14%

Total votes: 14
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:05 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:56 am
Sorta the higher up you go the more meetings you have. This has been the case for the last two decades of my work life.
That is certainly true here as well. One of my many reasons to prefer to stay an 'individual contributor' for as long as I can.
My current spot is pretty sweet. Lead engineer means I’m not actually responsible for others actions. But I get major say in what happens and can delegate work to the team. Pay increase and such too.

Department structure makes no sense to me.
VP
Manager who has 2 direct reports
My manager who has 2.5 direct reports including me

I think they added the sub positions because the single manager was inundated with meetings and couldn’t actually keep track of anything. So the split the department and also gave 2 senior engineers a shot at entry manager positions. Now those 2 guys are loaded with bs meetings and have no time to work. So it didn’t solve anything and just removed 2 workers from the pool lol and it’s causing us to be behind on everything. We have like 8 open positions between the 2 departments.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Forgot about this little .gov perk. The 59 minute rule. Every once in a while, usually on the Thursday or Friday before a holiday weekend, each department will flow down that supervisors at their discretion can let their team go 59 minutes early. They can’t give a full hour, so they push the limit with the 59 :lol: we got it today for Earth Day. Probably get an extra two full days off over the course of a year from those being issued.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:10 pm Forgot about this little .gov perk. The 59 minute rule. Every once in a while, usually on the Thursday or Friday before a holiday weekend, each department will flow down that supervisors at their discretion can let their team go 59 minutes early. They can’t give a full hour, so they push the limit with the 59 :lol: we got it today for Earth Day. Probably get an extra two full days off over the course of a year from those being issued.
:impressive:

Off early on a random day? :mindblown: My boss is usually slacking me till 7-8 to get things done.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:14 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:10 pm Forgot about this little .gov perk. The 59 minute rule. Every once in a while, usually on the Thursday or Friday before a holiday weekend, each department will flow down that supervisors at their discretion can let their team go 59 minutes early. They can’t give a full hour, so they push the limit with the 59 :lol: we got it today for Earth Day. Probably get an extra two full days off over the course of a year from those being issued.

Off early on a random day? :mindblown: My boss is usually slacking me till 7-8 to get things done.
It’s quite nice. I had some actual work to bang out this morning, but I finished everything and now I can just chill and monitor emails until 2:01 then actually shut the computer down.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

This is one :disgust: thing about my boss being in CA, he somewhat regularly hits me up at like 7 PM or later EST. That said, it's a small price to pay for being ignored by him until at least 10 AM daily, and he is fairly hands off in a good way whenever he can be.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:20 pm

It’s quite nice. I had some actual work to bang out this morning, but I finished everything and now I can just chill and monitor emails until 2:01 then actually shut the computer down.
:impressive: :jelly:

My 7am with India was cancelled (I'll pay the price for it on Monday), and my next meeting wasn't until 9 so wife and I went out to breakfast. Was 5/7, left my phone in the truck and came back to a hilarious number of slack messages. :ohwell:

My boss has been quiet today, fortunately. But I need to get some stuff to our clients that I promised "by the end of the week". :lolol: I'll be working till 6 minimum after fires sprang up all week. Yay.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:20 pm

This is one :disgust: thing about my boss being in CA, he somewhat regularly hits me up at like 7 PM or later EST. That said, it's a small price to pay for being ignored by him until at least 10 AM daily, and he is fairly hands off in a good way whenever he can be.
My boss works non stop. No days off, 7am to 7pm always. I don't get it, but it's how he rolls I guess. And he'll send messages at any time asking for the most random stuff. I started ignoring anything that comes in after 6 and handle it the next morning, but damn that screws up my mornings when I've got 7am meetings nearly daily and need to be UP AND ON because India has been working all day by our 7am and FULL of questions.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Yea that’s been my work life since 2016. Tech companies are so much fun aren’t they 😂
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:05 pm Yea that’s been my work life since 2016. Tech companies are so much fun aren’t they 😂
:barf:

I think a lot of our product managers and other roles have to :dealwithit: with many meetings with people in China, Taiwan, etc. When I was in sales for the Western US I was often online until 7 PM or later. Now I can turn off at 5-6 for the most part.

I actually rolled out yesterday right at 5 to go mountain biking after a long week. Well, of course my boss pinged me at 5:30 while I was in the car driving to the trails. I just called him and was able to address his questions without seeing my computer or anything, no idea if he could tell I was in the car, and :aintcare: really.

I do often start at 6 AM but it's more to allow myself a few breaks throughout the day for things like bike rides/work outs, :doge: walks, grocery store trips, etc. as desired.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

I'm at the dealership at 730a daily and depending on the day am done at either 5p or 6p. I typically have 2 6p closing shifts a week, and my "early" days run to about 530 on average.

I work one Saturday every 3 weeks from 9-4 but do get a decent chunk of cash to do it.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

6a-4:30p Mon-Thursday

Then I typically go in for another 4-6hrs on Friday for OT
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Now your turkish breh is working 50 (maybe 60) hours per week until end of December. Then I got a request time off for 5 days, starting with a new years concert then off to ny again with :tits:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:43 pm Now your turkish breh is working 50 (maybe 60) hours per week until end of December. Then I got a request time off for 5 days, starting with a new years concert then off to ny again with :tits:
:disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:43 pm Now your turkish breh is working 50 (maybe 60) hours per week until end of December. Then I got a request time off for 5 days, starting with a new years concert then off to ny again with :tits:
Is that considered overtime?!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

This week is going to be under 40, but that's with two days off starting tomorrow. 50-60 (billable) is normal in the car biz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I’m trying to push a little extra hard lately. Don’t want to be first on the chopping block.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:11 pm
Is that considered overtime?!
Yup!
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.