OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Jesus. 5/7 story. 2/7 experience. At least the little guy got to go do/see some cool shit with his pops. Will be great memories for him I’m sure since he is probably unaware of all the fuckery at his age.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:39 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:08 pm

I’ll take a story!

Would have loved to see it, but we weren’t really in the path, it was super cloudy here, and we were in for our anatomy scan.
alrighty.. i guess this isnt too long a tale. FYI this is all with my 6 year old son sans mommyunit

1st hiccup: the hotel i booked online was suddenly, and shadly, requiring a CASH $250 deposit via notice on a paper sign. There were 15 hotels in the area so I :nope: ed out of that one.

buttt..... this is a BIG deal event kinda in middle of not much clarksville, TN. ~1.5 hour drive west to eclipse. I was not the only one with this idea. I tired booking like 3 rooms online that kept being rejected before walking into 3 different hotels before fining a (smoking, yuk) room. Thankfully room was not gross. BUT i went from ~70 for a room to...260. Yuk. BUT I just KNEW I was literally going to be robbed at that other place. So in another way I saved 320-260=60 bucks. ANYWAY...

Next step...dinner. I planned to go to a little distillery for a drink and dinner. Place was yuge, had decent whiskey BTW. (old glory) They told me 20-30 minute wait. Had some outdoor activities for me and kid. Ok no biggie. I notice half the tables are not being used. This is annoying esp when i get the next bit of information.

40 minutes pass. alright, i get it, busy. 50. 1 hour. 1 hour 20, kid is officially restless. I'm shocked he lasted that long. I check in to server ... "oh we have to seat reservations before you and we were fully booked" Well that would have been fucking useful information an hour and a half ago, so I bought a bottle of hooch (it really was totes decent at $45) and went on my way to... get gas. Then the Taco bell, where i got the saddest tacobell meal ive ever had that I ate sadly in my overpriced hotel.

Next day we get going around 830, hotel breakfast is trash so i plant to hit a cracker barrel about an hour away from destination if not too packed. Basically had a repeat experience of night before, tons of empty tables in a not so busy restaurant that took an hour to be sat at for highly meadorcore food.

On to mountaindew park for the event!
got to see our electric future:

Event itself was cool. They had activities for the kids which was main driver for going here vs some random parking lot. Not bad fo $15 a person.
Other than minor toddler meltdown ~4 mins before totality (which almost resulted in a corresponding adult meltdown you little shit im doing 14+ hours of driving to see this 4 minute once in a lifetime event with you) It was great.
Cellphones hate taking pics of the sun. memories are up here :doe: :smrt:

Then the drive home.... oh the drive home. I-24's average speed had to be under 20mph before I finally was able to divert around at ft. campbell. It took 3 hours to go like 50 miles. Then, perfect timing a yuge thunderstorm popped up with hail (no damage thank goodness) as I'm trying to navigate this strange city, at night. GPS puts me back on 24, which i had to deal with more 20mph traffic until next exit where I took a US highway to nashville. After that interstates were fine, but it was 9 cst at this point and I still had an hour to loos to get back to est. Rolled into the driveway at 1am, a full 10 hours after leaving Marion, IL.

I was understandably a little late to work tuesday :lolol: (but i warned them that was a possibility)
Which bottle did you buy? I need details on the bourbon
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:41 pm

alrighty.. i guess this isnt too long a tale. FYI this is all with my 6 year old son sans mommyunit

1st hiccup: the hotel i booked online was suddenly, and shadly, requiring a CASH $250 deposit via notice on a paper sign. There were 15 hotels in the area so I :nope: ed out of that one.

buttt..... this is a BIG deal event kinda in middle of not much clarksville, TN. ~1.5 hour drive west to eclipse. I was not the only one with this idea. I tired booking like 3 rooms online that kept being rejected before walking into 3 different hotels before fining a (smoking, yuk) room. Thankfully room was not gross. BUT i went from ~70 for a room to...260. Yuk. BUT I just KNEW I was literally going to be robbed at that other place. So in another way I saved 320-260=60 bucks. ANYWAY...

Next step...dinner. I planned to go to a little distillery for a drink and dinner. Place was yuge, had decent whiskey BTW. (old glory) They told me 20-30 minute wait. Had some outdoor activities for me and kid. Ok no biggie. I notice half the tables are not being used. This is annoying esp when i get the next bit of information.

40 minutes pass. alright, i get it, busy. 50. 1 hour. 1 hour 20, kid is officially restless. I'm shocked he lasted that long. I check in to server ... "oh we have to seat reservations before you and we were fully booked" Well that would have been fucking useful information an hour and a half ago, so I bought a bottle of hooch (it really was totes decent at $45) and went on my way to... get gas. Then the Taco bell, where i got the saddest tacobell meal ive ever had that I ate sadly in my overpriced hotel.

Next day we get going around 830, hotel breakfast is trash so i plant to hit a cracker barrel about an hour away from destination if not too packed. Basically had a repeat experience of night before, tons of empty tables in a not so busy restaurant that took an hour to be sat at for highly meadorcore food.

Event itself was cool. They had activities for the kids which was main driver for going here vs some random parking lot. Not bad fo $15 a person.
Other than minor toddler meltdown ~4 mins before totality (which almost resulted in a corresponding adult meltdown you little shit im doing 14+ hours of driving to see this 4 minute once in a lifetime event with you) It was great.

Then the drive home.... oh the drive home. I-24's average speed had to be under 20mph before I finally was able to divert around at ft. campbell. It took 3 hours to go like 50 miles. Then, perfect timing a yuge thunderstorm popped up with hail (no damage thank goodness) as I'm trying to navigate this strange city, at night. GPS puts me back on 24, which i had to deal with more 20mph traffic until next exit where I took a US highway to nashville. After that interstates were fine, but it was 9 cst at this point and I still had an hour to loos to get back to est. Rolled into the driveway at 1am, a full 10 hours after leaving Marion, IL.

I was understandably a little late to work tuesday :lolol: (but i warned them that was a possibility)
https://oldglorydistilling.com/bourbon/

Old glory small batch. I had a flight of standard bourbon, tn whiskey, the bonded expressions of those 2, and the single barrel proof bourbon. IMHO the more expensive expressions were not markedly better than the regular stuff. The bonded / single barrel proof just needs more time in the barrel, but they are new and one cannot accelerate time sooooo.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:53 pm
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:41 pm

Old glory small batch. I had a flight of standard bourbon, tn whiskey, the bonded expressions of those 2, and the single barrel proof bourbon. IMHO the more expensive expressions were not markedly better than the regular stuff. The bonded / single barrel proof just needs more time in the barrel, but they are new and one cannot accelerate time sooooo.
Those newer small distilleries are cool, but they don’t have years of inventory sitting in rickhouses like the big guys. They’re so hit or miss with their age that I don’t really take a chance on them anymore. I’m hoping they stick around because if they start putting out some 10 yr stuff in the future it could be really cool.

A single barrel from a young distillery like that is taking a chance. Better to blend their barrels for a more balance flavor profile, especially since they’re so young. They’re gonna taste grainy and give off more heat than their proof.

I want to make my own whiskey, but then I think about storing the barrel in my garage for 10 years, then opening it only for it to suck!! Probably would suck ass.

What do you normally drink bourbon wise?
Desertbreh

Opportunism has no boundaries. Ridiculous but much cooler than going to Disneyland.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:01 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:53 pm

Those newer small distilleries are cool, but they don’t have years of inventory sitting in rickhouses like the big guys. They’re so hit or miss with their age that I don’t really take a chance on them anymore. I’m hoping they stick around because if they start putting out some 10 yr stuff in the future it could be really cool.

A single barrel from a young distillery like that is taking a chance. Better to blend their barrels for a more balance flavor profile, especially since they’re so young. They’re gonna taste grainy and give off more heat than their proof.

I want to make my own whiskey, but then I think about storing the barrel in my garage for 10 years, then opening it only for it to suck!! Probably would suck ass.

What do you normally drink bourbon wise?
Ima heaven hill guy, white label is totally decent to sip on for the price, and larceny, 4 roses, etc etc are all very good pours. Their bonded bourbon that can be had for 50 bucks is better than anything buffalo trace, if you can find it, for 50 bucks, IMHO of course.

But Im no snob i will drink pretty much any alcohol flavored alcohol. Except for cheap tequila, yall can keep that shit.
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:04 pm Opportunism has no boundaries. Ridiculous but much cooler than going to Disneyland.
Right? I guess it could have been so much worse. The kid, FWIW, claims to have had "a lot of fun with daddy" so I'll chalk that in the W column.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

FWIW that is illegal.

That said, approximately 0.00000% of these craft distilleries were started by guys that never before in their life ran a mash through a still. Just dont be running barrels of shine and tax man prob gonna leave you be.

And craft whiskey aging is a thing... you can get smaller barrels, use wood staves for increased surface area, use a fridge / heater to force more temperature cycles in your container, etc etc. I may or may not know people that dabble in such things.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:28 pm

FWIW that is illegal.

That said, approximately 0.00000% of these craft distilleries were started by guys that never before in their life ran a mash through a still. Just dont be running barrels of shine and tax man prob gonna leave you be.

And craft whiskey aging is a thing... you can get smaller barrels, use wood staves for increased surface area, use a fridge / heater to force more temperature cycles in your container, etc etc. I may or may not know people that dabble in such things.
I break the law all the time. So I have little concern for that.

I’ve sipped a few home distilled bourbons like you’re mentioning above. It’s kinda eh. Maybe I’m more of a bourbon snob than you.

HHs BnB is solid as fuck. I buy it every time I see it on the shelf. It’s a go to for when I have someone who doesn’t know if they like bourbon to pour them.

I’m a Jim guy myself: knob creek (currently have a few SPs and an 18 year sitting on the shelf), and bookers line nails my flavor profile to a tee (have had every batch every quarter for the last five years)(beaten biscuits being a show stopper. IYKYK)
SAWCE

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:45 pm

FWIW that is illegal.

I’ve sipped a few home distilled bourbons like you’re mentioning above. It’s kinda eh. Maybe I’m more of a bourbon snob than you.

HHs BnB is solid as fuck. I buy it every time I see it on the shelf. It’s a go to for when I have someone who doesn’t know if they like bourbon to pour them.

I’m a Jim guy myself: knob creek (currently have a few SPs and an 18 year sitting on the shelf), and bookers line nails my flavor profile to a tee (have had every batch every quarter for the last five years)(beaten biscuits being a show stopper. IYKYK)
I got something I’d like to beat your biscuits with :gay:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I’ll take a story!

Would have loved to see it, but we weren’t really in the path, it was super cloudy here, and we were in for our anatomy scan.

5/7 story :lolol:

Such a nice picture of pre versus post COVID America.

2017 or whenever totality, wife and I booked a :fancy: hotel in Greenville, SC for free with points (spent like $140 or some normal amount equivalent in points). We had no plans other than maybe walk around/go to the top of a parking deck. Stumbled across a roof top bar having an event that was certainly full but reasonable, got sat sans resi on a couch around a fire pit with some very pleasant randos, bought normally priced apps and drinks, had a great time, drove home in 90 minutes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:45 pm

FWIW that is illegal.

I can't imagine the Charlotte PD is going to come bust you up for making some booze for personal consumption :lolol: 10 years is definitely a long wait though, talk about hyping something up!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I’ll take a story!

Looks like the hotel you described reminds me of my first hotel :yikes: because of working there, it makes me :nope: out of extended stays. Shit like that like "smoking room" amongst many other things made me leave that shithole. The gm doesnt really give a fuck as shes not getting canned from it seems like.

As a single unmarried male, seeing the restaurant like that, I'd probably raise hell considering if I havent found any other restaurant

This is a crazy story but a very good read.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

3 days till Commiefornia!!
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
SAWCE

Added some avocado to my steak/eggs/kimchi. Bomb. Helped mellow out the kimchi a bit.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

More :truckyeah: greatness VW style.

Over the last couple weekends the Blue Meanie hauled 22 bags of mulch, 78 paver blocks, 4 - 2 x 4 x 10's, 15 - 2 x 4 x 8's, 15 - 3/4 x 6 x 6's, 7 - 3/4 x 6 x 8's for a couple of upcoming springtime projects.

Honestly, who besides tradespeople really "need" a :truk: for the vast majority of time.

Donning flame suit in 3...2...1...
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh

wap wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:58 am More :truckyeah: greatness VW style.

Over the last couple weekends the Blue Meanie hauled 22 bags of mulch, 78 paver blocks, 4 - 2 x 4 x 10's, 15 - 2 x 4 x 8's, 15 - 3/4 x 6 x 6's, 7 - 3/4 x 6 x 8's for a couple of upcoming springtime projects.

Honestly, who besides tradespeople really "need" a :truk: for the vast majority of time.

Because you can't put the Screaming Eagle of Freedom in the back window of a Citroen Ron.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:13 am
wap wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:58 am More :truckyeah: greatness VW style.

Because you can't put the Screaming Eagle of Freedom in the back window of a Citroen Ron.
:disgust:
wap

Also, it's a Peugeot, but there's bound to be an eagle in there somewhere, probably. :lol:

SAWCE

wap wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:30 am Also, it's a Peugeot, but there's bound to be an eagle in there somewhere, probably. :lol:

Almost all skateboard brand stickers. Bet that poser doesn’t even skate :lol: Anti-hero used eagles in some of their logos, he just might have an eagle on there after all.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Oh I forgot I went to go see Bert Kreischer (AKA THE MACHINE) last saturday too, show was HILARIOUS.

he went to a popular knoxville spot and left this review that the place is quite proud of:

wap

SAWCE wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:35 am
wap wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:30 am Also, it's a Peugeot, but there's bound to be an eagle in there somewhere, probably. :lol:

Almost all skateboard brand stickers. Bet that poser doesn’t even skate :lol: Anti-hero used eagles in some of their logos, he just might have an eagle on there after all.
There you go!
:sawce: :fax: :like:
SAWCE

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:39 am Oh I forgot I went to go see Bert Kreischer (AKA THE MACHINE) last saturday too, show was HILARIOUS.

he went to a popular knoxville spot and left this review that the place is quite proud of:

:lolol: great review.
Desertbreh

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:39 am Oh I forgot I went to go see Bert Kreischer (AKA THE MACHINE) last saturday too, show was HILARIOUS.

:like:
SAWCE

Sitting on this grand jury selection this morning. Went into it initially hoping I won’t get selected, but checked and as a .gov employee I get full paid time off for any time spent on a jury. As a grand juror I’d be in the courtroom every week day for four weeks. I’ll take four weeks of paid leave from work lol.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:45 pm Sitting on this grand jury selection this morning. Went into it initially hoping I won’t get selected, but checked and as a .gov employee I get full paid time off for any time spent on a jury. As a grand juror I’d be in the courtroom every week day for four weeks. I’ll take four weeks of paid leave from work lol.
How will your work get done?

Oh right... .gov they will figure it out :lol: