2023 :plac: thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

MrH42 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:02 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:41 pm

the electric not-a-truck. Godspeed.

I saw a tesla towing this am on the way to work, but i guess we hate elon so whatever
Are you saying the Lightning isn't a truck? But I should get a Tesla instead because you saw one towing something on the way to work?
kinda. one of a trucks core functions is towing long distances, and electric just won't do that well. therefore electric f150 = neutered truck. Rivian has the same issue IMHO.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:54 pm

Are you saying the Lightning isn't a truck? But I should get a Tesla instead because you saw one towing something on the way to work?
kinda. one of a trucks core functions is towing long distances, and electric just won't do that well. therefore electric f150 = neutered truck. Rivian has the same issue IMHO.
Define well? Gas half tons don't have much more than a 200mi range when towing anyways.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

I don’t really have a need to tow at all so it doesn’t matter to me.

It’s probably a pretty narrow range of people who could use a lightning, hence the struggling sales. Fits what I need it for really well.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:20 pm

Define well? Gas half tons don't have much more than a 200mi range when towing anyways.
Yea but a gas / diesel truck takes 15 mins to refill and grab a piss where electric takes 40 mins to an hour to recharge to 80% and the fast charging infrastructure is shit / non-existent. If a fast charger is down and you are using a standard 220 charger you just extended the trip a day effectively.
MrH42 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:06 pm

It’s probably a pretty narrow range of people who could use a lightning, hence the struggling sales. Fits what I need it for really well.
Exactly. But, I'm sure it will be way nicer to bop around in than the Bolt day to day. I just dont get the truck angle..... make it an SUV with more seats, hook up a small trailer for truck shit. But whatever, enjoy.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

That take is so cold all the Coors cans in East Tennessee turned blue.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:56 am That take is so cold all the Coors cans in East Tennessee turned blue.
My take is just in sync with the weather lol. Beer dont need no fridge today
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Lightning prob drives way better than a gas f150.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:43 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:20 pm

Yea but a gas / diesel truck takes 15 mins to refill and grab a piss where electric takes 40 mins to an hour to recharge to 80% and the fast charging infrastructure is shit / non-existent. If a fast charger is down and you are using a standard 220 charger you just extended the trip a day effectively.
MrH42 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:06 pm

Exactly. But, I'm sure it will be way nicer to bop around in than the Bolt day to day. I just dont get the truck angle..... make it an SUV with more seats, hook up a small trailer for truck shit. But whatever, enjoy.
I think this is a silly ass argument. No one who owns an F150 tows shit. The open bed is for HD/Lowes runs, mountain bikes, dogs, etc. for 90% of the owners. I think the Lightning makes relative sense given all that. The big gripe I have is that these cars are disgustingly huge and terrible for infrastructure/communities/the planet/parking/driving... so it's kinda :butwhy: to me but it's what Americans like, so capitalism, baby.
Johnny_P

I mean. Guys. Let him buy what he wants to drive?

I’m interested to hear more about the truck. I’m actually super interested in the Ram with the v6 generator concept. Sounds pretty ideal. But for normal person truck duty I am confident the lightning will be just fine.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:01 pm

I think this is a silly ass argument. No one who owns an F150 tows shit. The open bed is for HD/Lowes runs, mountain bikes, dogs, etc. for 90% of the owners. I think the Lightning makes relative sense given all that. The big gripe I have is that these cars are disgustingly huge and terrible for infrastructure/communities/the planet/parking/driving... so it's kinda :butwhy: to me but it's what Americans like, so capitalism, baby.
Let me elaborate on this and double down. Obviously owning a F150 to tow a trailer long distances (200+ miles) on the regular is less than 1% of what someone actually does with it.
I would say 99% of F150 owners don't go 300 miles TOWING shit on the regular. Frankly that's a commercial existence at that point.
Most people:
1. Take the truck to work
2. Take the truck to do home shit
3. Drive locally/short term weekend trips
I would say 99% of the miles put on any truck are that. When you charge at home it is FAR superior to the crack head gas station experience of inhaling Cancer fumes while someone is asking you for $5 to "fill their tank" because they have encountered hard times for the 9th time that day. You will see exactly 0 public charging stations during 99% of miles put on the truck.. and there are no oil changes, no brake pad changes, no transmission flushes to engine air filters... to spark plugs to give a fuck about for the first 100k miles.

You essentially start of every god damn morning at either 80% or 100% battery which will get you 220-270 miles of REAL WORLD RANGE in the F150. That's 3-4 hrs of non stop driving... if you have the privilege of sleeping at home. IT is far superior to a gas station experience at that point.

Road trips are FINE. If you have 1/2 a brain you know how to plan for this type of shit... the apps tell you exactly which chargers are free/working/available BEFORE you even get there. You don't have to sit for 30-45 min... you can top up 100 miles in 10 miles and get where you need to go. You don't CHARGE A TRUCK how you would USE A GAS STATION. It just doesn't work that way.

Now I will repeat one thing. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AT HOME/WORK CHARGING, there is NO POINT IN OWNING AN EV. It is a hassle, and a waste of time, and lately it is also a WASTE OF MONEY. EV charging rates have tripled...no one is talking about it... but since 2020... it costs almost the same to "fill up" an ev over a car/truck that gets somewhat comparable MPGs.

All the hate I see about EV charging is from people who either tried it once or never tried it at all. And are just regurgitating BULLSHIT they read about online.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

ford has bet a lot of money on this thing so i guess we will see
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:44 pm

You essentially start of every god damn morning at either 80% or 100% battery which will get you 220-270 miles of REAL WORLD RANGE in the F150. That's 3-4 hrs of non stop driving... if you have the privilege of sleeping at home. IT is far superior to a gas station experience at that point.

Road trips are FINE. If you have 1/2 a brain you know how to plan for this type of shit... the apps tell you exactly which chargers are free/working/available BEFORE you even get there. You don't have to sit for 30-45 min... you can top up 100 miles in 10 miles and get where you need to go. You don't CHARGE A TRUCK how you would USE A GAS STATION. It just doesn't work that way.

All the hate I see about EV charging is from people who either tried it once or never tried it at all. And are just regurgitating BULLSHIT they read about online.
Yea sure its just like any other ev till you hook up a trailer, that's my only gripe with the EV "truck" Towing range is dismal, like 140 miles tops with keeping speeds down.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:52 pm

Yea sure its just like any other ev till you hook up a trailer, that's my only gripe with the EV "truck" Towing range is dismal, like 140 miles tops with keeping speeds down.
Truck and towing are not synonymous. Yes trucks CAN tow, but last i checked that's not their only use. And yes a F150 lighting can tow better than a F450 dually for short distances, does that make all gasoline/diesel trucks shit? No.

The scenario for long distance towing is the only one where this thing falls flat. I don't understand why it requires this much discussion and why it makes the entire truck obsolete.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:55 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:52 pm

Truck and towing are not synonymous. Yes trucks CAN tow, but last i checked that's not their only use. And yes a F150 lighting can tow better than a F450 dually for short distances, does that make all gasoline/diesel trucks shit? No.

The scenario for long distance towing is the only one where this thing falls flat. I don't understand why it requires this much discussion and why it makes the entire truck obsolete.
no they are no mutually exclusive, however there is a large subset of truck buyers that own a truck to tow shit on the weekends, and this wont work well for them.
Johnny_P

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:02 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:55 pm

no they are no mutually exclusive, however there is a large subset of truck buyers that own a truck to tow shit on the weekends, and this wont work well for them.
Depends on what they are towing and where they are going. Towing a small bass boat to the lake? Not a problem if it’s not too far away. Towing an airstream across Utah? That’s a problem but this truck isn’t aimed at those buyers. Fraud has plenty of gas options for that use.

Normal use case for a standard issue F150 for residential purposes is the same as a car. Just in a larger wrapper that can haul plywood from HD for the 2x a year that is necessary. Or the yearly mulch run.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Let me elaborate on this and double down. Obviously owning a F150 to tow a trailer long distances (200+ miles) on the regular is less than 1% of what someone actually does with it.
I would say 99% of F150 owners don't go 300 miles TOWING shit on the regular. Frankly that's a commercial existence at that point.
Most people:
1. Take the truck to work
2. Take the truck to do home shit
3. Drive locally/short term weekend trips
I would say 99% of the miles put on any truck are that. When you charge at home it is FAR superior to the crack head gas station experience of inhaling Cancer fumes while someone is asking you for $5 to "fill their tank" because they have encountered hard times for the 9th time that day. You will see exactly 0 public charging stations during 99% of miles put on the truck.. and there are no oil changes, no brake pad changes, no transmission flushes to engine air filters... to spark plugs to give a fuck about for the first 100k miles.

Now I will repeat one thing. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AT HOME/WORK CHARGING, there is NO POINT IN OWNING AN EV. It is a hassle, and a waste of time, and lately it is also a WASTE OF MONEY. EV charging rates have tripled...no one is talking about it... but since 2020... it costs almost the same to "fill up" an ev over a car/truck that gets somewhat comparable MPGs.

Yep, I agree 100%. The fact that I think full sizers are dumb isn't really related, I was just sliding it in. I'd consider a Lightning over a gas one if I needed a truck to haul shit. HD/Lowes rentals for $24 are serving me fine though.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Ford rescinded the cash incentive a month early, but it seems my dealer locked it in when I put a deposit down.

Looking at the deals of what people are posting on Reddit and the Lightning forums, I might have the best pricing out there. One other guy was kind of close, but that’s it. And ford just announced they’re scaling back production for next year quite a bit. This could go as the best Lightning deal of all time.

Truck is built, just waiting for it to ship via a truck carrier. Dillerman is confident I’ll get it before end of year, which needs to happen for tax reasons.

This dealership might be the best I’ve worked with ever? Did not expect that from Ford
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

I've used my friend's Lightning to tow the 944 about an hour's drive away and it did it starting with 80% charge on the battery. And we certainly weren't rolling in the slow lane with the hazards on.

The problem is that the internet is full of people who have convinced themselves that they haul more cargo with their F-150 than a freight company.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:09 pm I've used my friend's Lightning to tow the 944 about an hour's drive away and it did it starting with 80% charge on the battery. And we certainly weren't rolling in the slow lane with the hazards on.

The problem is that the internet is full of people who have convinced themselves that they haul more cargo with their F-150 than a freight company.
Theyre probably the same people who would cry on facebook vw forums crying for a golf tdi towing a motorcycle or atv and a couple people in the comments go like "YoU nEeD a TrUcK".

Yet europeans have no problem trailing campers on their 1.6 TDi Golf's
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

About 10 :plac: so far, knock on wood. Close to an average of once a month.

Also what happened to the m3
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:09 pm I've used my friend's Lightning to tow the 944 about an hour's drive away and it did it starting with 80% charge on the battery. And we certainly weren't rolling in the slow lane with the hazards on.

:dat:

This is a perfect truck for what 90% of full size owners actually do (well almost perfect, still probably larger than necessary).

I'm legit :excited: to hear about the ownershit experience.

Honestly not surprised that the Ford :dillerman: is solid, I went to a lot of them when I was operating the F550 for work and generally had no issues other than the fact that the vehicle itself was a POS. I also shopped Fiesta STs before buying the BMW and they were very upfront about everything. Should've probably bought that but :ohwell:
Huckleberry

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:32 pm

Theyre probably the same people who would cry on facebook vw forums crying for a golf tdi towing a motorcycle or atv and a couple people in the comments go like "YoU nEeD a TrUcK".

Yeah, just about every vehicle has a towing rating from the factory.

Having a truck is nice. I haven't had one in a number of years, but I never really did much towing with mine. Honestly, the thing I miss about it the most is the open bed, which I have with the El Camino, and I've used the Elco to pick up lumber, doors, and other hardware store items. I think that speaks more to the need for utes over massive trucks with 10,000,000,000 lb towing capacities. I'm kind of hoping the demand for the Maverick gets VW to consider producing that Tarok concept they unveiled a number of years ago.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:22 am

Having a truck is nice. I haven't had one in a number of years, but I never really did much towing with mine. Honestly, the thing I miss about it the most is the open bed, which I have with the El Camino, and I've used the Elco to pick up lumber, doors, and other hardware store items. I think that speaks more to the need for utes over massive trucks with 10,000,000,000 lb towing capacities. I'm kind of hoping the demand for the Maverick gets VW to consider producing that Tarok concept they unveiled a number of years ago.
Pics of the el Camino please!!! My dad used to have one
Huckleberry

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:58 am

Pics of the el Camino please!!! My dad used to have one

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Owning a house now I can definitely see the use for a bed, although renting trucks from Lowes/HD is pretty much fine. I can walk to HD, grab a truck, do what I need to do, walk home, costs $25 and takes maybe an extra 30 minutes versus owning the truck myself. Some people do a lot more projects though, I probably have the need maybe quarterly on average.

I wouldn't mind a FWD Maverick Hybrid as a daily but just have no real need to justify so much more cash outlay on cars.