Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:00 pm:sad:
My cars...

Focus: Rear ended while parked, annhiliated the trunk, rear quarter panel, rear bumper, rear suspension. Full rebuild. Then it was backed into so many times the front bumper flaked all its paint off. Lost 2 side mirrors while parked, found them hanging off the car, separate incidents. Destroyed 2 17" wheels and both rear wheel bearings and brake cylinders due to potholes.

GTI: Backed into by multiple trucks which cheese gratered the front bumper, someone hit into the quarter panel and put a massive dent in it, and it was also rear ended on the highway by a Maxima that was texting. 2 bent 17's from potholes.

STI: Run into by a bicycle which cracked the tail light. Egged. Motorcycle hit to the door needing new metal and respray.

Getting anything more than $20k just doesn't make any sense. Even $20k is pretty dumb, but it helps you avoid old car needy bs problems.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:36 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:28 pm I may be a :derp: but I don't see the point for a sedan when it comes to a family. It should always be a hatch or a CUV. Makes way more sense.
Personally I find the form factor of my 328i more useful than my GTI was in most cases... the GTI trunk is tiny and couldn't hold shit for a trip with a family, my current car could easily seat four and the luggage/supplies required for those four. I pretty seldomly buy washers or whatever huge things people around here seem to need hatchbacks for. Actually, I just bought a washer, drier and couch and all were just shipped to our house.
:howdareu: :wasteful: :angrypanda:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:lolol: I just noticed the look angrypanda gives a person at the end of the office rage! I fucking wish that could happen in a corporate setting while I'm there, or better yet with camera phone in hand.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:45 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:43 pm

You're comparing a 162" hatch to a 185" sedan that's not a fair comparison. A rav 4 is 4" shorter than a 3 series and has a trunk that is 3x the size. A rav 4 is also 10" shorter than a comparable camry with 2x the trunk. It makes more sense... You can just stuff more shit into a box vs a trunk.
But the length comparison is irrelevant to me as I don't drive in any tight urban environments.

A GTI and a 328i are two cars I would actually buy - somewhat fun, space for hauling people and shit, practical, fuel efficient - Rav4 misses the mark on most of those other than hauling shit. The length doesn't really degrade from the driving experience/efficiency but the 4X4 box thing absolutely does, so the 328i is the best family car out of those three (for me personally) hands down.
I believe the conversation started as a form factor, not as a what is "fun". I was just making an argument that a hatchback makes sense for someone looking to maximize space. It is far more effective use of space over a sedan.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I do think the hatch setup is kind of too small for a family of four. A Camry is ginormous in comparison, and there would be no seats kicked up and dirtied by kids snowy boots. Back seat room is a legit consideration.

Saying all this we have two cars in our household and my wife likes driving midsized SUVs so it affords me a smaller car. When I pull my child seats out I'm getting really good space utilization which I've used to pickup a drum kit, multiple appliances, bicycles, numerous boxes for weekend work projects, and the list goes on.

I make due with my space and find it is the most versatile. Rav4/CRV does the exact same thing, and not much more.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:50 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:43 pm

You're comparing a 162" hatch to a 185" sedan that's not a fair comparison. A rav 4 is 4" shorter than a 3 series and has a trunk that is 3x the size. A rav 4 is also 10" shorter than a comparable camry with 2x the trunk. It makes more sense... You can just stuff more shit into a box vs a trunk.
A Rav4 with "2x" the trunk of a Camry doesn't matter when you can't put the seats down and have to keep a cover over the cargo which cuts your "trunk" in half, so you're..... back to a Camry size trunk. And the Camry has the added benefit of keeping everything back there no matter what lunacy level you want to partake in driving, and keeps the tire noise out of the cabin.

I realize my use case is different than yours. I live in a city where windows will get smashed if something is visible so the cargo cover stays deployed 24/7.
But haven't you mentioned that the extra 10" in length would make it more difficult to park? Still see 0 use case benefit in a Camry over a Rav4.

Not sure I understood the seats down comment, the cargo capacity was mentioned with seat up.
Johnny_P

Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:02 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:50 pm

A Rav4 with "2x" the trunk of a Camry doesn't matter when you can't put the seats down and have to keep a cover over the cargo which cuts your "trunk" in half, so you're..... back to a Camry size trunk. And the Camry has the added benefit of keeping everything back there no matter what lunacy level you want to partake in driving, and keeps the tire noise out of the cabin.

I realize my use case is different than yours. I live in a city where windows will get smashed if something is visible so the cargo cover stays deployed 24/7.
But haven't you mentioned that the extra 10" in length would make it more difficult to park? Still see 0 use case benefit in a Camry over a Rav4.

Not sure I understood the seats down comment, the cargo capacity was mentioned with seat up.
My 180" sedan is fine to park
max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:01 pm I do think the hatch setup is kind of too small for a family of four. A Camry is ginormous in comparison, and there would be no seats kicked up and dirtied by kids snowy boots. Back seat room is a legit consideration.

Saying all this we have two cars in our household and my wife likes driving midsized SUVs so it affords me a smaller car. When I pull my child seats out I'm getting really good space utilization which I've used to pickup a drum kit, multiple appliances, bicycles, numerous boxes for weekend work projects, and the list goes on.

I make due with my space and find it is the most versatile. Rav4/CRV does the exact same thing, and not much more.
I don't understand the rav 4 has the same rear leg room as the camry?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:05 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:02 pm

We're comparing a 192" camry and a 181" rav 4.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:06 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:05 pm

Who is buying a Camry?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:08 pm

Who is buying a Camry?
We're discussing the form factor of a Rav 4 over a Camry.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:01 pm I do think the hatch setup is kind of too small for a family of four. A Camry is ginormous in comparison, and there would be no seats kicked up and dirtied by kids snowy boots. Back seat room is a legit consideration.

They do? My bad, when I looked into a Rav4 it looked more cramped then a Camry, but I didn't look into leg room on any stat sheets and probably should. I was suggesting that the Camry (edit: and Rav/CRV) have enough leg room to avoid kids boots on the back of the driver seat altogether, unlike my :gorf:

I had an Uber guy pick me up in a newish Camry and I was sprawling out in the back seat, it was :impressive: , that is what got me on that mindset in the first place.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:08 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:08 pm

Who is buying a Camry?
Ah. Yeah I mean I like Ravs. After spending time in one, I like the Camry more. But after spending time in a rental compact Hyundai Elantra which had curiously huge leg room and trunk space, I wonder why you'd need anything larger than today's typical compact sedan.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:12 pm

They do? My bad, when I looked into a Rav4 it looked more cramped then a Camry, but I didn't look into leg room on any stat sheets and probably should. I was suggesting that the Camry (edit: and Rav/CRV) have enough leg room to avoid kids boots on the back of the driver seat altogether, unlike my :gorf:

I had an Uber guy pick me up in a newish Camry and I was sprawling out in the back seat, it was :impressive: , that is what got me on that mindset in the first place.
Makes sense, the Rav4/Camry are much bigger than a golf in the back in particular.
Johnny_P

The new Rav Lisa's parents had as a rental last week was fucking enormous inside.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:13 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:08 pm

Ah. Yeah I mean I like Ravs. After spending time in one, I like the Camry more. But after spending time in a rental compact Hyundai Elantra which had curiously huge leg room and trunk space, I wonder why you'd need anything larger than today's typical compact sedan.
The definition of "compact" and "small" went :fullretard: the current civic is bigger than the 1998-2002 accord etc etc. Cars are "yuge" now...
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:14 pm

The new Rav Lisa's parents had as a rental last week was fucking enormous inside.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:13 pm

Makes sense, the Rav4/Camry are much bigger than a golf in the back in particular.
I underestimated how big the back seat space in the rav is, Nicole is going to have to test drive one before we sign up for the Santa Fe lease this summer. She isn't a fan of its appearance, so it might be moot point. I'm personally a fan of it and would consider one.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:15 pm

Like unnecessarily large. Like 4Runner large. It rolled and swayed like a boat. The Camry was a LOT better to be carted around in.
The Rav didn't hold any more cargo under the cargo cover than a Camry would have in the (more secure and quieter) trunk.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:themoreyouknow:

I'm going to take one for a spin in the near future.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:16 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:15 pm

Like unnecessarily large. Like 4Runner large. It rolled and swayed like a boat. The Camry was a LOT better to be carted around in.
The Rav didn't hold any more cargo under the cargo cover than a Camry would have in the (more secure and quieter) trunk.
That makes sense. The higher up you go the worse it gets. That’s why camrys are grounded to the ground
Johnny_P

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

:notbad: 328i xdrive wagon for $25k, same as a new Civic hatch. Those Civic hatches hold value surprisingly well, used prices are rather high.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:00 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:45 pm

But the length comparison is irrelevant to me as I don't drive in any tight urban environments.

A GTI and a 328i are two cars I would actually buy - somewhat fun, space for hauling people and shit, practical, fuel efficient - Rav4 misses the mark on most of those other than hauling shit. The length doesn't really degrade from the driving experience/efficiency but the 4X4 box thing absolutely does, so the 328i is the best family car out of those three (for me personally) hands down.
I believe the conversation started as a form factor, not as a what is "fun". I was just making an argument that a hatchback makes sense for someone looking to maximize space. It is far more effective use of space over a sedan.
Well, yes a 328i wagon form factor would be more useful than a sedan, but there are very few cars in that form factor. You either get a small hatch like a Golf that is less practical than a 328i sedan to me, or you get Seppuku accelerant Rav4, CRV, etc.

So given vehicles that are actually available to purchase in this country, sedans offer the most practicality for a parent who cares about driving.