Treasures of the Great Grand-Huckle

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:10 am Amazing share, very cool stuff.

Have you thought about submitting to the national archives? IDK how much of this kind of detailed photographic accounts they have from WW1, but I would think this would be a good addition in any case.
I reached out to the national WWI museum, but have not heard from them. I have a lot of other stuff of his from WWI that I am working on getting scanned.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:24 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:10 am Amazing share, very cool stuff.

Have you thought about submitting to the national archives? IDK how much of this kind of detailed photographic accounts they have from WW1, but I would think this would be a good addition in any case.
I reached out to the national WWI museum, but have not heard from them. I have a lot of other stuff of his from WWI that I am working on getting scanned.
Such as?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Huckleberry

wap wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:20 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:24 am

Such as?
I have maps that he used during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive, with notes on them marking different things, such as where certain people were killed. I also found a bunch of notebook pages starting in Dec of 2017 with notes that he took reviewing trench digging, explosives, and other items for preparing for the war.
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:06 am
wap wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:20 am
Such as?
I have maps that he used during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive, with notes on them marking different things, such as where certain people were killed. I also found a bunch of notebook pages starting in Dec of 2017 with notes that he took reviewing trench digging, explosives, and other items for preparing for the war.
Sounds 5/7 fascinating. So cool that he did all that and that you still have them and that they are still in decent condition.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

wap wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:08 pm
Calvinball wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:09 pm

Whoa whoa whoa, I refuse to accept any responsibility for the actions of that doofus.
Wait, :wat:
You guys didn't have a falling out, did you?
Or are you just :trollface: ?
No, I just don’t want any responsibility for his actions. He’s got beady eyes, looks untrustworthy
:therapist:
wap

Calvinball wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:03 pm
wap wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:08 pm

Wait, :wat:
You guys didn't have a falling out, did you?
Or are you just :trollface: ?
No, I just don’t want any responsibility for his actions. He’s got beady eyes, looks untrustworthy
:notwrong: :lolol:
Huckleberry

I just got the scans back today. The .tif files are massive: 11 files equating to 2.2 GB in size. I made .jpg copies just to keep the internet from crashing. This was money well-spent.

The first is a roster of the company my great grandfather was in. His name is second from the top:

The first map has notes on it and looks like something he marked up later on for someone to follow on a trip through France:

The back of that same map:

Map #2:

Map #3 is from the Meuse-Argonne Offensive, and has notes on various things, including locations where certain people were killed:

Map #4:

Map #5:

And they were able to do some CSI-esque "Enhance!" on the red text in the upper righthand corner:

Map #6:

Map #7:

Map #8:
wap

:amaze: