So I bought some useless junk recently...

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

razr390 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:25 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:12 pm She's hereeee

Nice! Enjoy it. Invicta is hit or miss with their watches but that one looks solid. They have some things that are unique, others that are straight copies of Rolex etc.

If you get the itch to watch collect, highly recommend looking at a Seiko 5 automatic after.
I enjoy the fitness data from my Garmin too much to not wear it daily but otherwise I’d be in on a Seiko myself. Seems like the most legit in quality, build, and heritage for a mere mortal price tag.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Anyone heard of hex clad? new pans Gordon Ramsey put his name behind.

We bought a ripoff from the jungle site.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PBQJDNF?ps ... ct_details

My review:
We have been using this pan for just about all our cooking for a week and a half, and its doing everything the hex cld brand promises to do at much more reasonable price point. Yes, it wont sear quite was well as a pure stainless pan, and yes, its not quite as non stick as a true non-stick pan... but its a compromise design that works great for what it is IMHO. Time will tell if it proves to be more durable than a typical non-stick, however the raised stainless sections do protect the coating and it won't be able to run and chunk off as easily once the armor is chinked. Also, the cooking utensils that came with this are surprisingly high quality; I figured we would just toss them. They are actually a very nice bonus in this product.
I've only cooked 2 things on it but I like it so far. The wife really likes it.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:19 am Anyone heard of hex clad? new pans Gordon Ramsey put his name behind.

We bought a ripoff from the jungle site.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PBQJDNF?ps ... ct_details

My review:
We have been using this pan for just about all our cooking for a week and a half, and its doing everything the hex cld brand promises to do at much more reasonable price point. Yes, it wont sear quite was well as a pure stainless pan, and yes, its not quite as non stick as a true non-stick pan... but its a compromise design that works great for what it is IMHO. Time will tell if it proves to be more durable than a typical non-stick, however the raised stainless sections do protect the coating and it won't be able to run and chunk off as easily once the armor is chinked. Also, the cooking utensils that came with this are surprisingly high quality; I figured we would just toss them. They are actually a very nice bonus in this product.
I've only cooked 2 things on it but I like it so far. The wife really likes it.
We have some shitty old pans that we almost replaced with hexclad when Costco had a deal on them. May actually grab them the next time they pop up over there.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

We cook absolutely everything in cast iron. No coating to scratch off. Heavy, but indestructible.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:46 am We cook absolutely everything in cast iron. No coating to scratch off. Heavy, but indestructible.
we have stainless and cast iron. fish taste is hard to get out of cast iron sometimes. We really only keep one nonstick pan around, so trying this one out
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
ChrisoftheNorth

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:30 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:46 am We cook absolutely everything in cast iron. No coating to scratch off. Heavy, but indestructible.
we have stainless and cast iron. fish taste is hard to get out of cast iron sometimes. We really only keep one nonstick pan around, so trying this one out
I get that. I've suggested picking up a nonstick pan for that exact reason, but :tits: usually goes :triggered: because she's worried about teflon flaking off (we had bad luck with that in the past).
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

There's all sorts of non-stick options besides cheap teflon. We're waaaaaaay too lazy (and weak, frankly - that shit is heavy) to deal with cast iron and ended up just buying some new pans to work with our new induction stove. These things seem to be working pretty well so far, hard anodized non-stick rated for use in dishwashers and with metal utensils:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/ ... 1047239838

Not that I use metal utensils on them, but I do absolutely run them through the dishwasher. Fuck washing things by hand.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:26 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:30 pm

I get that. I've suggested picking up a nonstick pan for that exact reason, but :tits: usually goes :triggered: because she's worried about teflon flaking off (we had bad luck with that in the past).
well look at this hex clad knock off. its supposed to be better about not chipping due to the raised steel. And if one des start to chip, it cant run away on whole pan.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:33 pm There's all sorts of non-stick options besides cheap teflon. We're waaaaaaay too lazy (and weak, frankly - that shit is heavy) to deal with cast iron and ended up just buying some new pans to work with our new induction stove. These things seem to be working pretty well so far, hard anodized non-stick rated for use in dishwashers and with metal utensils:

Not that I use metal utensils on them, but I do absolutely run them through the dishwasher. Fuck washing things by hand.
:dat: cast iron can yield some great tasting meat and all but it’s such a PITA. We have one but I try to avoid using it unless :tits: 100% insists.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:21 am
Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:33 pm There's all sorts of non-stick options besides cheap teflon. We're waaaaaaay too lazy (and weak, frankly - that shit is heavy) to deal with cast iron and ended up just buying some new pans to work with our new induction stove. These things seem to be working pretty well so far, hard anodized non-stick rated for use in dishwashers and with metal utensils:

:dat: cast iron can yield some great tasting meat and all but it’s such a PITA. We have one but I try to avoid using it unless :tits: 100% insists.
:wat:

It's all I use. Other than being heavy, I don't see how it's worse than anything else. A well seasoned cast iron cleans easier than a "non stick" pan.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

You just have to put a little water in the pan after you've cooked and it's still hot.......all the shit comes right off.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I'm pretty indifferent on the cast iron/nonstick debate, but what I don't understand is the bare stainless stuff.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:18 pm I'm pretty indifferent on the cast iron/nonstick debate, but what I don't understand is the bare stainless stuff.
The deep ones are great for boiling pasta.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:41 am

It's all I use. Other than being heavy, I don't see how it's worse than anything else. A well seasoned cast iron cleans easier than a "non stick" pan.
Cast iron apologists all make this claim but it’s very far from my experience. Non stick is clean as a whistle in the dishwasher or my hand with a quick wipe. Cast iron is not.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:31 am
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:41 am

Cast iron apologists all make this claim but it’s very far from my experience. Non stick is clean as a whistle in the dishwasher or my hand with a quick wipe. Cast iron is not.
I think they need to be used all the time. Mine legit clean with just running water over them, but if they sit for a while, I think that ability goes down. :iono:

Can't throw them in a dishwasher :doe: so there's certainly more effort than that.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I think you're right. If you use it as if it's your only pan it'll clean very easily, but if you're switching back and forth all the time you might as well just stay with non stick. I can't say having a high end cast iron has improved my life at all.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:50 am
D Griff wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:31 am

I think they need to be used all the time. Mine legit clean with just running water over them, but if they sit for a while, I think that ability goes down. :iono:

Can't throw them in a dishwasher :doe: so there's certainly more effort than that.
I figured it was something that amounted to "I'm doing it wrong" and that appears to be the case. Whatever. I don't have to think about how I use or don't use my non-stick stuff. Since I'm skinny with no metabolism and live in the city, I can often go a week or more without using the stove. I also prefer my vegetables well-done which means that things get burnt on to non-non-stick pans. Fuck crunchy vegetables.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Interesting. I guess not using it regularly enough is my problem. That makes sense as it does seem easier to clean sometimes than others. That’s really more than I want to have to think about it though.

Y’all cast iron people even cook eggs in them? That is truly astonishing if so, if I tried to fry an egg in the cast iron, said egg would be so encrusted to the pan it would end up in the trash. Can cook one on non stick easily without even using oil butter.

I really only use the cast for meat which I don’t cook all that often and when I do I’d rather grill typically. I cook a ton of vegetables on the stove but I don’t think there’s any advantage to the cast iron with them like there is meat.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:11 am

Y’all cast iron people even cook eggs in them? That is truly astonishing if so, if I tried to fry an egg in the cast iron, said egg would be so encrusted to the pan it would end up in the trash. Can cook one on non stick easily without even using oil butter.

Every weekend.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:11 am Interesting. I guess not using it regularly enough is my problem. That makes sense as it does seem easier to clean sometimes than others. That’s really more than I want to have to think about it though.

I really only use the cast for meat which I don’t cook all that often and when I do I’d rather grill typically. I cook a ton of vegetables on the stove but I don’t think there’s any advantage to the cast iron with them like there is meat.
Depends how you like your eggs. Scrambled is tough, but over-easy/medium/hard/sunnyside up is simple. SUPER LOW heat. Like as low as the heat can go is how I do eggs, sometimes I even remove the pan from heat when cooking and use a lid. Yea, it takes a while, but nothing sticks when you go super low on the heat.

I also use a bit of oil, not a ton, but I like the added flavor/texture.
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh, and I've got one pan I don't use as much and I find that sometimes things can stick to it more than my other that I use all the time. Not sure if the seasoning dries up or something, but I do think there's something to frequency of use and non-stickiness. I try to rotate the pans I use, and it's 5/7.

But admittedly, a non-stick teflon or whatever is far more ZFG overall. But the last time I used one I found it heated up faster than I expected and I burned the shit out of the egg I was cooking. Dishwasher was the only way to clean it. Bottom line: get used to a method and just stick to it.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:11 am Interesting. I guess not using it regularly enough is my problem. That makes sense as it does seem easier to clean sometimes than others. That’s really more than I want to have to think about it though.

Fried eggs, all the time (in olive oil).
Scrambled, no.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Man I'm so jealous of people that can monge eggs. They make my stomach feel weird as fuck, but a simple eggs looks so good.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Cast iron does the heavy lifting at our house but fuck making eggs on it. Nonstick comes out for that.

And Cale I’m weird with eggs too. They make my stomach weird and I get nauseous from them sometimes. But every once in a while some over medium eggs with chives and hot sauce is just what I want.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:39 pm Cast iron does the heavy lifting at our house but fuck making eggs on it. Nonstick comes out for that.

And Cale I’m weird with eggs too. They make my stomach weird and I get nauseous from them sometimes. But every once in a while some over medium eggs with chives and hot sauce is just what I want.
Interesting. My wife always complains about eggs making her "feel weird" which I always chalked up to some :sass:

Guess I need to cut her some slack.