Wrenching Required: Project Car Finds

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Talking to my old man, he's really enjoyed having a project car to focus on. He's retired, not much really going on, needs something to occupy his mind. The C3 ended up being a great success for his own enjoyment, and he and I have been talking about the idea of him buying project cars, getting them together and getting them running, and selling them to move onto the next one. He has more money than he knows what to do with, so cost isn't really a huge concern, neither is resale, but it would be nice to find something that he didn't completely lose his ass on. This is more about a good hobby for him to focus on than anything else.

He's all about the idea, but has no idea how to find project cars. I told him that I knew a group of people that could probably find some neat stuff (DFD) and that I'd put the call out.

So post up project cars. His IDEAL are abandoned projects that are mostly done but just need to be put back together and finished. He's not interested in body work or paint, but the mechanical stuff gets him going. No engine, no problem! Even an older thing that's all there but just needs to get on the road again (like the C3). He's really open to anything, but being an OLD, he prefers muscle cars. His "dream" is a 1969 Shelby Mustang convertible (just for looks, he'd love to build a "tribute"), but we've talked about everything from 70's Firebirds to Studebakers, nothing is off the table, though I doubt he'd be into anything non-Murican.

Post up them projects. Location in the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland area would be ideal, but he and I would travel just about anywhere to drag back the right project. Should be a fun thread too...he'll buy something tomorrow if it strikes his fancy.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

How does he feel about a Cuda ? not sure what they go for but a 440 cuda is fking Sexy AF
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:01 pm How does he feel about a Cuda ? not sure what they go for but a 440 cuda is fking Sexy AF
Yep, totally open to Mopars... Challenger, Cuda, etc. Just needs to be the right project
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

In terms of finding project cars, the best thing to do is browse Search Tempest and Facebook Marketplace and see what pops up. If you narrow your search to a specific model, then you can join FB groups and forums dedicated to those models and you may find something that is outside of the general listings.

Is he interested in restomods at all, or does he want to just keep everything as original as possible?
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:59 am In terms of finding project cars, the best thing to do is browse Search Tempest and Facebook Marketplace and see what pops up. If you narrow your search to a specific model, then you can join FB groups and forums dedicated to those models and you may find something that is outside of the general listings.

Is he interested in restomods at all, or does he want to just keep everything as original as possible?
Fucking FBM, I was afraid of that. He gets in trouble on Facebook, I've been trying to keep him off, and I don't use it at all. Hmm

He's open to anything, but not really looking to do heavy fab work or body work.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:52 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:59 am In terms of finding project cars, the best thing to do is browse Search Tempest and Facebook Marketplace and see what pops up. If you narrow your search to a specific model, then you can join FB groups and forums dedicated to those models and you may find something that is outside of the general listings.

Fucking FBM, I was afraid of that. He gets in trouble on Facebook, I've been trying to keep him off, and I don't use it at all. Hmm

He's open to anything, but not really looking to do heavy fab work or body work.
Yeah, I don't like FBM, either. Unfortunately, it is where everyone has moved to. Stuff still shows up on Craigslist, like this guy selling two Opel GTs for $800: https://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/d/w ... 16052.html

But the majority of stuff is going to show up on FBM. You can have him use Search Tempest, which will do a larger search radius on Craigslist ads. That will keep him off the book of faces.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:56 am

Yeah, I don't like FBM, either. Unfortunately, it is where everyone has moved to. Stuff still shows up on Craigslist, like this guy selling two Opel GTs for $800: https://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/d/w ... 16052.html

But the majority of stuff is going to show up on FBM. You can have him use Search Tempest, which will do a larger search radius on Craigslist ads. That will keep him off the book of faces.
Interesting, I haven't played around with search tempest much, will check it out.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:02 am

Interesting, I haven't played around with search tempest much, will check it out.
Those Opels were :neat: . A buddy of mine had a Manta Rallye back in high school, the one with the black painted hood. Fun little car. Looked just like this:

Funny that he doesn't mention that Citroen in the background.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:35 am
Those Opels were :neat: . A buddy of mine had a Manta Rallye back in high school, the one with the black painted hood. Fun little car. Looked just like this:

Cool AF car IMO.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:38 am

Cool AF car IMO.
It was really fun, small, good handling, manual everything. I imagine it was Opel's answer to the Euro Ford Capri, or maybe vice versa. :iono:
My buddy ruined his when he tried doing a burnout in reverse. A glowing spark shot out of the shift boot about 2ft straight up into the cabin and burned out before landing on my leg (I was in the front passenger seat). He had the trans rebuilt at some shitty transmission shop but the car was never the same.
#stupidteenagedecisions
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

A Citroen DS in the background too!

Funny he says the floor is rotted out in one. My drunk uncle had a GT when I was a kid that he daily drove (kind of, he was a :truckyeah: driver by trade). The couple of times I rode in the GT I thought it was cool as hell because you could look down and see the road going by through the floor :lolol:

I have always liked them though, they're like a mini C3 Corvette.
Huckleberry

wap

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:58 pm Look at this beaut: https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 03561.html
:fuckyeah: :lolol:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

He is apparently holding on to that cream puff.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:58 pm Look at this beaut: https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 03561.html
I think the pieces of Max's recession bridge car puzzle have just fallen into place.
Last edited by Desertbreh on Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

:impressive:
ChrisoftheNorth

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 081253490/

THIS Is the sort of project he'd be interested in. Hell, I'M interested in this one...

@Huck
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:26 pm
I think the pieces of Max's recession bridge car puzzle have just fallen into place.
:fuckyeah: that thing rules. Too bad it needs a tow.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:32 pm https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 081253490/

THIS Is the sort of project he'd be interested in. Hell, I'M interested in this one...

@Huck
:nice:
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:32 pm https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 081253490/

@Huck
That could be a good starting point. I would try to get the price down, though. As a point of reference, and this was in 2016, I paid $2k for my 81 Elco without an engine, but the interior was complete and the body is presentable enough with a few dings here and there. I would have to look over the paint job very well and make sure that they didn't just mask a bunch of bullshit with body filler. However, with the interior apart, it makes checking things easier.

I will say that the front bumper is not an 81, and I think the headlight bezels are from the earlier cars, too. The one thing I found out is that 81 is a bit of a bastard year for the G-Body as there are a lot of things that are specific to the 81, like the windshield wiper switch and bumpers. 81 was also the first year for the CCC (computer-controlled carb). I definitely think that car is worth a look, especially since you were talking about wanting an El Camino, and I could definitely give you information on everything I learned along the way with mine, as well as tips on how to make it perform better. Personally, I would tell him to keep the 305 and source my own drivetrain.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:13 am

@Huck
That could be a good starting point. I would try to get the price down, though. As a point of reference, and this was in 2016, I paid $2k for my 81 Elco without an engine, but the interior was complete and the body is presentable enough with a few dings here and there. I would have to look over the paint job very well and make sure that they didn't just mask a bunch of bullshit with body filler. However, with the interior apart, it makes checking things easier.

I will say that the front bumper is not an 81, and I think the headlight bezels are from the earlier cars, too. The one thing I found out is that 81 is a bit of a bastard year for the G-Body as there are a lot of things that are specific to the 81, like the windshield wiper switch and bumpers. 81 was also the first year for the CCC (computer-controlled carb). I definitely think that car is worth a look, especially since you were talking about wanting an El Camino, and I could definitely give you information on everything I learned along the way with mine, as well as tips on how to make it perform better. Personally, I would tell him to keep the 305 and source my own drivetrain.
My old man has zero interest, so it would be on me. Wife would kill me, so it's a non-starter unfortunately.

BUT, I'd like an El Camino as a "fun" car utility thing. There's been times where a truck bed would really come in handy, and those times and El Camino would work great. My thought would be to source a junkyard 5.3 and trans from a 2WD fullsizer or something for drivability and reliability. Decent wheels, solid brakes/suspension, and just drive and enjoy.
ChrisoftheNorth

https://centralmich.craigslist.org/cto/ ... 95758.html

Trying to get the old man to bite on this. Big block 67 Camaro, 4 speed, Ridetech suspension with rack and pinion steering. :notbad:
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:19 am
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:13 am

My old man has zero interest, so it would be on me. Wife would kill me, so it's a non-starter unfortunately.

BUT, I'd like an El Camino as a "fun" car utility thing. There's been times where a truck bed would really come in handy, and those times and El Camino would work great. My thought would be to source a junkyard 5.3 and trans from a 2WD fullsizer or something for drivability and reliability. Decent wheels, solid brakes/suspension, and just drive and enjoy.
The Elco's bed has a lot of utility. I actually used the car to pick up a storm door that a friend bought at Lowe's. It fit between the wheel arches and laid just outside of the closed tailgate. All in all, it is a great cruiser that can handle some homeowner duties. Plus, people are always complimenting the car as I'm loading up the bed. Too bad that your dad isn't interested at all.

I was going to recommend finding a wrecked 2010+ Silverado and using the 5.3/6 speed out of it. It would make for a great, reliable cruiser. I considered doing the same with mine, but I do enjoy having three different generations of small block in my garage: Elco is SBC, 944 is LT1, and GTO is LS.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:19 am

The Elco's bed has a lot of utility. I actually used the car to pick up a storm door that a friend bought at Lowe's. It fit between the wheel arches and laid just outside of the closed tailgate. All in all, it is a great cruiser that can handle some homeowner duties. Plus, people are always complimenting the car as I'm loading up the bed. Too bad that your dad isn't interested at all.

I was going to recommend finding a wrecked 2010+ Silverado and u[b]sing the 5.3/6 speed out of it[/b]. It would make for a great, reliable cruiser. I considered doing the same with mine, but I do enjoy having three different generations of small block in my garage: Elco is SBC, 944 is LT1, and GTO is LS.
Exactly my thought. If I was single, I'd be heading to Chicago right now.

:ohwell:
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:55 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:40 pm

I was going to recommend finding a wrecked 2010+ Silverado and u[b]sing the 5.3/6 speed out of it[/b]. It would make for a great, reliable cruiser. I considered doing the same with mine, but I do enjoy having three different generations of small block in my garage: Elco is SBC, 944 is LT1, and GTO is LS.
Exactly my thought. If I was single, I'd be heading to Chicago right now.

:ohwell: