OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:19 am I got the VID again for the 2nd time whilst in Colorado. ABSOLUTELY NOT social distancing, shoulder to shoulder with strangers 20 times in a month because I like bars, so I had it coming big time. Wife was the Teflon Don, again. Not the worst thing ever but a nasty cough and its been 6 days from ignition and I've still got gross snot and what not.
Dang. :(

Godspeed, Dirk.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:19 am I got the VID again for the 2nd time whilst in Colorado. ABSOLUTELY NOT social distancing, shoulder to shoulder with strangers 20 times in a month because I like bars, so I had it coming big time. Wife was the Teflon Don, again. Not the worst thing ever but a nasty cough and its been 6 days from ignition and I've still got gross snot and what not.
dang that sucks, speedy recovery.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:16 am
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:02 am Eating out is a non issue in Cali.

NY on the other hand seems to be booked solid for popular $$$$ places for day/weeks in advance.

Fast food is just shit anywhere you go but that goes without saying. I don’t understand the expectation that it isn’t shit. It’s cheap “food” hell there are lawsuits thar claim there is no beef in the beef … 36% or whatever. Run by people who can’t/won’t get a better job than this.

A job where you scrape together pink slime meals while dealing with bums/drunks and assholes daily at all hours of the night. Can you imagine going to work daily at 2 am to deal with scum?! I’d literally blow my brains out. How can it all hold together ?!

If you don’t like it don’t support it.
I just eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and hit the hay.
I think our :wap: is showing... young people don't give a F and expect a perfect McDonalds Bic Mac as shown in the picture and billboard at 3am, from a McDonalds in Compton.
max225

wap wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:30 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:32 am
We need people to stop spending. Like I just posted, TB messes up our order EVERYTIME. I can't imagine we're unique and it happens to others too. And yet, there's a traffic jam around the building to the drive thru at all hours of the day/night. So people are willing and excited to spend money for the wrong things all the time? Or do they know a secret way to get the correct order? Or are there secret coupons or something I don't get?

People around here bitch about restaurant prices, then proceed to go out anyway so there's still waits everywhere. We tried to go to a place this weekend. Walk in to a half empty restaurant. Ask the wait for 2 and the girl spends a good 10 seconds scouring the half empty restaurant just to say "hmmm, probably 1.5 hours". I look around "there's nobody here". "Well, we have reservations coming in". Uh, ok. People behind us get the same story and say "Oh, great! 1.5 hours is no problem". :wat: It was 7pm, I was hungry and really didn't want to wait until 8:30 to sit down. And so we walked on, just to get the same story with the same situation from a few other places before we just got sandwiches at Jimmy John's on the way home. Which incidentally, is the only place that manages to not mess up my order.

There's no incentive for restaurants (FF or otherwise) to be open different hours or work differently/better because demand is somehow entirely inelastic. A downturn would do everyone a lot of good.
CSB:
We hosted our annual Halloween party this past weekend. It was our largest ever at 35 people. We decided to cater and get Chinese from our local take out joint. I was nervous because they do not speak much English there (a sign that it's good food?) so we went in the day before to place our order in person as it would be virtually impossible to do it successfully over the phone. We ordered 5 things, a total of 21 items including 30 egg rolls. The egg rolls are yuuge so we cut them in half. Requested that they be ready for my pickup at 4:00 pm SHARP the next day, Saturday, 90 minutes before everyone was scheduled to arrive. :thisisfine :sweaty:

I thought there was no way they'd get the order perfectly right. Got there at 3:50 and they were just beginning to pack everything up so I started taking things out to my car. Ended up being 2 large boxes and 6 bags of food. Plus they gave us 3 orders of crab rangoon free for placing such a large order. Did a quick inventory at my car before leaving and they absolutely nailed it, items ordered and quantities were perfect. I was :mindblown: :impressive: . Dem hard working immigrants.

For those keeping score, this was my order:

4 large orders of vegetable fried rice.
3 large orders of pork fried rice
7 large orders of chicken lo mein
7 large orders of beef and broccoli
15 orders of egg rolls (2 per order so 30 total)
Plus the 3 orders of free crab rangoon (18 pcs total)

Total was $305. We fed everybody including several teenagers (who absolutely inhaled this shit, lol) and still had lots left over which we're sharing with my inlaws and will still eat several times this week :excited: :drool:

:csb:
Yea this is because it is run and OWNED by the same people who actually give a fuck to stay in business. If pregnant LaQuisha was making your fried rice at 3am while getting $7 an hr you'd be in a bit of a different predicament.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:16 am
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:02 am Eating out is a non issue in Cali.

NY on the other hand seems to be booked solid for popular $$$$ places for day/weeks in advance.

Fast food is just shit anywhere you go but that goes without saying. I don’t understand the expectation that it isn’t shit. It’s cheap “food” hell there are lawsuits thar claim there is no beef in the beef … 36% or whatever. Run by people who can’t/won’t get a better job than this.

A job where you scrape together pink slime meals while dealing with bums/drunks and assholes daily at all hours of the night. Can you imagine going to work daily at 2 am to deal with scum?! I’d literally blow my brains out. How can it all hold together ?!

If you don’t like it don’t support it.
Flying out to NYC tomorrow, so going to be interesting to see how it goes. Client meetings with :troywax: dinners/activities will be :popcorn:

I just live in an area where everyone is rich and nobody wants to work menial jobs. And like you said, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to work in fast food, it really sounds terrible. What I don't understand is your last point. Everyone complains about it, but then continues to spend money there! If you want to influence change, STOP SUPPORTING IT.
ugh server errors
max225

Right, I think its the young folks + the fucked up/high folks keeping those places open as they have no other options to "EAT NOW" because reasons. "Normal" people don't venture into a drive through post 10pm
wap

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:34 pm

CSB:
We hosted our annual Halloween party this past weekend. It was our largest ever at 35 people. We decided to cater and get Chinese from our local take out joint. I was nervous because they do not speak much English there (a sign that it's good food?) so we went in the day before to place our order in person as it would be virtually impossible to do it successfully over the phone. We ordered 5 things, a total of 21 items including 30 egg rolls. The egg rolls are yuuge so we cut them in half. Requested that they be ready for my pickup at 4:00 pm SHARP the next day, Saturday, 90 minutes before everyone was scheduled to arrive. :thisisfine :sweaty:

I thought there was no way they'd get the order perfectly right. Got there at 3:50 and they were just beginning to pack everything up so I started taking things out to my car. Ended up being 2 large boxes and 6 bags of food. Plus they gave us 3 orders of crab rangoon free for placing such a large order. Did a quick inventory at my car before leaving and they absolutely nailed it, items ordered and quantities were perfect. I was :mindblown: :impressive: . Dem hard working immigrants.

Total was $305. We fed everybody including several teenagers (who absolutely inhaled this shit, lol) and still had lots left over which we're sharing with my inlaws and will still eat several times this week :excited: :drool:

Yea this is because it is run and OWNED by the same people who actually give a fuck to stay in business. If pregnant LaQuisha was making your fried rice at 3am while getting $7 an hr you'd be in a bit of a different predicament.
:dat: is the key, for sure.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Was wondering where you’d been. Hope it passes quickly and no lingering effects.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:32 am
We need people to stop spending. Like I just posted, TB messes up our order EVERYTIME. I can't imagine we're unique and it happens to others too. And yet, there's a traffic jam around the building to the drive thru at all hours of the day/night. So people are willing and excited to spend money for the wrong things all the time? Or do they know a secret way to get the correct order? Or are there secret coupons or something I don't get?

People around here bitch about restaurant prices, then proceed to go out anyway so there's still waits everywhere. We tried to go to a place this weekend. Walk in to a half empty restaurant. Ask the wait for 2 and the girl spends a good 10 seconds scouring the half empty restaurant just to say "hmmm, probably 1.5 hours". I look around "there's nobody here". "Well, we have reservations coming in". Uh, ok. People behind us get the same story and say "Oh, great! 1.5 hours is no problem". :wat: It was 7pm, I was hungry and really didn't want to wait until 8:30 to sit down. And so we walked on, just to get the same story with the same situation from a few other places before we just got sandwiches at Jimmy John's on the way home. Which incidentally, is the only place that manages to not mess up my order.

There's no incentive for restaurants (FF or otherwise) to be open different hours or work differently/better because demand is somehow entirely inelastic. A downturn would do everyone a lot of good.
CSB:

Sound epic :drool:

We hit that local burger spot, Killer Burger, I’ve mentioned a few times again last night. I got my usual [user not found] burger, and then added one of their new crispy chicken sandwich. Burger was excellent as always, and the chicken sandwich was 4/7. A little more breading when frying and a different bun would be 5/7 easy. I followed them up with a cinnamon bun I had made Saturday to take to a friend’s Halloween party. Used my family recipe and they turned out 5/7.
wap

Man, I want a burger now.

So, what kind of burger was it? A b e n d e r burger...? :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Somehow it's sunny and in the 60's here, so I'm grilling burgers tonight. It's the only way I can get one cooked the way I like these days, and it's way less than $20.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:56 pm Man, I want a burger now.

Yeah, the big B: Bacon, Spicy BBQ, Crispy Jalapeño, House Sauce, Grilled Onion & Cheddar.

I skip the bbq and house sauce.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:42 pm Somehow it's sunny and in the 60's here, so I'm grilling burgers tonight. It's the only way I can get one cooked the way I like these days, and it's way less than $20.
I had to set up a beach umbrella over our patio this morning to grill my chicken for the next few days :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:01 pm
wap wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:56 pm Man, I want a burger now.

Yeah, the big B: Bacon, Spicy BBQ, Crispy Jalapeño, House Sauce, Grilled Onion & Cheddar.

Then what :sawce: is on it?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:42 pm Somehow it's sunny and in the 60's here, so I'm grilling burgers tonight. It's the only way I can get one cooked the way I like these days, and it's way less than $20.
I had to set up a beach umbrella over our patio this morning to grill my chicken for the next few days :lol:
:impressive:

In areas that usually have crap weather in October from Portland to Northern Michigan, absolutely gorgeous.

We don't get spring anymore, but fall is awesome and extends well into November now. :notbad:

When I was a kid down in Detroit, I remember trick or treating in the snow with snow coats on more often than not. I'm wearing shorts today and I'm 250 miles north of where I grew up. :mindblown:
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:24 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:02 pm

In areas that usually have crap weather in October from Portland to Northern Michigan, absolutely gorgeous.

We don't get spring anymore, but fall is awesome and extends well into November now. :notbad:

When I was a kid down in Detroit, I remember trick or treating in the snow with snow coats on more often than not. I'm wearing shorts today and I'm 250 miles north of where I grew up. :mindblown:
Can confirm. Leaves didn't even start to fall ( :iswydt: ) in earnest until the 2nd half of October, and we rarely got below low 60 temps and frequently hit 70+. In fact, we're forcasted to hit the 70's again later this week - in November. And I don't even think we got our first real frost yet. It's :mindblown: . And, like you, I remember cold, nasty Halloween nights trick or treating in a winter coat. :thisisfine:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:24 pm

Can confirm. Leaves didn't even start to fall ( :iswydt: ) in earnest until the 2nd half of October, and we rarely got below low 60 temps and frequently hit 70+. In fact, we're forcasted to hit the 70's again later this week - in November. And I don't even think we got our first real frost yet. It's :mindblown: . And, like you, I remember cold, nasty Halloween nights trick or treating in a winter coat. :thisisfine:
Dude, our colors PEAKED last week and the leaves didn't really start falling until Friday. We're in a weird "microclimate" thing in the middle of GT bay that usually makes us the last to lose leaves, but this year is just :mindblown: Yesterday was the first day that I noticed the trees getting thinner and losing leaves. Amazingly late, but I'm not complaining by any means. I love fall, and it's been going on for over a month now.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:00 pm
wap wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:43 pm

Dude, our colors PEAKED last week and the leaves didn't really start falling until Friday. We're in a weird "microclimate" thing in the middle of GT bay that usually makes us the last to lose leaves, but this year is just :mindblown: Yesterday was the first day that I noticed the trees getting thinner and losing leaves. Amazingly late, but I'm not complaining by any means. I love fall, and it's been going on for over a month now.
I :megusta: fall, too! And this has been a pretty good one, even if it's because of fucked up climate shenanigans.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:02 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:01 pm

No :sawce: the meat/cheese/jalapeño/onion is still super flavorful to me with my bland ass diet, so holding the sauce saves me some solid calories from fat and sugar.
SAWCE

Our leaves are just starting to turn. We’ve got some beautiful reds and oranges in with the green right now. Some yellow one a few species of trees, but mostly the red, orange, and green.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:00 pm
I :megusta: fall, too! And this has been a pretty good one, even if it's because of fucked up climate shenanigans.
We basically traded fall for spring, it's so weird. Fall lasts well into November now, whereas it used to be done by Halloween. We haven't even had snow on Christmas for the last number of years. But then winter kicks in January and doesn't really leave until May. :tits: birthday is May 11, and it's snowed on her b-day the last few years. Then one day in June, it'll be 75 and stay that way through September.

We're starting to think about road tripping in April/May when most areas are starting to hit spring. By May, the cold gray days really start to wear on my mental state.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:02 pm
No :sawce: the meat/cheese/jalapeño/onion is still super flavorful to me with my bland ass diet, so holding the sauce saves me some solid calories from fat and sugar.
But what's :sawce: without sauce? :notsure:

I love sauce on burgers, but it can sometimes be too much. It really depends on the place and burger. That thing with both spicy BBQ and house would be quite a messy experience.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:42 pm Our leaves are just starting to turn. We’ve got some beautiful reds and oranges in with the green right now. Some yellow one a few species of trees, but mostly the red, orange, and green.
My favorite time, I love all the colors. They change to brown fast :doe:

This was outside our house on Thursday:

Now all the yellow leaves have fallen and what's left is brown. BUT our house packs a fun surprise, when the leaves fall we can see the water and rolling hills from our house. Pictures to come later this week.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:47 pm
wap wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:27 pm

We basically traded fall for spring, it's so weird. Fall lasts well into November now, whereas it used to be done by Halloween. We haven't even had snow on Christmas for the last number of years. But then winter kicks in January and doesn't really leave until May. :tits: birthday is May 11, and it's snowed on her b-day the last few years. Then one day in June, it'll be 75 and stay that way through September.

We're starting to think about road tripping in April/May when most areas are starting to hit spring. By May, the cold gray days really start to wear on my mental state.
:amaze: new weather patterns for upper Meatchicken. But great idea to road trip in April when the rest of the country is already waking up from winter! :doit:
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:52 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:42 pm Our leaves are just starting to turn. We’ve got some beautiful reds and oranges in with the green right now. Some yellow one a few species of trees, but mostly the red, orange, and green.
My favorite time, I love all the colors. They change to brown fast :doe:

This was outside our house on Thursday:

Now all the yellow leaves have fallen and what's left is brown. BUT our house packs a fun surprise, when the leaves fall we can see the water and rolling hills from our house. Pictures to come later this week.
:excited: :popcorn: