max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:21 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:46 pm 1. Fort Collins, CO
2. Durango, CO.
3. Tuscon, AZ
4. Knoxville/Asheville (Shout out to Brad)

Tuscon is too hot for most, but it is quite affordable and its just a nice town. Fort Collins is home to CSU, Tuscon has UA, Knoxville has UT, Durango has Fort Lewis College, a 4 year school.
We were between Ft. Collins and here since I had offices available in both areas. Glad we ended up here, but I’d still consider that area down the road.

It is nice that we are full remote now and can move pretty much anywhere. If shit ever hits the fan we can pack up and haul ass to somewhere else without having to consider job changes, which is a very nice luxury to have.
Your COL is super low :doe: not many places left that are cheaper
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

2. Durango, CO.
3. Tuscon, AZ

Tuscon is too hot for most, but it is quite affordable and its just a nice town. Fort Collins is home to CSU, Tuscon has UA, Knoxville has UT, Durango has Fort Lewis College, a 4 year school.
Check Greenville SC too if you have Knox or Asheville on the list. I've never been but Dan said it's an excellent alternative.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:23 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:21 pm

Hey I'm a geriatric :millennial: and can relate to this other than age and I still don't like Asheville. It's just not great. Multiple freeways run right through the middle of it. Zero views of mountains anywhere in DT Asheville. A beer or coffee is $10 and a meal at a restaurant is $30 without tips/drinks. Traffic/road construction are brutal. It's just a straight :nope: So much goodness within 50 miles in any direction though.

The vitriol for this house is absolutely :amazing:
Asheville's quality of life for the money might be the worst in the state! Every small town around Asheville is significantly more fun and cheaper.
WNC has so much to offer. It's just funny to me that Asheville is talked about Nationwide as this big destination and it is one of the worst towns around. To be fair, it has an airport and a lot more going on than the smaller mountain towns, but still, nah.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:44 pm
2. Durango, CO.
3. Tuscon, AZ

Check Greenville SC too if you have Knox or Asheville on the list. I've never been but Dan said it's an excellent alternative.
Yep, Greenville is fantastic. Chattanooga is pretty dece as well and along similar lines.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:28 pm Here is an unpopular opinion... also DANGER ZONE WILD CARD HOUSE

I used to really like this area... because IMO it has the worlds best weather (About 20F cooler in the summer) on average from where I live, even though it's only 20 min away... Average summer high 79... average winter low 50... you're within 30 degrees YEAR AROUND.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Oakland/6451- ... ome/614379

I present OAKLAND HILLS, California...

There has been 0 appreciation since 2015 or so.... house prices are about 1/2>1/3 of else where in the PAY AREA FOR WHAT YOU GET... the schools are actually GOOD.
The views are great...

But you have to deal with cultural enrichment on the regular. Raiding parties have been going out and burglarizing the residents... on the regular... cops don't pick up the phone (although I hear they actually do for the hills, as they pay 90% of the cities prop taxes).

+ You have higher prop taxes... closer to 2%.

I think it still presents an interesting opportunity... access to Americas highest paid jobs... 3 major airports within 40 min drive... best climate in the world... and you get to experience quite a bit of culture...
That is quite a sweet pad, especially compared to other spots you've linked in the Bay Area for that price range. Maybe I should :doit: I'd love to be in the Bay Area if I could get a job that paid. Probably not leaving NC at this point though, that ship has kinda sailed.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:34 pm

We were between Ft. Collins and here since I had offices available in both areas. Glad we ended up here, but I’d still consider that area down the road.

It is nice that we are full remote now and can move pretty much anywhere. If shit ever hits the fan we can pack up and haul ass to somewhere else without having to consider job changes, which is a very nice luxury to have.
:word: I was thinking more of the crazies from Portland proper push out this far and our little city turns to a similar cesspool. Or if we ever need to relocate to care for her parents or my dad in the event of an emergency, etc..
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:34 pm

:word: I was thinking more if the crazies from Portland proper push out this far and our little city turns to a similar cesspool. Or if we ever need to relocate to care for her parents or my dad in the event of an emergency, etc..
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:49 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:28 pm Here is an unpopular opinion... also DANGER ZONE WILD CARD HOUSE

I used to really like this area... because IMO it has the worlds best weather (About 20F cooler in the summer) on average from where I live, even though it's only 20 min away... Average summer high 79... average winter low 50... you're within 30 degrees YEAR AROUND.

There has been 0 appreciation since 2015 or so.... house prices are about 1/2>1/3 of else where in the PAY AREA FOR WHAT YOU GET... the schools are actually GOOD.
The views are great...

But you have to deal with cultural enrichment on the regular. Raiding parties have been going out and burglarizing the residents... on the regular... cops don't pick up the phone (although I hear they actually do for the hills, as they pay 90% of the cities prop taxes).

I think it still presents an interesting opportunity... access to Americas highest paid jobs... 3 major airports within 40 min drive... best climate in the world... and you get to experience quite a bit of culture...
That is quite a sweet pad, especially compared to other spots you've linked in the Bay Area for that price range. Maybe I should :doit: I'd love to be in the Bay Area if I could get a job that paid. Probably not leaving NC at this point though, that ship has kinda sailed.
If I was single with no kids I would. But no way would I expose my child to the cesspool that can storm your residence with no consequence.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The views are great...

That's also fuckin sick
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:21 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:16 pm

Asheville is a hipster patch in a very red state. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting some twenty something eating avocado toast holding his 4th microbrew and getting ready to hop on his $5K mountain bike. It's a cute town......but yeah not 1 Million Dollar shitbox cute.
Hey I'm a geriatric :millennial: and can relate to this other than age and I still don't like Asheville. It's just not great. Multiple freeways run right through the middle of it. Zero views of mountains anywhere in DT Asheville. A beer or coffee is $10 and a meal at a restaurant is $30 without tips/drinks. Traffic/road construction are brutal. It's just a straight :nope: So much goodness within 50 miles in any direction though.

The vitriol for this house is absolutely :amazing:
:dat:

Everything surrounding it is way nicer / quieter / reasonably priced except for maybe highlands / cashiers. Draw a 1 hour circle around ashville and you can still take advantage of the city on weekends.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.