How life was awesome today: the :fuckyeah: thread

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:54 am
Acid666 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:44 am

Oilfield takes a while to trickle back up. It's like when the price of oil takes a hit, you'll see it in waves in the roots of the industry. We're starting to get slammed, have a full office of people we had to bring in to take on the work that we got awarded, but have to make sure it's stable enough to keep money in the company in case it takes another slump downwards.
AH, crap. For some reason I thought you managed to be in an industry other than oil down there, though I guess oil pretty much drives all industry down there.

Oil prices are roaring back, hopefully you'll get back to more normal soon.
I do drafting/design/engineering. So we've got a lot of our hands in oilfield cookie jars. Pretty much every company down here is in some way linked to the oilfield. We're halfway between Houston and the ports in south Louisiana where companies send their guys out to go to rigs. All the big companies are based out of Houston with a hub here in Lafayette.

We've been diversifying for a few years but the major work we're doing now is for a Canadian company that's fabing up some turbine trailers for fracking. Nearly all of us are on one of 3 projects for them that'll keep us busy for a few more months. I'm considering a 3-5 year plan to get the hell out of this state, but a lot revolves around my work. I can likely work the the same company remotely (I'm kinda that important here and there's only one other senior designer here), but I'm thinking of trying to get into a different industry like automotive part design, aerospace, or some other kind of manufacturing.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:10 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:54 am
AH, crap. For some reason I thought you managed to be in an industry other than oil down there, though I guess oil pretty much drives all industry down there.

Oil prices are roaring back, hopefully you'll get back to more normal soon.
I do drafting/design/engineering. So we've got a lot of our hands in oilfield cookie jars. Pretty much every company down here is in some way linked to the oilfield. We're halfway between Houston and the ports in south Louisiana where companies send their guys out to go to rigs. All the big companies are based out of Houston with a hub here in Lafayette.

We've been diversifying for a few years but the major work we're doing now is for a Canadian company that's fabing up some turbine trailers for fracking. Nearly all of us are on one of 3 projects for them that'll keep us busy for a few more months. I'm considering a 3-5 year plan to get the hell out of this state, but a lot revolves around my work. I can likely work the the same company remotely (I'm kinda that important here and there's only one other senior designer here), but I'm thinking of trying to get into a different industry like automotive part design, aerospace, or some other kind of manufacturing.
The biggest challenge for remote work in this regard is the ability for engineers/designers to play with physical parts...and not just their own physical parts, but everyone's physical parts that need to interface with each other. That's usually where in person type activities are really critical. Detroit OEMs are pivoting physical spaces to focus on just these activities. But most design work can and is being done at home, and that's not going away.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote:
rockchops wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:48 pm Had a market adjustment raise today, but nets me almost 15% more base out of the blue, which is significant. I had brought it up prior, market has outpaced my salary in recent years despite pretty healthy merit bumps. Being in a weird niche technical role has paid off.
:fuckyeah:

My company does $0 raises. Not merit, nothing. It's pretty incredible, don't take it for granted like I used to!
wut? Do they like...want people to stay or no? I definitely do not take it for granted as ive been stunted before. My change does seem pretty honest to the market though. Idk if the demand just went berserk or what, but last year or two have seen monster salary growth in my field. Makes hiring difficult, but good for me I suppose.
ChrisoftheNorth

rockchops wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:53 pm
Detroit wrote: :fuckyeah:

My company does $0 raises. Not merit, nothing. It's pretty incredible, don't take it for granted like I used to!
wut? Do they like...want people to stay or no? I definitely do not take it for granted as ive been stunted before. My change does seem pretty honest to the market though. Idk if the demand just went berserk or what, but last year or two have seen monster salary growth in my field. Makes hiring difficult, but good for me I suppose.
Company gives zero fucks about employees, people stay out of convenience I guess? People are starting to leave in droves right now. Nobody seems to care, "do more with less" and "spend nothing" is the mantra.

Awesome you're seeing growth! I need to pivot my career into something growing, bad.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:47 pm
rockchops wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:53 pm wut? Do they like...want people to stay or no? I definitely do not take it for granted as ive been stunted before. My change does seem pretty honest to the market though. Idk if the demand just went berserk or what, but last year or two have seen monster salary growth in my field. Makes hiring difficult, but good for me I suppose.
Company gives zero fucks about employees, people stay out of convenience I guess? People are starting to leave in droves right now. Nobody seems to care, "do more with less" and "spend nothing" is the mantra.

Awesome you're seeing growth! I need to pivot my career into something growing, bad.
This was my experience in Retail for nearly a decade.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote:
rockchops wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:53 pm wut? Do they like...want people to stay or no? I definitely do not take it for granted as ive been stunted before. My change does seem pretty honest to the market though. Idk if the demand just went berserk or what, but last year or two have seen monster salary growth in my field. Makes hiring difficult, but good for me I suppose.

Toxic. The biggest asset any company has (or should have) is its people. Not surprised to hear necessarily, but literally taking any incentive for professional career-minded people away? That is a shot in both feet.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote:
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:47 pm Company gives zero fucks about employees, people stay out of convenience I guess? People are starting to leave in droves right now. Nobody seems to care, "do more with less" and "spend nothing" is the mantra.

Yeah same with retail here. Retail employees are seen as expendable at a lot of places. Which isnt good in itself, but career/professional level there is investment in both sides.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

rockchops wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:19 pm
max225 wrote:
Yeah same with retail here. Retail employees are seen as expendable at a lot of places. Which isnt good in itself, but career/professional level there is investment in both sides.
@ the professional level within the corp it still didn't matter. Say a google would provide you with Merit + Stock + perks etc. And someone like... say a Kohls gave exactly 0 fucks.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote:
rockchops wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:19 pm Yeah same with retail here. Retail employees are seen as expendable at a lot of places. Which isnt good in itself, but career/professional level there is investment in both sides.
@ the professional level within the corp it still didn't matter. Say a google would provide you with Merit + Stock + perks etc. And someone like... say a Kohls gave exactly 0 fucks.
Which is exactly why brick and mortar retail is tanking. My last job was working corporate for a niche national brick and mortar retail company, 500+ locations. I do ecomm and data stuff, so really part of a growth area of the biz so maybe different. They were okay, but did not actually address the problems with the business (not paying their end workers well, and pushing that 35 hour "part time" emp shit tier situation) and then wonder why the store workers stopped giving a shit...satisfaction tanked, customer experience scores tanked. And now they declared bankruptcy! Textbook. I got raises and a promotion, they werent awful to me though. After I left, they did serious market adjustment too, I actually tried hiring a couple of folks from there and their salaries were nuts. Apparently they had a lot of churn and threw money at people. It didnt work.
ChrisoftheNorth

rockchops wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Company gives zero fucks about employees, people stay out of convenience I guess? People are starting to leave in droves right now. Nobody seems to care, "do more with less" and "spend nothing" is the mantra.

Toxic. The biggest asset any company has (or should have) is its people. Not surprised to hear necessarily, but literally taking any incentive for professional career-minded people away? That is a shot in both feet.
Yea, it makes zero sense. I've never worked for a worse company. There's open next level leadership type positions open that nobody wants to take, so the company throws money at external people like myself who get mulched into the machine and start looking for an exit strategy asap. That turnover is expensive and senseless.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

rockchops wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Company gives zero fucks about employees, people stay out of convenience I guess? People are starting to leave in droves right now. Nobody seems to care, "do more with less" and "spend nothing" is the mantra.

Unfortunately, most companies view their employees as their biggest expense.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:58 pm
rockchops wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:18 pm Toxic. The biggest asset any company has (or should have) is its people. Not surprised to hear necessarily, but literally taking any incentive for professional career-minded people away? That is a shot in both feet.

Unfortunately, most companies view their employees as their biggest expense.
:dat: :dat: :dat: I've never really felt "valued" ever.