Great places to live in the US

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I wanted to start this as a separate thread as this topic seems to come up often.

Here is my contribution to it.

Where?
Maui
Why? Great weather, not as busy as Oahu. Natural beauty that is second to none. Laid back people/laid back lifestyle.
Why not? Way too expensive, taxes are too damn high, too many homeless and druggies once you get off the main path.

Where?
East Bay Area California (Where I currently reside)
Why? One of the worlds best climates. In the proper cities, no crime, no homeless. Amazing amounts of nature to enjoy. In 1 day you can go to the desert/mountain/snow/ocean. No other place on the planet has this IMO. Access to any food on this planet, 3 Major international airports within 1 hr drive, major landmarks within 1 hr drive, multiple of the worlds best schools within 1 hr drive.
Why not? Insane politics, $2M + to live in a nice hood, and you essentially have to live in a nice hood or else you're fk'ed. One of the most expensive places to buy homes in the us+highest taxes. Terrible combo.

Where?
West Palm beach Florida
Why? Nice tropical climate, great places to eat, close to miami and quite a few things to do. Clean and relatively safe.
Why not? Insanely overpriced for what it is, flat florida geography will get old.

Where?
Cork Ireland
Why? Some of the nicest people I have ever met, everywhere. Great food. Beautiful country, decent airport that gets you pretty much anywhere in europe. Reasonable prices on food/lodging.
Why not? Gray weather ... can't really make much money compared to how much it costs to live there. Politics are going in the really wrong direction. Driving on the wrong side of the road...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Cork Ireland is not in the U.S. bro.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'm leaving for New Zealand on Monday for two weeks. I will scout it out for your escape.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

And what are you planning on doing in this new location?

1. Full Cuck not working
2. Starting your own business.
3. Working full time in your current line of work.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:57 pm Cork Ireland is not in the U.S. bro.
I need another coffee.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:02 pm And what are you planning on doing in this new location?

1. Full Cuck not working
2. Starting your own business.
3. Working full time in your current line of work.
1. Less stressful job if any. I just need something minor to get by and hopefully not be a constant office drone. I feel like my entire life has been that and its time for a change.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

West Palm is nowhere near the same league as SF region or Maui.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:01 pm West Palm is nowhere near the same league as SF region or Maui.
I liked it :iono: one of the few areas of Florida that were decent
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I really like Minneapolis. Too cold for me but I enjoyed my time there a lot, and IMO one of the best airports in the country (a Delta hub)
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:49 pm I really like Minneapolis. Too cold for me but I enjoyed my time there a lot, and IMO one of the best airports in the country (a Delta hub)
It’s definitely a cool city but the weather is just a :nope: Cool city is kind of useless if it’s too cold and dark to leave the house for half the year.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:12 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:01 pm West Palm is nowhere near the same league as SF region or Maui.
I liked it :iono: one of the few areas of Florida that were decent
I mean South FL is indeed nice in a lot of ways. While it rains a lot and is humid AF, I mostly like the weather. The water is pretty, the palm trees and tropical vibes are nice. It’s just very flat, full of olds. If you’re going to pay out the ass, coastal CA is better. I lived in Boynton for a couple of months at the end of my SoFL times and man was it an olds haven.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Well, for starters, look at this map, and pick a red area

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:16 am Well, for starters, look at this map, and pick a red area

It’s a factor for sure. But plenty of red shitholes. Red doesn’t mean it’s a nice place to live
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:36 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:16 am Well, for starters, look at this map, and pick a red area

It’s a factor for sure. But plenty of red shitholes. Red doesn’t mean it’s a nice place to live
Absolutely, hence why I said to start there. But it does indicate that you are less likely to be interfered with by the government, and that tax burden will be more reasonable.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This is a fun map re: outlier counties. Like the two blue counties in North Dakota. I would assume that's tribal land but who knows.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Part of me thinks the blue islands is a sea of red are the place to be. The state is more hands-off, but the neighborhoods themselves in the blue counties are more the kinds of places I'd actually like to live.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:21 pm Part of me thinks the blue islands is a sea of red are the place to be. The state is more hands-off, but the neighborhoods themselves in the blue counties are more the kinds of places I'd actually like to live.
The net result of low .gov and people who want to live and let live is libertarian paradise.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:35 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:21 pm Part of me thinks the blue islands is a sea of red are the place to be. The state is more hands-off, but the neighborhoods themselves in the blue counties are more the kinds of places I'd actually like to live.
The net result of low .gov and people who want to live and let live is libertarian paradise.
Yeah I'm just not a country-living kind of person. I like my streetcar suburbs with early 1900s homes, foodie restaurants & chill bars, fun shops, biking paths, and generally walkable things.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Agreed.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

coogles wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:58 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:35 pm

Yeah I'm just not a country-living kind of person. I like my streetcar suburbs with early 1900s homes, foodie restaurants & chill bars, fun shops, biking paths, and generally walkable things.
I love that too brosef! But I also love being in the mountains away from it all. I have no in between honestly. Personally cannot stand suburbia.

Charlotte used to be the beacon for conservative/libertarian city living….alas all the Yankees moved here and we vote for one idiot after another because they have a D next to their name.

To amplify this sentiment above, Patrick Cannon, dem mayor of Charlotte from 2013-2014, arrested by the FBI for corruption charges for fraud, theft, and bribery….went to jail….committed voter fraud….

Then ran for city council in 2022, and got 12% of the democratic vote…….. What the literal fuck….all because he has that D next to his name.

Been thinking of running for city council or mayor a lot lately. Get things straighten out and serve my community before these buffoons do too much damage. I count on my Meck county friends here for their vote!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:57 pm I'm leaving for New Zealand on Monday for two weeks. I will scout it out for your escape.
:neat: please some deets post travel
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I will say, after visiting some parts of the country.

I can say Frederick/Hagerstown Maryland is nice, Harpers Ferry WV (surrounding areas). It's not exactly far from the dmv when you don't count traffic in the equation, but it did remind me of how northern virginia used to be when I was in my early teenage years. Traffic was not as bad back then.

Also Orlando and St. Petersburg florida is pretty nice that I can see myself living there imo other than probably the hurricane season.

Savannah, GA is nice, but I feel like it gives me a smallish town vibe. Probably a good place to visit for me.

Portland Maine.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:39 am
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:36 am

Absolutely, hence why I said to start there. But it does indicate that you are less likely to be interfered with by the government, and that tax burden will be more reasonable.
Lets not forget crime is more common in the blue areas. To some extent, some are very expensive to live too. Dc crime has certainly gotten out of control and the mayor doesn't do shit.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:42 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:39 am

Lets not forget crime is more common in the blue areas. To some extent, some are very expensive to live too. Dc crime has certainly gotten out of control and the mayor doesn't do shit.
That’s a false narrative actually. Crime is up all over. The red states tend to have the highest murders per capita in the nation yet they sling the whole petty crime shit over the blue states.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:46 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:42 pm

That’s a false narrative actually. Crime is up all over. The red states tend to have the highest murders per capita in the nation yet they sling the whole petty crime shit over the blue states.
:thankyou:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.