Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Also... is having a 20 year old explosive a couple of feet from your face really that much safer? :notsure: With all of the airbag recalls and failures, I just can't spend too much time worrying about it.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: a fun vehicle that sees 2k miles per year going 60mph max on Woodward? Meh.
Yeah, I can't do that. Any car I own is going to be driven on long road trips. Who knows if I'll ever even have a garage again to store a "toy" car, probably not at this rate... Wife just got back from 3 days in Boston and was depressed to be leaving the city. :rudy: apartment lyfe is likely the new normal.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:22 pm
When I die from the lack of airbag in my car, you can all say I told you so.

Oh wait.

For a primary vehicle that sees a lot of miles, I agree...safety is important. For a fun vehicle that sees 2k miles per year going 60mph max on Woodward? Meh.
I just don't worry all that much and stand by that seat ejecto is a larger issue. I mean, things are always going to get safer and someday we'll be living Wall-y. I'm not looking forward to that day and plan to raw-dog it and have fun with life as long as I can, within reason.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

Staying planted in the vehicle is far more important than hitting your head on the steering wheel...which likely won't happen if you have a seatbelt on.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:28 pm Also... is having a 20 year old explosive a couple of feet from your face really that much safer? :notsure: With all of the airbag recalls and failures, I just can't spend too much time worrying about it.

The oldest airbags are ~30 years old now. The reliability and durability of these things just isn't that proven yet. Who's to say it won't go Takata on you and spray shrapnel all over your face when it goes off because it's old?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:28 pm
Detroit wrote: a fun vehicle that sees 2k miles per year going 60mph max on Woodward? Meh.
Yeah, I can't do that. Any car I own is going to be driven on long road trips. Who knows if I'll ever even have a garage again to store a "toy" car, probably not at this rate... Wife just got back from 3 days in Boston and was depressed to be leaving the city. :rudy: apartment lyfe is likely the new normal.
:iono: I am living that life and slumming it wrenching on the :poorvette: in the parking deck :aintcare: . It can be done, it does have its challenges.

Also, I have to admit that overall the apartment life isn't all that it's cracked up to be, I kinda miss our townhouse in the 'burbs, which wasn't even that great.
ChrisoftheNorth

:(

Yea, I hear you then. I wouldn't want my C5 as my only car, and if it was, I'd probably consider putting the airbag back in. Statistically, the risk is higher.
Desertbreh

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:59 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:46 am
80's cars seem to be so hot right now. Especially since there's so few nice ones left.

I'm somewhat hoping this happens with C5s in 15 years.
I bet this is happening because guys my age, like me are thinking about the fun they had in their first new car, or one they always wanted when they were just coming of age to drive.

I can't lie, I've almost hit the buy it now button on a couple stock Fox body Mustangs just because I loved that car so much. Yeah, it was built like a POS, but it was fun at the time. I feel that a bit less, but it is still there about the 4th gen fbody cars. I had a '95 Z28 and a '99 SS. While much faster, I always liked that '88 Mustang GT a bit more. Nostalgia...
I liked the LX 5.0 moreso than the cladded GT
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:32 pm

Yea, I hear you then. I wouldn't want my C5 as my only car, and if it was, I'd probably consider putting the airbag back in. Statistically, the risk is higher.
I think for one car, I'd have to upgrade to a C6 in full 4X4 mode, that would be a pretty good DD.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:32 pm

I think for one car, I'd have to upgrade to a C6 in full 4X4 mode, that would be a pretty good DD.
You still scrape like fking crazy.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:35 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:59 am

I bet this is happening because guys my age, like me are thinking about the fun they had in their first new car, or one they always wanted when they were just coming of age to drive.

I can't lie, I've almost hit the buy it now button on a couple stock Fox body Mustangs just because I loved that car so much. Yeah, it was built like a POS, but it was fun at the time. I feel that a bit less, but it is still there about the 4th gen fbody cars. I had a '95 Z28 and a '99 SS. While much faster, I always liked that '88 Mustang GT a bit more. Nostalgia...
I couldn't find an LX that had power windows and locks on any dealer lot, so I got a GT. I went in looking for an LX.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:28 pm Yeah, I can't do that. Any car I own is going to be driven on long road trips. Who knows if I'll ever even have a garage again to store a "toy" car, probably not at this rate... Wife just got back from 3 days in Boston and was depressed to be leaving the city. :rudy: apartment lyfe is likely the new normal.
:iono: I am living that life and slumming it wrenching on the :poorvette: in the parking deck :aintcare: . It can be done, it does have its challenges.

Also, I have to admit that overall the apartment life isn't all that it's cracked up to be, I kinda miss our townhouse in the 'burbs, which wasn't even that great.
I'm amazed that you have 3 covered parking spots and a nicer place in a much nicer area than us for the same damn price that we pay. I could deal with that.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I think I've put 6k miles on my car in the 5mo it's been on the road
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:43 pm
D Griff wrote:

I'm amazed that you have 3 covered parking spots and a nicer place in a much nicer area than us for the same damn price that we pay. I could deal with that.
:iono: man, your area sucks. Keep in mind that we also have 750 sq. feet... that's part of it. Also, we only have two parking spaces, they're just not good at monitoring parking.
Desertbreh

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:41 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:35 pm

I couldn't find an LX that had power windows and locks on any dealer lot, so I got a GT. I went in looking for an LX.
Ah....
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:31 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:28 pm Also... is having a 20 year old explosive a couple of feet from your face really that much safer? :notsure: With all of the airbag recalls and failures, I just can't spend too much time worrying about it.

The oldest airbags are ~30 years old now. The reliability and durability of these things just isn't that proven yet. Who's to say it won't go Takata on you and spray shrapnel all over your face when it goes off because it's old?
Has anyone done any tests on older airbags to see how they're holding up? I'd be curious to see if someone grabbed various airbags from junkyards and detonated them to see if they still functioned like new.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:16 pm

Has anyone done any tests on older airbags to see how they're holding up? I'd be curious to see if someone grabbed various airbags from junkyards and detonated them to see if they still functioned like new.
I'd be very curious to see the results of such a test. I'm :notsure: about it TBH.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:32 pm

I'd be very curious to see the results of such a test. I'm :notsure: about it TBH.
Our 95 Meowta has an airbag, and while I don't have full faith in it, I won't take the wheel off and go with a sportier race wheel unless the car is turned into a full race machine. We do too much traveling 1-2 hours away on the interstate to autocross events for me to not worry about me or the wife's safety. The 21 year old in me would be all :fuckyeah: , but the adult in me wants to make sure neither of us don't end up quadriplegic with a forehead full of glass.
Same for the C5. I'd love a better wheel like :melon:'s, but he lives in the same town that we mainly autocross in so his drive is always short. I've always got to travel for events.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:38 pm

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

These explain how people get killed by airbags.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:16 pm

Yea...I really want that going off in front of my face.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:09 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:16 pm

Look maaaaaan...

The government wouldn't require these if they were dangerous to your health. They only have your best interests in mind and they have completely and thoroughly done their homework here.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:20 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:09 am
Look maaaaaan...

The government wouldn't require these if they were dangerous to your health. They only have your best interests in mind and they have completely and thoroughly done their homework here.
:lolgasm: :yeahok:
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

About as scientific as Mythbusters.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Why TF are seat covers $1000