DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:34 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:13 pm

Bingo.
DC meal prep is complete. 4 beef meals, 8 chicken shakes (7 frozen so I can bring them in a cooler as my “personal item” on the flight, 1 in the fridge so I can grab and go and drink it on the way to the airport in the morning, and 8 servings of whey all portioned out. Gives me 5 of my 6 daily meals, and then I’ll eat dinner with the team every night.
Just a regular fella with a toothbrush. No beef locker. These are not the droids you are looking for.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

This last week was a bit of a bust with travel and hitting some extra meals with Michelle while I was home to make up for time spent gone.. weight has stalled out at 230.X. I’d like to think I look a little leaner than two weeks ago when I hit this weight, so may have dropped a touch of fat and the drugs may be doing their thing with building muscle.. either way, gonna tighten the diet up a little more this week, and I’m upping cardio from 20 to 25 minutes. Slowly adding reps to my sets in the gym, which is why I believe some recomp at this weight may be happening. Gear doses are still low at 200mg test and 80mg deca. I’ll keep this fat loss plan going through the rest of this training block, then it’ll be time to slowly reintroduce carbs, and I’ll up my doses. Probably move to 300mg test, 120mg deca, and add in 150mg-ish of masteron to make sure my estrogen doesn’t get too high with the higher test and deca doses.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Been feeling absolutely wrecked last 2 weeks (food poisoning / allergies), but still waking up in the mornings and doing the thing most days. Hit a 315x5, 365 x 2, and a 385 single for squats today, and 245 bench for a double yesterday.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:fuckyeah: :massles:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Started tracking my calories again this week... The diet just hasn't been where it should be of late. Been continuing onward with 2X/week lifting. I'm typically doing one heavier sesh in the Planet Fitness and one sesh at a hotel gym or bodyweight stuff at one of the area parks.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

I personally thinking counting calories is for chicks. No offense. I focus on if I’m getting my brotein and fats. Being a home cook also conflicts with my weight loss. Life’s too short to eat the same ground beef every night with the hopes of being 180 lbs instead of 185… just my two cents.

I’ve been hitting a new routine on the weights that I think is helping with my joints and building a good base. Pretty much it’s lesser weight, higher reps, but it just takes forever to finish. My lifting pretty much requires 1.5 to 2 hours on almost consistent movement. It’s great workout, just need the time to do it. I think I’m going to break it up to two sessions on the days I lift. One in the morning and a follow up in the evening.
SAWCE

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:16 pm I personally thinking counting calories is for chicks. No offense. I focus on if I’m getting my brotein and fats. Being a home cook also conflicts with my weight loss. Life’s too short to eat the same ground beef every night with the hopes of being 180 lbs instead of 185… just my two cents.

I’ve been hitting a new routine on the weights that I think is helping with my joints and building a good base. Pretty much it’s lesser weight, higher reps, but it just takes forever to finish. My lifting pretty much requires 1.5 to 2 hours on almost consistent movement. It’s great workout, just need the time to do it. I think I’m going to break it up to two sessions on the days I lift. One in the morning and a follow up in the evening.
I think for gen pop, you’re right about counting calories. Have a protein target that you hit every day, and other than that, just try not to go full :fatty: with your food. Leave the full blown calorie and macro counting to those in the competitive bodybuilding world who need that extra 1% each day to keep inching towards their goals.

If you want to post up your routine I can give it a look over and see if there is a way to streamline it for better efficiency.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

SAWCE wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:09 pm
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:16 pm I personally thinking counting calories is for chicks. No offense. I focus on if I’m getting my brotein and fats. Being a home cook also conflicts with my weight loss. Life’s too short to eat the same ground beef every night with the hopes of being 180 lbs instead of 185… just my two cents.

I think for gen pop, you’re right about counting calories. Have a protein target that you hit every day, and other than that, just try not to go full :fatty: with your food. Leave the full blown calorie and macro counting to those in the competitive bodybuilding world who need that extra 1% each day to keep inching towards their goals.

If you want to post up your routine I can give it a look over and see if there is a way to streamline it for better efficiency.
Tried to type it all out:

Reps of the following
20 lbs dumbbell in each hand
Hammer curls
Overhead press
Bent over rows
30 each, 2 min rest
25 each, 2 min rest
20 each, 2 min rest
15 each, 2 min rest (repeat this until you have over 150 each)(so 5 reps at 15 each)

135 lbs on the bench:
15 reps military style, followed by 15 hammer curls of the 20 lbs, then 2 min rest..
10 reps, followed by 15 hammer curls, and a 2 min rest (X 5 sets)

Reduce weight to 115 lbs
Repeat the above reps
15 reps military style, followed by 15 hammer curls of the 20 lbs in each hand, then 2 min rest..
10 reps, followed by 15 hammer curls, and a 2 min rest (X5)

Reduce weight to 95 lbs
Repeat the above reps
15 reps military style, followed by 15 hammer curls of the 20 lbs in each hand, then 2 min rest..

End with 3 sets of repping 95 lbs to exhaustion +1 with a 3.5 minute break between sets. For this, it’s best to have a spotter because you’re going to rep until you can’t lift it again, take three deep breaths and do another rep. It’s a mental thing.

Next month I’ll bump the barbell weights up 20 each. So instead of 135, it’ll be 155 to start
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

What in the world would gender have to do with counting calories or not?
SAWCE

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:45 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:09 pm

Reps of the following
Hammer curls
Overhead press
Bent over rows
30 each, 2 min rest
25 each, 2 min rest
20 each, 2 min rest
15 each, 2 min rest (repeat this until you have over 150 each)(so 5 reps at 15 each)

135 lbs on the bench:
15 reps military style, followed by 15 hammer curls of the 20 lbs, then 2 min rest..

Reduce weight to 115 lbs
Repeat the above reps

Reduce weight to 95 lbs
Repeat the above reps

End with 3 sets of repping 95 lbs to exhaustion +1 with a 3.5 minute break between sets. For this, it’s best to have a spotter because you’re going to rep until you can’t lift it again, take three deep breaths and do another rep. It’s a mental thing.

Next month I’ll bump the barbell weights up 20 each. So instead of 135, it’ll be 155 to start
Headed to airport, will review and offer any insight I can a bit later :thumbsup: before I get to that point, what would you say your goal with the weight lifting is, as that will impact what direction I would lean towards with it.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:14 pm What in the world would gender have to do with counting calories or not?
I guess your gay
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

SAWCE wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:14 pm
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:45 pm

Reps of the following
Hammer curls
Overhead press
Bent over rows
30 each, 2 min rest
25 each, 2 min rest
20 each, 2 min rest

135 lbs on the bench:

Reduce weight to 115 lbs
Repeat the above reps

Reduce weight to 95 lbs
Repeat the above reps

Headed to airport, will review and offer any insight I can a bit later :thumbsup: before I get to that point, what would you say your goal with the weight lifting is, as that will impact what direction I would lean towards with it.
I guess just to tone up and look swole. I worry about my joints getting older and I won’t be able to maintain heavier weight. Like if I bench 500 lbs now, no way I can consistently maintain that at 65. So somewhere between meathead levels and not weak.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:18 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:14 pm What in the world would gender have to do with counting calories or not?
I guess your gay
At least I passed middle school English :doe:
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:29 pm
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:18 pm

I guess your gay
Had to suck a dick to do it
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

MULTIPLE SHOTS FIRED!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE

:lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sick burns all around!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:31 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:29 pm

I think it's pretty well documented via Lake Lure trips that I will suck a dick for the right price. It wasn't needed to pass K-12 though.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:01 pm
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:31 pm

I think it's pretty well documented via Lake Lure trips that I will suck a dick for the right price. It wasn't needed to pass K-12 though.
Didn’t you go to catholic school?
SAWCE

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:24 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:14 pm

I guess just to tone up and look swole. I worry about my joints getting older and I won’t be able to maintain heavier weight. Like if I bench 500 lbs now, no way I can consistently maintain that at 65. So somewhere between meathead levels and not weak.
The toning will come lower body fat levels, so you’ll have to remove a testicle and wear a dress one day a week and count a few calories :mahlady: Or you can up the cardio to burn some extra cals and just keep eating the same amount.

Swoleness will come via muscle hypertrophy. That is going to be stimulated by training to, or within a few reps of, failure on your working sets. You may put on a little bit of size with your current plan, but I would pull the rep ranges down slightly and bump those weights up a bit, and get more quality reps closer to failure with whatever weight you’re using.

My reasoning for this is two-fold:
First, hitting failure at a lower weight is harder simply because of the pain that will set in. Just for an example, let’s say that “the burn” starts when you’re 75% of the way to failure. If you’re failing at 12 reps, well that pain sets in at rep 9 and you’re pretty close to that failure point. We generally want to see within two reps of failure to grow. If you’re using a weight that you can hit 30 reps with before you fail, that 75% puts you at 22-23 reps, and you have to push through that burning for 5-6 reps to get within a close enough proximity for muscle growth to occur. Much harder for most people to do.

Secondly, since we know that we need to be within that proximity of failure for the reps to be doing anything for growth, all of the reps below that threshold aren’t doing anything for growth, but they are using a lot of energy which builds up as systemic fatigue. Not a huge issue in the short term, but can build up quick and leave you feeling burnt out.

I totally hear your concerns with joints, as I’ve been working through some joint issues and pain myself. The lighter weight/higher reps thing is a double edged sword because while, yes, more weight will put more tension on your joints and the soft tissues like tendons, it also causes a lot more wear over time as they’re used so much more. Finding a balance between the two can be hard.

Preparing to take off now, and I’m too poverty to pay for in-flight WiFi, so I’ll leave you with those thoughts to consider.. but if you think you’re interested, let me know and I can write out a sample plan tomorrow when I’m home. You can give it a test run for a week or however long and see if you like it better than you’re doing now, but I think I could get you through a workout in an hour or less.