Turn Signals Optional: Gberg’s M3

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

This situation sucks. It's no fun asking someone to start over but 3 grand is a lot of money for clear plastic film.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Perfection is in his name after all. You could say he’s relentless.

I think it’s pretty obvious he rushed my car though. If you look through his IG, he’s got a section of his garage further back that’s the “clean” section while my car sat out here by the door. Don’t know how much to make of it but it is what it is. Took screenshots of it back when it was on his instagram.

Desertbreh

So does anyone know how long this PPF lasts when properly applied? 5 years? more?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:36 pm So does anyone know how long this PPF lasts when properly applied? 5 years? more?
New stuff is supposed to be close to 10. Maybe longer if the car is kept out of the elements.
Desertbreh

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:38 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:36 pm So does anyone know how long this PPF lasts when properly applied? 5 years? more?
New stuff is supposed to be close to 10. Maybe longer if the car is kept out of the elements.
Gotcha. Of course it hasn't been around long enough to find out.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:20 pm This situation sucks. It's no fun asking someone to start over but 3 grand is a lot of money for clear plastic film.
It does suck but from his point of view maybe he should've done it right the first time? Don't rush jobs and overbook cars because this is the result.

The fender badges are 3 clips. Pull them to tuck the ppf behind.

Pull the trim along the roof rails so you don't have to redo the entire roof because it's peeling.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:40 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:38 pm

Gotcha. Of course it hasn't been around long enough to find out.
I think I remember seeing a post from detailers domain saying about 7 years. Not sure. Something with the adhesive maybe breaking down.
Desertbreh

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:40 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:20 pm This situation sucks. It's no fun asking someone to start over but 3 grand is a lot of money for clear plastic film.
It does suck but from his point of view maybe he should've done it right the first time? Don't rush jobs and overbook cars because this is the result.

Pull the trim along the roof rails so you don't have to redo the entire roof because it's peeling.
Desertbreh

I totally agree it's just annoying having to be the heavy........accountability is a rare bird.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

It more sucks for you having to have this awkward conversation OVER AND OVER and wasting tons of time going back to his shop. He should’ve done it right from the beginning.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:24 pm

It more sucks for you having to have this awkward conversation OVER AND OVER and wasting tons of time going back to his shop. He should’ve done it right from the beginning.
Well the worst part is he (the detailer or whatever) is starting to assign BLAME on the dude with 1100 miles on his precious M3... like that's a huge red flag already. And I thought he already said that "some dirt is normal and I don't guarantee perfection" or something of the likes when the first specs were brought up.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:24 pm

:dat:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The fender badges seem particularly egregious to me. They're so easy to take off as there's no adhesive to remove or anything. Pros do it no problem. Don't give me bs about them snapping.

Now playing phone tag with a US rep from covrgard.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The rep wants me to give him another shot.

They don't want to break trim which is why the fender badges weren't removed. Because apparently I'd be paying for replacements if they break it? So, taking it to a professional detailer and they don't trust themselves to remove this stuff? :really:

Bubbles are from pressure washer. :rolleyes: . Why does every professional detailer use a pressure washer then?

No such thing as dust free install

Tons of people have problems with ppf installs. Probably, but it can't be that many if you go to a good shop.

Sounds like I'm going to have him redo the fenders while tucking the ppf. Dust specks are along for the ride I guess.
Last edited by Gberg2119 on Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

Wait can you break down who said what etc. it’s very confusing to read because it sounds like you got comments from the film manufacturer, installer and added some of your own. I sort of got lost there
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:01 pm Wait can you break down who said what etc. it’s very confusing to read because it sounds like you got comments from the film manufacturer, installer and added some of your own. I sort of got lost there
Edited. Bolded is from the rep. Regular text are my comments
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:06 pm The rep wants me to give him another shot.

They don't want to break trim which is why the fender badges weren't removed. Because apparently I'd be paying for replacements if they break it? So, taking it to a professional detailer and they don't trust themselves to remove this stuff? :really:

Bubbles are from pressure washer. :rolleyes: . Why does every professional detailer use a pressure washer then?

Tons of people have problems with ppf installs. Probably, but it can't be that many if you go to a good shop.

Sounds like I'm going to have him redo the fenders while tucking the ppf. Dust specks are along for the ride I guess.
Oh wow they are fully backing him on this … :disgust:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:20 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:06 pm The rep wants me to give him another shot.

Unfortunately not unexpected by a newer company.. easier to stiff-arm the consumer than to acknowledge you didn’t fully vet your “licensed installer”.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:26 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:20 pm

Unfortunately not unexpected by a newer company.. easier to stiff-arm the consumer than to acknowledge you didn’t fully vet your “licensed installer”.
:dat:

I think he was actually just another installer up in New Hampshire.

I looked up other videos of the fender badge removal just in case the ind one was fancy editing. Nope, it’s that easy. All you need is a bondo spreader to get them off. Since they’re that easy it just screams lazy to me but :ohwell:

Talked to the detailer of doom afterwards and he’s going to redo my fenders to tuck the ppf, fix the b pillars, and fix the weather stripping on the roof. Either later this week or next. He’s going to get back to me.
max225

Oh wow he is going to be doing a lot of work
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:43 pm Oh wow he is going to be doing a lot of work
If it was done right the first time this wouldn’t be an issue. :mindblown:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Car has been dropped off at the detailer of doom. When I pulled it out of the garage I thought of checking the passenger side too. It’s way worse. In what world is this acceptable? Of course he wasn’t there this morning so I had to show his helper all the stuff that needs fixing.

When I brought up the weather stripping on the roof, he said sometimes cars come like that from the factory. :idbu: And even if it did, you put them back all screwed up?

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Peepin.

golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:31 am Peepin.

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

This guy's work was getting absolutely shredded by the bmw bros. Another ppf installer even chimed in and was all :dafuq:

Picking it up this afternoon. Hopefully he actually fixed it and if I see more shit under the film..... :triggered: