7%
51+ - :disgust:
14%

Total votes: 14
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

With the talk about desiring to become :truk: drivers over office gigs, news running across the US about creating four day work weeks, the 'great resignation' igniting workers rights, etc. I was curious how everyone's work/life shapes out. We all bitch about work plenty... and it would be epic to not have to show up. That said, most of us here seem to have fairly cushy office gigs by my estimation.

Are they as cushy as I think?
Do you work more or less since WFH started (or are you on site some/all of the time)?
Are the hours flexible, or ass in seat 8-5 type :dill: ?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I am in the :pout: category, not great, not terrible. My old role was probably like 30-35 once we went WFH, pretty epic but I hated the work and was bored as sin. New gig is better pay and a lot more engaging/challenging/enjoyable but certainly more of life is spent working.

I'd say I'm at around 35 hours the weeks I work remotely from home. It's also quite flexible, I can jet to go for a two hour bike ride mid day, head to a doctor's appointment if needed, etc. Hours are more or less mine to set as long as I attend meetings as needed, am online to call customers during business hours some.

Every other week now I'm on the road which is more like 45-50 hours at least. Generally 15-20 hours face-to-face in meetings with 'partners' (customers), lots of travel time, follow up, research/preparation for meetings, etc.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Ive got a sweet setup, tbh not sure I would find better anywhere else. I do a full 40 most weeks, but we get half day fridays, unlimited PTO (20 days minimum), and 3-4 weeks of office closures for chill time. It equates to something like 74 PTO days per year. With hours worked weekly, our main issue has been staffing not keeping up with business growth, so I was cranking some 60-70 hour weeks for a while when we needed to fill seats. I have balanced my team a bit more now and we are at full capacity, not over -- although I am still turning business away until we staff up.

I have a local office I can go into, but I am 90% WFH, my whole team is remote. NFG taking a nap or going for a ride during the day, etc. There are high performance expectations, but performance <> hours worked.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'm in the :disgust: category, but like 30 of those are WFH with varying degrees of effort ranging from watching grass grow to taking emergency service calls and walking major manufacturing plant reps through a catastrophic robot failure. Also, about 10 hrs/week are me getting paid while just driving places.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:disgust: here as well.

"Startup Lyfe" or whatever, I work at least 2 7am to 6pm days a week, the rest are 8pm to 6pm. I just have a ton on my plate and nobody else to do it. Worse, EVERY DAY there's something critical I need to provide to someone (facilitate a discussion, provide direction on something, present something, etc). I haven't had a day off since I went dog sledding at the beginning of Feb (over 2 months). My company used to give us one Friday per month off, which was HUGE but we merged with another company and that was taken away COST SAVINGS FUCK THE PEOPLE. I desperately need a day off, but it's just not feasible unless it's a holiday where everyone is off. We don't have anything off today or Monday for Easter, the next holiday is May? I'm not gonna make it that long, but I'm not the type to play hookie, and I can't schedule a vacation day when I know I have something critical to do (it's more work to get someone else to do it than just do it myself), so I'm stuck. I'll probably :nuke: in some spectacular fashion at some point. :popcorn:

My boss is German and "doesn't ever take vacation" because he "sees no point in wasting time". I've been with the company for 7 months, and he's taken one 4 day weekend to go skiing in Austria (yes, he flew NYC to Austria for a 4 day weekend to go skiing). DO YOU EVEN MAX EFFICIENCY BRO

Others :aintcare: and just take vacation whenever, and that work just falls on me because I can do it.

Fortunately, I have a colleague moving on, and my boss asked me to propose a new team structure for me to lead going forward. I should be able to rebalance workloads across more people rather than just on me and a few others, but we'll see. I've expressed concern about burn out (me and members on the team), and that seems to be taken somewhat seriously. I just need to make it through the rest of the year...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh, my India teams seem to get a company holiday every few weeks, even Canada got today off when we don't. Dafuq people.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

40 hour weeks with a 4 9s and a 4 half day Fridays. pretty awesome.
brain go brrrrrr
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

What is considered "work" ? Actually 100% on working and doing nothing else? Or how does one figure being "always on" ? Having work tied to email/calendars etc...

I have been quiet on here last week because I had some of the roughest "work" schedules since 4 years ago....

Tuesday/Wed we had an all day offsite meeting to realign on our next year strategies... schedule was 8-5... we ran over... worked 8-7 then we had a "dinner" where we talked about work mostly until 10pm... and I had to step away from that to do work on another job I am helping out with... I didn't eat till 5pm both days because I would do work during "lunch" for another job within my current corp... it has been :disgust:

I am so fucking done with work (I am typing this as I am waiting to present my part in a Zoom meeting).
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:22 pm What is considered "work" ? Actually 100% on working and doing nothing else? Or how does one figure being "always on" ? Having work tied to email/calendars etc...

I have been quiet on here last week because I had some of the roughest "work" schedules since 4 years ago....

Tuesday/Wed we had an all day offsite meeting to realign on our next year strategies... schedule was 8-5... we ran over... worked 8-7 then we had a "dinner" where we talked about work mostly until 10pm... and I had to step away from that to do work on another job I am helping out with... I didn't eat till 5pm both days because I would do work during "lunch" for another job within my current corp... it has been :disgust:

I am so fucking done with work (I am typing this as I am waiting to present my part in a Zoom meeting).
When I say "work" I mean...WORK. Meetings, setting up meetings, connecting with people, making strategies, etc, etc. I do not get breaks, what few minutes I do get I might shitpost on here, that's it. I almost never eat lunch due to time (I'm fat anyway, so no loss), but I don't fuck around at all. It's literally 50+ hours a week of solid brain activity, I'm FRIED at the end of the day.

I also had to travel to DC this week for client meetings where we talked about Q2+ and 2023 planning. Meeting from 9 to 5 straight, then meeting at dinner until 10 2 days straight. On Tuesday night, I found out my India teams didn't do anything because I didn't "provide direction" (that they need daily at 7am my time), so I sat with them on Zoom from 7 to 8, then went to the client for 9-5 meeting, then straight to the airport for a 7pm flight. Sounds similar to you. The only nice thing is I use flying as an excuse to be off for a while. Since I'm a giant and the company won't pay for me to be in comfort or first class, I can't use my laptop (literally, I don't have space).

But then I paid the price yesterday and today. Work backed up that I wasn't doing because I was presenting to clients, and my tech teams are ending a sprint and don't know what to do next.

I'm constantly behind, can't get ahead. I need to keep the train moving now, planning next quarter, AND planning next year all at the same time. It's insane.

India had a holiday, so I got a late start reprieve at 8am today, but I'll be working until 7 easy to get them set up for next week and plan some backlog items from a field call I led that exposed a bunch of shit I forgot to document. Oh, and I still haven't finished Q2 goals yet (yep, due 2 weeks ago).
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

My company is hiring, just throwing it out there.
ChrisoftheNorth

I'm more :rage: about holidays. Now that I work multi-nationally, we get FUCKED in the US. India is off all the time for national Holidays. Canada also always seems to be getting random holidays I've never heard of. US? We get Juneteenth off now, but they took Easter away for that. Awesome. Literally, not a single holiday since Feb.

They just say "take vacation". That's impossible when others are depending on you to keep shit moving. Company holidays are critical for avoiding burn-out, but the almighty dollar is more important I guess.
ChrisoftheNorth

rockchops wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:45 pm My company is hiring, just throwing it out there.
Need a remote Senior Product Manager with SaaS experience, roadmap planning, and leading global scrum teams in an agile environment?

Well versed in DevOps/VSTS, SQL (I write complex queries daily), Aha!, Confluence, etc, etc...

I've only been at it here for 6mos. My plan is to make it a few years and jump companies/levels with more time under my belt.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Don't you even Family Day :bruh: ? It's a late Feb thing for no reason at all. I'll take it.

Also work should be defined as billable hours, or hours building/maintaining a company you own. If dinner from 7-10pm is non-billable, then it's optional and not work.

DFD time on the clock counts as work too, IMO
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Right now with the hotel for part time and my travel gig. The max hours i worked is probably 50, recently for total its more like 40-45, so :pout: plus wrapping up my bachelors. Hence why im not dfd as much as I used to.

I started my 9-5 (atleast more like 8-4 for my case since i jumped on the travel gig when I was 21-22 when things were great, until :thankstrump: entered the chat which lured away a lot of my international travel groups almost to a halt at one point), now since covid we were slowly going back to way it was. Before omicron, it was the busiest ive ever had since 5 years, been to new york twice in one month for groups. Then it went almost dead silent again until just this week, which is why i pulled the plunge on working for the hotel so that atleast i won't die from "funemployment" boredom.

Right now, my hotel gig is 30 hours per week (part time in their standards) and now only scheduled for morning shifts (6:30-2:30) for few weeks now. I don't see myself working for that particular hotel for atleast another year because for one, im the only white looking dude at the front desk staff in the entire hotel (probably because of my foreign name). Just 2 days ago I met with the task force general manager (whose staying with us for 2 weeks until we get our new management team) and told me that you can feel free to ask for management position since he seemed to acknowledge my potential, as my now former gm sees me as that too. Second, the hotel is slightly ghetto for a 3 star (anyone familiar with NoVa, its in Springfield, so yeah :lol: ). But, I should atleast be grateful, let alone I barely have any hotel experience, started late than I planned to, but better than nothing.

For me. I see work as a tool to live my personal life, not like live to work if that makes sense. Also willing to improve on my career as long as I have perfect work/life balance.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I voted :pout: though on occasion I nudge up against :gag: , but not nearly as often as I used to when I was in sales. We also get the usual holidays off and I have 5 weeks vacation (that we're encouraged to take) and 5 sick days that I've only used 2 of for actually being sick in the almost 30 years I've been at my company.

My roll is changing starting next week, :doe: , and I've been tasked with managing a small (20k sq/ft) satellite warehouse that we're renting a few miles from our main building, while still doing my current jobs, with, of course, zero bump in pay. Never done anything like this before, never cared to, don't care to do this now, but :ohwell: No idea how much work it's going to take, if I'll be working more than I do now, or really anything about how it's going to go. Actually, no one seems to really know. This plan was hatched, over several weeks of meetings, without any input from me, without my even knowing about it until it was sprung on me a couple weeks ago, which has given me much :rage: :wtf: :ayfkm: :eeyore: :fshitup: the last few weeks.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote:
rockchops wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:45 pm My company is hiring, just throwing it out there.
Need a remote Senior Product Manager with SaaS experience, roadmap planning, and leading global scrum teams in an agile environment?

Well versed in DevOps/VSTS, SQL (I write complex queries daily), Aha!, Confluence, etc, etc...

I've only been at it here for 6mos. My plan is to make it a few years and jump companies/levels with more time under my belt.
Dang dude, we just filled a product manager position that would have been right up your alley. I dont even think they started yet
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:52 pm

https://careers-snapone.icims.com/jobs/ ... ote%29/job

We have this open, you could check it out.

Hopefully with your restructure it gets a bit less shitty for you!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Our router product is a bit of a mess though, you’d likely have your work cut out for you.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

In4link

I want that 74 PTO days life.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:22 pm What is considered "work" ? Actually 100% on working and doing nothing else? Or how does one figure being "always on" ? Having work tied to email/calendars etc...

That sounds pretty shitty… I still consider it work if I’m tied to the computer even if sneaking in a quick DFD or whatever.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:47 pm I'm more :rage: about holidays. Now that I work multi-nationally, we get FUCKED in the US. India is off all the time for national Holidays. Canada also always seems to be getting random holidays I've never heard of. US? We get Juneteenth off now, but they took Easter away for that. Awesome. Literally, not a single holiday since Feb.

They just say "take vacation". That's impossible when others are depending on you to keep shit moving. Company holidays are critical for avoiding burn-out, but the almighty dollar is more important I guess.
Easter is on a Sunday bro.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:47 pm I'm more :rage: about holidays. Now that I work multi-nationally, we get FUCKED in the US. India is off all the time for national Holidays. Canada also always seems to be getting random holidays I've never heard of. US? We get Juneteenth off now, but they took Easter away for that. Awesome. Literally, not a single holiday since Feb.

Easter is on a Sunday bro.
Yep, banks and the .gov are closed on Friday for no reason. Glad to see that ending so the calendar aligns better.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I’m logged in to work for 40hr/week, but it’s been years since I actually “worked” more than 30 actual hours in a week. I’d say I realistically do about 20 hours of actual work every week. :thanksbiden:
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:14 pm I’m logged in to work for 40hr/week, but it’s been years since I actually “worked” more than 30 actual hours in a week. I’d say I realistically do about 20 hours of actual work every week. :thanksbiden:
:impressive:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:25 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:14 pm I’m logged in to work for 40hr/week, but it’s been years since I actually “worked” more than 30 actual hours in a week. I’d say I realistically do about 20 hours of actual work every week. :thanksbiden:
:impressive:
I’ll never make great money, but the .gov employment is absolutely the way to go for a low stress job with solid benefits.