DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:55 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:43 pm

:impressive: :massles:

Did you poop your pants :doe: ?
I definitely shit my pants a little bit pulling 475 for a double this week. :aintcare: #homegym
475 is :nice: good shit man. I pulled 455 for a double a month or two back, then failed going for the 495. Haven’t had pulling from the floor programmed into my training in a few years, so I lost some of that initial explosive strength to get it moving, but I was very happy with the 455 considering that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:02 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:55 pm

I definitely shit my pants a little bit pulling 475 for a double this week. :aintcare: #homegym
475 is :nice: good shit man. I pulled 455 for a double a month or two back, then failed going for the 495. Haven’t had pulling from the floor programmed into my training in a few years, so I lost some of that initial explosive strength to get it moving, but I was very happy with the 455 considering that.
Yeah that is wicked dece regardless. My highest ever was either 385 or 395, can't remember which. Now I can do like maybe 250, but I'll still take it for being a skinny little bitch. Now that I only have PF I only DL on a Smith, it's definitely a tad different and not quite all the way on the floor.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:22 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:02 pm

Yeah that is wicked dece regardless. My highest ever was either 385 or 395, can't remember which. Now I can do like maybe 250, but I'll still take it for being a skinny little bitch. Now that I only have PF I only DL on a Smith, it's definitely a tad different and not quite all the way on the floor.
I think I did some “rack deadlifts” at the PL in Lancaster visiting my parents at some point last year. :notbad: set up pulling from just an inch or two below the bottom of my knee. I actually don’t mind PF in general, been keeping that cheap $10/month membership around just in case.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:22 pm

I think I did some “rack deadlifts” at the PL in Lancaster visiting my parents at some point last year. :notbad: set up pulling from just an inch or two below the bottom of my knee. I actually don’t mind PF in general, been keeping that cheap $10/month membership around just in case.
It works for me at this point, they’re clean, consistent, good bang for buck and they’re all over the place which is nice now that I’m on the road again. I loved the YMCA and they’re all over the USA too but 5+X the price is tough to swallow. If I ever decide to actually learn swimming and attempt an Ironman like I’d like to, I may go for the Y again though.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Got a 400lb 1RM squat today. feels good man.

Guess next up is the 300lb bench. I'm at 275 now so I think thats probably a couple-three months out at this rate. Then i'll have that 500/400/300.

the 200 lb press probably going to take lots longer, my press has been poopoo and iat a true 1rm of 155 at the moment; been stuck there a couple months.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:28 am Got a 400lb 1RM squat today. feels good man.

Guess next up is the 300lb bench. I'm at 275 now so I think thats probably a couple-three months out at this rate. Then i'll have that 500/400/300.

the 200 lb press probably going to take lots longer, my press has been poopoo and iat a true 1rm of 155 at the moment; been stuck there a couple months.
:fuckyeah: 400 squat feels awesome.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

These narrow stance slant board squats are something, y'all.

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

coogles wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:58 pm These narrow stance slant board squats are something, y'all.

my acl, mcl, just all the x-cl's in my knees looking at me look at this picture:

brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Found a dope gym up here. Caters to both bodybuilding and powerlifting. O’Malley’s. Lots of newer Arsenal and Legend equipment, plus some older Nautilus and Hammer Strength stuff. Wall with pictures of everyone who lifts there and competes, a handful of big ass dudes who I’ll be able to use to stay motivated and growing. It’s a bit of a drive ~20 miles from our spot, but well worth the gas and time spent to get there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Nice man! That is quite a commute :doe: at least the slanty H is efficient :lolol:

I'm surprisingly satisfied with my Planet Shitness membership these days, although I've added in some squats and the Smiths are kinda meh for that IMO.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:31 am Nice man! That is quite a commute :doe: at least the slanty H is efficient :lolol:

I'm surprisingly satisfied with my Planet Shitness membership these days, although I've added in some squats and the Smiths are kinda meh for that IMO.
There’s another gym out west that’s only a 10 mile commute, but with traffic it takes just as long to get there. I’ll probably check it out next week at some point and sign up there too so I have options. But yeah, the drive to the 20 mile gym is 95% freeway and minimal traffic so I don’t mind it. Gas here is also a full $2/gallon cheaper than it was in SD :fuckyeah: plus I have a fitness center on-site for my morning cardio, so no more driving to the gym 2x a day makes it easy to justify the further drive for my lifting sessions.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:53 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:31 am Nice man! That is quite a commute :doe: at least the slanty H is efficient :lolol:

There’s another gym out west that’s only a 10 mile commute, but with traffic it takes just as long to get there. I’ll probably check it out next week at some point and sign up there too so I have options. But yeah, the drive to the 20 mile gym is 95% freeway and minimal traffic so I don’t mind it. Gas here is also a full $2/gallon cheaper than it was in SD :fuckyeah: plus I have a fitness center on-site for my morning cardio, so no more driving to the gym 2x a day makes it easy to justify the further drive for my lifting sessions.
Fitness center on prem is a sweet perk. I'm sure it's far from all you need for BBing, but it allows for a quick cardio sesh, lift, etc. when in a time crunch.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:00 am my acl, mcl, just all the x-cl's in my knees looking at me look at this picture:
Ha regress to progress, man. When I first started doing these I wasn't even doing bodyweight, I was either holding onto a band from a pullup bar above me or supporting myself with my hands on the rack. Yesterday's last set was with 95lbs on the bar and 90lbs of chains for a set of 5. It's amazing what attacking the body's weaknesses will do.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:54 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:00 am my acl, mcl, just all the x-cl's in my knees looking at me look at this picture:
Ha regress to progress, man. When I first started doing these I wasn't even doing bodyweight, I was either holding onto a band from a pullup bar above me or supporting myself with my hands on the rack. Yesterday's last set was with 95lbs on the bar and 90lbs of chains for a set of 5. It's amazing what attacking the body's weaknesses will do.
So those are ass to grass front squats? Those quads and hammies are looking pretty :jimp: my man.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:02 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:54 am

So those are ass to grass front squats? Those quads and hammies are looking pretty :jimp: my man.
Yessir, my ass touches my heels at the bottom. Cheeks to sneaks as my coach always says, total hamstring over calf coverage. You have very little leverage in that range, hence the use of chains or bands to progressively add load as you come out of the hole.

And thanks brotha. I put on size more easily in my legs than my upper body to begin with, but this stuff has really taken that up a notch. Credit the nordic hamstring curls for my hammy development, though. Like many I didn't emphasize my posterior chain enough when I started lifting. I'm getting pretty close to being able to do a full unassisted Nordic from flat ground now. Considering where I started that's insane.
SAWCE

Bands and chains are so great for fixing the resistance curve of squatting movements. I put bands in the top of the hack squat so the bottom portion deloads and then then weight gets heavier as I push through the movement. Makes my knees so much less angry and helps me keep tension in my quads the whole time
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Ass to grass indeed.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:52 pm Bands and chains are so great for fixing the resistance curve of squatting movements. I put bands in the top of the hack squat so the bottom portion deloads and then then weight gets heavier as I push through the movement. Makes my knees so much less angry and helps me keep tension in my quads the whole time
????? On the hack squat sled?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:52 pm Bands and chains are so great for fixing the resistance curve of squatting movements. I put bands in the top of the hack squat so the bottom portion deloads and then then weight gets heavier as I push through the movement. Makes my knees so much less angry and helps me keep tension in my quads the whole time
Absolutely. I don't play with reverse bands much, maybe I should. I prefer the effect of adding bands from below to help with deceleration. Being a goaltender, being able to decelerate/stop is even more important than being explosive.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:58 pm Image

Ass to grass indeed.
Interesting. I finish goblet squats with 3 sets of 95X 5. but they are shoulder width, toes pointed out. What makes this exponentially harder, the narrow foot positioning, the heel raise, or both?
Last edited by Desertbreh on Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:58 pm Image

Ass to grass indeed.
That looks like fun indeed. Seems like it's really working though!

:fuckyeah:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:01 pm Interesting. I finish goblet squats with 3 sets of 95X 5. but they are shoulder width, toes pointed out. What makes this exponentially harder, the narrow foot positioning, the heel raise, or both?
All of the above, really. Having that much heel elevation allows for more range of motion, which narrows the angle at the knee and reduces the amount of leverage your muscles have on the joint. It takes away some of the glute activation, which focuses the tension on the VMO. The program hits the glutes and hams in other ways instead.

I do throw in a couple sets of wider stance/borderline sumo squats to finish things off once per week. I like the stretch and contraction I get through the adductors and into the hips with those to compliment the narrow stance squats.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:13 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:01 pm Interesting. I finish goblet squats with 3 sets of 95X 5. but they are shoulder width, toes pointed out. What makes this exponentially harder, the narrow foot positioning, the heel raise, or both?
All of the above, really. Having that much heel elevation allows for more range of motion, which narrows the angle at the knee and reduces the amount of leverage your muscles have on the joint. It takes away some of the glute activation, which focuses the tension on the VMO. The program hits the glutes and hams in other ways instead.

I do throw in a couple sets of wider stance/borderline sumo squats to finish things off once per week. I like the stretch and contraction I get through the adductors and into the hips with those to compliment the narrow stance squats.

Interesting. So when you started out on these you needed a band to get back up?
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:58 pm
????? On the hack squat sled?
Yessir. I’ll snap a pic of my set up on Sunday.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:48 pm Interesting. So when you started out on these you needed a band to get back up?
Affirmative, I would get knee pain without some form of assistance when I started doing these and some of the other movements in the program. Also keep in mind this variation is only done after a thorough warmup, you want those knees nice and warm and a decent pump in the quads before you tackle these.