DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:06 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:58 pm

????? On the hack squat sled?
Yessir. I’ll snap a pic of my set up on Sunday.
Much appreciated
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:10 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:48 pm Interesting. So when you started out on these you needed a band to get back up?
Affirmative, I would get knee pain without some form of assistance when I started doing these and some of the other movements in the program. Also keep in mind this variation is only done after a thorough warmup, you want those knees nice and warm and a decent pump in the quads before you tackle these.
Got it.

Thanks a lot for all of this stuff. I'm going to get to work on those Nordic Hammy curls pronto.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:14 pm Got it.

Thanks a lot for all of this stuff. I'm going to get to work on those Nordic Hammy curls pronto.
Be sure to start slowly with those too, they will REALLY yank on your knee if you've never done them before. Have fun! Nothing makes folks' eyes pop at the gym like dominating a Nordic hamstring curl.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:40 pm

Be sure to start slowly with those too, they will REALLY yank on your knee if you've never done them before. Have fun! Nothing makes folks' eyes pop at the gym like dominating a Nordic hamstring curl.
:like:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I do three squat movements in my leg day: squat, hack squat, leg press. I take advantage of doing three to change my foot positioning for them. On the actual squat (I’ll be using a pendulum squat at my new gym) I’ve been taking a wider stance to get more adductor involved. Definitely has been helping add some size to my legs especially when viewed from the front and back. Hack squat I go more neutral/hip width, and leg press I’ve been doing a narrow/inside hip width stance. Can definitely feel the tension shift to different parts of my quads moving from one movement and position to the next.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dbl post
Last edited by coogles on Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:05 pm

That looks like fun indeed. Seems like it's really working though!

:fuckyeah:
Thanks dude. I think so! This training program has been really fun, challenging me in new ways and getting me to completely stop worrying about how much weight is on the bar, and instead focusing on owning what weight I'm using through a full range. My quality of movement feels night and day different from 6 months ago.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:11 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:06 pm

Yessir. I’ll snap a pic of my set up on Sunday.
Much appreciated
So for this particular hack squat machine, I had to loop the band under the bar on the moving sled, and then I hooked each end to the top post. Others I’ve had to do the opposite and loop around the post and hook each end of the band to the bar on the sled.

SAWCE

Carbs bumped up another 100g over the last few weeks. Partly because of the stairs in the new townhouse that have me burning extra cake every day. Current daily intake on training days is ~525g carbs :lolol: cArBS MaKE YoU Fat!!
Non training days will be about 400g carbs since I won’t have my 25g pre-workout, 50g intra-workout, and 50g post workout.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:39 am
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:11 pm

Much appreciated
So for this particular hack squat machine, I had to loop the band under the bar on the moving sled, and then I hooked each end to the top post. Others I’ve had to do the opposite and loop around the post and hook each end of the band to the bar on the sled.

My apologies for not noting this. GOT IT tks dood.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:40 pm

These things are fucking great. HUGE new boost to the leg workout. I put them between goblet squats and leg press and I'm impressed how they trash the hammy and put more stress on the quad during presses.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:16 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:39 am

My apologies for not noting this. GOT IT tks dood.
No worries! Hope it helps to find a way to reverse band the one at your gym. The difference that it’s made for me is unreal.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:17 am These things are fucking great. HUGE new boost to the leg workout. I put them between goblet squats and leg press and I'm impressed how they trash the hammy and put more stress on the quad during presses.
:fuckyeah:

:wub: me a good Nordic session. I'll be hitting them tomorrow, actually.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I’m typically in the 400-500 grams/day of carbs as well :fatty:
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:49 pm I’m typically in the 400-500 grams/day of carbs as well :fatty:
:mahman:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Pulled 465 for a double and then a single this morning.

Overall I'm still making progress but its slowing. Feeling my shape change in a good way still tho so sticking to it. Really want to get my 3 plate bench this year. I think I'm going to have to alter my programing some away from the 531 boring but big and instead do a light day to continue making gains. Honestly, I have not even been doing the volume as much as I should, its been just too hard to recover from and still add weight to the bar. But being lazy about doing 2 movements a session is also not helping lol

Oh and I am up to being able to do 5 whole ass pullups. :nice:
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:29 am Pulled 465 for a double and then a single this morning.

Overall I'm still making progress but its slowing. Feeling my shape change in a good way still tho so sticking to it. Really want to get my 3 plate bench this year. I think I'm going to have to alter my programing some away from the 531 boring but big and instead do a light day to continue making gains. Honestly, I have not even been doing the volume as much as I should, its been just too hard to recover from and still add weight to the bar. But being lazy about doing 2 movements a session is also not helping lol

At a certain point you also just hit your natural max. I did 531 and a bunch of other programs for YEARS and was never able to bench or squat more than 275. I just can't without drugs or perhaps if I gained a shit ton of weight but that isn't worth it to me.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:09 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:29 am Pulled 465 for a double and then a single this morning.

At a certain point you also just hit your natural max. I did 531 and a bunch of other programs for YEARS and was never able to bench or squat more than 275. I just can't without drugs or perhaps if I gained a shit ton of weight but that isn't worth it to me.
Yea, just depends on goals. I'm not overly concerned with weight, just trying to maintain right now and continue converting bad weight to good weight. Its still working for now, and I have some solid legs. I also have terrible genetics, so I can always add more chemical assistants if desired; for now I'm still making progress so those supplements will be limited to keeping me in the 'normal' range.

I really just need to get back to doing two movements a session. I've been really slacking on that front. Until last week it was still well diggers ass cold in the basement in the mornings so less motivation than usual.
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I think I've only done flat barbell bench twice since the gyms closed in early 2020. :doomed: My shoulders are so much happier and my chest looks exactly the same. Go figure.

I got SO close to hitting a full range, raw unassisted Nordic on Sunday. I was able to pop off the floor and just couldn't quite get past that sticking point, but it's right there. I think another 2,3,4 weeks and I'll be there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:00 pm I think I've only done flat barbell bench twice since the gyms closed in early 2020. :doomed: My shoulders are so much happier and my chest looks exactly the same. Go figure.

I got SO close to hitting a full range, raw unassisted Nordic on Sunday. I was able to pop off the floor and just couldn't quite get past that sticking point, but it's right there. I think another 2,3,4 weeks and I'll be there.
:lolol: I have found similar on a lot of things. I don't really do much heavy bar bell stuff anymore and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference in looks. I'm definitely weaker but :aintcare: My legs are strong for what I want to do with them and my upper body strength is still well more than average. I do think the years of power lifting built a solid foundation :doe: , now it seems pretty easy to maintain upper body with a few pretty basic lifting sessions a week.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:23 pm
coogles wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:00 pm I think I've only done flat barbell bench twice since the gyms closed in early 2020. :doomed: My shoulders are so much happier and my chest looks exactly the same. Go figure.

:lolol: I have found similar on a lot of things. I don't really do much heavy bar bell stuff anymore and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference in looks. I'm definitely weaker but :aintcare: My legs are strong for what I want to do with them and my upper body strength is still well more than average. I do think the years of power lifting built a solid foundation :doe: , now it seems pretty easy to maintain upper body with a few pretty basic lifting sessions a week.
When was the last time you saw a powerlifter you really wanted to look like? Barbell training has its place but for most of us washed up dudes pushing or past 40 there are better tools. Flat barbell bench is pretty trash for overall athleticism anyway. The way you have to lock your scaps down and together on the bench completely negates the natural movement of the shoulder and creates tight lats. Try to throw a punch while doing that, it'll be hilarious.

My ability to overhead press has improved tremendously over these last couple years and now I'm playing around once a week with handstands. It's good fun. Some people are great at the flat barbell bench but I, with fairly narrow shoulders and longish arms for my height, am not. I do a lot of dips now, some full range incline dumbbell presses, have some fun with cable flys and presses were I can really get some good abduction across the chest, and call it good.
SAWCE

I barely do any barbell work these days. For developing size, the barbell is highly overrated. Like Coogs said, you shoulders will generally be happier once you ditch it.

It is fun to play around with here and there as a strength test though.
SAWCE

Put 5 plates on each side of the bar last week for rack deadlifts and pulled 6 reps after my first two working sets of 455x12 and 475x9 with a failed attempt at a 10th rep on that second set.

Psyching myself up to get that 495 for 7-8 reps tomorrow.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:12 pm Put 5 plates on each side of the bar last week for rack deadlifts and pulled 6 reps after my first two working sets of 455x12 and 475x9 with a failed attempt at a 10th rep on that second set.

That's barbell work brah.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:35 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:12 pm Put 5 plates on each side of the bar last week for rack deadlifts and pulled 6 reps after my first two working sets of 455x12 and 475x9 with a failed attempt at a 10th rep on that second set.

That's barbell work brah.
Haha I realized that after my last post stated I basically don’t do any barbell work. It’s one of two barbell movements I do, and both are on back day lulz. I guess I do a third of you count EZ bar curls on arm day.