2024 plac thread !

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:04 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:59 pm

I'll help you find a silver bullet
I kinda think that would be the move as I’d love to keep the 86, such a fun car that is kind of timeless to me. The Bullet would wind up street parked, never washed, and just treated as a beater.
You have a single carport. By definition all your cars are treated as beaters.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:48 am I hope I don’t plac this year but it might happen. With two kids I don’t really know how we can make single car life work out. Especially now that Julian goes to preschool, I essentially no longer have access to a car for work.

No real clue what I’d get either since I am now poor. Only requirements would be good fuel mileage, comfortable, and good rear seat leg room. So like Camry hybrid lol.
How far is your new commute?

Camry would be pretty good. Also I recently got in a new passat as a lyft, it made my accord feel like a bentley, vw has really let themselves go in the passat.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

My Accord Hybrid rental in CA got real world 43 MPG and was a nice place to be. Kind of slow though.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:57 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:48 am I hope I don’t plac this year but it might happen. With two kids I don’t really know how we can make single car life work out. Especially now that Julian goes to preschool, I essentially no longer have access to a car for work.

No real clue what I’d get either since I am now poor. Only requirements would be good fuel mileage, comfortable, and good rear seat leg room. So like Camry hybrid lol.

Camry would be pretty good. Also I recently got in a new passat as a lyft, it made my accord feel like a bentley, vw has really let themselves go in the passat.
The Passat has been a pile of shit since 2010.

I commute by train. Walk to the stations and all. No need for a car. But when the second little comes, things will get complicated quickly. I occasionally need a car for work for offsite meetings or emergent jobs.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:18 pm My Accord Hybrid rental in CA got real world 43 MPG and was a nice place to be. Kind of slow though.
My CRV has the same motor in a heavier package. Super snoozer. Yeah Accord / Camry hybrid would be alright I guess. With screaming toddlers in the back seat “fun to drive” doesn’t really register on the needs list currently. As long as it’s not total seppuku.

Like an i4 would be awesome but I have no money for that. Older 3 series or Alfa Giulia but that requires premium fuel at $1/gal more. And I don’t care enough. I actually love the NFG attitude and soft ride of the CRV it’s just way too slow.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:18 pm My Accord Hybrid rental in CA got real world 43 MPG and was a nice place to be. Kind of slow though.
My CRV has the same motor in a heavier package. Super snoozer. Yeah Accord / Camry hybrid would be alright I guess. With screaming toddlers in the back seat “fun to drive” doesn’t really register on the needs list currently. As long as it’s not total seppuku.

Like an i4 would be awesome but I have no money for that. Older 3 series or Alfa Giulia but that requires premium fuel at $1/gal more. And I don’t care enough. I actually love the NFG attitude and soft ride of the CRV it’s just way too slow.
I4 is too small for kids unfortunately. Especially compared to a CRV. However it will likely depreciate into oblivion in no time
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:42 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:57 pm

The Passat has been a pile of shit since 2010.

I commute by train. Walk to the stations and all. No need for a car. But when the second little comes, things will get complicated quickly. I occasionally need a car for work for offsite meetings or emergent jobs.
They progressively gotten worse, cause Euro spec passats are much better looking in and out in everyway. It kinda reminds me of a Fiat we have in Turkey specifically made for turkish and third world country market, those things are a pile

I rented a 2013 passat in miami and key west back in 2014, it was better but not gti superior interior good, which explains the american car vibe it gave me.

I could care less if its gone cause it's clearly not competitive enough
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:08 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:04 pm

I kinda think that would be the move as I’d love to keep the 86, such a fun car that is kind of timeless to me. The Bullet would wind up street parked, never washed, and just treated as a beater.
It's tough to afford car covering in Charlotte boys! You either have to move out to bfe or just pay more money....
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:39 am
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:08 pm

It's tough to afford car covering in Charlotte boys! You either have to move out to bfe or just pay more money....
We've heard. It's a weird building phenomenon.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

TO THE FK'ING TOP
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:55 am TO THE FK'ING TOP
:pokebeads: :fuckyeah:

I submit the swirl machine :like:
max225

Our 2nd ///M car.... :nice:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:51 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:55 am TO THE FK'ING TOP

In4closeups of swirl.

Honestly the M3/4 verts are quite tempting as they depreciate so much faster than other variants plus top down fun.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:09 pm

In4closeups of swirl.

Honestly the M3/4 verts are quite tempting as they depreciate so much faster than other variants plus top down fun.
It checked a lot of boxes.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

In4closeups of swirl.

swirl party was getting deleted. Clayed the car and did some basic spot waxing on issues. For switls, I tried my hand with a HF shitty soft pad/HF DA orbital. I was out of foam and ordered a decent pack from amazon.

I am scared to use my HF DA on the hood with the lines and elevations/curves. It does well on mostly flat things. The trunk went pretty well with no cut, only polish. Its actaully VERY shiney and hard to get pics of the swirls unless in super bright light. On a cloudy day its mirror.

Weekend photos of clean up here. Im storing it in my uncles new cheapo shop, he pretty much moved to Arkansas and its empty.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FuUyXHD2DibbfGEV7
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:51 pm

In4closeups of swirl.

swirl party was getting deleted. Clayed the car and did some basic spot waxing on issues. For switls, I tried my hand with a HF shitty soft pad/HF DA orbital. I was out of foam and ordered a decent pack from amazon.

I am scared to use my HF DA on the hood with the lines and elevations/curves. It does well on mostly flat things. The trunk went pretty well with no cut, only polish. Its actaully VERY shiney and hard to get pics of the swirls unless in super bright light. On a cloudy day its mirror.

Weekend photos of clean up here. Im storing it in my uncles new cheapo shop, he pretty much moved to Arkansas and its empty.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FuUyXHD2DibbfGEV7
Looks good man!
max225

BTW what black paint is that? Is it BSM? Black Sapphire Metallic ? Or plain back. I am not a huge fan of BSM because both of my bmws that had that paint (2016m3 and 2024, IX) exhibited pretty weak paint characteristics. I.E it was impossible to get hard water spots out even with polishing... and bird droppings would etch it like crazy.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:31 pm BTW what black paint is that? Is it BSM? Black Sapphire Metallic ? Or plain back. I am not a huge fan of BSM because both of my bmws that had that paint (2016m3 and 2024, IX) exhibited pretty weak paint characteristics. I.E it was impossible to get hard water spots out even with polishing... and bird droppings would etch it like crazy.
It's bsm. Ill be ceramic coating soon. My gorf suffered similar issues. The large scratch on driver rear quarter and nicks in bumper are it's flaws and would require paint. The real question is do I worry about paint before coating and yolo, not fix, and coat it and drive it
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:30 pm I'm out for 2024. Someone besides Max and I need to make a bunch of terrible decisions in 2024.
That is likely to be me, but transitioning to a new job first.
max225

Wow we're off to a super slow start!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I may end up on this list. So tired of the old POS.

I drove a Carnival yesterday and honestly liked it quite a bit. It was the LX "with seating package", and for being a total poverty spec it had everything I'd ever need. The only thing it was missing was a power liftgate, which is pretty :wtf: but I'd survive.
max225

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:10 pm I may end up on this list. So tired of the old POS.

I drove a Carnival yesterday and honestly liked it quite a bit. It was the LX "with seating package", and for being a total poverty spec it had everything I'd ever need. The only thing it was missing was a power liftgate, which is pretty :wtf: but I'd survive.
Inetersting what's the MSRP on that? My buddy just put a deposit down on a Sienna yesterday.. he is adamant on ass whistlers though.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:12 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:10 pm I may end up on this list. So tired of the old POS.

Inetersting what's the MSRP on that? My buddy just put a deposit down on a Sienna yesterday.. he is adamant on ass whistlers though.
~$37k or so. The EX trim is the next level up and is $40k, but aside from the wheels looking less shitty the only other thing it comes with that I'd care about is said liftgate.

The Sienna's MPG figures are still basically a mic drop in the segment, but it's a lot more money and still hard to get.
max225

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:43 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:12 pm
~$37k or so. The EX trim is the next level up and is $40k, but aside from the wheels looking less shitty the only other thing it comes with that I'd care about is said liftgate.

The Sienna's MPG figures are still basically a mic drop in the segment, but it's a lot more money and still hard to get.
Yep... "1 year wait" at sticker ... he did the rough math and the extra 10k or so it'll run will pay for itself in gas costs alone out here... over 4-5 years or so given that we're at $5.50 a gallon. But these things are eye wateringly expensive.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I bought another Corvette!

JK I'm cash broke as fuck and gas taxes keep skyrocketing causing inflationary issues and artificially high interest rates. *le-sigh*