The Grand Tour: All systems are go!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:54 pm You can legit buy houses for that cheap that look like that. The entire street will be abandoned with crack heads squatting in the rubble (notice they never showed the rest of the street), but it is still a thing.
Don't you also have to pay like 200%/yr in taxes for the privilege of owning a home in an up-and-coming area?
" said Jimenez, 28, who lives in southwest Detroit. Last year, she tried unsuccessfully to appeal her $1,550 annual tax bill for a house she bought for $8,500 in 2009. The city set its market value at $33,174.
A house worth $8500 :mindblown: also assessed value of 33k :mindblown: also $1500 on 33k ~5% taxes... wtf.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:02 pm Don't you also have to pay like 200%/yr in taxes for the privilege of owning a home in an up-and-coming area?
" said Jimenez, 28, who lives in southwest Detroit. Last year, she tried unsuccessfully to appeal her $1,550 annual tax bill for a house she bought for $8,500 in 2009. The city set its market value at $33,174.
A house worth $8500 :mindblown: also assessed value of 33k :mindblown: also $1500 on 33k ~5% taxes... wtf.
So about the same as NY. :disgust:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

All things aside I think this season shows good promise compared to the last two. Also, Season 4 is confirmed to be ONLY specials of the three traveling around the world instead of the structured “tent” shei
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:20 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:02 pm

Don't you also have to pay like 200%/yr in taxes for the privilege of owning a home in an up-and-coming area?
Because most houses in the city are worth so little, the tax rate is insanely high. If you buy a nice house in a nice up and coming area, $15-$20k in taxes isn't unheard of. We have friends that just bought a mansion in a shit area that's "up and coming". Their property tax bill is $13k. And they get absolutely nothing for that.

To make matters even worse, the city of Detroit levies its own income tax...and residents pay the highest of any city in the country at an insane 2.4%...combined with the state income tax of 4.25%, Detroit city residents pay 6.65% income tax. Living in the city of Detroit is the dumbest thing someone could do. Makes ZERO sense, and it's why the city is so screwed overall.

The city even levies an income tax on people who don't live in the city, but work in it. 1.2%. If I find a job outside of the city, I'll get an automatic 1.2% raise.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:51 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:20 pm

Because most houses in the city are worth so little, the tax rate is insanely high. If you buy a nice house in a nice up and coming area, $15-$20k in taxes isn't unheard of. We have friends that just bought a mansion in a shit area that's "up and coming". Their property tax bill is $13k. And they get absolutely nothing for that.

To make matters even worse, the city of Detroit levies its own income tax...and residents pay the highest of any city in the country at an insane 2.4%...combined with the state income tax of 4.25%, Detroit city residents pay 6.65% income tax. Living in the city of Detroit is the dumbest thing someone could do. Makes ZERO sense, and it's why the city is so screwed overall.

The city even levies an income tax on people who don't live in the city, but work in it. 1.2%. If I find a job outside of the city, I'll get an automatic 1.2% raise.
:wtf:
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:20 pm A house worth $8500 :mindblown: also assessed value of 33k :mindblown: also $1500 on 33k ~5% taxes... wtf.

That kind of crap is why the city will never succeed again.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Anyway, GT. Episode one was good.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:59 am
Detroit wrote: Because most houses in the city are worth so little, the tax rate is insanely high. If you buy a nice house in a nice up and coming area, $15-$20k in taxes isn't unheard of. We have friends that just bought a mansion in a shit area that's "up and coming". Their property tax bill is $13k. And they get absolutely nothing for that.

That kind of crap is why the city will never succeed again.
Exactly. Hence why I think the GT portrayal of Detroit was accurate. Outside of the moran :millennials: willing to put up with the financial suicide committed by living in the city to be "unique" or "part of the solution" or whatever :bs: , there's no hope for the city.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:00 am Anyway, GT. Episode one was good.
:dat: I was entertained.

And excited when it popped up on Amazon as I was scrolling thru looking for something to watch. 13 weeks sounds like a solid season too. :like:
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:01 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:59 am That kind of crap is why the city will never succeed again.
Exactly. Hence why I think the GT portrayal of Detroit was accurate. Outside of the moran :millennials: willing to put up with the financial suicide committed by living in the city to be "unique" or "part of the solution" or whatever :bs: , there's no hope for the city.
Surprisingly, Detroit bonds are not junk rated, according to Moody's. A good portion of that is due to state level funding, and associated credit rating, so the city can cover its debt service.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:02 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:00 am Anyway, GT. Episode one was good.

And excited when it popped up on Amazon as I was scrolling thru looking for something to watch. 13 weeks sounds like a solid season too. :like:
:dat:

I do hope that they continue to cut out the "celebrity" crap that nobody cares about. I know they announced that the tent is going away for next season, that can't come soon enough.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:10 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:01 am
Surprisingly, Detroit bonds are not junk rated, according to Moody's. A good portion of that is due to state level funding, and associated credit rating, so the city can cover its debt service.
I should hope so. It filed the largest municipal bankruptcy in history just 5 years ago.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:11 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:02 am

I do hope that they continue to cut out the "celebrity" crap that nobody cares about. I know they announced that the tent is going away for next season, that can't come soon enough.
Someone mentioned earlier that next season is going to get rid of the tent stuff entirely and be global adventures. That should be an excellent season!
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:12 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:11 am

Someone mentioned earlier that next season is going to get rid of the tent stuff entirely and be global adventures. That should be an excellent season!
It's what it should have been all along. Trying to replicate Top Gear just came off as half assed to me. "Celebrities" nobody's heard of (or care about listening to), worthless bits that were mildly funny at best...even the talk bit is :whocares: most of the time. I hope they start to make the transition this season. Like this first show was perfect if the tent has to stay around.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:15 am

It's what it should have been all along. Trying to replicate Top Gear just came off as half assed to me. "Celebrities" nobody's heard of (or care about listening to), worthless bits that were mildly funny at best...even the talk bit is :whocares: most of the time. I hope they start to make the transition this season. Like this first show was perfect if the tent has to stay around.

It's called The Grand Tour... make it about grand tours...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

I liked se 3 ep 1. They are on a much better path.

I honestly stopped watching halfway into season 2. Like guys, trim the fat and make it just the good parts.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:15 am

:dat: exactly.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I did like the second season when they did the Ford GT versus public transit race. My favorite part was when Clarkson said “call vagina” and it callled May :lolgasm:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 am I liked se 3 ep 1. They are on a much better path.

I honestly stopped watching halfway into season 2. Like guys, trim the fat and make it just the good parts.

Format was good. I still enjoy the "news" piece and the reviews. The celebrity piece was boring and generally skipped through.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:56 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 am I liked se 3 ep 1. They are on a much better path.

Format was good. I still enjoy the "news" piece and the reviews. The celebrity piece was boring and generally skipped through.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:56 am

That appears universal. Even erin, who knows which celebs they are, hits skip.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:44 pm All things aside I think this season shows good promise compared to the last two. Also, Season 4 is confirmed to be ONLY specials of the three traveling around the world instead of the structured “tent” shei
:notbad: worth to keep using the prime.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:41 am I did like the second season when they did the Ford GT versus public transit race. My favorite part was when Clarkson said “call vagina” and it callled May :lolgasm:
OMGG yess!! I'll never forget that. Imagine if her young (not so much anymore) daughter asks whats vagina :lolgasm:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

only watched halfway of the new episode tho, will try again tonight