How Many Brubs Does a BrubTub Brub if the BrubTub Can't Brub Brubs

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Looks good. A colleague of mine bought one of these years ago. I always thought it looked really good despite the engine being a pile.

Not a bad way to cruise around for the summer.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

South Dakota DMV to the rescue!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:11 pm
My old man thinks the sound could be improved, but whatever...he's not adding "anything but miles". He intends to use it as his main transport for the summer for fun. :notbad:

I drive like an old man now, so I'll probably find the thing adequate. I'm very curious. It looks the part, which is the entire point of the thing, but I personally struggle with a slow Corvette. There's a lot of compromises in that tiny badass looking shitbox, and if speed doesn't matter, I'd probably pick something a bit bigger and more of a cruiser. :iono: Fortunately, it's not my car unless the old man wants to off it.
In high school my buddy had an 82 Camaro Z28 with a four speed manual and 145 screaming hp out of its 305. It was piece of shit but V8 + :manuel: always has merit. Gonna be a bit tough coming off that big cam Ellis :doe:
The big cam :ellis: was too much in hindsight. That car was sketchy fast, and there's really nowhere to enjoy that at all. The C3 will probably be fine as a cruiser like max said. I just wouldn't buy a Corvette as a cruiser, especially not a tiny C3. Old man seems to really be into it right now, so I bet he'll have it for a few years at least.

I'm still thinking about an older truck or el Camino for myself.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:28 pm Looks good. A colleague of mine bought one of these years ago. I always thought it looked really good despite the engine being a pile.

Not a bad way to cruise around for the summer.
Of the rubber bumper C3s, I think 80+ look the best. It really is a sharp looking car.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:46 am
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:28 pm

In high school my buddy had an 82 Camaro Z28 with a four speed manual and 145 screaming hp out of its 305. It was piece of shit but V8 + :manuel: always has merit. Gonna be a bit tough coming off that big cam Ellis :doe:
The big cam :ellis: was too much in hindsight. That car was sketchy fast, and there's really nowhere to enjoy that at all. The C3 will probably be fine as a cruiser like max said. I just wouldn't buy a Corvette as a cruiser, especially not a tiny C3. Old man seems to really be into it right now, so I bet he'll have it for a few years at least.

G-Body Elcos are cheap and great cruisers.

ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:06 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:46 am

They used to be cheap....

Still something I'll keep an eye out for
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:46 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:06 am

They used to be cheap....

Still something I'll keep an eye out for
You just need to find one with a blown/missing engine, and wait until the economy crashes. Then they will be cheap again.

I only paid $2k for that one, and did nothing to the body/paint, but that was back in 2016.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Solid updates, glad to hear he got it running with relative ease! Car looks great.
ChrisoftheNorth

Got to my old man's house last night for work meetings in Detroit this week, and he asked me if I wanted to take the noBrubsTub for a cruise up Woodward. :fuckyeah:

The thing is amazing in the sense that it's so old but feels new. Old man has done a great job detailing the engine and interior, but man does it go down the road nice. Minimal squeaks or rattles, very compliant over bumps without old car crashing, and it's quite enjoyable driving with the t-tops off. I fit in it just fine and can drive it just fine. It's actually quite easy to drive, the clutch is great, the engine is basically a truck engine with GOBS of torque, and the gearing just lets it cruise. It's faster than I thought, but also slower than a Corvette should be, but it's overall :aintcare: for what it is.

Old man is really getting into it and has been driving it almost exclusively. Plans to do so for the rest of summer to get the kinks out. He's talking about keeping it for the long haul, which as a self-proclaimed Corvette hater is :mindblown:

It's also got him hungry for another project, he's talking about trying to buy the ZL1 from his buddy...that would be a full restoration effort, and quite a project since it's a half million+ dollar car. That part has me nervous, but the story they have with that engine and car is epic (they pulled the engine together from a car getting repo'd in 1971) and worth preserving before the dude passes and his wife offs it to anyone for pennies on the dollar.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:nope:

Glad you guys are enjoying the Corvette! Seems like a fun ass cruiser. I would be :aintcare: about the power as well, it's not like it's a Beetle. Good enough for what it is.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:57 pm

Glad you guys are enjoying the Corvette! Seems like a fun ass cruiser. I would be :aintcare: about the power as well, it's not like it's a Beetle. Good enough for what it is.
:howdareu:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Huckleberry

The issue with restoring a car like that is you will be spending a lot of time and money searching for NOS/original parts. That is if you are trying to maximize the value.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I thought restored ones don’t bring the money either. It’s gotta be original out away in 1970 and and cherished by 3 generations of car guys who never drove it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also I thought your dad sold the CTS-V because $70K or whatever was too expensive to have it be fun to own? Getting a half milski car doesn't seem to solve that problem.

If he's all in though, hell, it would be pretty awesome for you to get some seat time/time around the thing, which is quite :nice:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:57 pm

It really is surprisingly adequate. The biggest issue I have with it is how quiet it is. You can barely hear the engine, the thing is surprisingly refined for its age and when it was engineered.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:08 pm
The issue with restoring a car like that is you will be spending a lot of time and money searching for NOS/original parts. That is if you are trying to maximize the value.
Yea, I warned my old man about that, and he agreed.

The issue is, his buddy is in pretty dire straights when it comes to finances. He had a debilitating stroke that left half his body paralyzed 20 years ago, and he hasn't been able to work since. His wife needs to retire due to age, but can't. The dude has gotten half millski offers for the car, but turns them down because of...reasons. He simply doesn't sell anything. My old man has more money than he'll ever be able to spend, and this is a life long friend (literally, they met in kindergarten) who could really use the money. The first car he ever sold was this C3 to my old man, and apparently he's really happy seeing it running and driving again. Old man takes videos and video chats with the guy as he trouble shoots things, and apparently it's really lifted his spirits. The ZL1 might be able to do the same.

Possibly the only hope for this car actually turning into life changing finances for the guy is selling it to my old man. Otherwise, he'll die with it apart in his garage and his wife will be stuck with figuring out what to do with it. My old man said he really needs a project (he's getting bored in retirement) and thinks the ZL1 could do it. HE's torn because the entire thing would need to be 100% original/NOS stuff, but the two of them have an epic history with this engine and car, and there's value in that to them. Restoring it as close to original as possible but not anal will ruin it's value, sure...but my old man doesn't need the money and I think the thing could be cool to have. I say restore it and drive it around ZFG, but there's a tough mental block to get over since the thing is so rare/desirable.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:49 pm I thought restored ones don’t bring the money either. It’s gotta be original out away in 1970 and and cherished by 3 generations of car guys who never drove it.
Restored ones with NOS parts and perfect attention to detail can fetch over 500k. It's insane, and I don't understand the interest at those prices at all. Old rich dudes buying cars to stare at in their garage collections I guess. Bleh.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:57 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:49 pm I thought restored ones don’t bring the money either. It’s gotta be original out away in 1970 and and cherished by 3 generations of car guys who never drove it.
Restored ones with NOS parts and perfect attention to detail can fetch over 500k. It's insane, and I don't understand the interest at those prices at all. Old rich dudes buying cars to stare at in their garage collections I guess. Bleh.
iNvEsTmEnTs
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:57 am
It's incredibly rare, and a crown jewel in the firmament of muscle car Valhalla The ULTIMATE factory Big Block Chevy, bar none. If you're going to stare, might as well be at that.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:56 am
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:08 pm

The issue is, his buddy is in pretty dire straights when it comes to finances. He had a debilitating stroke that left half his body paralyzed 20 years ago, and he hasn't been able to work since. His wife needs to retire due to age, but can't. The dude has gotten half millski offers for the car, but turns them down because of...reasons. He simply doesn't sell anything. My old man has more money than he'll ever be able to spend, and this is a life long friend (literally, they met in kindergarten) who could really use the money. The first car he ever sold was this C3 to my old man, and apparently he's really happy seeing it running and driving again. Old man takes videos and video chats with the guy as he trouble shoots things, and apparently it's really lifted his spirits. The ZL1 might be able to do the same.

Possibly the only hope for this car actually turning into life changing finances for the guy is selling it to my old man. Otherwise, he'll die with it apart in his garage and his wife will be stuck with figuring out what to do with it. My old man said he really needs a project (he's getting bored in retirement) and thinks the ZL1 could do it. HE's torn because the entire thing would need to be 100% original/NOS stuff, but the two of them have an epic history with this engine and car, and there's value in that to them. Restoring it as close to original as possible but not anal will ruin it's value, sure...but my old man doesn't need the money and I think the thing could be cool to have. I say restore it and drive it around ZFG, but there's a tough mental block to get over since the thing is so rare/desirable.
I probably should have completed my thought. If he is trying to restore it to retain its value, then it's going to be a painstaking process. If he restores the car to how he wants it and for driving around, then he should go for it. Cars are meant to be driven.

I'm in the camp of making the car personal and unique. I don't have time to worry about what someone else thinks my car is worth. It isn't for sale and it's the only one out there. In the instance of the ZL1, because it has that history, I think your dad's friend would be happy to see it running and driving. Hell, if you were closer, I'd offer to help.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:56 am

I probably should have completed my thought. If he is trying to restore it to retain its value, then it's going to be a painstaking process. If he restores the car to how he wants it and for driving around, then he should go for it. Cars are meant to be driven.

I'm in the camp of making the car personal and unique. I don't have time to worry about what someone else thinks my car is worth. It isn't for sale and it's the only one out there. In the instance of the ZL1, because it has that history, I think your dad's friend would be happy to see it running and driving. Hell, if you were closer, I'd offer to help.
Yea, it's hard to say what the guy wants. My old man is driving the Corvette up to show it to him, and asked it he wanted a ride in it. He said "I'd rather die than pass on that, I never thought I'd see it on the road again". When asked about the ZL1 and possibly sending it down to my dad's for him to simply "put it back together", not "sell it", the guy was actually open to the thought. Apparently, the car has most of the interior in it, and all ZL1 parts like the chambered exhaust are there. The short block is apparently assembled, and the heads, intake, and all accy components are in boxes. He also has a 1969 M21 transmission, though it's not numbers matching to the car.

My old man needs the focus. He got the Corvette running in under a month and he said he's really enjoyed the planning and work of getting it going and wants another project. He may buy something, but if he can help his buddy get the ZL1 back together with the parts he has, that would be his priority. Considering the story and their history, I'm encouraging him to do what you suggested...assemble the fucker and drive it like it's meant to be driven. The dude needs the money, but won't part with anything, it's wild. But at least if it's assembled, it might be worth a tad more so if he passes my old man could help his widow sell it for decent money she needs.

Selfishly, I hope it goes through so I can wrench on it with my old man. I'd be coming down to Detroit more frequently for that, I really miss wrenching. We changed the water pump on the Vette yesterday (the bearing sounded HORRIBLE) and it was nice to spin some wrenches and bullshit for a bit. :gaydance: Putting together a legendary 69 Camaro ZL1 would be quite a neat thing IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth

Also, I've been driving the C3 a bit, and the thing is awesome. Still amazed how well I fit in it, and it's reasonably comfortable. :tits: says it feels like riding in the batmobile with the view of the fenders around the hood, she's not wrong. Still amazed by how not slow it is. Sure, it won't win any drag races, but flooring it to get the secondary's open is surprisingly :notbad: performance. Actually, really well balanced feeling for what it is, an excellent around town cruiser/fun thing.

A/C was converted and charged with R134 earlier this week, and it throws snowballs. Will be interesting if it holds a charge.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:05 am
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:23 pm

Yea, it's hard to say what the guy wants. My old man is driving the Corvette up to show it to him, and asked it he wanted a ride in it. He said "I'd rather die than pass on that, I never thought I'd see it on the road again". When asked about the ZL1 and possibly sending it down to my dad's for him to simply "put it back together", not "sell it", the guy was actually open to the thought. Apparently, the car has most of the interior in it, and all ZL1 parts like the chambered exhaust are there. The short block is apparently assembled, and the heads, intake, and all accy components are in boxes. He also has a 1969 M21 transmission, though it's not numbers matching to the car.

My old man needs the focus. He got the Corvette running in under a month and he said he's really enjoyed the planning and work of getting it going and wants another project. He may buy something, but if he can help his buddy get the ZL1 back together with the parts he has, that would be his priority. Considering the story and their history, I'm encouraging him to do what you suggested...assemble the fucker and drive it like it's meant to be driven. The dude needs the money, but won't part with anything, it's wild. But at least if it's assembled, it might be worth a tad more so if he passes my old man could help his widow sell it for decent money she needs.

Selfishly, I hope it goes through so I can wrench on it with my old man. I'd be coming down to Detroit more frequently for that, I really miss wrenching. We changed the water pump on the Vette yesterday (the bearing sounded HORRIBLE) and it was nice to spin some wrenches and bullshit for a bit. :gaydance: Putting together a legendary 69 Camaro ZL1 would be quite a neat thing IMO.
Would the ZL1s have come with an M21 or M22? Not that it matters. If the trans works, bolt it in.

Hopefully, you and your dad get the chance to put it back together. It seems like your dad's friend enjoys seeing his prized possessions running again.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:11 am Also, I've been driving the C3 a bit, and the thing is awesome. Still amazed how well I fit in it, and it's reasonably comfortable. :tits: says it feels like riding in the batmobile with the view of the fenders around the hood, she's not wrong. Still amazed by how not slow it is. Sure, it won't win any drag races, but flooring it to get the secondary's open is surprisingly :notbad: performance. Actually, really well balanced feeling for what it is, an excellent around town cruiser/fun thing.

A/C was converted and charged with R134 earlier this week, and it throws snowballs. Will be interesting if it holds a charge.
It should as long as the lines and seals were replaced.