SawceHaus

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1318 ... 9627_zpid/

Loved the inside of the house as much as we do the exterior, and walking the lot it is a little bigger than we initially thought; we’ll have to get creative with what we do to the yard to maximize space, but have a few ideas already.

Our realtor was very impressed by the build quality from what she could see. A few minor items that we’ll mark for fixing before we buy, but nothing crazy. House has been sitting since March so it’s settled a bit and there are a few nail pops and things like that to just be touched up. Reason for sitting is just how this was priced when it was released and interest rates had just started climbing back into the 4’s.

Lender drafted our pre-approval letter last night to submit with our offer. Agent is working on our offer letter today. There is one other party that toured it over the weekend, and based on what our agent learned from talking to the listing agent, we don’t think we’ll get any closing credits from the builder, so we aren’t going to ask for that and risk losing it if the other people make an offer without asking for that. We are asking for a fridge to be included, and the listing agent said that the builder would let us use his pricing to buy a washer and dryer and AC unit and he’ll install that stuff.

Re: yard… we think it’d make the most sense to extend the deck out back the full length of the house, then use the side yards that aren’t as sloped for space to lay some grass down. We’ll probably need a retaining wall on each side to help level things off. We get some of the shape above the retaining wall in the back yard, so we’ll probably do some citrus trees or something up there to help create some privacy.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Brandon,

I love the house! It looks like a very green area and that will bode well for your health and the health of your family. Good luck with the purchase and many years of problem free living. New homes are a breeze in most cases, and I too enjoy not having to worry about upkeep for many years with the cottage rental, which is a 2017 build.

Does it have a basement?

The only detractor I see is the grading, but I'm not sure it matters if you don't have a basement. I have learned over the course of three house flips to seek homes on the top of a hill where water can grade away from the foundations.
SAWCE

Tar wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:03 am Brandon,

I love the house! It looks like a very green area and that will bode well for your health and the health of your family. Good luck with the purchase and many years of problem free living. New homes are a breeze in most cases, and I too enjoy not having to worry about upkeep for many years with the cottage rental, which is a 2017 build.

Does it have a basement?

The only detractor I see is the grading, but I'm not sure it matters if you don't have a basement. I have learned over the course of three house flips to seek homes on the top of a hill where water can grade away from the foundations.
Thanks Mario!

The garage is the basement I suppose. We did express concern about the slope, but our realtor told us it’s not something we should have to worry about as new build codes out here are pretty strict and it should have all of the proper drainage in place. There is a larger crawl space behind the garage under the rest of the house, so I’ll be able to get under there and check for standing water periodically to make sure that nothing is pooling up.

We actually looked at the house behind this one that is up higher on the hill. We loved that kitchen and living area, but the bedrooms in the basement were tiny to make way for a living/lounge area down there and the master bedroom was right off the living room upstairs and with an attached bathroom that we didn’t like as much as the one in the place we’re going for.
SAWCE

Offer submitted. Agents talked this morning and builder is giving us a fridge, and then we’re using his pricing for a washer/dryer and AC unit and he’ll install them all.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:33 pm Offer submitted. Agents talked this morning and builder is giving us a fridge, and then we’re using his pricing for a washer/dryer and AC unit and he’ll install them all.
Good luck mang!
:excited: :popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:12 am
Tar wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:03 am Brandon,

Does it have a basement?

Thanks Mario!

The garage is the basement I suppose. We did express concern about the slope, but our realtor told us it’s not something we should have to worry about as new build codes out here are pretty strict and it should have all of the proper drainage in place. There is a larger crawl space behind the garage under the rest of the house, so I’ll be able to get under there and check for standing water periodically to make sure that nothing is pooling up.

We actually looked at the house behind this one that is up higher on the hill. We loved that kitchen and living area, but the bedrooms in the basement were tiny to make way for a living/lounge area down there and the master bedroom was right off the living room upstairs and with an attached bathroom that we didn’t like as much as the one in the place we’re going for.
Big bedrooms are pretty important!

Sounds like you should be okay as it stands, the house is basically perched above the ground so water won't be an issue. I dunno, water is a nightmare. My prediction is that some of those retaining walls will end up being a headache in a few years.

Good luck though, it's a very fulfilling time in life and I think you and Michelle will really enjoy it!
SAWCE

Thanks homies.

Offer was accepted and we’re scheduled to close 2/8. Wild how fast this is happening.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:25 pm Thanks homies.

Offer was accepted and we’re scheduled to close 2/8. Wild how fast this is happening.
:fuckyeah: congrats dood!

Now the fun starts :yikes:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

SAWCE wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:46 am https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1318 ... 9627_zpid/

Loved the inside of the house as much as we do the exterior, and walking the lot it is a little bigger than we initially thought; we’ll have to get creative with what we do to the yard to maximize space, but have a few ideas already.

Our realtor was very impressed by the build quality from what she could see. A few minor items that we’ll mark for fixing before we buy, but nothing crazy. House has been sitting since March so it’s settled a bit and there are a few nail pops and things like that to just be touched up. Reason for sitting is just how this was priced when it was released and interest rates had just started climbing back into the 4’s.

Lender drafted our pre-approval letter last night to submit with our offer. Agent is working on our offer letter today. There is one other party that toured it over the weekend, and based on what our agent learned from talking to the listing agent, we don’t think we’ll get any closing credits from the builder, so we aren’t going to ask for that and risk losing it if the other people make an offer without asking for that. We are asking for a fridge to be included, and the listing agent said that the builder would let us use his pricing to buy a washer and dryer and AC unit and he’ll install that stuff.

Re: yard… we think it’d make the most sense to extend the deck out back the full length of the house, then use the side yards that aren’t as sloped for space to lay some grass down. We’ll probably need a retaining wall on each side to help level things off. We get some of the shape above the retaining wall in the back yard, so we’ll probably do some citrus trees or something up there to help create some privacy.
shows pending did you get it?
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

eidt: I see i should have finished reading. Congrats.

Ok, your realter is not always looking out for you, so here is some more advice.

1. get an inspection. I know its a new build, blah blah, blah.... pay the 500 or whatever and GET AN INSPECTION. And especially on a new build HOLD THEIR FEET TO THE FIRE AND MAKE THEM FIX EVERTYTHING DO NOT waive the inspection period.

2. even if you are pre approved with a lender and stuff shop the rates this week. see if you can get a better deal.

3. I know your offer is already written, but I hope you had a clause in there for if the appraisal comes back lower than agreed sale price that the price goes down. This over-asking-cover-the-difference shit is OVER esp on a property that has been sitting for nearly a year on the market. If you did not then anything you find in number 1. is a reason to back out of the deal.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:16 am eidt: I see i should have finished reading. Congrats.

Ok, your realter is not always looking out for you, so here is some more advice.

1. get an inspection. I know its a new build, blah blah, blah.... pay the 500 or whatever and GET AN INSPECTION. And especially on a new build HOLD THEIR FEET TO THE FIRE AND MAKE THEM FIX EVERTYTHING DO NOT waive the inspection period.

2. even if you are pre approved with a lender and stuff shop the rates this week. see if you can get a better deal.

3. I know your offer is already written, but I hope you had a clause in there for if the appraisal comes back lower than agreed sale price that the price goes down. This over-asking-cover-the-difference shit is OVER esp on a property that has been sitting for nearly a year on the market. If you did not then anything you find in number 1. is a reason to back out of the deal.
Thanks dude!

1. Inspections will absolutely be happening. We’ll get that scheduled this week.

2. Already got calls from a few lenders after doing this pre-approval so I’ll reach out and have them run numbers for me. Thanks for the tip.

3. Yep, our realtor wrote that clause into the contract, so we’re covered just in case.
SAWCE

Earnest money sent to escrow. Inspections scheduled for Friday. We opted to add a radon test since homes up here test high more frequently than in other areas, and for a sewage scope as well to make sure there’s no debris from construction.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Good times! Congrats and welcome to the club. Hope things go smoothly for you and the misses.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:37 pm Earnest money sent to escrow. Inspections scheduled for Friday. We opted to add a radon test since homes up here test high more frequently than in other areas, and for a sewage scope as well to make sure there’s no debris from construction.
All falling into place! :like:
SAWCE

Plugging right along. Homeowners insurance selected and sent to the lender this morning, I was reading about earthquake frequency up here and we opted for an earthquake policy as well.. probably wasting $300/year, but that's fairly inexpensive for the peace of mind. The home insurance comes with a nice bundled price on auto insurance, which takes an additional discount now that we're home owners, so that policy is less than half of what we were paying :nice:

All bank statements sent to lender for review along with all disclosures having been signed and returned. Man I forgot how much random shit goes into buying a home.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:48 pm Plugging right along. Homeowners insurance selected and sent to the lender this morning, I was reading about earthquake frequency up here and we opted for an earthquake policy as well.. probably wasting $300/year, but that's fairly inexpensive for the peace of mind. The home insurance comes with a nice bundled price on auto insurance, which takes an additional discount now that we're home owners, so that policy is less than half of what we were paying :nice:

All bank statements sent to lender for review along with all disclosures having been signed and returned. Man I forgot how much random shit goes into buying a home.
breh thats like flood on the coast, thats literally cheap insurance.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:55 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:48 pm Plugging right along. Homeowners insurance selected and sent to the lender this morning, I was reading about earthquake frequency up here and we opted for an earthquake policy as well.. probably wasting $300/year, but that's fairly inexpensive for the peace of mind. The home insurance comes with a nice bundled price on auto insurance, which takes an additional discount now that we're home owners, so that policy is less than half of what we were paying :nice:

:dat:

We're up to $3300/yr for home insurance here on a $350k place, with no flood insurance. :wasteful:
SAWCE

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:05 pm

We're up to $3300/yr for home insurance here on a $350k place, with no flood insurance. :wasteful:
That's what we figured. $300/yr is piss in a bucket. We're going for the lower 10% deductible too vs 15% for like $240/yr.

Damn Val that's wild. Is that because of location and the hurricanes that FL gets? Our quote is $790/yr for this place.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

It's a combo of storms and shitty state laws allowing people to sue the hell out of insurance companies and win for the most dubious of claims, making the cost of doing insurance business crazy. Most companies have stopped bothering to operate here anymore, it's one thing that I didn't know about until after moving.
SAWCE

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:24 pm It's a combo of storms and shitty state laws allowing people to sue the hell out of insurance companies and win for the most dubious of claims, making the cost of doing insurance business crazy. Most companies have stopped bothering to operate here anymore, it's one thing that I didn't know about until after moving.
Woof. That's some BS right there.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:05 pm

thats wild. i think ours is like right under 2k a year but thats for almost 5k sf of finished space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

We pay WAY MORE than that for earthquake ins., but we live on the San Andreas fault and the house is paid for, so not really one of those things you are ever going to say :butwhy: about. Other than living there in the first place.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:24 pm It's a combo of storms and shitty state laws allowing people to sue the hell out of insurance companies and win for the most dubious of claims, making the cost of doing insurance business crazy. Most companies have stopped bothering to operate here anymore, it's one thing that I didn't know about until after moving.
I would look at it as insuring yourself against wanting to commit seppuku in Corning New York.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:14 pm

We pay WAY MORE than that for earthquake ins., but we live on the San Andreas fault and the house is paid for, so not really one of those things you are ever going to say :butwhy: about. Other than living there in the first place.
:word:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:58 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:14 pm

:word:
Are you covered for flood damage with the base coverage? Will they fix your retaining walls and fence if any shit goes down?

When do you guys move in?