OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Man, great updates! We've been following a very similar diet for a few years now. Way less meat, way more natural foods, and more vegetarian. Tofu and tempeh can be prepared to be quite tasty, and I find tempeh to be really filling, it's a go to for lunch with rice and other such things. Farm chicken, farm pork, and local fish is about the only meat we eat.

I can't eat dairy products like I used to. Cheese, milk, etc upsets my system. Wife's allergic to it, so we've cut it out almost entirely and I can't tell if my lack of intake has made me less tolerant, or if old age has made me a bit lactose intolerant. I don't miss it anywhere near as much as I thought I would, and I feel better overall.

One thing to note: yogurt like greek or icelandic has so much good probiotic stuff that my wife and I can eat it without problem. It's been a godsend for getting off other dairy products. Plain Icelandic yogurt can be a very convincing sour cream substitute, for example. We also make dips and sauces out of it for cauliflower and whatnot, and it's amazing what you can make that's not bad for you at all.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Dang Dan, sorry to hear about your pops being in such rough shape right now. Hopefully that cortisol shot helps once he’s able to get it. :(
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:18 pm Man, great updates! We've been following a very similar diet for a few years now. Way less meat, way more natural foods, and more vegetarian. Tofu and tempeh can be prepared to be quite tasty, and I find tempeh to be really filling, it's a go to for lunch with rice and other such things. Farm chicken, farm pork, and local fish is about the only meat we eat.

I can't eat dairy products like I used to. Cheese, milk, etc upsets my system. Wife's allergic to it, so we've cut it out almost entirely and I can't tell if my lack of intake has made me less tolerant, or if old age has made me a bit lactose intolerant. I don't miss it anywhere near as much as I thought I would, and I feel better overall.

One thing to note: yogurt like greek or icelandic has so much good probiotic stuff that my wife and I can eat it without problem. It's been a godsend for getting off other dairy products. Plain Icelandic yogurt can be a very convincing sour cream substitute, for example. We also make dips and sauces out of it for cauliflower and whatnot, and it's amazing what you can make that's not bad for you at all.
I love it, thanks for the reco, we've been buying islandic/greek yogurt for years. I hope to put it back into my diet when I'm feeling better.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

I was going to mention Greek yogurt, but Icelandic skyr is a good suggestion, too. They both make good sour cream substitutes, btw.
Also, plenty of beans, fresh seafood, fresh greens (maybe grow your own?) and don't forget that olive oil. It's great for heart health and keeping the :plac: out of your system.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

How is skyr different from normal ? It’s still a dairy product so if you have an allergy that should still hold.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:23 pm I was going to mention Greek yogurt, but Icelandic skyr is a good suggestion, too. They both make good sour cream substitutes, btw.
Also, plenty of beans, fresh seafood, fresh greens (maybe grow your own?) and don't forget that olive oil. It's great for heart health and keeping the :plac: out of your system.
Are you habitually eating the olive oil daily on its own or incorporating it into your meals? How much are you consuming?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:28 pm How is skyr different from normal ? It’s still a dairy product so if you have an allergy that should still hold.
Greek and Icelandic yogurt have so much probiotic stuff in it that it helps your system digest it as you eat it. Most yogurt is this way, which is why lactose intolerant people like frozen yogurt as an ice cream substitute. My wife is full blown allergic to lactose (I'll spare the details, trust me) and yogurt is the only lactose type product she's able to eat. She's so sensitive that butter on toast in the morning will keep her near a bathroom all afternoon. Yogurt is awesome for everyone.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:54 am
wap wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:23 pm I was going to mention Greek yogurt, but Icelandic skyr is a good suggestion, too. They both make good sour cream substitutes, btw.
Are you habitually eating the olive oil daily on its own or incorporating it into your meals? How much are you consuming?
That's the only oil we cook with. We've got an olive oil shop in town that makes a ton of different infused olive oils and that can work for ANY dish. They even have a butter one that we use in place of butter (because of above) that has been fantastic.
Desertbreh

So much health food up in here. I went and took one of those Viome tests which purportedly tells you which foods are best suited for your system and which are inflammatory/no nos. Its being processed at the lab ATM.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apparently the probiotics in yogurt destroy the lactose in yogurt. If you dig deeper, lactose is a cancer causing agent and foods that have lactose in them put people at higher risk of getting the big C. I learned this yesterday from the book I sourced above.

If you're going to eat dairy, yogurt is the way to go.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

For those who want to feed their natural gut flora and stay away from dairy altogether, leafy greens like spinach, kale and romaine will do an awesome job to keep those naturally occurring little guys thriving.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:38 am So much health food up in here. I went and took one of those Viome tests which purportedly tells you which foods are best suited for your system and which are inflammatory/no nos. Its being processed at the lab ATM.
:dat:
There is a lot of information available to us nowadays, I'm just starting to GIS now that I'm having concerns around my heart health. It seems like Chris and Michelle are ahead of me which hopefully saves them from unnecessary heartache (pun).
Desertbreh

Boy this forum veers farther from flatbrims, Taco Bell and Modshack intakes every day.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:38 am So much health food up in here. I went and took one of those Viome tests which purportedly tells you which foods are best suited for your system and which are inflammatory/no nos. Its being processed at the lab ATM.
:ohdang: I didn't know that was a thing.
SAWCE

Raw sauerkraut and kimchi are also great for gut health and are my go-tos.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:26 am
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:28 pm How is skyr different from normal ? It’s still a dairy product so if you have an allergy that should still hold.
Greek and Icelandic yogurt have so much probiotic stuff in it that it helps your system digest it as you eat it. Most yogurt is this way, which is why lactose intolerant people like frozen yogurt as an ice cream substitute. My wife is full blown allergic to lactose (I'll spare the details, trust me) and yogurt is the only lactose type product she's able to eat. She's so sensitive that butter on toast in the morning will keep her near a bathroom all afternoon. Yogurt is awesome for everyone.
Can she have goat milk? I understand that many lactose intolerant or allergic people can handle goat milk just fine. Apparently, many people who are allergic to cow's milk drink goat milk and it does not give them the same reaction.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:28 am
Tar wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:54 am

That's the only oil we cook with. We've got an olive oil shop in town that makes a ton of different infused olive oils and that can work for ANY dish. They even have a butter one that we use in place of butter (because of above) that has been fantastic.
:dat:
We use it to pan fry pretty much everything that you'd want to pan fry. Also, when I boil pasta I'll put a dollop of OO in the water. It coats the pasta and helps it to not stick. Sometimes, for a snack, I'll have a little plate of olive oil and bread and cheese and olives. Real Greek peasant stuff, but healthy and :drool: . But I guess that wouldn't work for Tar since he's cutting out bread and dairy.

I have heard of people simply eating a tablespoon of OO. :iono:
wap

Tar wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:43 am For those who want to feed their natural gut flora and stay away from dairy altogether, leafy greens like spinach, kale and romaine will do an awesome job to keep those naturally occurring little guys thriving.
Sour kraut, too.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:28 am Raw sauerkraut and kimchi are also great for gut health and are my go-tos.
:sissyfight:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thanks Wap, I'll consider it. Yeah the bread thing is delish, especially with a half and half split of OO and quality balsamic vinegar.... Mmmm, mouthwatering! Sauerkraut is amazing too, I'm a huge fan and will add it to my shopping list.
SAWCE

I really love the Wildbrine brand for sauerkraut and kimchi. Costco carries a big tub of the sauerkraut for cheap. The kimchi can be found a places like Sprouts. The Korean one tastes better to me than the Japanese one; but both are good on different foods.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:48 am Boy this forum veers farther from flatbrims, Taco Bell and Modshack intakes every day.
I had 20 spicy nuggets from Wendy’s this weekend, didn’t feel the need to brag about it tho.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:49 am
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:48 am Boy this forum veers farther from flatbrims, Taco Bell and Modshack intakes every day.
I had 20 spicy nuggets from Wendy’s this weekend, didn’t feel the need to brag about it tho.
I had taco bell...twice.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:55 am
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:49 am

I had taco bell...twice.
:mahman:
SAWCE

Oh god. Speaking of food. Michelle’s parents were in town this weekend. Her mom likes French food, so M found a highly rated “French” restaurant in Portland. Holy fuck, worst meal of my life by far. Some French techniques, but the food wasn’t actually French. They were all over the place with terrible flavor combinations. The one good thing that I ate, besides a baguette with salted butter, was a bratwurst terrine. Her dad had some foie gras dumplings that he said were okay, but everyone else hated everything we ordered :disgust: I was especially disappointed as it was my one cheat meal for the week and it was terribad. Oh, there were these little sliders we ordered that were decent, but even those had a weird relish component that took them down a notch.