Wrenching Required: Project Car Finds

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:19 am https://centralmich.craigslist.org/cto/ ... 95758.html

Trying to get the old man to bite on this. Big block 67 Camaro, 4 speed, Ridetech suspension with rack and pinion steering. :notbad:
HELL YES.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:19 am https://centralmich.craigslist.org/cto/ ... 95758.html

Trying to get the old man to bite on this. Big block 67 Camaro, 4 speed, Ridetech suspension with rack and pinion steering. :notbad:
HELL YES.
Old man doesn't like that either. I think this thing would be an epic beast.

Apparently he had lunch with an old friend who has a mothballed 1964 Vette that hasn't been on the road in 30 years. He's going to help get that running again.

How many damned mothballed Vettes are out there? :mindblown:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:03 pm

HELL YES.

Apparently he had lunch with an old friend who has a mothballed 1964 Vette that hasn't been on the road in 30 years. He's going to help get that running again.

:sad:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

HELL YES.

:wtf: who are these people that just have dead cars lying around. I never understood that mentality.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

I don't know what is going on. I keep trying to post and get internal errors.

If you go to Chicago, you'll be single when you return. And then you are single with an El Camino.
Huckleberry

HELL YES.

Quite a few, I imagine. Most old guys brush the mothballs out every Saturday to putter on over to the local cars and coffee, and then load the mothballs back in for another week.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:39 pm I don't know what is going on. I keep trying to post and get internal errors.

If you go to Chicago, you'll be single when you return. And then you are single with an El Camino.
Man... this guy has all of the good ideas up his sleeve.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:37 pm

:wtf: who are these people that just have dead cars lying around. I never understood that mentality.
:dat:

This is also why I do not share Desert Man's view on more than one car per person. It's a rabbit trail that leads to this. Who even has room for busted up shit on their property?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:49 pm

This is also why I do not share Desert Man's view on more than one car per person. It's a rabbit trail that leads to this. Who even has room for busted up shit on their property?
I have a total of five covered garage spaces in two locations. Zero busted up shit.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

HELL YES.

Oooh!! A C2? :boner:
Best looking Vette, IMO
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:39 pm I don't know what is going on. I keep trying to post and get internal errors.

:lolgasm: :notwrong:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:08 pm

Best looking Vette, IMO
Yea, it's wild. I just talked to him, and he said the guy has been wanting to get it running again but just didn't know where to start. Old man's going to help him get it running, and I joked that he could just become an expert getting old Corvettes back on the road and specialize in that.

It might be unique to Michigan, but Corvettes have been like Lambos here in terms of status and desirability. So many people bought them and stashed them away early on in hopes they'd be worth something someday. Now those dudes are too old, and the cars have sat too long, and they're stuck.
Huckleberry

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:49 pm

My uncle has a 1941 Pontiac that has been rotting away in his yard for longer than I have been alive.

Sorry, it was originally rotting away in my grandparents' carport. That's where I first became aware of the car. When they died, he literally pushed it next door to his house, where it sat for another five years until he sold that place. Then he had it towed to his new house, and that's where it has been parked ever since. He keeps asking me about restoring it one day, but he could literally buy one in decent shape for $15k and be well ahead of the game.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:11 pm
Best looking Vette, IMO
Yea, it's wild. I just talked to him, and he said the guy has been wanting to get it running again but just didn't know where to start. Old man's going to help him get it running, and I joked that he could just become an expert getting old Corvettes back on the road and specialize in that.

It might be unique to Michigan, but Corvettes have been like Lambos here in terms of status and desirability. So many people bought them and stashed them away early on in hopes they'd be worth something someday. Now those dudes are too old, and the cars have sat too long, and they're stuck.
The thing is that C2s ARE worth something. Too bad the guy didn't buy a split window '63.

Is it a fuelie engine? Those are worth big money now since everyone was throwing them out for regular carbs.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Best looking Vette, IMO

I’d argue that makes corvettes more like civics though. They have been attainable by the “average man” for a long time. Not a bad thing at all really and the fact that there are so many in great shape or easily restorable shape makes them a great entry point into classic cardom
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:17 pm

The thing is that C2s ARE worth something. Too bad the guy didn't buy a split window '63.

Is it a fuelie engine? Those are worth big money now since everyone was throwing them out for regular carbs.
Indeed, it is worth something! Which is why the guy wants to get it back on the road, but he's overwhelmed and doesn't know where to begin.

Not sure if it's a fuelie or not. I doubt it, doesn't sound like it's really anything special.
Huckleberry

I'm also assuming that this thread indicates that your dad's friend's ZL1 isn't going to happen?
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:55 pm I'm also assuming that this thread indicates that your dad's friend's ZL1 isn't going to happen?
He's "thinking about it".

The ride in the C3 went well, apparently the guy cried and was overcome with emotion. That got him thinking a bit about the ZL1, so it might happen, but probably not soon.

With the C3 project winding up faster than expected, I need to get the old man involved with something else to occupy his mind. He ordered a full retrosound audio system for the C3, so that'll keep him busy, but after that, the car will be 100%.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:17 pm

I’d argue that makes corvettes more like civics though. They have been attainable by the “average man” for a long time. Not a bad thing at all really and the fact that there are so many in great shape or easily restorable shape makes them a great entry point into classic cardom

And the :neat: thing for the second/third/fourth owners is that because they aren't terribly expensive or rare, you can actually drive the damn things NFG.