OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:17 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:34 pm Interesting commentary on the bridge here. Pretty wild stuff, did they find anyone that was lost in the water? Is it actually true that the US hasn’t built any major bridges in decades or is that just :fax: stuff?
Dude they just replaced a major bridge here in 2015. And it was shipped here from CHYNA. I wish I was making that up. They then knocked down the other bridge standing next to it
Dang, which bridge? I’d be interested to read up on that, made in China bridge seems… :notsure: at best.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:05 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:32 pm

:dat:

I’m interested. No Safeway back east in Flyover country though.

I love pickles. I enjoy kimchi, but it can be hit or miss. I got Korean food in NYC last night and it was quite legit. The Korean lady waitress was so disappointed when I said I was going vegetarian :lolol: but it was still delish.
Don’t do it bro.
:lolol: I’m not full on, just for most meals. Recently :tits: has been on a big meat kick, a lot of her research indicates higher protein and fat/lower carbs is good for success with IVF. I think low carb is :bs: but whatever, we’ve had more meat than I need at home so going light on it on this trip.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

Melon2.0 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:42 pm

Where can one procure such a delicacy?

I love pickles. I enjoy kimchi, but it can be hit or miss. I got Korean food in NYC last night and it was quite legit. The Korean lady waitress was so disappointed when I said I was going vegetarian :lolol: but it was still delish.
Choi’s on Arrowood has been putting out bangin korean food for decades. It’s the type of building that if you drive by and were curious, Allison probably wouldn’t get out of the car, but trust me! It’s amazing!

I hope more people go vegetarian for this reason: less cows, better quality living conditions for the cow, better quality meat for Jeremy. Side note, I think I’m gonna start getting my food from Weston’s dad’s company. Farm raised cows, grass fed, they aren’t all packed together in a feedlot, no processed shit or packaging, just need to figure out where to store a 1/4 cow at my house.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

SAWCE wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:12 pm

Also, here you go: plug your zip code in and hopefully there’s something near you.

https://www.clevelandkitchen.com/find-us

Looks like the fine retail establishment known as Target sells their products.
Fuck yea, Harris Teeter near me has these. They also sell kimchi kraut! I’m about to go ham at the grocery.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:07 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:01 pm

they are called bollards

seen in this pic

Strike was just a very unfortunate angle

I guess? It seems like a completely ineffective design given the fact that a 1000 foot long ship managed to strike the bridge.
See below overhead angle. My guess is that wind and or currents caused the vessel to 'port around' the bollard while they didn't have control. Also nothing happens fast on a ship that big. But you are right, bollard design has improved since the 70's and new construction has barriers that are more protective than this from what i've seen looking around.

Maybe if we invested in our aging infrastructure instead of throwing money around at literally everything else in this country they could have been hardened. But also, if bollard strikes were rare at this port perhaps it would be a low priority anyway. All around unfortunate.

edit:
https://omny.fm/shows/odd-lots/sal-merc ... e-collapse
We know the ship dropped its port anchor because you can see it down and it's streaming aft. So they try to do it, but an anchor at eight knots is just going to drag the bottom. It's not going to stop.
that would create a port around effect for sure, not sure how strong tho.
Last edited by golftdibrad1 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:37 am
wap wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:17 pm

" :fax: "

This beauty was built in 2010:

There are several others being built, or soon to be, under that Infrastructure Bill that passed a couple years ago.
https://www.worldconstructionnetwork.co ... ts-the-us/
:word: I assumed made up :fax: but was too lazy to research. The Arthur Ravenal Bridge in Charleston is pretty incredible as well and was built in the aughts.

I’ve actually been to Hoover Dam before and after that so should’ve thought of it. It is indeed :mindblown: I remember driving over it the first time in the Bang Bus circa 2015 or 16 in the dark and the cross wind was pretty wild. I later saw what it looked like/the gap below and was retroactively terrified :lolol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_O%27 ... ial_Bridge

still took 12 years
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

There are several others being built, or soon to be, under that Infrastructure Bill that passed a couple years ago.
:word: I assumed made up :fax: but was too lazy to research. The Arthur Ravenal Bridge in Charleston is pretty incredible as well and was built in the aughts.

I’ve actually been to Hoover Dam before and after that so should’ve thought of it. It is indeed :mindblown: I remember driving over it the first time in the Bang Bus circa 2015 or 16 in the dark and the cross wind was pretty wild. I later saw what it looked like/the gap below and was retroactively terrified :lolol:
Came across The Arthur Ravenal Bridge in my 30 seconds of researching and should have included it as well.

I have a low level phobia of bridges ( :ludacris: , I know) and I totally get your retroactive terror. :lolol:
I mean, it never prevents me from crossing them, I just don't like it. lol
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:22 am
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:07 pm

I guess? It seems like a completely ineffective design given the fact that a 1000 foot long ship managed to strike the bridge.
See below overhead angle. My guess is that wind and or currents caused the vessel to 'port around' the bollard while they didn't have control. Also nothing happens fast on a ship that big. But you are right, bollard design has improved since the 70's and new construction has barriers that are more protective than this from what i've seen looking around.

Maybe if we invested in our aging infrastructure instead of throwing money around at literally everything else in this country they could have been hardened. But also, if bollard strikes were rare at this port perhaps it would be a low priority anyway. All around unfortunate.

edit:
https://omny.fm/shows/odd-lots/sal-merc ... e-collapse
We know the ship dropped its port anchor because you can see it down and it's streaming aft. So they try to do it, but an anchor at eight knots is just going to drag the bottom. It's not going to stop.
that would create a port around effect for sure, not sure how strong tho.

Found it interesting that the power poles were protected right on front of the bridge also
Last edited by max225 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:39 am
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:17 pm

Dude they just replaced a major bridge here in 2015. And it was shipped here from CHYNA. I wish I was making that up. They then knocked down the other bridge standing next to it
Dang, which bridge? I’d be interested to read up on that, made in China bridge seems… :notsure: at best.
Bay bridge

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern ... Bay_Bridge
6.5 billion fucking dollars

And it’s the world’s widest bridge!

and right after they installed it the main retaining screws started snapping. :fullretard: it’s all “fixed” now…

I have a mild phobia of bridges like our wap man also. I love looking at them and studying their designs but I hate being on them.
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:40 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:39 am

Bay bridge

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern ... Bay_Bridge
6.5 billion fucking dollars

And it’s the world’s widest bridge!

and right after they installed it the main retaining screws started snapping. :fullretard: it’s all “fixed” now…

I have a mild phobia of bridges like our wap man also. I love looking at them and studying their designs but I hate being on them.
:sissyfight:
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Many Things

wap wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:29 am I have a low level phobia of bridges ( :ludacris: , I know) and I totally get your retroactive terror. :lolol:
It's not uncommon to be stuck on the Mississippi river bridge here in BR. You'll just be shaking up and down the whole time sitting there.
wap

Melon2.0 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:03 am
wap wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:29 am I have a low level phobia of bridges ( :ludacris: , I know) and I totally get your retroactive terror. :lolol:
It's not uncommon to be stuck on the Mississippi river bridge here in BR. You'll just be shaking up and down the whole time sitting there.
I've experienced this before on other bridges. :nope:
max225

FUCCKKKKK that :shock:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Yeah that’s a hard pass, dawg.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I walked across the Golden Gate Bridge once. That was pretty wild. Got a cool shot under one of the suspension towers.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:29 am

Came across The Arthur Ravenal Bridge in my 30 seconds of researching and should have included it as well.

I have a low level phobia of bridges ( :ludacris: , I know) and I totally get your retroactive terror. :lolol:
Lived in Tacoma for a few years, many trips over the "new" Narrows bridge for beers at Tide's Tavern in Gig Harbor.

Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Back when i lived on the west bank and worked in Harahan outside NOLA i had to go over the HUEY P LONG, pre upgrade. Its a 1930's train bridge with 9 foot wide car lanes, no shoulder, tacked onto it. Literally. Also had a traffic circle approach on west side before people learned to hate them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huey_P._L ... on_Parish)

It separated the men from the boys. Passing an 18 wheeler took balls if you were in a wide vehicle like a truck. and if you got stuck in traffic...which happened quite alot... and a Train was on it? Don't have an open container - the thing would sway and rock full inches.

The upgraded car bridge removed all this fun with its fancy independently supported roadway, shallower grade, and 3 real lanes and a shoulder.

Oh and it got tagged with somewhat regular frequency by ship traffic and is still there. Be closed for a day or two for inspections, then saddle back up motorists.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:54 pm Back when i lived on the west bank and worked in Harahan outside NOLA i had to go over the HUEY P LONG, pre upgrade. Its a 1930's train bridge with 9 foot wide car lanes, no shoulder, tacked onto it. Literally. Also had a traffic circle approach on west side before people learned to hate them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huey_P._L ... on_Parish)

It separated the men from the boys. Passing an 18 wheeler took balls if you were in a wide vehicle like a truck. and if you got stuck in traffic...which happened quite alot... and a Train was on it? Don't have an open container - the thing would sway and rock full inches.

The upgraded car bridge removed all this fun with its fancy independently supported roadway, shallower grade, and 3 real lanes and a shoulder.

Oh and it got tagged with somewhat regular frequency by ship traffic and is still there. Be closed for a day or two for inspections, then saddle back up motorists.
Good story!
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:34 pm Interesting commentary on the bridge here. Pretty wild stuff, did they find anyone that was lost in the water? Is it actually true that the US hasn’t built any major bridges in decades or is that just :fax: stuff?

wap... breh. cmon now. I love that bridge. and its a great feat. but it was 2x over budget and 2x over schedule. AND ONLY 1,060 FEET LONG SPAN.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_O%27 ... ial_Bridge

I've seen and driven it in person.

it took them 5 years of planning and studies, 3-5 years of funding and approaches, and 5 more years to construct.

Why do y'all hate INCONVENIENT truths so? Its just what it takes us to do anything. The hoover dam was the last large scale infrastructure effort to come in under schedule and on budget.

This is a :fax: . and its :sad: So yeah. Its stands that we haven't built a 1+ mile span bridge in 50 years.... and our infrastructure rapidly approaching/past its designed age.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

its by design :lolol:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I'd love to buy some of ye old :wap: rose colored glasses. Maybe he could retire if he sold them? I live and breath this industry every day. I love design and big construction efforts. I am frustrated daily by the things we fail to accomplish. The workers progress efforts out of the depression was a proud and triumphant part of what made the US great. And we rested on them laurels for a long time, still using that infrastructure.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:47 am

FUCCKKKKK that :shock:
Its a great time to inspect those large steel expansion plate joints... and the low railing keeping you from the large river below. :neek:
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:27 pm

I had someone riding with me who was visibly beginning to have a panic attack as we sat there and swayed.
When I explained that the bridge needed to flex and, if it was too rigid it would fall into the river, it didn't seem to do any good to alleviate the fears.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Melon2.0 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:47 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:27 pm

I had someone riding with me who was visibly beginning to have a panic attack as we sat there and swayed.
When I explained that the bridge needed to flex and, if it was too rigid it would fall into the river, it didn't seem to do any good to alleviate the fears.
I think deep down, its not a phobia, but a well-founded understanding in your mortality and faith in our humanity to trust the construction/design.
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

The trick is to be depressed enough so that the warm embrace of death seems like a release rather than an unpleasant experience.