusiast or something that could also turn the tables.

I generally prefer the northeast vibe to most other parts of the states but just can’t do the weather.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:39 am
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:36 am

It’s a factor for sure. But plenty of red shitholes. Red doesn’t mean it’s a nice place to live
Absolutely, hence why I said to start there. But it does indicate that you are less likely to be interfered with by the government, and that tax burden will be more reasonable.
:lolgasm: , the lower tax burden in republican areas is certainly possible, but the government interference argument is a fucking joke. Both sides just pick and choose the freedoms they feel are critical to take away and act accordingly. Your boys and red are anti freedom in MANY categories:

1. Women having the right to control their own body
2. People having the choice to live without a car
3. The freedom to walk, bike, or use transit in their communities
4. Black people being able to move about freely without getting pulled over or shot
5. The big kicker: THE FREEDOM TO CONTINUE HAVING A DEMOCRACY! ( :thankstrump: )

There is a long laundry list from both parties.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Oh great now this is getting into a political shit show
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:59 am Oh great now this is getting into a political shit show
🤣🤣🤣 :poop: incoming!

To add to the topic at hand, I used to shit on Wilmington NC, but I have some clients that moved there and after growing up and seeing them develop, I quite like it.

Also, was looking at the RDU area and Chapel Hill seems to me like one of the most walkable and bikable areas of our state. It’s more expensive than Charlotte :doe:

Maybe I’m biased to NC, but I just feel likes it’s the perfect combo to raise a family. It’s not HCOL like the other bigger cities and there’s till plenty of green, access to mountains, ocean, and it’s business friendly for the most part. So you can make a living here. NC public universities are also pretty awesome & there are a ton to choose from depending on your major and speciality. In state tuition at UNC is only like still less than $10k. So if you have kids, theres no lack of options.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:02 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:59 am Oh great now this is getting into a political shit show

To add to the topic at hand, I used to shit on Wilmington NC, but I have some clients that moved there and after growing up and seeing them develop, I quite like it.

Also, was looking at the RDU area and Chapel Hill seems to me like one of the most walkable and bikable areas of our state. It’s more expensive than Charlotte :doe:

Maybe I’m biased to NC, but I just feel likes it’s the perfect combo to raise a family. It’s not HCOL like the other bigger cities and there’s till plenty of green, access to mountains, ocean, and it’s business friendly for the most part. So you can make a living here. NC public universities are also pretty awesome & there are a ton to choose from depending on your major and speciality. In state tuition at UNC is only like still less than $10k. So if you have kids, theres no lack of options.
There’s def a lot to like about it. I get the itch to move out some for variety/a new experience but it’s tough to find much as good or better based on what I like personally and the opportunity here. Like you said awesome outdoor activities, pretty mild weather but still get to enjoy seasons, reasonable COL. I feel pretty lucky to have been born here.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I let Brad back in and allow him free speech but occasionally have to flex my privilege when he tries to make nearly every discussion about politics.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:17 pm

There’s def a lot to like about it. I get the itch to move out some for variety/a new experience but it’s tough to find much as good or better based on what I like personally and the opportunity here. Like you said awesome outdoor activities, pretty mild weather but still get to enjoy seasons, reasonable COL. I feel pretty lucky to have been born here.
We’re blessed my friend! I’ve been to just about every major city, and wouldn’t move to any of them over Charlotte. Only thing I get every now and again is that small town sense of community that Charlotte used to have. It’s one of the prices you pay for a growing city. I’ll say our neighborhood does a great job of socializing and looking out for one another. I also wouldn’t live anywhere else in Charlotte because of it.

Side note, starting a coed kickball league this spring in our park if you and Aly are interested. I’m thinking every other Sunday afternoon (especially since football season is over) and the daylight will be lasting until 8 pm soon.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Didn’t get into Boise proper, but my aunt and uncle who live there still love it. It’s grown like crazy since they moved there in the early 80s, but they don’t have any plans on leaving. All four of their kids also decided not to leave the area and all live within 30 minutes of them/the city.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Dude, I’m down.

2 doors only :lolol:
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:30 pm

Dude, I’m down.

No doors only….. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:47 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:30 pm

No doors only….. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
:ayfkm:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:56 pm Didn’t get into Boise proper, but my aunt and uncle who live there still love it. It’s grown like crazy since they moved there in the early 80s, but they don’t have any plans on leaving. All four of their kids also decided not to leave the area and all live within 30 minutes of them/the city.
I liked Boise a lot the couple times I went, Idaho in general was beautiful.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

There should not be any reasonable debate that does not consider North Carolina one of the most desirable locations in the lower 48. Dan you're in utopia with your bikeable walkable thing that is for rich people but you guys live in a good place and the grass is NOT largely greener based on what I have seen.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:56 pm Didn’t get into Boise proper, but my aunt and uncle who live there still love it. It’s grown like crazy since they moved there in the early 80s, but they don’t have any plans on leaving. All four of their kids also decided not to leave the area and all live within 30 minutes of them/the city.
Boise is fan fucking tastic but obvi there is real winter there. I would live there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:40 pm

There should not be any reasonable debate that does not consider North Carolina one of the most desirable locations in the lower 48. Dan you're in utopia with your bikeable walkable thing that is for rich people but you guys live in a good place and the grass is NOT largely greener based on what I have seen.
:notwrong: I just need to be richer to live in a truly walkable hood here :lolol:
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:42 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:40 pm

:notwrong: I just need to be richer to live in a truly walkable hood here :lolol:
Motivation Monday: