Smol Truck Lyfe: Homeless Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:26 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:16 am
Yea, there's nothing really "small" about the Maverick, other than the fact that every other truck got MASSIVE and the Maverick is small compared to those.

I'm glad they're popular so maybe other manufacturers will take notice and build some competition one day. GM killed long bed midsizers, but maybe someone else will carry the torch...
A month ago, I helped my friend install a new storm door on his parents' house. We used my '81 El Camino to pick the door up from Lowe's. The door fit comfortably in the bed between the wheel wells.
I took an old closet door (the size of a storm door, just a bit shorter) to the dump this weekend, it fit in the S10 bed perfectly between the wheel wells and with the tailgate closed. I then piled a bunch of scrap wood on top so when I got to the dump, I could just pull the door out and all the stuff on it came with it. Worked perfect, and far more useful than a tiny bed.

The wants for an El Camino are still real.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:13 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:02 am
Sure, if I wanted to light money on fire fast.

There's probably a market of like 5 people for S10 sized trucks. Everyone just wants a worse SUV with a worthless bed that makes them look like they drive a truck.
Ranger/S10 restoration business
:lolol: If demand ever actually built up for them, could be fun. They're pretty simple machines.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:12 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:26 am

A month ago, I helped my friend install a new storm door on his parents' house. We used my '81 El Camino to pick the door up from Lowe's. The door fit comfortably in the bed between the wheel wells.
I took an old closet door (the size of a storm door, just a bit shorter) to the dump this weekend, it fit in the S10 bed perfectly between the wheel wells and with the tailgate closed. I then piled a bunch of scrap wood on top so when I got to the dump, I could just pull the door out and all the stuff on it came with it. Worked perfect, and far more useful than a tiny bed.

I lucked out with my Elco because the previous owner did a body-colored bed liner. So, I have no qualms with putting stuff in the bed. It is nice having a toy car that still has some utility.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:12 pm

I lucked out with my Elco because the previous owner did a body-colored bed liner. So, I have no qualms with putting stuff in the bed. It is nice having a toy car that still has some utility.
That's what appeals to me about El Caminos, and I love the idea of a body colored bed liner. The S10 has a plastic drop-in liner, and I did peek underneath to make sure it wasn't hiding moisture/rust. Those tend to be very durable, so I'll probably leave it.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:10 pm
wap wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:46 am The El Camino form factor is great. Drives (pretty much) like a car with the utility of a real pick up. It's like a station wagon with an open cargo area.
I was looking for El Caminos, but right now they seem to be in demand. I couldn't find one worth buying for under $10k, then the S10 popped up for $6k and I went for that because of how clean it is.

An El Camino is pretty ideal for what I want, maybe prices will get closer to reality at some point.
In4ElCaminoBuildThread
:popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apparently you're a #influencer because I find myself wanting to buy this piece of shit: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993- ... pickup-23/
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:21 am Apparently you're a #influencer because I find myself wanting to buy this piece of shit: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993- ... pickup-23/
:burneverything: :burneverything: :burneverything:
:burneverything: :doit: :burneverything:
:burneverything: :burneverything: :burneverything:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:10 pm
I was looking for El Caminos, but right now they seem to be in demand. I couldn't find one worth buying for under $10k, then the S10 popped up for $6k and I went for that because of how clean it is.

An El Camino is pretty ideal for what I want, maybe prices will get closer to reality at some point.
In4ElCaminoBuildThread
:popcorn:
:lolol: S10 will be around for a while...
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:21 am Apparently you're a #influencer because I find myself wanting to buy this piece of shit: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993- ... pickup-23/
MOAR SMOL TRUKS!!!!

But seriously, demand is nuts for these old Toyota trucks. I bet this POS will push $20k, and will be dangerously slow and still deal with 30 year old vehicle problems. I set out to buy one of these, but the market is just :fullretard:

The secret spot in the market for small trucks right now are S10's and Sonomas. They're just not worth much in any condition, because everyone wants Japenese trucks or Rangers for some reason. Parts are stupid easy to get, they're easy to work on, and still just as simple as a Toyota or Ferd. Plus, GM made a bunch of different styles (ZR2, SS/XTreme) and quite a few :manuel: s They're also easy to :ellis: swap with a ton of aftermarket support (it's a consideration for me)

An SS reg cab step side :manuel: would be cool AF IMO.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:50 am
MOAR SMOL TRUKS!!!!

But seriously, demand is nuts for these old Toyota trucks. I bet this POS will push $20k, and will be dangerously slow and still deal with 30 year old vehicle problems. I set out to buy one of these, but the market is just :fullretard:

The secret spot in the market for small trucks right now are S10's and Sonomas. They're just not worth much in any condition, because everyone wants Japenese trucks or Rangers for some reason. Parts are stupid easy to get, they're easy to work on, and still just as simple as a Toyota or Ferd. Plus, GM made a bunch of different styles (ZR2, SS/XTreme) and quite a few :manuel: s They're also easy to :ellis: swap with a ton of aftermarket support (it's a consideration for me)

Yeah if that thing actually went for $8300 it seems kind of OK for only 20K miles (although I think more than original MSRP :lolol: ). $20K is a no.

I would probably S-10 as well, kind of same and easier to get a more powerful motor with :manuel: without stratospheric prices. For now I think I'm just focused on the BRZ and may address something else down the line if needed. I really don't require a truck at all, just think it would be fun/nice to have one kicking around.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:55 am
MOAR SMOL TRUKS!!!!

Yeah if that thing actually went for $8300 it seems kind of OK for only 20K miles (although I think more than original MSRP :lolol: ). $20K is a no.

I would probably S-10 as well, kind of same and easier to get a more powerful motor with :manuel: without stratospheric prices. For now I think I'm just focused on the BRZ and may address something else down the line if needed. I really don't require a truck at all, just think it would be fun/nice to have one kicking around.
$20k might be high with only 3 hours left on the auction, but I'll be shocked if it goes for less than $12-$15k. People are just :triggered: for these sorts of trucks, especially low mileage and Toyota.

To me the issue is, you're paying a premium for something because it's low mileage and pristine, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a beater truck. I want something that's higher mileage but well maintained (so it's proven) and a bit dinged up so I can hall stuff around without a ton of concern. What's the point of a flawless homeless truck? It won't be fun to drive, it'll get good(ish) gas mileage, but it won't even be able to haul much more than some wood.
ChrisoftheNorth

Scored a great deal on a nice replacement steering wheel on eBay for $50. Also found a center armrest for the same. Interior is coming together. :excited:

I've got a few areas of surface rust on the lower front fender and lower rear bed that I want to sand, prime, and paint. The paint overall is honestly :notbad: and I think most flaws could be addressed with Dr. Colorchip (if I even want to bother). But the areas on the bottom need to be masked and sprayed (rattle can is fine).

I've used Paintscratch.com in the past for such things, anyone know if that's still a pretty good source for paint or should I try somewhere else? I know it won't match perfect, but it doesn't really matter because it's the very bottom of the fender that you can't really see unless you kneel down and stare at it.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Solid Score!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:50 pm Scored a great deal on a nice replacement steering wheel on eBay for $50. Also found a center armrest for the same. Interior is coming together. :excited:

I've got a few areas of surface rust on the lower front fender and lower rear bed that I want to sand, prime, and paint. The paint overall is honestly :notbad: and I think most flaws could be addressed with Dr. Colorchip (if I even want to bother). But the areas on the bottom need to be masked and sprayed (rattle can is fine).

I've used Paintscratch.com in the past for such things, anyone know if that's still a pretty good source for paint or should I try somewhere else? I know it won't match perfect, but it doesn't really matter because it's the very bottom of the fender that you can't really see unless you kneel down and stare at it.
I got some three stage rattle can stuff for the under rockers on my C5 that were all fucked up from high centering everywhere.... truth be told it was nice paint but really didn't match, that shit has to be blended and it's a craft that someone like me or any person who isn't a pro just doesn't have. So :iono: anything is probably fine that's reputable. It's close enough for areas that aren't really visible.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:50 pm Scored a great deal on a nice replacement steering wheel on eBay for $50. Also found a center armrest for the same. Interior is coming together. :excited:

I got some three stage rattle can stuff for the under rockers on my C5 that were all fucked up from high centering everywhere.... truth be told it was nice paint but really didn't match, that shit has to be blended and it's a craft that someone like me or any person who isn't a pro just doesn't have. So :iono: anything is probably fine that's reputable. It's close enough for areas that aren't really visible.
This is the feedback I was looking for. Excellent. The color is so common that I can go pick up a rattle can of Duplicolor "match" from autozone. Then just primer, base, and clear. I know it won't match perfectly, but it's a small area that's mostly unnoticeable. Biggest thing is preventing the rust from going deeper than the surface. I'll document on here when I get to it.

Interior updates first. I also sprung for a rebuilt Delco radio with bluetooth built in. $150, but it'll look factory, which I drastically prefer to the stupid aftermarket things.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:10 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:46 pm

This is the feedback I was looking for. Excellent. The color is so common that I can go pick up a rattle can of Duplicolor "match" from autozone. Then just primer, base, and clear. I know it won't match perfectly, but it's a small area that's mostly unnoticeable. Biggest thing is preventing the rust from going deeper than the surface. I'll document on here when I get to it.

Interior updates first. I also sprung for a rebuilt Delco radio with bluetooth built in. $150, but it'll look factory, which I drastically prefer to the stupid aftermarket things.
Oh that's :notbad: at all. :iono: IMO I don't need all of the CarPlay and other :bs: tech. BT is legit awesome to have and the rest I can take or leave. I have the QuadLock system for phone mounting for my bike shit and I just got a car mount with wireless charging so I can see maps on that and audio comes through my stereo as the PoorMW has no tech/NAV/etc.

:ohwell: BT works well and the fucktory look is :nice:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:10 pm

Oh that's :notbad: at all. :iono: IMO I don't need all of the CarPlay and other :bs: tech. BT is legit awesome to have and the rest I can take or leave. I have the QuadLock system for phone mounting for my bike shit and I just got a car mount with wireless charging so I can see maps on that and audio comes through my stereo as the PoorMW has no tech/NAV/etc.

I just want to connect my phone to the speakers. That's it, and that's all I need. I don't need some fancy double din screen shit, just a way to play my phone over the speakers, I use a suction cup for my phone on the windshield that works 5/7.

The dude I bought the truck from left a ln FM Bluetooth unit in there and it worked but sounded terrible. I really want to maintain the stock look, so a stock radio modified with Bluetooth is perfect.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

MOAR SMOL TRUKS!!!!

Xtreme, which reminds me. In fifth grade, my gym teacher used to drive one of those (Blazer), with a manual and I recall a nice sounding exhaust. When we would go out for recess towards the end of the school day, I see him leave and we would just hear that everytime.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:07 pm

I just want to connect my phone to the speakers. That's it, and that's all I need. I don't need some fancy double din screen shit, just a way to play my phone over the speakers, I use a suction cup for my phone on the windshield that works 5/7.

The dude I bought the truck from left a ln FM Bluetooth unit in there and it worked but sounded terrible. I really want to maintain the stock look, so a stock radio modified with Bluetooth is perfect.
Do they offer this for the C5/gmt800 Delco unit? I have a fm one hard wired to the Corvette but I hate it as well.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

:mahman: that’s what I did on the Benz
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat: is all that really matters IMO. 5/7. Fuck the FM units if you can get hard wired BT for $150.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:16 pm
MOAR SMOL TRUKS!!!!

Xtreme, which reminds me. In fifth grade, my gym teacher used to drive one of those (Blazer), with a manual and I recall a nice sounding exhaust. When we would go out for recess towards the end of the school day, I see him leave and we would just hear that everytime.
I think that SS is different that the xTreme but pretty similar. I believe SS was more of a performance upgrade versus looks but :iono:

Funny thing is either one if the most gym teacher car of cars I can imagine :lolol:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

saw this at the pint, figured y'all would like

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:18 am saw this at the pint, figured y'all would like

Tight
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

golftdibrad1 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:18 am saw this at the pint, figured y'all would like

$15k truck there. :megusta: