Cars you wanted, but never purchased

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Max you cucked yourself out of a Subaru Impreza? :impressive:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:37 am Oh, and I've been close to buying a MINI countless times now, and always end up bailing at the last minute for something else. I do hope to pull the trigger on one once prices get more reasonable. I've always wanted one, never had one.
This has happened to me 3 times as well. Actually put money down on one. Negotiated a great price on another. I think I came to the same conclusion and realized I didn’t want it and was somehow talking myself into it. Which is what happened with the GTI unfortunately.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

A white wrx hatch, blue brz/frs or a nismo 370z, but ended up in the GTI instead for multiple reasons.

Also wanted to buy a white TRD 4Runner back in 15’ but the dealer wouldn’t work with me on price and I ended up buying the RAV4 from a different dealer the following week.

In high school, I wanted a Civic Si or an Eclipse GSX, but couldn’t find a good example that hadn’t been beat to death in my area. I go back and forth with wanting an STI now or even an older EvoX, to be able to have a fun can to take the kiddos in, but can’t justify the cost.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

wap wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:30 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:14 pm My friend in VA has that exact 2018 SE I believe. I know it's green but not 100% if it's plaid or leather
So :jelly: if it's :plaid:
Boom.

https://www.kenganleynissan.com/invento ... m_deeplink
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:35 am

Boom.

:ohdang: :(
If it wasn't for :tits: , I'd SERIOUSLY consider trading the Blue Meanie in for this. Looks clean AF, only 18k miles, and they did a nice job with the pics. KBB puts my car at around $28k and I was willing to spend around $2-$3k to upgrade my HU to exactly this unit. It would have basically been a wash. Only about 5 hours from my :haus: , too.

Someone is gonna get a :nice: car in a :unicorn: color and configuration.

Nice find. If it was DSG I'd be having a serious convo with :tits: .
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:24 pm Max you cucked yourself out of a Subaru Impreza? :impressive:
The cucking never stops with me
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:35 am

Boom.

5 year old gti at sticker … where the fuck do I sign
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:00 pm
If it wasn't for :tits: , I'd SERIOUSLY consider trading the Blue Meanie in for this. Looks clean AF, only 18k miles, and they did a nice job with the pics. KBB puts my car at around $28k and I was willing to spend around $2-$3k to upgrade my HU to exactly this unit. It would have basically been a wash. Only about 5 hours from my :haus: , too.

Hell, I find it tempting too. $31k seems crazy until you consider my Carvana offer right now is $24k, so just over a $7k difference. It has 40k fewer miles than mine, updated front end, has the sunroof, nicer HU, and a real color, I don't think $7k to make that switch is unreasonable. The GR86 needs to get here ASAP so I stop thinking stupid thoughts.
wap

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:04 pm
5 year old gti at sticker … where the fuck do I sign
It's the world we live in. Low miles at least. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Oh wow. The wants are REAL. This is extremely tempting...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:06 pm

Hell, I find it tempting too. $31k seems crazy until you consider my Carvana offer right now is $24k, so just over a $7k difference. It has 40k fewer miles than mine, updated front end, has the sunroof, nicer HU, and a real color, I don't think $7k to make that switch is unreasonable. The GR86 needs to get here ASAP so I stop thinking stupid thoughts.
Totally.
Super low miles for being 4 years old, 2 years left of B2B warranty, even the :225: 's look decent.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:06 pm

RIGHT??
:doit: I'd love for this thing to be in the DFD family.
wap

I still can't believe that I can't get my HU upgraded to this one, the SE one. I'm willing to throw a fair amount of cash at it but :nope: . :|
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:06 pm
RIGHT??
:doit: I'd love for this thing to be in the DFD family.
I still have no need for a 2nd vehicle, and the price isn't really that appealing as Max pointed out. The car itself is fantastic though, no question.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

My friend bought his 2018 Great Falls Green SE for like $26k before taxes and reg. These cars were discounted thousands when new.
wap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:59 am My friend bought his 2018 Great Falls Green SE for like $26k before taxes and reg. These cars were discounted thousands when new.
Yeah. Blue Meanie was 1 year old (it's a 2019 and I bought it in 2020) with almost 13k miles and I got it for $23k out the door. Different world.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

I had really wanted a Chevy SS once they offered the manual option. It was still out of my price range, but then GM came out with the 20% sale and the SS wasn't excluded. There was a Regal Peacock Green nearby, and just as I called the dealer about it, the stop-sale happened. That took a month or two to be lifted, and the car was immediately sold, as well as every other manual SS in the country. The following year, the sale happened again, but this time, the manual cars sold even faster. It was something like 48 hours and every manual SS was sold in the country.

Shortly after buying my GTI, the guy I had bought the 944 from had a 2015 purple SS that he was going to sell for a nice price. Of course, I had just bought the GTI, so I passed. And now, the SS sells for what their MSRP was. It is what it is. Ultimately, the GTI has served me better with superior fuel economy and I know I'd have reservations driving the SS in the winter months. Especially one sporting a rare, one-year color.

I've also always wanted a C6 Z06, but that would require getting rid of a vehicle to make room, and I don't want one enough to do that.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:27 pm I had really wanted a Chevy SS once they offered the manual option. It was still out of my price range, but then GM came out with the 20% sale and the SS wasn't excluded. There was a Regal Peacock Green nearby, and just as I called the dealer about it, the stop-sale happened. That took a month or two to be lifted, and the car was immediately sold, as well as every other manual SS in the country. The following year, the sale happened again, but this time, the manual cars sold even faster. It was something like 48 hours and every manual SS was sold in the country.

Shortly after buying my GTI, the guy I had bought the 944 from had a 2015 purple SS that he was going to sell for a nice price. Of course, I had just bought the GTI, so I passed. And now, the SS sells for what their MSRP was. It is what it is. Ultimately, the GTI has served me better with superior fuel economy and I know I'd have reservations driving the SS in the winter months. Especially one sporting a rare, one-year color.

I've also always wanted a C6 Z06, but that would require getting rid of a vehicle to make room, and I don't want one enough to do that.
Ah yes, the 20% off SS opportunity. I was at GM at the time, and could have gotten 20% ON TOP OF employee pricing. There was a Purple :manuel: at a dealer nearby that I got a quote for like $41k OTD, and at the time it was just more than I wanted to spend on a vehicle. Would have been a great buy in hindsight, I just never really WANTED an SS for some reason.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:11 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:27 pm I had really wanted a Chevy SS once they offered the manual option. It was still out of my price range, but then GM came out with the 20% sale and the SS wasn't excluded. There was a Regal Peacock Green nearby, and just as I called the dealer about it, the stop-sale happened. That took a month or two to be lifted, and the car was immediately sold, as well as every other manual SS in the country. The following year, the sale happened again, but this time, the manual cars sold even faster. It was something like 48 hours and every manual SS was sold in the country.

Ah yes, the 20% off SS opportunity. I was at GM at the time, and could have gotten 20% ON TOP OF employee pricing. There was a Purple :manuel: at a dealer nearby that I got a quote for like $41k OTD, and at the time it was just more than I wanted to spend on a vehicle. Would have been a great buy in hindsight, I just never really WANTED an SS for some reason.
Yeah, it certainly made them more attainable.

Ultimately, the GTI is almost paid off, which would not have been the case for an SS, and I'm looking forward to not having a car note and just banking that money each month. Hopefully, by the time the 6 year warranty runs out, I'll be able to put a nice chunk down on a replacement vehicle. I would like for it to be a GR Corolla, but who knows what 2025 will bring?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:50 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:11 pm
Yeah, it certainly made them more attainable.

Ultimately, the GTI is almost paid off, which would not have been the case for an SS, and I'm looking forward to not having a car note and just banking that money each month. Hopefully, by the time the 6 year warranty runs out, I'll be able to put a nice chunk down on a replacement vehicle. I would like for it to be a GR Corolla, but who knows what 2025 will bring?
Also, not like you are sitting around in VW TSI Cucktown. You have the big dick GTO and the HuckleRUF Maroonbird coming soon.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

In the early 90's I test drove the first generation Mitsu Eclipse. These seem lame-o now :facepalm: but they were one of the affordable few sporty cars available then. My 24 yo self thought they were pretty damn sharp especially since Where I lived (in NE NJ) They were advertising $179/month, no money down leases. But alas, at the time I did not qualify.

In the mid 90's when my (then) wife-to-be was having service on her Saturn SC2.

I test drove the first Z28 to have the LT1 engine.

I talked the guy into letting me test drive it without a credit check (at the time I doubt a new car Chevy Dealer would have done so) It was the most powerful thing I had ever driven. The salesman went white as I had the thing sideways when I lit them up right out of the parking lot. The want was real. But as we were getting married the following year, it just wasn't practical. I ended up with an Eagle Vision instead. :baby: :dissappoint:

In the mid 2000's, I test drove A Chrysler Crossfire. It drove like a dream, being 40% Mercedes. But again, the timing wasn't right for a non practical car as we were raising 3 crotchfruit by then.

:datass: Dat Ass doe....
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

I've always wanted an angular 80s styled car. C4 Corvette, IROC-Z, AW11 MR2, Fiat X1/9, Lancia Scorpion, 924/944, Fox body hatch, etc.

Also have wanted a Lotus Elise since 2005, and the similar era (F10?) BMW M5/M6 for the V10 noises.

Highly doubt I'll ever have any of the above unless a radical lifestyle change happens. Cars are useless in the city.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Elise, and well all the other cars. I like cars, want them all.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:27 pm Elise, and well all the other cars. I like cars, want them all.
:lolol: dis

If I had to narrow it down, though, this is my bucket list, in order of attainability:

04-05 Rio Yellow AP2 S2000
GT350 (black with matte black stripes and red pin-striping)
718 Boxster Spyder, with the Deman stroker and shorter gears

Having owned those three I could die a happy car guy.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I looked at a Pheonix Yellow Integra Type R in 2011. It was $13K, not rough but definitely far from a museum piece, like 120K miles with wear and tear. At the time, I was like, that's way too much for an old Honda that's kind of beat up. I also looked at a mint 2001 Prelude at the same time, $6500. Offered $5500 and the dude told me to pound sand so I walked. I bought a damn :mk6: instead :disgust:

Meeting y'all has been the saving grace of the GTI but I lost my ass on that thing and could've made like $20K on the ITR even if I'd just dailied it for the next half decade.