Turn Signals Optional: Gberg’s M3

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:58 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:38 am

Hmm… I’m usually at 70% bass and 80% treble and I leave the mid range alone. My i4 had the “ok” base stereo so I’m not 100% sure what the best settings are on the current HK as my IX has a bit of a different setup.

My main complaint with that one is that there is 0 bass out back… it’s all treble but the front driver/passenger seats vibrate …
Damn. You're cranking up that bass and treble. I just had them at +30%. I'm no audiophile but I know this system doesn't sound great when volume is up.

The genius at my dealer has a youtube video showing the one he made so I'll try that. I really have no idea which bars do what so I'll copy his and adjust from there.
I like bass. I added a 10” kicker hideaway sub to the Tacoma as well and upgraded the speakers to kickers. It sounds in some ways better than my near 6 figure IX. But for a factory system the H/K seems decent
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

So as an 'audio engineer' by education and former trade, I would say that EQs should typically be subtractive and not additive. If you want more low end and high, leave them at 0 and lower the mid range.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:22 pm So as an 'audio engineer' by education and former trade, I would say that EQs should typically be subtractive and not additive. If you want more low end and high, leave them at 0 and lower the mid range.
I think it needs more mids? It seems very flat even with raised bass and treble that seem to bring the curve up by default.

I don't know if your 3 had it, but you can adjust 7 different frequencies on the EQ. That's too much for this :derp:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:22 pm So as an 'audio engineer' by education and former trade, I would say that EQs should typically be subtractive and not additive. If you want more low end and high, leave them at 0 and lower the mid range.
I think it needs more mids? It seems very flat even with raised bass and treble that seem to bring the curve up by default.

I don't know if your 3 had it, but you can adjust 7 different frequencies on the EQ. That's too much for this :derp:
I would suggest flattening all bands (honestly this is usually the best setting) and then going one band at a time. Pick a song you love and know really well/have listened to on many systems. From there, I'd try out boosting one band like 6 db and listening to the song, see if it sounds better or worse to you. Once you've done this with all seven bands, any that you thought made it sound worse, try lowering them by like 3 db and seeing what you think.

My 3 series just had low, mid, high :lolol: it was poverty spec and the stereo, while better than a GR86, was shit. It was def worse than the base :mk6: stereo by a decent margin.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:18 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:50 pm

I would suggest flattening all bands (honestly this is usually the best setting) and then going one band at a time. Pick a song you love and know really well/have listened to on many systems. From there, I'd try out boosting one band like 6 db and listening to the song, see if it sounds better or worse to you. Once you've done this with all seven bands, any that you thought made it sound worse, try lowering them by like 3 db and seeing what you think.

My 3 series just had low, mid, high :lolol: it was poverty spec and the stereo, while better than a GR86, was shit. It was def worse than the base :mk6: stereo by a decent margin.
I sat in it for a good 25 minutes playing around with the EQ to finally get it right. I think it sounds better but in no way is this some crazy knock your socks off sound system.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:20 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:18 pm

I sat in it for a good 25 minutes playing around with the EQ to finally get it right. I think it sounds better but in no way is this some crazy knock your socks off sound system.
:word: the reality is that if it’s incredible, it really shouldn’t need any EQ adjustments. While cars are not great acoustical environments, the stereo is tuned from the factory for the exactly ‘room’ it will be in, so the idea of the consumer then improving it via tuning audio engineers/acousticians did at the OEM is kind of absurd. EQ is just for subjective tastes and a toy to tinker with in cars.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:02 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:20 pm

:word: the reality is that if it’s incredible, it really shouldn’t need any EQ adjustments. While cars are not great acoustical environments, the stereo is tuned from the factory for the exactly ‘room’ it will be in, so the idea of the consumer then improving it via tuning audio engineers/acousticians did at the OEM is kind of absurd. EQ is just for subjective tastes and a toy to tinker with in cars.
It's also got a "surround sound" setting which I left on because I'm assuming they intended for it to be on. It was slightly different with it off but not that big of a difference. I'm also streaming from apple music so the source is lossless and I have the EQ disabled in the app.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Speaking of EQ whenever I get into a rental car and I noticed the music is a little bassy to my liking, Im assuming someone who had it before me trying to be cool and put the bass up high, but when i checked it was all 0
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:14 pm Speaking of EQ whenever I get into a rental car and I noticed the music is a little bassy to my liking, Im assuming someone who had it before me trying to be cool and put the bass up high, but when i checked it was all 0
Depends on the car and options of course. But Nissans in particular are definitely best at 0. If you turn em up past that the speakers fall the eff apart
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:38 pm

It's also got a "surround sound" setting which I left on because I'm assuming they intended for it to be on. It was slightly different with it off but not that big of a difference. I'm also streaming from apple music so the source is lossless and I have the EQ disabled in the app.
The surround sound thing is confusing to me. Basically all music is mixed in stereo so I don’t understand what that’s supposed to do.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Would probably sound better from a CD

:wap:
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:38 pm

My “compressed” YouTube music sounds just fine. I’m pretty anal when it comes to car Audio also, but once you start driving the car there is so much other noise that it will offset most music settings even in super quiet cars like my evs. In a loud M3 … totally different.

I’m assuming your surround is “logic 7” it does sound better with it on as it “lifts” the sound from chest to head level. Is what I noticed.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

It is the Logic 7 system but I ended up settling with this.

I also finally got a chance to really see the laser lights in action and they’re cool as hell. Seeing the high beams light up around the car in front of me is :mindblown:

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:54 pm It is the Logic 7 system but I ended up settling with this.

I also finally got a chance to really see the laser lights in action and they’re cool as hell. Seeing the high beams light up around the car in front of me is :mindblown:

Man, even that graphic of the EQ is confusing to me :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:32 am Would probably sound better from a CD

:wap:
:notwrong:
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:54 pm It is the Logic 7 system but I ended up settling with this.

:mahtroy: that’s exactly my setting
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Logic7 but has a 9 band EQ
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:05 pm Logic7 but has a 9 band EQ
It’s a brand name like “Dolby”
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:21 am

Man, even that graphic of the EQ is confusing to me :lolol:
To be fair I have too scroll over each column and then you'd see the labels. It goes from left to right, 100 Hz, 200 Hz, 500 Hz, 1kHz, 2 kHz, 5 kHz, 10 kHz.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:05 pm Logic7 but has a 9 band EQ
Bass and treble are the first and last but I've never seen them in an EQ like that before. It's 7 bands if you exclude them. :iono:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Just got an email from enterprise saying I have to pay a $200 speeding ticket from back in August when I was driving the poverty Benz.

$175 for the ticket plus a $25 fee. :disgust:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Return the M3 you can't handle German hersprsss
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:18 pm Just got an email from enterprise saying I have to pay a $200 speeding ticket from back in August when I was driving the poverty Benz.

speed cameras are cancer
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:39 pm Return the M3 you can't handle German hersprsss
:notwrong:

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:16 am speed cameras are cancer
They sure are.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:18 pm Just got an email from enterprise saying I have to pay a $200 speeding ticket from back in August when I was driving the poverty Benz.

I mean I got billed by National for an entire poverty Mercedes :lolol: $19k.