GR86/BRZ (ZN8/ZD8) Thread - That new hotness

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I noticed the 86 sales are down YoY on Yoda earnings … I don’t think these are as hard to come by as prior
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:17 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:55 pm

:popcorn: last 10th AE went for $35k on there, I’m guessing value is down now, curious to see. $30k ain’t bad… if you must, may as well :doit:
Dang. Only bid to $30,750, although that was from a dealer so I'm sure they'd have listed it for quite a bit more.
:disappoint:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:46 pm I noticed the 86 sales are down YoY on Yoda earnings … I don’t think these are as hard to come by as prior
Yeah I think new at or even below MSRP would be pretty easy now. I love the car, the color, I’m kinda :aintcare: although if mine sold for $31k I’d be losing $1/mile :sad:

Just going to keep driving it.

It does really show that miles are cheap and not driving a car is pointless. This super low mile example didn’t matter.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:12 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:46 pm I noticed the 86 sales are down YoY on Yoda earnings … I don’t think these are as hard to come by as prior
Yeah I think new at or even below MSRP would be pretty easy now. I love the car, the color, I’m kinda :aintcare: although if mine sold for $31k I’d be losing $1/mile :sad:

It does really show that miles are cheap and not driving a car is pointless. This super low mile example didn’t matter.
Was chatting with a buddy today, he’s taking his 2011 Subaru Legacy in for a 60k mile service. Driving less than 5,000 miles a year is :mindblown: to me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:36 pm

Was chatting with a buddy today, he’s taking his 2011 Subaru Legacy in for a 60k mile service. Driving less than 5,000 miles a year is :mindblown: to me.
That is really low. I'm at 6500 and about 1K was driving the car home, so I'm close to him but still 25% higher. I'd estimate I drove 10K miles in rentals last year though :disappoint:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I've put right at 1,000 miles on the 86 in the last 12 months. It's probably also depreciated ~$6k during that span. A cool $6/mile not including interest, insurance, reg, or gas. Neat. :disappoint:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

I think I’m around 2,000 miles in around a year. My daily will be around 18-20k miles a year.

I was talking to my brother in law yesterday. He drives less than 3k miles a year. I couldn’t wrap my brain around it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:59 am I've put right at 1,000 miles on the 86 in the last 12 months. It's probably also depreciated ~$6k during that span. A cool $6/mile not including interest, insurance, reg, or gas. Neat. :disappoint:
Kinda proves what I'm saying :doe: If you'd put 8K miles on it, it would probably be worth the same.

:sad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:07 am I think I’m around 2,000 miles in around a year. My daily will be around 18-20k miles a year.

I was talking to my brother in law yesterday. He drives less than 3k miles a year. I couldn’t wrap my brain around it.
I am a pretty big advocate of non car dependent life and better urban planning. It's tough because most areas that would really allow one to live car free/car light are very expensive. I personally avoid using it when not traveling for work by living in-town, cycling to most errands/work/local meetings when I can, living near rail transit, and working from home. Most of these things really wouldn't be so accessible to someone less privileged/wealthy which is sad.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:29 am
coogles wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:59 am I've put right at 1,000 miles on the 86 in the last 12 months. It's probably also depreciated ~$6k during that span. A cool $6/mile not including interest, insurance, reg, or gas. Neat. :disappoint:
Kinda proves what I'm saying :doe: If you'd put 8K miles on it, it would probably be worth the same.

:sad:
Totally agree. I just haven't had the time or, really, even the desire to drive it more. There are so many other things I'd rather do than take my limited free time and go for a solo drive.
max225

I think the whole mile thing is tricky... At first it doesn't really matter... say 500 miles or 5000 miles the price will be almost the same... but once you start crossing major milestones deprectiation does hit...
10k -10% hit
30k -25% hit
50k 30% hit
100k 60% hit

is how i'd imagine it roughly plays out. There diminishing returns based on time as well... for example a sub 30k mile bmw M3 that's 2+ generations old is at or above MSRP. Where as one with 100k miles is 1/3 of that... it's weird and very car specific.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:58 pm I think the whole mile thing is tricky... At first it doesn't really matter... say 500 miles or 5000 miles the price will be almost the same... but once you start crossing major milestones deprectiation does hit...
10k -10% hit
30k -25% hit
50k 30% hit
100k 60% hit

is how i'd imagine it roughly plays out. There diminishing returns based on time as well... for example a sub 30k mile bmw M3 that's 2+ generations old is at or above MSRP. Where as one with 100k miles is 1/3 of that... it's weird and very car specific.
It's definitely niche cars that hold value better than most. Take my R for instance. Bought in March 2020 for $39k, sold in November 2023 for $36k with 16k miles.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:40 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:58 pm I think the whole mile thing is tricky... At first it doesn't really matter... say 500 miles or 5000 miles the price will be almost the same... but once you start crossing major milestones deprectiation does hit...
10k -10% hit
30k -25% hit
50k 30% hit
100k 60% hit

It's definitely niche cars that hold value better than most. Take my R for instance. Bought in March 2020 for $39k, sold in November 2023 for $36k with 16k miles.
I think you had some great timing on your part as well + super low miles + desirable combo + warranty. It all added up to some buyer.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:31 am
MrH42 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:07 am I think I’m around 2,000 miles in around a year. My daily will be around 18-20k miles a year.

I am a pretty big advocate of non car dependent life and better urban planning. It's tough because most areas that would really allow one to live car free/car light are very expensive. I personally avoid using it when not traveling for work by living in-town, cycling to most errands/work/local meetings when I can, living near rail transit, and working from home. Most of these things really wouldn't be so accessible to someone less privileged/wealthy which is sad.
The car unlocks a huge amount of economic possibility for people. The non-car dependent life is only possible with wealth, and a desire to live like that. It's not realistic to expect most to want the same.
max225

Eh ... this all depends. A vast majority of the country is NOT setup to be car-independent. Hard to make blanket statements on what works best for humanity here.

City life is for some and not for others good and bad attributes for both. Some don't like to hear their neighbors fuck through the walls and have 40 other sad souls stacked above and below you. Others don't care for having tumble weeds drag into their front lawn on the regular. Variety is the spice of life. This country allows you to experience it all. Great thing, but I am not here to advocate to someone on how to move themselves across their lives.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

10k -10% hit
30k -25% hit
50k 30% hit
100k 60% hit

All true but not driving the car for collecting's sake seems pretty pointless.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

We drive about 15K miles/year over three cars + another 1500 on the Quiceanera Party Bus
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:56 pm

We drive about 15K miles/year over three cars + another 1500 on the Quiceanera Party Bus
15k miles a year total makes perfect sense, especially out in the desert.

This is a single, 36-y-o, dude with one car who is actively slaying poon around the greater Seattle area. He must make all the broads come to his place :lolol:
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

I think what Dans trying to say is it’s nice to have options other than getting in a car. I drive all the time for work, and it’s really nice to walk to dinner, take the light rail to the panthers games, and ride my bike to a showing or appointment when I can. I’ve been thinking a lot about this the last three weeks as I’ve been riding a bike more. Charlotte could be really cool, non-car dependent city in the future. Does that mean I want to be like NYC? Fuck no, that would suck, and take away the charm and greenery of Charlotte. But would I like to be able to ride my bike to common market on Monroe without risking my life? Yes! There are pockets of Charlotte that you can live that suburb life (Fort Mill) and still ride your bike (greenway dumps out there) all the to uptown Charlotte. It’s just a matter of making that sacrifice on time. I have a client who purchased in regent park (fort mill sc) last year and he was bitching about his commute to uptown Charlotte. I rode my bike down to his house and rode up with him a few weeks ago into uptown to his office, he now commutes via his bike. He says it takes him on average an extra 10 minutes each way, but is way more enjoyable than sitting in traffic on 77.

I myself like the city life and the conveniences that come along with it (walkabikity, bike ability, transit). It’s just way more enjoyable, and you have way more local acquaintances in a world that feels more and more isolated the greater our technology grows. Conversely, I could live at our Lake Lure cabin in the woods (nothing really close at all and rural). What I cannot stand is what I call the middle. The burbs of hell where the closest grocery, restaurant, store, etc is 10-15 minute car ride away. One of Dan and myself mutual friends lives in a suburb like that. It’s far out with no option but to use a car. His house is closer together with his neighbors than Dan and myself in town. His house is 1 hour + away from anything he does for work in town. Imagine the time this guy spends commuting!! I calculated it for him one day. He is going on 10 years in this house. I estimate he has spent the equivalent of 220 days (2 hours minimum a day) in a car commuting the last decade. If you’re doing the math, that’s 6% of his life the last ten years spent commuting in a car. If that were me, I would have blown my brains out in the side of the highway.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:08 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:56 pm

This is a single, 36-y-o, dude with one car who is actively slaying poon around the greater Seattle area. He must make all the broads come to his place :lolol:
10 year old outbacks will do that in the PNW... paired with a flannel and a hefty stench of IPAs +dog shit to show you're a FURDADDDY... :wub:
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:29 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:08 pm

10 year old outbacks will do that in the PNW... paired with a flannel and a hefty stench of IPAs +dog shit to show you're a FURDADDDY... :wub:
:lolol:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:12 pm Image

I think what Dans trying to say is it’s nice to have options other than getting in a car. I drive all the time for work, and it’s really nice to walk to dinner, take the light rail to the panthers games, and ride my bike to a showing or appointment when I can. I’ve been thinking a lot about this the last three weeks as I’ve been riding a bike more. Charlotte could be really cool, non-car dependent city in the future. Does that mean I want to be like NYC? Fuck no, that would suck, and take away the charm and greenery of Charlotte. But would I like to be able to ride my bike to common market on Monroe without risking my life? Yes! There are pockets of Charlotte that you can live that suburb life (Fort Mill) and still ride your bike (greenway dumps out there) all the to uptown Charlotte. It’s just a matter of making that sacrifice on time. I have a client who purchased in regent park (fort mill sc) last year and he was bitching about his commute to uptown Charlotte. I rode my bike down to his house and rode up with him a few weeks ago into uptown to his office, he now commutes via his bike. He says it takes him on average an extra 10 minutes each way, but is way more enjoyable than sitting in traffic on 77.

I myself like the city life and the conveniences that come along with it (walkabikity, bike ability, transit). It’s just way more enjoyable, and you have way more local acquaintances in a world that feels more and more isolated the greater our technology grows. Conversely, I could live at our Lake Lure cabin in the woods (nothing really close at all and rural). What I cannot stand is what I call the middle. The burbs of hell where the closest grocery, restaurant, store, etc is 10-15 minute car ride away. One of Dan and myself mutual friends lives in a suburb like that. It’s far out with no option but to use a car. His house is closer together with his neighbors than Dan and myself in town. His house is 1 hour + away from anything he does for work in town. Imagine the time this guy spends commuting!! I calculated it for him one day. He is going on 10 years in this house. I estimate he has spent the equivalent of 220 days (2 hours minimum a day) in a car commuting the last decade. If you’re doing the math, that’s 6% of his life the last ten years spent commuting in a car. If that were me, I would have blown my brains out in the side of the highway.
Would love to do a Greenway ride or walk. Or at least the idea sounds nice.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:34 pm
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:12 pm Image

Would love to do a Greenway ride or walk. Or at least the idea sounds nice.
Meet me there this week or weekend. Do you have a bike?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I am too considering taking the metro to work, hell the station is literally less than 10 minutes from my apartment. Bus is a straight shot as my commute to work by car (& bus) is 95% on only one road. It would've been nice if my metro line was also a straight shot too, but the line hits towards more of the east side of the city then heads west, which makes the trip longer than car. Worst case scenario for parking, I can always park at the sister property of my work thats 2 blocks away. Fortunately its only ~12 miles rt. Maybe if I move to Arlington/VA, it may be easier for me to metro.

Biking is a great option too, but I also wear a suit for work so theres that. :lol:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:56 pm

I am too considering taking the metro to work, hell the station is literally less than 10 minutes from my apartment. Bus is a straight shot as my commute to work by car (& bus) is 95% on only one road. It would've been nice if my metro line was also a straight shot too, but the line hits towards more of the east side of the city then heads west, which makes the trip longer than car. Worst case scenario for parking, I can always park at the sister property of my work thats 2 blocks away. Fortunately its only ~12 miles rt. Maybe if I move to Arlington/VA, it may be easier for me to metro.

Biking is a great option too, but I also wear a suit for work so theres that. :lol:
Yeah a suit/bike isn't optimal :lolol: You could get a pannier bag and change at work maybe? When I bike in, I stop at a Planet Fitness about a mile from the office and shower/change, as the route I take is about 12 miles each way. Fortunately my trips to the office are seldom.

I have a train station a mile from the house I can walk to but it is pretty ghetto. One stop up is way better but it's a solid two mile walk so not really the most practical, generally we drive to the stop and hop on the train to go to things in town like sportsball games, concerts, shows, etc.