So I bought some useless junk recently...

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Acid666 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:13 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:42 am

Whatever you do don't buy the Panoramaxx Crystal because I'll be so jealous I might die
I had to look it up, I thought it was something from Labyrinth or some shit. I ain't spending that kinda dough yet. I still got some big ticket items for the Lemons Poverty NSX. I do need to purchase some other things like grinding wheels and sanding shit. I'm looking at the Northern tool welding table right now because grounding individual pieces of steel is gonna be tiring when I can just ground to the damn work table.
Grounding to parts is rage inducing.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Ford securing a boatload of "chips", my buddy took delivery of his wife's new family hauler/mall crawler.... dat two kid lyfe demands a safe and reliable.... pickup truck! #gobigorgohome
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Tarspin wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:44 pm Image

Ford securing a boatload of "chips", my buddy took delivery of his wife's new family hauler/mall crawler.... dat two kid lyfe demands a safe and reliable.... pickup truck! #gobigorgohome
:nice: :truckyeah:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:30 am
Tarspin wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:44 pm Image

:nice: :truckyeah:
It's actually a pretty truck, I like their styling but too big for some soccer mom IMO. Guess we'll see what the bumpers look like in a year or two.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Six straight best months ever in the car biz deserves a treat. I went in for the Gulf F1 limited edition and fell in love with this thing.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:58 pm Image

Six straight best months ever in the car biz deserves a treat. I went in for the Gulf F1 limited edition and fell in love with this thing.
Treat yo self!!!
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:nice:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

That looks really nice man!
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Das nice!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I can say that I'm turning into a bit of a watch addict. Champaign taste on beer budget, if you may.

I have a lot of appreciation for most of the big name brands, but I was sold on Omega as the bees knees for its NASA approved robust design. Buzz Aldrin, Ed White, Neil Armstrong, and so on were all issued Omega Speedmaster Professional :manuel: wind up Chronographs, so naturally that's the Holy Grail. From a mechanical reliability and accuracy standpoint, it absolutely is. The movement in that thing is pure art, and is at peak aesthetic and mechanical interest. For those wanting to know more look up the 145.012, 1967 Moonwatch movement called the calibre 321 aka CH27. OMEGA recently released a new 321 in platinum for $110k retail, and you can't just go to the store to buy one, they make sure buyers have a history of watch purchases to qualify. It's basically the GT3 of 911s for anyone still paying attention.

It later got updated and renamed to 861 with some minor changes to the Chronograph push button design to improve water resistance; However, this also changes the way the buttons feel and just like a good manual car, the transitions are important and make certain models more desirable.

Just like a desired car with a perfect shifter from a :unicorn: era, you can expect to pay a pretty penny. A vintage Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch is basically a :poorvette: in value, so I tap out before even trying to dream about owning one.

Here's a picture of the movement in a Cal 321:

Stunning, right?! Well, I think so!

Beginning life as the CH27 C12 project (and also known as the Lemania 2310), this movement has been used by a host of watch brands including Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, and Vacheron Constantin, which attests to its quality and workmanship.

The Omega launched in 1946 and, sadly, production ended in 1968.

It utilizes a column wheel, as opposed to a cam, to actuate the chronograph functions. Column wheel chronographs are considered better quality than cams due to their more labor-intensive construction process and smoother operation. They are also generally more visually appealing.

The 321 uses a horizontal clutch to engage the chronograph complication with a coupling wheel that rocks back and forth to toggle it on and off.

The screws are very reminiscent of most vintage Omega models of the 1950s through the 1970s as they are sturdy, thick-headed examples with very thin slots for the driver blade.

Unfortunately, many vintage 321s have less-than-appealing screw heads due to watch repairers not taking proper care of their instruments.

These sturdy screws combined with solid, well-made bridges and cocks result in a very robust movement indeed.

The real beauty of vintage chronograph like the 321 is its capacity for adjustments. Many modern calibers have everything set from the factory, making adjustments to the movement a thing of the past.

The Caliber 321 on the other hand, allows infinitely minute adjustments to ensure precise running of operations and optimized chronometric performance.

In 1969, the company updated the 321 and named it the cal 861, utilizing a change to the column wheel and introducing the cam design. Easier to service, more reliable, but less desirable and enjoyable to operate as mentioned above.

This is where I step in, the same 861 movement was placed into a much cheaper watch known as the 1970 Tissot Seastar Chronograph, movement rebranded as 871 and official name being the Lemania 1281. Omega and Tissot partnered up to buy the movement manufacturer caller Lemania, so they had equal rights to the product. Tissot was the car racing enthusiast branding of the same shit. I happened to come across a cheap one offered by a watch store in Argentina who also has eBay presence, and since I needed to get my PayPal up and running for a DFD cash top up, I utilized my preparedness to make a low-ball offer on what I think to be a very clean version. I offered $950USD plus shipping and it was instantly accepted. I didn't think it could exist below $1000, and anything I've seen for $1300ish seems to disappear quickly and is in much worse shape.

I'm pretty excited to have this piece of watch history, on my arm and have already found an original metal bracelet from the 1970s to replace the one on there which I assume is aftermarket.

The body, lense, movement, dial, and even screws are in such good shape and it's advertised to keep good time.... fingers crossed 🤞!

It's not getting here until the end of Dec, so here are some pics taken by the watch store that I can share:

It has a very compact case, 34mm which seems to be trending in watch styling for 22/23 anyways... So I will really enjoy wearing this piece when it gets here.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Its beginning to look a lot like feeding into the american capitalism. Lets get all in debt!

I found out my girlfriend ordered me a Ridge wallet as I've eavesdropped her phone. I'm acting like I don't know.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:02 pm Its beginning to look a lot like feeding into the american capitalism. Lets get all in debt!

I found out my girlfriend ordered me a Ridge wallet as I've eavesdropped her phone. I'm acting like I don't know.
I don't carry credit card debt, so my watch :plac: is all cash purchases, hence why I didn't buy the Omega. XMAS is here :doe: , so in that sense capitalism is running its course!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Sleek wallet :doe:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

34mm watch case is more like my size, does it really fit you? :impressive:

I won an auction last night for a used i7-7700k cpu to update my aging PC in the hopes of getting it to run modern games and stuff for another few years. Might need to get a graphics card too now that the crypto crash is bringing those prices back down to earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:57 am 34mm watch case is more like my size, does it really fit you? :impressive:

I won an auction last night for a used i7-7700k cpu to update my aging PC in the hopes of getting it to run modern games and stuff for another few years. Might need to get a graphics card too now that the crypto crash is bringing those prices back down to earth.
It's small but that's how watches were sized in the 70s. I have one Seiko about that size and love wearing it, they are way more comfortable then larger pieces.

Watches are trending smaller, so it won't be totally rediculous looking. 38mm would be optimal personally,
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Tar wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:57 pm I can say that I'm turning into a bit of a watch addict. Champaign taste on beer budget, if you may.

I have a lot of appreciation for most of the big name brands, but I was sold on Omega as the bees knees for its NASA approved robust design. Buzz Aldrin, Ed White, Neil Armstrong,

snip....
5/7 post will read again.

Neat history lesson and hope you enjoy your purchase when it arrives.

I appreciate the watch game but its wildly expensive and im just too hard on shit to wear something that expensive everyday

also, I kinda don't get the point when you cant see those beautiful mechanical internals.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:10 am
Tar wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:57 pm I can say that I'm turning into a bit of a watch addict. Champaign taste on beer budget, if you may.

I have a lot of appreciation for most of the big name brands, but I was sold on Omega as the bees knees for its NASA approved robust design. Buzz Aldrin, Ed White, Neil Armstrong,

snip....
5/7 post will read again.

Neat history lesson and hope you enjoy your purchase when it arrives.

I appreciate the watch game but its wildly expensive and im just too hard on shit to wear something that expensive everyday

also, I kinda don't get the point when you cant see those beautiful mechanical internals.
Yeah they get expensive, I don't think this one will cost me anything by the time I sell it, and at 0.1x the price of a high end new or vintage watch I can ZFG this learning experience.

There is a company out of Germany that sells covers with saffire crystal inserts that I'm looking into. There is one available for the Speedy, but the case for this one may be too different so I have to dig around a bit before buying that cover.

You can feel and hear the mechanics in something like this. There's a ticking resonance, a distinct winding feel, and the motion of the chrono buttons are all special. Not as special as the 321, but that's the caviar.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tar wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:06 pmSleek wallet :doe:
Im :excited:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tar wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:50 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:02 pm Its beginning to look a lot like feeding into the american capitalism. Lets get all in debt!

I don't carry credit card debt, so my watch :plac: is all cash purchases, hence why I didn't buy the Omega. XMAS is here :doe: , so in that sense capitalism is running its course!
Its a little sarcasm, ive used to be in a 5 figure debt at one point about a year before covid and now it has only been a fraction of that at best in recent years. I would not look back. I'm tempted to get a nice watch. For now I only have my apple watch and my real looking fake bro-lex thats been sitting for a while as well. I love the color, which is green. Now that I got a new job where the pay will be twice as much. I love IWC, but $6k is a huge pill to swallow and besides I'm saving that as a downpayment for my next :plac: car move. Maybe a nice Seiko that doesn't break the bank nowhere near as bad, who knows. My apple watch will remain as a daily, great for travelling and working out.

I now have a mentality where I have to get a new watch for every milestone
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:08 am

Its a little sarcasm, ive used to be in a 5 figure debt at one point about a year before covid and now it has only been a fraction of that at best in recent years. I would not look back. I'm tempted to get a nice watch. For now I only have my apple watch and my real looking fake bro-lex thats been sitting for a while as well. I love the color, which is green. Now that I got a new job where the pay will be twice as much. I love IWC, but $6k is a huge pill to swallow and besides I'm saving that as a downpayment for my next :plac: car move. Maybe a nice Seiko that doesn't break the bank nowhere near as bad, who knows. My apple watch will remain as a daily, great for travelling and working out.

You can get a nice IWC used for 3k buying them new is A 7 figure income activity
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:08 am

If you buy something used you'll retain most or all of the value... there's lots out there.

https://www.chrono24.ca/tagheuer/formul ... 227531.htm

https://www.chrono24.ca/iwc/iwc-porsche ... 469879.htm
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Tar wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:07 am
Valkyrie wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:57 am 34mm watch case is more like my size, does it really fit you? :impressive:

It's small but that's how watches were sized in the 70s. I have one Seiko about that size and love wearing it, they are way more comfortable then larger pieces.

Watches are trending smaller, so it won't be totally rediculous looking. 38mm would be optimal personally,
That's good and the trend makes sense IMO. Giant watches look like you're auditioning for a rap video, plus making :fancy: watches smaller means that they are more distinct from the tech watches.

I still like my automatic Seiko which at 37mm is a little big for me but was about as small as I could buy at the time... Of course now all I ever wear is the huge 40mm Garmin for :science: data tracking.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

'grats, Mario, that is a pretty dope story/history! Enjoy the new piece, seems like a fun place to park a bit of cash.

I also admire the watch game but can't actually jump in and play, too :waxer: for me.

I sometimes consider grabbing a Seiko automatic as well but I just wear the Garmin these days, I like the :math: /fitness stuff.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I actually have a titanium Citizen EcoDrive sitting on my desk I need to throw up on eBay and get $75 for.
max225

That was an interesting read.. on the watches.. OMEGA's are classics... especially the 60s and 70s... since they were at the peak of their game then. Now that Swatch has copied the moon watch, it has destroyed the brand IMO.

Either way loved the read. Mechanical watches are dude jewelry ... I have come to appreciate them a bit.